• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin |OT| "As if your dreams would ever be fulfilled...

atomsk

Party Pooper
Oh, fantastic Amazon

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IF YOU FUCKING SHIPPED MY PREORDER

:lol

I had a notebook full of what to say at one time. Honestly the game is probably trying to give you fool cards but you're just unlucky.

Teknoman

creid said:
I was so close to liking the Contact system in this game. Once I've figured out the right contact option I write it down, but they usually interrupt me with questions. My choice of answers is usually

Something nice -> You're lying! I'm mad!
Something mean -> What a jerk! I'm mad! (often, these are the only 2 choices)
Something silly -> What?!? I'm scared...

And of course this stuff is too much to write down, so even if I do find a good response, I won't remember it the next time. I haaaaate demon contacting and can't wait until it is completely extinct.

I'd like it if the responses/negotiation styles somewhat made sense. Thats one thing I liked about Nocturne...the questions and replies actually seemed like something a demon/deity might say.

demonkaze

About to pick this up but was curious If the start button is used in this game for anything because the one on my psp doesn't work anymore

Saroyan

atomsk said:
Oh, fantastic Amazon

WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IF YOU FUCKING SHIPPED MY PREORDER

I was going to order a copy today but then I saw that message, from what I read on another forum they were shipping the games out in bubble mailers and the outer boxes are easily crushed. If they got a lot of return requests or complaints about that I'll bet thats why its under review. Oh well, if its not available to order from Amazon by tomorrow I'll probably just buy it from gamestop and pay sales tax to ensure I have a pristine box.

Ainaurdur

Saroyan said:
I was going to order a copy today but then I saw that message, from what I read on another forum they were shipping the games out in bubble mailers and the outer boxes are easily crushed. If they got a lot of return requests or complaints about that I'll bet thats why its under review. Oh well, if its not available to order from Amazon by tomorrow I'll probably just buy it from gamestop and pay sales tax to ensure I have a pristine box.
Yes, there was one person that mentioned theirs arrived in that condition earlier in this thread. Which is odd, for the longest time even with super saver shipping, Amazon has been using cardboard boxes to ship things in. Why they have changed that now, who knows. The last thing I ordered arrived in a box, so not sure if this is a recent broad change, or not.

I just finished chatting with Amazon on live chat and this is what the rep told me when I asked for a replacement.

I'd like to replace this item, but I see that it is currently under review and cannot be replaced.

He offered an $8 refund but I declined since he also mentioned that I can try to get a replacement in a few days.

atomsk

Party Pooper
They never shipped mine in the first place (since it's super saver, they said it would be a few more days) but support is assuring me I'll get a copy.

I know it's a small single print run, so I have my doubts, and I really don't want to end up paying over retail (which is why I fucking preordered in the first place)

Why the fuck my copy didn't ship out the 20th/21st I'll never understand

creid

atomsk said:
Why the fuck my copy didn't ship out the 20th/21st I'll never understand
In my experience, when you pick super saver shipping, Amazon sits on it for a few days before shipping. I think this is the price of free.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
atomsk said:
If the "price of free" means not getting a copy, I'm going to be really annoyed

>He orders Atlus games at Amazon to save a few bucks instead of pre-ordering at Gamestop like a normal person and getting it day one!
> laughingAtluslogo.gif

Sorry to hear that man, but this is why I don't pre-order stuff that I want online. >_>

And I'm going to sit down and finish Seven Sisters High. But I need to figure out how to trigger the rumored sidequest there. I already spread the rumor, so it's a matter of getting them to pop.

TheSeks said:
>He orders Atlus games at Amazon to save a few bucks instead of pre-ordering at Gamestop like a normal person and getting it day one!
> laughingAtluslogo.gif

Sorry to hear that man, but this is why I don't pre-order stuff that I want online. >_>

And I'm going to sit down and finish Seven Sisters High. But I need to figure out how to trigger the rumored sidequest there. I already spread the rumor, so it's a matter of getting them to pop.

Just wander around on the second floor till Hanako shows up.

Credo

KibblesBits said:
Just wander around on the second floor till Hanako shows up.

Speaking of Hanako, there is an optional boss like her in the 3rd dungeon named Bukimi.

After you spread the rumor to make Bukimi appear, be absolutely sure to save before you go back into the dungeon if you care at all about your money. Bukimi can use an attack called Hula of Misfortune that will cut your money in half with each use. In the first fight, I went into it with 80,000 yen and came out with 20,000. It took me 4 reloads before I could get it to not use that attack in the first round.

Credo said:
Speaking of Hanako, there is an optional boss like her in the 3rd dungeon named Bukimi.

After you spread the rumor to make Bukimi appear, be absolutely sure to save before you go back into the dungeon if you care at all about your money. Bukimi can use an attack called Hula of Misfortune that will cut your money in half with each use. In the first fight, I went into it with 80,000 yen and came out with 20,000. It took me 4 reloads before I could get it to not use that attack in the first round.

Hahahahaha. xD

Eusis

Credo said:

Alternatively: blow all your money. Great job halving my 100 yen!

Though I'm not that far, so I guess that depends on if there's even anything good to buy that wasn't available earlier.

Credo

Eusis said:
Alternatively: blow all your money. Great job halving my 100 yen!

Though I'm not that far, so I guess that depends on if there's even anything good to buy that wasn't available earlier.

I normally wait until I'm having a hard time with battles before I start spending a lot on gear, and the game was still easy at that point, so that's why I had that much.

It only took 2 rounds to kill Bukimi, but it was hell-bent on wasting my yen in that first round.

vall03

Credo said:

I just did this a while ago and luckily, it froze in a single Bufu attack with my last retry and I had 200k in me, whew! Heres hoping there won't be more enemies with Hula of Misfortune...

Mine arrived from amazon and had a crease all the way down one side of the case... And I ordered solely for collecting and keeping a sealed copy. Ugh.

Cheska

vall03 said:
I just did this a while ago and luckily, it froze in a single Bufu attack with my last retry and I had 200k in me, whew! Heres hoping there won't be more enemies with Hula of Misfortune...

Wait, how the heck did you have 200K that early on?

vall03

Cheska said:
Wait, how the heck did you have 200K that early on?
I don't know, I just kept on fighting every random encounter with the occasional demon negotiation. I guess its because Im mapping every inch of the dungeon...

TheSeks

vall03 said:

Oh you're going to love the final dungeon... Unless I'm thinking Persona 1.

Just an FYI, for those who received damaged copies from Amazon, I would suggest calling customer service. I am going to get a new copy once they have more, and they gave me a $20 promo!

vall03 said:
I don't know, I just kept on fighting every random encounter with the occasional demon negotiation. I guess its because Im mapping every inch of the dungeon...

same. by the end of the masquerade, I had $200k+. taking the time to get & fully level every persona that becomes available will do that :) ...

vall03

semiconscious said:
same. by the end of the masquerade, I had $200k+. taking the time to get & fully level every persona that becomes available will do that :) ...
speaking of personas, I still havent changed my default ones. According to some posters in gamefaqs, you can finish the game just using those, is this true? Im planning to just continue this and shoot for their ultimate personas in the end...

TheSeks

vall03 said:
speaking of personas, I still havent changed my default ones. According to some posters in gamefaqs, you can finish the game just using those, is this true? Im planning to just continue this and shoot for their ultimate personas in the end...

Sure, but it makes it somewhat harder against some bosses, IIRC. And thinking about it, the damage output starts to slowly degrade/lessen to where you artificially inflate the difficulty.

You can beat the final boss with them, but there's the customs and ultimates of them that are better in damage output for that.

In any case, Just what the hell is Philemon? I don't think he's based on any god/demon myths.

Credo

TheSeks said:
In any case, Just what the hell is Philemon? I don't think he's based on any god/demon myths.

Well, according to this Persona 2 website, Philemon's listing in their "Personae and Monster Mythology" section says this about him:

The mysterious person who lives in "Philemon's Space," which exists in the space between consciousness and unconsciousness. He gave the heroes of the Persona series their Personae, and helps guide them. "Philemon" was described by the psychologist Jung as a facet of the personality that sleeps within your subconsciousness, and guides you in your dreams when you're in trouble.

So I looked up Philemon on Wikipedia, found one of the listings related to Carl Jung, and this is what it says:

The Red Book was a product of a technique developed by Jung which he termed active imagination. As Jung described it, he was visited by two figures, an old man and a young woman, who identified themselves as Elijah and Salome. They were accompanied by a large black snake. In time, the Elijah figure developed into a guiding spirit that Jung called Philemon (ΦΙΛΗΜΩΝ, as originally written with Greek letters). Salome was identified by Jung as an anima figure. The figures, according to Jung, "brought home to me the crucial insight that there are things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which produce themselves and have their own life." The Philemon figure represented superior insight and communicated through mythic imagery. The images did not appear to come from Jung's own experience and Jung interpreted them as products of the collective unconscious.

Sciel

Trying to give the game a second chance after giving up on the translated emulated version. About 7-9 hours in and its becoming a bit of a chore to play. Does the game get much better character/storyline wise?

I'm currently
just past Mu and really not feeling the characters/story all that much. The high school takeover arc with the student council president was horribly nonsencial and silly for me.

atomsk

Party Pooper
DigitalDevil said:
Just an FYI, for those who received damaged copies from Amazon, I would suggest calling customer service. I am going to get a new copy once they have more, and they gave me a $20 promo!
With a limited print run? Man, I really hope they ship me one to begin with.

Zwei

ah man, you guys got me scared; my copy is set to arrive in a few hours.. we'll see how this turns out.

TheSeks

All the fusion spells you learn/find are kept in that listing in this version, yes?

I also seem to be missing "Lisa's Cantonese Lesson #3" as I went 1/2/4. :/

atomsk said:
With a limited print run? Man, I really hope they ship me one to begin with.

Well they said they are getting more copies, and even if they don't I ended up getting the game for a net $20 so I can live with a little crease on one side of the box.

Hope you get yours soon :(

When did you pre-order?

cj_iwakura

TheSeks said:
All the fusion spells you learn/find are kept in that listing in this version, yes?

Sheesh, I went straight to 9 after Sevens.

atomsk

Party Pooper
DigitalDevil said:
Well they said they are getting more copies, and even if they don't I ended up getting the game for a net $20 so I can live with a little crease on one side of the box.

Hope you get yours soon :(

When did you pre-order?

August 8th

Could care less about the cardboard box condition, just want to make sure I get the game

Credo said:
Well, according to this Persona 2 website, Philemon's listing in their "Personae and Monster Mythology" section says this about him...

well done. what i've always loved about the megaten games: underneath the twisted humor & melodrama, they feature more obscure information & bizarre references than any 12 other franchises put together :) ...

TheSeks

cj_iwakura said:
Sheesh, I went straight to 9 after Sevens.

Yeah, I'm not sure if they did this intentionally but it's screwy. No big deal as I don't recall any of the lessons being used for anything later.

Also I've learned about four fusion spells so far experimenting with just the default personas and order. I love the new cut-away scenes. Feels like the All-out-attacks of P3/4. I just hope the list stays because I'm going to get a few new Personas and tweak the orders again and see what I get.

TheSeks said:

Same thing happened to me, and of course I immediately had to drop everything and revisit every location. (Clearly this is the perfect game for me!) If you leave Sevens and go back to the ramen shop right after getting Maya and Yuki, she gives you lesson #3 there.

TheSeks

perfect free said:
Same thing happened to me, and of course I immediately had to drop everything and revisit every location. (Clearly this is the perfect game for me!) If you leave Sevens and go back to the ramen shop right after getting Maya and Yuki, she gives you lesson #3 there.

Got it. Now to go back through everything for Maya and Yukino's lines.

cj_iwakura

Some characters get new dialogue just because Yuki and Maya joined?

I only just talked to them, since everything else seemed the same.

TheSeks

cj_iwakura said:
Some characters get new dialogue just because Yuki and Maya joined?

I only just talked to them, since everything else seemed the same.

I dunno. But you guys got me being anal about wanting to see the new contact options I may have missed.

Also is there a guide for the
questions for the ultimate personas
? Spoiler it if you must. Because I forget the trigger points.

If you guys keep the damn starters beyond Zodiac, you are playing the game wrong. Sure you can use them until you get the customs but the whole point of the game is to try different persona setups and discover fusions.

Also why is Hard mode so damn easy? I barely get hit for more than 20 damage and that's when a character is weak to something.

TheSeks

Hecatonchires Custom said:
If you guys keep the damn starters beyond Zodiac, you are playing the game wrong. Sure you can use them until you get the customs but the whole point of the game is to try different persona setups and discover fusions.

Some people are coming from P3/4, cut them some slack.

Also why is Hard mode so damn easy? I barely get hit for more than 20 damage and that's when a character is weak to something.

I agree with this... so far. Maybe
Le Germany Army
makes it harder.

cj_iwakura

TheSeks said:
Some people are coming from P3/4, cut them some slack.

I agree with this... so far. Maybe
Le Germany Army
makes it harder.

The
Holy Lance Knights
can be pretty tough, but the
Great Father
will probably be hell.

Zwei

so, my copy arrived with a hellified double-crease on the back side. what the hell happened? lol

I guess Amazon's packaging feedback means nothing. :|

Credo

TheSeks said:

Dug up a little bit more about Philemon from the characters section on this Persona 2 Innocent Sin super site:

Everyone's favorite masked weirdo! Philemon was the spirit guide for Carl Gustav Jung, the Swiss psychologist whose works and ideas form the basis of the Persona games. Jung said that Philemon had been guiding him ever since he was young. At first he thought that Philemon was merely a version of himself, but then he came to think that Philemon was an aspect of his psyche that he himself had not created. Jung drew pictures of various things, mostly dreams, and collected them in his Red Book. (If you don't know, in the Persona Tsumi to Batsu manga, there is a Red Book and a Black Book filled with personae, and Kaneko Kazuma's artbooks of demon art have been the Red Book and the Black Book; the third artbook in that series was the Purple Book.) Jung's version of Philemon was a stern-looking elderly man with wings and a halo, who carried a set of keys.

Philemon's trademarks are the golden butterfly and the mask. The butterfly is the symbol of the immortal soul in many cultures. In classical Greek, the word for the soul - psychi - was also the word for butterfly. (They're different words in modern Greek.) This word has come down into English as the word psyche. Since Philemon is a guide of the soul, blah blah, he takes the form of a butterfly.

I'm spoilering one of the sentences in the next section because I know some GAFfers are very sensitive to spoilers, although I don't think it's anything that will spoil the story:

The mask motif is amusing, really. All over the Persona games you see masks. Philemon, the Masquerade members and Executives, the Joker - all of them wear masks. One might initially assume that it's just to hide their identities, but it's actually significant and symbolic, of course. "Persona" was the Latin term for the mask worn by actors to indicate what role they were playing at the time. Nobody uses it in that sense anymore; a persona in modern English is used in the psychological sense. A persona is an aspect of your personality (look at the word!), or a role you're playing at the time. Musicians have "stage persona," etc etc. It's the way you act in different situations; you aren't the same person around your friends, parents, and employer, are you?
As children, Tatsuya and his friends played with masks, because with the mask on, they were "allowed to be someone else."
That's the essence of a psychological persona.

Now, a crapload of the concepts in the Persona games comes straight out of Jung's writings - the animus, anima, collective unconsciousness, Shadow, persona, blah blah.

Top Bottom