• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

K.Sabot

I thought I was really bad until I played some ranked.

Just started ranked 30 minutes ago and I am D rank without losing once.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ld205_11.png

LOL god damn I never actually looked at it's hit box hahaha

So I think I'm going to settle on either Naoto or Yukiko. Elizabeth will have to wait awhile as I find Naoto and Yukiko a bit more enjoyable to play at the moment. I'd say a week of training and I'll finally be ready to play online. How hard is it to reach C rank and level 30 for those trophies?

So I think I'm going to settle on either Naoto or Yukiko. Elizabeth will have to wait awhile as I find Naoto and Yukiko a bit more enjoyable to play at the moment. I'd say a week of training and I'll finally be ready to play online. How hard is it to reach C rank and level 30 for those trophies?

level 30 takes time but super easy to get. C is relatively easy. I just happen to get smoked repeatedly by the same naoto (I was a B when she was a C, ended up shes now a B and I'm a C) several times. It jsut takes a few win streaks to get to C very fast.

Yukiko takes decent work. You have to learn the different normals like 1D 2D and 3D, 1B 2B and 3B. Be ready to play with little to no mistakes because it only takes 3-4 to lose with her against some of the cast since she has poor options once in the corner.

Naoto I would say would be very strong. She can deal amazing dmg (7k in corner), has solid zoning, and her IK will still gib people that don't know how to deal with it.

It's worth it to know how they work so you don't get randomed out by one and feel stupid

Yep I feel stupid after losing to that Lab IK =(. Fuck that was my match to lose and I lost it.

wait what? I need dat info.

Ok young padawan: When you throw someone out of the corner or anywhere midscreen, do EX bufula immediately which forces them to block it if they tech up back or neutral, and you're in a good position if they tech forward. If they block it, run up and jump behind them with jB. If it hits the ice freezes them and you get a full combo. This is why I was saying before that EX Bufula is her best meter usage. I'll let you figure out the other reasons on your own, I'm giving away a lot of super specific stuff lately.

It's worth it to know how they work so you don't get randomed out by one and feel stupid

I'm gonna spend most of my time this weekend alternating between figuring out how to avoid general setups in different matchups and grinding ranked matches.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally got my copy today and been getting accustomed to the systems and the characters. I'm 28/30 on Naoto's challenges and spent a long time doing 28 because I couldn't get used to the timing on some of it but finally did it. woohoo.

WTF. I'm only 10-14 on the characters. :(

*goes home and be's a family man*

Sophia

I need an arcade stick, or at least a better controller. Too many times the game has registered 236A as Aigis and I did not intend to input that. Fucking terrible PS3 DPad.

SteelBallRun

Neo Member

Not that hard considering there are a lot of people online that don't play fighting games but want to pick their waifu or like Persona RPGs, but I'm not sure how the ranking system works. I just had a 17 game streak with Teddie and fought only people my rank or higher but haven't gotten the "Win to Rank Up" screen yet. I'm currently stuck at C+.

Ken

I need an arcade stick, or at least a better controller. Too many times the game has registered 236A as Aigis and I did not intend to input that. Fucking terrible PS3 DPad.

If I was playing on the PS3 I'd totally snag that Hori P4A stick.

Sophia

If I was playing on the PS3 I'd totally snag that Hori P4A stick.

Anything really, even that WWE stick, would be an improvement over what I have now. It's hard to input combos and not damage your hand when your entire thumb is bigger than the fricking pad itself. Neigh impossible to preform some of Aigis's more delicate combos.

You can totally tell Labrys was added into arcade mode after the end release. She has no event scenes and you get a "CONGRATULATIONS!" for winning instead of an actual ending, lol...

level 30 takes time but super easy to get. C is relatively easy. I just happen to get smoked repeatedly by the same naoto (I was a B when she was a C, ended up shes now a B and I'm a C) several times. It jsut takes a few win streaks to get to C very fast.

Yukiko takes decent work. You have to learn the different normals like 1D 2D and 3D, 1B 2B and 3B. Be ready to play with little to no mistakes because it only takes 3-4 to lose with her against some of the cast since she has poor options once in the corner.

Naoto I would say would be very strong. She can deal amazing dmg (7k in corner), has solid zoning, and her IK will still gib people that don't know how to deal with it.

Thanks for the info. I usually try to get trophies that require ranked matches out of the way asap and be done with ranked forever. Nice to know that they wont be super difficult to get.

Yeah I can already tell Yukiko will take some work. Just getting used to the speed and angles on all of her fan tosses while standing, crouching, and in the air is alot for me. Its going to take time but damnit I will get good at this game

Not that hard considering there are a lot of people online that don't play fighting games but want to pick their waifu or like Persona RPGs, but I'm not sure how the ranking system works. I just had a 17 game streak with Teddie and fought only people my rank or higher but haven't gotten the "Win to Rank Up" screen yet. I'm currently stuck at C+.
Thank you too for the info sir.

Geneijin

I'm getting awful tempted to pick this up while the Newegg deal is still live, and I'd be on 360. Haven't finished Persona 4 yet though, got 30 hours in back in 08 and stopped for some reason...

Let me know how much you regret having opened your game. :p
Amazon also has it for $52.48 right now actually.

Ken

Anything really, even that WWE stick, would be an improvement over what I have now. It's hard to input combos and not damage your hand when your entire thumb is bigger than the fricking pad itself. Neigh impossible to preform some of Aigis's more delicate combos.

You can totally tell Labrys was added into arcade mode after the end release. She has no event scenes and you get a "CONGRATULATIONS!" for winning instead of an actual ending, lol...

Honestly, my arcade stick was probably my best gaming purchase in awhile. I'd try grabbing a pretty cool stick for a first one since it will accompany you for awhile, especially if you plan on sticking with fighting games.

Sophia

Honestly, my arcade stick was probably my best gaming purchase in awhile. I'd try grabbing a pretty cool stick for a first one since it will accompany you for awhile, especially if you plan on sticking with fighting games.

Yeah, but a stick purchase is still a long ways off. I was thinking of going with a universal stick (Lookin at the Eightarcs...) but such a purchase won't be until December at the earliest.

My only real options are possibly the WWE stick in a few months, or something in the $50-60 price range. Maybe.

Ken

Yeah, but a stick purchase is still a long ways off. I was thinking of going with a universal stick (Lookin at the Eightarcs...) but such a purchase won't be until December at the earliest.

My only real options are possibly the WWE stick in a few months, or something in the $50-60 price range. Maybe.

:<

Played a C- Akihiko 5AAAAA masher. It was fun doing Labrys R-Action over and over.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Kinda funny how she's the main focus of the game too, they probably did that on purpose for the console release to keep the story mode underwraps

EVOL 100%

I actually do own a stick but I only bought it since I want to mod it to a hitbox.

I should practice to at least get half competent though, it's frustrating as hell to get annihilated by dudes that I would've beaten with a pad in arcades.

Esura

Banned
I would have sold you my stick Marshuu but I never shipped anything before. Well I did once awhile back but that's it.

Esura

Banned
I couldn't buy it right now even if I wanted it. :p

Oh well. :p

Also, do not drop Aigis. I'm sticking with her. She's supposedly great for a reason and I'm going to see why.

I hate how for a P4 game I find myself maining two P3 characters and losing interest in the one I wanted to main most (Chie). I dunno. She is still my favorite character in the series though.

EVOL 100%

Is such a thing even possible? How do you change out the stick recognition board thingy?

That's the hard part. Soldering the PCB is pretty easy but buying a separate box, buttons ect. is gonna be pretty expensive. Still a lot cheaper than buying one though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Also, do not drop Aigis. I'm sticking with her. She's supposedly great for a reason and I'm going to see why.

I hate how for a P4 game I find myself maining two P3 characters and losing interest in the one I wanted to main most (Chie). I dunno. She is still my favorite character in the series though.

Yes, yes... let the better characters flow through you.

That's the hard part. Soldering the PCB is pretty easy but buying a separate box, buttons ect. is gonna be pretty expensive. Still a lot cheaper than buying one though.

I guess, if you have the technical "know-how." I don't, I'd just buy a dual-modded one and be done with it.
that is, if I ever got good at fighting games. Which I won't. FOREVER AN F-!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
xmfd I kept fighting the most fraudulent Yu player in ranked

somehow he was C rank and all he did was literally DP every chance he got, and if he had meter, cancel into super beam when his DP got whiffed/blocked

also used the electric car -> DP and the diagonal sword dive thing -> DP

Dantis

I hate how for a P4 game I find myself maining two P3 characters and losing interest in the one I wanted to main most (Chie).

I have a feeling I'll have the same problem. The character I'm least interested in is Labrys (She is the only Persona character whose design I actively dislike), but I'm reading everywhere that she is the most similar to Hakumen, so it will probably end up who I play as online.

Sophia

Sticks for for weaklings anyway. Fightpad or bust.

I sorta wish I had a stick ;_;

I want to use my fightpad. Damn you Microsoft for not making the pads universal. ;_;

I aint dropping Aigis. I'm in a much better mood than I was earlier. People calling me up when I'm in the middle of a game repeatedly over stupid shit I don't care off ticks me off reeeeeal fast. >_>

And I can see why Aigis is great; Her combos in Orgia mode are insane.

I have a feeling I'll have the same problem. The character I'm least interested in is Labrys (She is the only Persona character whose design I actively dislike), but I'm reading everywhere that she is the most similar to Hakumen, so it will probably end up who I play as online.

I'm starting to wonder if it's actively possible to hate Labrys after playing story mode. She's just too charming. :3

Dantis

I'm starting to wonder if it's actively possible to hate Labrys after playing story mode. She's just too charming. :3

Mhmm, I'm hearing a lot of good things about her in Story Mode (And the mode in general), but I don't think it will change my mind on her design. Way too sci-fi anime for me.

Sophia

Mhmm, I'm hearing a lot of good things about her in Story Mode (And the mode in general), but I don't think it will change my mind on her design. Way too sci-fi anime for me.

I bet it will. I was totally indifferent to her until after reading story mode, now she's up there alongside Aigis for my favorite character.

Shito

Ok young padawan: When you throw someone out of the corner or anywhere midscreen, do EX bufula immediately which forces them to block it if they tech up back or neutral, and you're in a good position if they tech forward. If they block it, run up and jump behind them with jB. If it hits the ice freezes them and you get a full combo. This is why I was saying before that EX Bufula is her best meter usage. I'll let you figure out the other reasons on your own, I'm giving away a lot of super specific stuff lately.
Shit, I feel so stupid not having found this myself!
Been playing for two weeks now, and after each "non corner" throw with Mitsu I was wondering what to follow it up with, since the spacing seemed to call for something.
"5D? Nah, looks crappy, people are gonna block after that..."
But EX Bufula makes SO MUCH SENSE.

FSLink

Banned
Taking a break from this for a bit to play Persona 4 Golden.
New feature spoiler:
The SOS feature's amusing, haha. Free HP and SP! It's like everyone in Japan (and people who imported) are raising a Spirit Bomb to help me throughout dungeons.

Dantis

Taking a break from this for a bit to play Persona 4 Golden.
New feature spoiler:
The SOS feature's amusing, haha. Free HP and SP! It's like everyone in Japan (and people who imported) are raising a Spirit Bomb to help me throughout dungeons.

Yep, it's really useful. Not sure about all the flowers when you use it though. No idea why Golden has such an obsession with flowers.

Sophia

Pervert! jk jk

So I feel stupid but last night messing around I found out you can jump cancel S.Lab's 5A........ LOL

Pervert? Well, I am bisexual.... =p

I need to try out Shadow Labrys, I haven't really given her much consideration because I don't see too many of her in online play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Getting killed by two ffffUCKing combos seems to be very ffffUCKing common when you're playing as Naoto /RAGE

Hey buddy join the club.

Pervert? Well, I am bisexual.... =p

I need to try out Shadow Labrys, I haven't really given her much consideration because I don't see too many of her in online play.
I am now more knowledgeable about something I never asked!

Shadow lab is fun, she's way easier to play than any pet character in any fighter. No wait I take that back zappa with dog is the easiest shit in the known universe, but she's close :p We can play til you get bored or someone harasses me to play them so you can see some stuff about her later.

Top Bottom