• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

I hate Instant Kills so much. Its possibly the single freaking element of the entire game I despise so far.

*see portrait flashing
*anticipate player using IK
*player does it*
*sit in corner blocking while opponent is at the other end of screen
*I laugh
*crosshair hits me
*hears "The Fog" plays
*.....fuuu

Thank god I play Yukiko and don't have to deal with that bullshit. Dia all day

Toski

Yosuke reminds me of UMvC3 Strider, except crappier. His damage output is decent if the opponent doesn't recover, but he doesn't have good normals except for j.B (5B is merely ok IMO) and if you whiff a crescent slash close to a mash happy Kanji or Akihiko you can kiss your ass goodbye.

mondos123

Can you give invite privileges to people?

Is there a way to do that? Would make things easier. And I think I added everyone to my friends list that wanted to be on the chat. I need to invite you when you accept. If I missed anyone or if you want in on the chat let me know.

HiiiLife

I weep because I'm forced to watch/read about Persona 4 Arena. As much as I love fighting games, im tight on my money. I've also been trying to get games on sales this year and so far, have been doing good.

Plz drop soon. Or some sale somewhere. Even a 30 or 40 price tag would suffice!

Toski

Is there a way to do that? Would make things easier. And I think I added everyone to my friends list that wanted to be on the chat. I need to invite you when you accept. If I missed anyone or if you want in on the chat let me know.

I'll join, don't know how much I will chat though.

PSN: OutlawViper

Onemic

Added another 5A to your frame trap beard. It actually makes it even better barring any mess ups with record. Safe on everything at any range(including grabs) but DP's.

So 5AA xx Sweep xx Coup Droit B

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
yeah I was dropping all my anti-air 5A combos =X. Half way through I remember 5A is jump cancelable so I went into that. Fighting Aigis is hard. One hit bnb and I take 40% but I can't just save burst for that since I rather have you lose the momentum.

Shit was so good, both of us were adapting on the fly. It was to the point where I was persona broken and we were both still cautious rofl.

Was mad fun. Now you have yukiko experience and I have Aigis. Will play more somewhere down the line.

edit

Will think about our matches and maybe post some after thought. Mad probs with your pressure though. Realized somewhere during the game that if I tech late I can avoid the howitzer looking oki.

2nd edit

Yeah you were baiting my dp a lot more. But at the same time I was using my dp a lot more than I normally do. I realized early on that dp was free gtfo against orgia after the dash.

Yea adapting on the fly is a sign of us both getting better at the matchup lol. Yukiko's normals actually have pretty good range, and go into combo/blockstring on hit.

One thing that you might want to consider is figuring out a blockstring that gives you more options for high/low mixup or lets you reset pressure. Once you started it I pretty much just had to block the first hit high and the rest low and not worry about any real followup. It eats up the clock pretty well though (;´Д`)

Geneijin

I weep because I'm forced to watch/read about Persona 4 Arena. As much as I love fighting games, im tight on my money. I've also been trying to get games on sales this year and so far, have been doing good.

Plz drop soon. Or some sale somewhere. Even a 30 or 40 price tag would suffice!
fyi: the best you'll do is $50 from newegg.com or the Fry's sale ($50 too) unless it ended already.

Yea adapting on the fly is a sign of us both getting better at the matchup lol. Yukiko's normals actually have pretty good range, and go into combo/blockstring on hit.

One thing that you might want to consider is figuring out a blockstring that gives you more options for high/low mixup or lets you reset pressure. Once you started it I pretty much just had to block the first hit high and the rest low and not worry about any real followup. It eats up the clock pretty well though (;´Д`)

The problem is her mixup isn't really good against the better rushdown. The range of 2a isn't as fast nor does it cover much distance.

I couldn't do my high/low persona attack because well... your bullets counter that one. I learned real fast that I can't do that since on reaction you could 2b (i think its 2b) it and I get nothing out of it.

I started using the fire floor move (maragi I think?) to create further pressure with block stun. After awhile I realized I couldn't RTSD against an Aigis since I'll lose so I had to play patient with nonstop pressure and bait mistakes. I'm loving yukiko's playstyle, its so ideal for me to get in that mid range area and just walk people into corners. I find it amusing to say the least that Yukiko can create such high pressure against rushdown characters
barring mitsu and slabs

But man your rushdown was relentless. Everytime I was in the corner I was like "FML". At least I can block a decent amount of those high/lows. If anything if you get me in the corner the match is literally over rofl.

Onemic

EDIT: Ya it is shorter, guess you have two options then. The 5AA would be more ideal when you're closer than max range normally.

EDIT 2: Looks like it's about 2 very slight taps shorter than 5A.

EDIT 2: Looks like it's about 2 very slight taps shorter than 5A, so the difference should be negligible for the most part.

It's actually not negligible, hitting with the very tip is the whole point and what makes it a good option select. It's not an option if the follow up comes out every time. I only do it in situations where the 2nd A wouldn't hit. Any closer and you have more mixups available, no reason to waste my best one.

Onemic

It's actually not negligible, hitting with the very tip is the whole point and what makes it a good option select. It's not an option if the follow up comes out every time. I only do it in situations where the 2nd A wouldn't hit. Any closer and you have more mixups available, no reason to waste my best one.

stealth edit failed :'(

I think it's finally time I invest in a fight stick.. a normal controller just isn't cutting it anymore.

Kinda surprised that I'm enjoying playing as Labrys. Her amazing accent sealed the deal, I guess.

I hate Instant Kills so much. Its possibly the single freaking element of the entire game I despise so far.

*see portrait flashing
*anticipate player using IK
*player does it*
*sit in corner blocking while opponent is at the other end of screen
*I laugh
*crosshair hits me
*hears "The Fog" plays
*.....fuuu

Getting hit by those just one time to me is worse than losing 100 times in a row. Its like...the equivalent of getting perfected by a Dan or losing to a Hsien Ko.

I love that Brooklyn accent.

yep same thing happen to me when I was playing against her.

Ok seriously how do you beat Kanji. He jumps and I get grabbed and that's half my health.
if you figure it out, let me know. But I think someone mention block low?

Sophia

I think it's finally time I invest in a fight stick.. a normal controller just isn't cutting it anymore.

Kinda surprised that I'm enjoying playing as Labrys. Her amazing accent sealed the deal, I guess.

"It wasn't a compliment, numbskull."

The accent + who's directed at... I totally lost it there. >_>;

KAOS

I don't know what the song is saying, "With a thespian and a lesbian"!? Anyway enjoying the game the patch seems to be working nicely. I'm loving Akihiko!

FSLink

Banned
So just finished Labrys', Yu's, and Mitsuru's story. Pretty damn good.
Extreme spoilers duh:
So I guess the consensus is that it's Nyarlathotep behind all this, meaning a P5 or Persona 4 Arena 2? With most likely more of the P3 cast and maybe the P1-P2 cast added?

OceanBlue

This game is so different from Street Fighter. It's hard to place myself in the right mindset for it...

Well, not that I'm good at Street Fighter either.

Dantis

So, I was planning on just renting this, but all the positive stuff I've heard about it and my high level of Persona fanboyism are making me think about actually buying it (Even though it will mean supporting shitty Zen United :/).

Is it worth purchasing? What would y'all give it out of ten?

Sophia

So, I was planning on just renting this, but all the positive stuff I've heard about it and my high level of Persona fanboyism are making me think about actually buying it (Even though it will mean supporting shitty Zen United :/).

Is it worth purchasing? What would y'all give it out of ten?

9/10.

Amazing story. Easy to get into. Great Online Play. Great cast of characters both story and gameplay wise. And quite a variety of modes to play through.

But on the downside, Score Attack mode isn't really Score Attack (it's Unlimited Mars... -_-), and the gouging on stuff that was in the arcade mode as DLC is stupid.

So just finished Labrys', Yu's, and Mitsuru's story. Pretty damn good.
Extreme spoilers duh:
So I guess the consensus is that it's Nyarlathotep behind all this, meaning a P5 or Persona 4 Arena 2? With most likely more of the P3 cast and maybe the P1-P2 cast added?

I'm honestly kinda hoping for both, but I'm not sure how they'd really go about that given the game-changing nature of the ending.

FSLink

Banned
I'm honestly kinda hoping for both, but I'm not sure how they'd really go about that given the game-changing nature of the ending.

I heard that Elizabeth apparently gets the Fool arcana. As much fun as she is, I hope this doesn't mean she's gonna be a main character. :p But yes, I would definitely love both. Maybe Persona 4 Arena 2 can have the P1-P4 cast attempt to go against Nyarlathotep, fail to do so, then Persona 5 will include a new cast and save them? Either way I would really love a sequel to P4 Arena with the rest of the cast, plus with how well it's doing sales wise, I don't see why they wouldn't make an update a year from now or so.

@QisTopTier, A+ eh? I haven't touched online ranked at all yet, does the competition get significantly better when you rank up to that point or is it still mostly week 1 AAAA combos?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I've played a few great players, there is a really good yukiko around my psr

the game will always be AAA to some extent because that's important for meter gain

Anyone want to play a few games before I go to bed?

Ken

@QisTopTier, A+ eh? I haven't touched online ranked at all yet, does the competition get significantly better when you rank up to that point or is it still mostly week 1 AAAA combos?

I'm at C- and the people I'm playing are either really good or I'm really bad. ;_;

Dantis

I'm at C- and the people I'm playing are either really good or I'm really bad. ;_;

Don't worry buddy, once the EU release is out, there'll be a flood of terrible players like myself. I loaded up Blazblue last night to see if I still remembered how to play, and basically, if I played as anyone who wasn't Hakumen I got tanned.

Unfortunately for me, Hakumen isn't in Arena. :p

Steaks

I have like a 95% winrate and I'm at rank C something so far.

People are realllllly bad right now. I only lost to two Elzabeths so far.

Also my name glitched out and says I'm a leaver even though I've completed every game I've played :(

Ken

FIG-MOE-6771.jpg

figma - Aigis The ULTIMATE ver. From "Persona 4 The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena"(Preorder)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL got owned by a japanese shadow lab player that was at 750psr. On the plus side I absorbed their B+D counter hit combo and now have a new tool :D

Top Bottom