• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Sophia

Thanks. The counters are actually the last thing I'm learning due to their delays, but I'd like to use them in strings to set up the opposite side-C or even sphere flame from a distance.

The counters are difficult, it's why they've taken me so long to learn now. Actually, everything about Aigis is difficult. Pretty much everything she does outside of Origa mode is easily punishable if you can read your opponent. ><;

get rid of the knife for when you hear labrys voice and you want to stab your ears

There's a special place in Tartarus for Labrys haters. :(

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm really curious about her accent. Haven't heard her dialogue all that well yet on the streams. I know she's got a Jersey accent apparently which seems like an odd choice.

Grifter

I'll add you guys to the community list soon - be sure to note if you are on 360 or PS3 so it's easier to find, thanks! Also great matches in The Steakhouse, I had my notifications off on PS3 so I didn't see invites, but thanks for the invites anyway :)

Forgot about this, would you add me?
Grifter - 360 - Grifter 181 - Aigis/Yu (Naoto?) - Upstate NY

The counters are difficult, it's why they've taken me so long to learn now. Actually, everything about Aigis is difficult. Pretty much everything she does outside of Origa mode is easily punishable if you can read your opponent. ><;

The fast combos are giving me Millia training flashbacks. I'm trying to combo into orgia mode more instead of just starting it. Trying.

Sophia

I'm really curious about her accent. Haven't heard her dialogue all that well yet on the streams. I know she's got a Jersey accent apparently which seems like an odd choice.

I find it rather charming. So does Teddy. :D

The fast combos are giving me Millia training flashbacks. I'm trying to combo into orgia mode more instead of just starting it. Trying.

To be perfectly honest, I'm about ready to switch to another character entirely. Aigis is pointlessly difficult and quite possibly one of the hardest characters to learn. Sure, she's awesome, but there isn't much point to her awesomeness in low level play. I could play any other character and learn much faster.

Grifter

To be perfectly honest, I'm about ready to switch to another character entirely. Aigis is pointlessly difficult and quite possibly one of the hardest characters to learn. Sure, she's awesome, but there isn't much point to her awesomeness in low level play. I could play any other character and learn much faster.

Glad it's not just me, I guess. I like execution-heavy characters but don't have the time to practice as much now and just dropped KoF because of that. Aigis is also feeling less and less like the characters I've had success with and I was kinda hoping to join friends for a tourney in Philly soon and may need to simplify to be ready. Hanging in for now cuz I love her look!

Sophia

First one is good.

Yeah. I don't mind the Yukiko track either, even if it's above-average at best.

Glad it's not just me, I guess. I like execution-heavy characters but don't have the time to practice as much now and just dropped KoF because of that. Aigis is also feeling less and less like the characters I've had success with and I was kinda hoping to join friends for a tourney in Philly soon and may need to simplify to be ready. Hanging in for now cuz I love her look!

To give you an idea. My ranked win ratio for Aigis is around 26%. My win ratio for Yukiko? Over 50%.

I have no doubt that if I switched to Narukami or Yosuke and continued to learned them I could maintain similar ratios to Yukiko at the moment.

Having an actual arcade stick so that I don't get frantic in the heat of the moment would help wonders... but I have no money now so bleh.

Whoa now, I don't even know what that means. I actually opened the game today. It's still in the case, but that's progress since I won't be returning it anymore.

Well what are you waiting for then? Go play it. Story mode awaits you and Labrys needs rescuing!

Mitsuru's standing A = best jab of all time?

Nigh unpunishable and a godlike option select that leads to a mixup or corner carry? YES PLEASE.

I've been bodying fools left and right with this poke.

A xx Sweep xx Coup Droit B foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

Sloosha

I've been feeling the same way. Think I might go with Chie after all

What Aigis BnB's have you been using?

Astral

Challenge mode is such a tease. So far I've tried Yu's, Yukiko's, and Yosuke's and they were all so easy up until around 26. That's when the game decides to make you its bitch. I beat Yu's but only made it to 30 with Yosuke and 26 with Yukiko.

Onemic

Mitsuru's standing A = best jab of all time?

Nigh unpunishable and a godlike option select that leads to a mixup or corner carry? YES PLEASE.

I've been bodying fools left and right with this poke.

A xx Sweep xx Coup Droit B foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

the 5AxxSweep doesn't link does it?

fo sho
Yeah, my mixup is pretty terrible. Even the one combo that I know was never finished. And I connected it a grand total of two times. Anyway, GGs. Mitsuru is scary.

I finally got most of my combo in the last game lol

And I should probably super more, I give people too many chances relying on nothing but pokes and blockstrings.

the 5AxxSweep doesn't link does it?

It does on counter hit and canceling sweep into coup droit makes it safe, and you can get a mixup after

it's a counter-hit combo or two frame traps

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit i need to take a break GG

I was getting handed early with 6-4, ended up 8-10 and then lost next set.

GG
GGs lol

I think you figured out how to zone aigis better. The healing spam was really hard to deal with since it barely reduced your health to blue when you used it. It effectively took away my close range rushdown for a while lol. As you noticed I didn't manage to get off an orgia bnb on you at all the second half.

Started to bait them near the end but playing so defensively made time run out fast :(

Sloosha

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14472-Aigis-Combo-Thread

Been trying to follow the simpler ones here, but they're fucking difficult compared to other characters. Her auto is pretty weak too, not much damage and if you follow it to the end (or manually input the special) you're left potentially open.

I've been learning those too. Just realized I've been reading the jump cancel notation as J.C.

The full Auto combo video is a nice reference as well.

Grifter

To give you an idea. My ranked win ratio for Aigis is around 26%. My win ratio for Yukiko? Over 50%.

I have no doubt that if I switched to Narukami or Yosuke and continued to learned them I could maintain similar ratios to Yukiko at the moment.
I've played several locals and been winning, but it just feels like they have to learn to fight her right and what to look for. I'm a bit lost when Kanji wants to camp out, for example. Right now, I just space around for a knockdown and try to overwhelm with orgia mixups, rinse, repeat.

Playing day one Yu like he's Ky has been easier.

Onemic

fo sho

I finally got most of my combo in the last game lol

And I should probably super more, I give people too many chances relying on nothing but pokes and blockstrings.

It does on counter hit and canceling sweep into coup droit makes it safe, and you can get a mixup after

it's a counter-hit combo or two frame traps

It cant frame trap someone mashing grab though. At least my testing on a dummy, it just catches jabs.

Apharmd

I really need to work on my combos in a match situation. Way too many times when I'm trying to combo into a 214D it ends up coming out 5D and Izanagi gets exposed.

I know it's boring but I think tomorrow's just going to be an execution day. Like, hours of combos.

I guess since I'm new to fighters this shouldn't be unexpected.

I run into the same problem. 5D's a great move, I just don't want it to come out when I need my electric slide! ;_;

What'd be a good goal to aim for? Being able to combo into 214D 50 times straight with no errors?

mollipen

Posted earlier in the thread:

It's one of the big problems in translations from Japanese: Osakaben. Japanese dialects don't always have a great equivalent in English, and Osakaben/Kansaiben is popular in things like anime and gaming due to many reasons (one of which is because it's awesome).

There's no really good way to bring over the impact that Osakaben has in Japanese, and many companies have tried even more attempts as doing so.

GGs lol

I think you figured out how to zone aigis better. The healing spam was really hard to deal with since it barely reduced your health to blue when you used it. It effectively took away my close range rushdown for a while lol. As you noticed I didn't manage to get off an orgia bnb on you at all the second half.

Started to bait them near the end but playing so defensively made time run out fast :(

yeah I was dropping all my anti-air 5A combos =X. Half way through I remember 5A is jump cancelable so I went into that. Fighting Aigis is hard. One hit bnb and I take 40% but I can't just save burst for that since I rather have you lose the momentum.

Shit was so good, both of us were adapting on the fly. It was to the point where I was persona broken and we were both still cautious rofl.

Was mad fun. Now you have yukiko experience and I have Aigis. Will play more somewhere down the line.

edit

Will think about our matches and maybe post some after thought. Mad probs with your pressure though. Realized somewhere during the game that if I tech late I can avoid the howitzer looking oki.

2nd edit

Yeah you were baiting my dp a lot more. But at the same time I was using my dp a lot more than I normally do. I realized early on that dp was free gtfo against orgia after the dash.

mollipen

Why a Jersey accent though? Does it sound anything remotely like Osakaben?

Nothing sounds like Osakaben, because Japanese dialects don't work that way.

Basically, Osakaben/Kansaiben is seen as more of a "rough" form of Japanese, thus the reason I suppose why things like a Jersey / Texas / etc. accent are tried when doing the conversion over to English.

Sophia

Holy shit at Mitsuru's Auto/BnBs.

Why a Jersey accent though? Does it sound anything remotely like Osakaben?

Not really, but there's no real equivalent to a Kansai accent. At least the Boston accent she has is a far better choice and the stereotypes actually fit the character's personality. I would have strangled someone at Atlus if they pulled a Texan accent...

Valnen

I played a bit of this today with a friend. My initial impressions would say it's FAR less execution heavy than most Capcom fighters and gets you into learning strategy right away. It feels really nice.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14472-Aigis-Combo-Thread

Been trying to follow the simpler ones here, but they're fucking difficult compared to other characters. Her auto is pretty weak too, not much damage and if you follow it to the end (or manually input the special) you're left potentially open.
I recommend doing (2A) 2A 5B 2AB as your primary normal mode bnb for now. It also serves as a decent basic blockstring since it gives you options. I'm pretty sure most of the hits are +frames or neutral on block so you can stop anytime or stagger the hits if your opponent respects you.

On 2AB HIT, you have a mixup game of canceling into either 2/5D or 214A.
- 2/5D cancel lets you bait DPs or rush in with an instant air dash JB to pressure.
- 214A cancel on block lets you run in and 2A->pressure string or run in and reset with 5B 2B 2AB
- 214A cancel on hit lets you run in and 5B JB JB JC(2hit) for 2.5k damage

On 2AB BLOCK, cancel into 2D and block (if your opponent is familiar with the setup and runs in to throw, 2A into combo.

Lastly, and most importantly, 2AB on HIT also lets you cancel into 22A for orgia mode as well, which will let you pressure pretty well if you boost immediately since the opponent will be waking up from the knockdown. Of course watch out for wakeup reversals when rushing in. If it's too laggy or your execution isn't good enough to do the 5AA 22B 5C SBmegido/cannon activation then this is the best way to activate orgia.

edit - wrote 2C in the bnb, actually meant 2AB, the sweep

Esura

Banned
Naoto's is unblockable, of course blocking isn't doing anything

I hate Instant Kills so much. Its possibly the single freaking element of the entire game I despise so far.

*see portrait flashing
*anticipate player using IK
*player does it*
*sit in corner blocking while opponent is at the other end of screen
*I laugh
*crosshair hits me
*hears "The Fog" plays
*.....fuuu

Getting hit by those just one time to me is worse than losing 100 times in a row. Its like...the equivalent of getting perfected by a Dan or losing to a Hsien Ko.

I love that Brooklyn accent.

Sophia

Narukami's IK is scary as fuck holy shit.

This is the only one that really scares me... that and maybe Kanji's if I'm in a corner and being frantic.

Worst super is the goddamn teddie ball.

That one's easy to avoid, and it's hilarious to get hit by it anyhow. :p

I played a bit of this today with a friend. My initial impressions would say it's FAR less execution heavy than most Capcom fighters and gets you into learning strategy right away. It feels really nice.

Yup, it's very nice.

I recommend doing (2A) 2A 5B 2AB as your primary normal mode bnb for now. It also serves as a decent basic blockstring since it gives you options. I'm pretty sure most of the hits are +frames or neutral on block so you can stop anytime or stagger the hits if your opponent respects you.

On 2AB HIT, you have a mixup game of canceling into either 2/5D or 214A.
- 2/5D cancel lets you bait DPs or rush in with an instant air dash JB to pressure.
- 214A cancel on block lets you run in and 2A->pressure string or run in and reset with 5B 2B 2AB
- 214A cancel on hit lets you run in and 5B JB JB JC(2hit) for 2.5k damage

On 2AB BLOCK, cancel into 2D and block (if your opponent is familiar with the setup and runs in to throw, 2A into combo.

Lastly, and most importantly, 2AB on HIT also lets you cancel into 22A for orgia mode as well, which will let you pressure pretty well if you boost immediately since the opponent will be waking up from the knockdown. Of course watch out for wakeup reversals when rushing in. If it's too laggy or your execution isn't good enough to do the 5AA 22B 5C SBmegido/cannon activation then this is the best way to activate orgia.

edit - wrote 2C in the bnb, actually meant 2AB, the sweep

Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a shot once I go back to playing Aigis either later tonight or tomorrow.

Top Bottom