• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

I am a bit concerned that they didn't have a test print lying around to demonstrate. Everybody should do test prints, especially on an analogue medium such a vinyl, especially of something that's you'll be giving away a couple thousand copies of. I'm concerned that they may screw the vinyl up.

cj_iwakura

The backgrounds are excellent. I'll agree with that at least. My only thing there is that the literal environments are so uncreative. Where is the Velvet Room? Or Tartarus? Or Gekkoukan?

Because (real spoilers)
the setting is inside the TV world, so of course all the environments are based around P4.

I still wish they'd done a couple special ones like Magatsu Inaba or even Izanami's realm, but ah well.

Dantis

Because (real spoilers)
the setting is inside the TV world, so of course all the environments are based around P4.

I know, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

Making the plot so silly, and then keeping that so sensible is such a weird decision.

FluxWaveZ

The backgrounds are excellent. I'll agree with that at least. My only thing there is that the literal environments are so uncreative. Where is the Velvet Room? Or Tartarus? Or Gekkoukan?

Because (real spoilers)

I still wish they'd done a couple special ones like Magatsu Inaba or even Izanami's realm, but ah well.

Like cj said, fighting in Tartarus, Gekkoukan and even the Velvet Room would make absolutely no sense narratively and that's an important part for the roster and background decisions in P4A. Also, some of this is covered in the P4A art book which has concept art for some more outlandish stages.

Dantis

Like cj said, fighting in Tartarus, Gekkoukan and even the Velvet Room would make absolutely no sense narratively and that's an important part for the roster and background decisions in P4A. Also, some of this is covered in the P4A art book which has concept art for some more outlandish stages.

No sense narratively, in Persona 4 Arena.

Lol.

None of the game makes sense narratively. It's very silly.

EDIT: Just to briefly elaborate on this before I go to sleep, I'm referring to (Real spoilers)
the whole invisible wall thing, tournament set up, and most of all, the reason the characters are fighting each other. Astoundingly silly. If they can write that in, surely they can write in Gekkoukan?

FluxWaveZ

Lol.

You mean compared to the logic of our own world? I don't think those kinds of counter-points work as every story in fiction takes place in a world ruled by its own sets of rules and logic. Much like why Atlus stated the reason for the inclusion of certain P3 characters was because "it made sense", so does that justify their selection for the stages in P4A. Story was obviously a limiting factor in their decisions concerning P4A, for better or for worse, but that's still the reason for the most essential elements of the game.

EDIT: Just to briefly elaborate on this before I go to sleep, I'm referring to (Real spoilers)
the whole invisible wall thing, tournament set up, and most of all, the reason the characters are fighting each other. Astoundingly silly. If they can write that in, surely they can write in Gekkoukan?

Not really? A lot of the plot points feel crafted or even forced specifically so that the game could take place in the context of a fighting tournament, but the stages they decided on including is directly related to the plot (as well as being fan service at the same time).

P4A Spoilers
Since P4A takes place primarily in Labrys' dungeon, places I believe she's never seen before like Gekkoukan or Tartarus wouldn't make much sense, not to mention they wouldn't have any place in the dungeon world given the fact that it's the manifestation of her subconscious wishes.

Dantis

You mean compared to the logic of our own world? I don't think those kinds of counter-points work as every story in fiction takes place in a world ruled by its own sets of rules and logic. Much like why Atlus stated the reason for the inclusion of certain P3 characters was because "it made sense", so does that justify their selection for the stages in P4A. Story was obviously a limiting factor in their decisions concerning P4A, for better or for worse, but that's still the reason for the most essential elements of the game.

That's not what I mean, read my edit.

Lol.

Being silly and making sense are two different things. Adventure Time is very silly, and yet everything that happens in the plot has a rational cause-and-effect, even if that cause-and-effect is magic-and-silliness. Conversely, everything that happens in P4A is pretty well-explained, almost to the point of fault at times. The reason you can't fight in Tartarus or Gekkoukan is that
Tartarus was destroyed at the end of P3 and the game's story is entirely centralized in Inaba, meaning it would make no sense to randomly travel several dozen miles to a school which none of the characters currently attend.
It makes total and perfect sense.

FluxWaveZ

At the least they could've given some P3 themed stages that were only for versus mode.

That's the thing, though. For better or for worse, they've stated that their decisions were made with a main focus on how those elements related to the story. If they didn't care about story limitations, I bet DLC of other popular Persona characters or stages unrelated to P4A's story would have been a real possibility.

Then again, there were other weird aesthetic decisions they made such as not having I'll Face Myself -Battle- as the P4 character mirror match-up theme, as Shadow Labrys' theme or even as a selectable song.

That's the thing, though. For better or for worse, they've stated that their decisions were made with a main focus on how those elements related to the story. If they didn't care about story limitations, I bet DLC of other popular Persona characters or stages unrelated to P4A's story would have been a real possibility.

Fun fact: Originally, Ryoutaro Dojima was supposed to be a playable character who would summon Nanako in lieu of a Persona. He was axed because apparently ArcSys doesn't know what "fun" means, but has been long rumoured to be a planned DLC character.

cluderi

Didn't you just get a 3DS yesterday? I mean I own one too, and I love to complain about region locking, but I suppose I'm just as much a part of the problem

Yep I got a Us 3DS XL so I'm part of the problem too. Doing this for one title and then delaying the release and then charging full price is just that one bit too far for me (especially at Aus full price)

Anyhow I hope people enjoy it.

PK Gaming

Fun fact: Originally, Ryoutaro Dojima was supposed to be a playable character who would summon Nanako in lieu of a Persona. He was axed because apparently ArcSys doesn't know what "fun" means, but has been long rumoured to be a planned DLC character.

Hmm, the person who posted that thread seems familiar

More P4A sprite goodness:

tumblr_inline_mg6u7tOqjl1qjfysu.gif

you should strongly consider listening to this song while looking at the sprite

5E48Z.png

Hmm, the person who posted that thread seems familiar

Why do you think I chose that specific source? ;P

Ha; I almost never see that animation because I'm always dashing around and bouncing off the walls and crap. I love Yosuke's whiffed grab animation though; it almost makes him looks like he's doing the Safety Dance.

Screw scoring with hot studs; Kanji scores with everyone. Good show, chap.

Cheska

I'm in the US but I'd love to own that spiffy limited edition. I tried searching for it on GAME but couldn't find the one that comes with all those extra things. Where are we able to order form that ships to NA?

I am a bit concerned that they didn't have a test print lying around to demonstrate. Everybody should do test prints, especially on an analogue medium such a vinyl, especially of something that's you'll be giving away a couple thousand copies of. I'm concerned that they may screw the vinyl up.

WHAT could go wrong , lol ..they can't do audio cds properly as goodies , so i have no doubt they will manage a vinyl.

That was sarcasm BTW

akaoni

Banned
I'm in the US but I'd love to own that spiffy limited edition. I tried searching for it on GAME but couldn't find the one that comes with all those extra things. Where are we able to order form that ships to NA?

Is it just me, or is the Vinyl no longer listed as a preorder bonus on GAME's website?

To get the vinyl you had to preorder before 23:59GMT on the 6th of May, so the offer ended over 3 hours ago.

EDIT; If they break my heart with the vinyl... I'm trying to be optimistic but you aren't helping! Maybe I deserve it for what more or less feels like scalping..

Dwayne

To get the vinyl you had to preorder before 23:59GMT on the 6th of May, so the offer ended over 3 hours ago.I

EDIT; If they break my heart with the vinyl... I'm trying to be optimistic but you aren't helping! Maybe I deserve it for what more or less feels like scalping..

Only available in one store, in one country, only with preorders, and only with preorders within a specific time period before release

niiiice. Oh well :) Thanks for the note.

Vexxan

Ordered from WowHD last night for about £26, their site said it will be shipped on release day so I'm getting it sometime next week I hope. Got plenty of games to play already so I'm in no hurry.

Dantis

Dojima was actually vetoed by Atlus. Arcsys wanted to put him in, but apparently the guys at Atlus actually got somewhat angry about it.

TheChaos0

Dojima was actually vetoed by Atlus. Arcsys wanted to put him in, but apparently the guys at Atlus actually got somewhat angry about it.

That would be kinda weird but I can imagine Dojima shouting NANAKO! instead of Persona! to summer her. Every Day's Great at your JUNESS!!!!!!

Sophia

Most likely they couldn't find a way to figure out how to give Dojima a Persona within the plot they wrote up.

Mine shipped this morning too. Hoping this arrives by Thursday.

1 More!

Do GAME ship first class then or do you just get lucky? Never bought anything from GAME before, always ShopTo.

Everything I've ordered from GAME has been first class but this is the first time I've pre-ordered from them.

Kyari

Oh phew, didn't realise the vinyl was a limited time preorder thing but got mine in yesterday. Also shipped today so there's that.

akaoni

Banned
Oh phew, didn't realise the vinyl was a limited time preorder thing but got mine in yesterday. Also shipped today so there's that.

It was easy to miss. It stated it in relatively small grey text (white background) beneath the promo image. It was also only 1 per customer if my memory serves me right or it might have been 1 per 10 orders... Should've pasted it in here so people knew, I feel like a dick.

Omikaru

So guys, I am absolutely down for a game (not surprising to those of you who frequent Steam and IRC PersonaGAF). I should be getting the game either tomorrow, Thursday or Friday, and on the first day I'll probably be doing story mode and learning the game, but I'll definitely be up for PS3 version online multiplayer on Friday past 7pm UK time. Maybe even sooner, if I get the game before that.

PSN: Omikaru

If you want to add me, just say who you are on GAF in the friend request, or let me know on here what your PSN ID is. Last time I put up my PSN ID on GAF without warranty a basement dweller added me and asked me to ask a mod to approve their account. :/

We'll probably be organising games on the PersonaGAF IRC and Steam chat, on my end for PS3 but I assume there will be 360 players looking for games too, but I'll gladly post details in here for anyone who isn't interested in the chat rooms, and also organising games in this thread too (that's what it's for, after all).

Dantis

OST for this game (like a persona game should) is very good, have been blasting it for months

It's not a patch on Persona 3 or 4's OSTs. The Meguro tracks range from decent to really good, but Kitajoh tracks (Which make up most of the OST) are really hit and miss.

The Arrange OST is alright though.

I had lost all excitement for this game months ago, but upon seeing that vinyl my body started to tingle a just a little bit.

Then I saw that game.co.uk will not ship bonuses outside of the United Kingdom. Bummer dude.

Omikaru

So hey, I'm looking over the P4 Arena "Digital Fan Pack", and it's surprisingly cool. If this was pre-social media and fansites were still the best places for hardcore fans to gather, this fan pack would be a really cool thing to make a site with. They've even included the Photoshop files, whether accidentally or on purpose. At any rate, mine now. :D

Hey, how much does the story mode spoil for P4? I have yet to finish that game.

I don't know, but considering it's a direct sequel to P4, I'd finish P4.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
what do you mean by sprite size? kof13's are clearly smaller than bb's in the picture. or are you comparing to something else?

I said "sprite size AND quality" because it has the best balance, whereas BB sacrifices animation quality for sprite detail.

1 More!

Do GAME ship first class then or do you just get lucky? Never bought anything from GAME before, always ShopTo.

They seem to ship first class. In fact, lately they seem to be operating similarly to ShopDeux with getting a preorder out 'for release' (ie arriving one day before street date) rather than 'on release'.

Not to stray too far off topic here, but I tend to favour Amazon for my online orders as ST well and truly burned their bridges with me, after a couple of terrible examples of customer service from them. If I'm ordering from GAME, it's usually where my hands are tied as a result of a particularly enticing preorder bonus.

Andrefpvs

Won my first online fight by mashing buttons (I still haven't played lesson mode). I'm terrible at fighters. :3

Also, the trophy list appears to be global (shared with N. America and Japan). It's also named "Persona 4 ARENA Trophy", which annoys me to no end.

The game seems to be really good, but I'll put Story mode on hold until I finish my second playthrough of Persona 4 Golden (need to see Margaret's NG+ content for the first time).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Won my first online fight by mashing buttons (I still haven't played lesson mode). I'm terrible at fighters. :3

Also, the trophy list appears to be global (shared with N. America and Japan). It's also named "Persona 4 ARENA Trophy", which annoys me to no end.

Grats! winning in P4A feels so good. Part of me even enjoys when people ragequit during an instant kill animation.

Top Bottom