• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tenks

Did anyone notice that wild card fusions happened a lot more often in P4 than P3? I got somewhat mega pissed because I forgot to save before going into the velvet room and I spent 10 or 15 mins making a pretty good Satan and the fucker drew a wild card on me. Got some shitty level50 fool persona. I punched Igor in his massive nose.

Volcynika

Tenks said:
Did anyone notice that wild card fusions happened a lot more often in P4 than P3? I got somewhat mega pissed because I forgot to save before going into the velvet room and I spent 10 or 15 mins making a pretty good Satan and the fucker drew a wild card on me. Got some shitty level50 fool persona. I punched Igor in his massive nose.

I had two happen in P3, and one happen in P4. So...not really!

D:

Blackjack

Volcynika said:
The real question is, are you the original, or just a random fusion from the past?
Honestly, I think as long as I'm not, like, a giant naked lady or random floating body parts or something like that I'll be okay.

Volcynika said:
I had two happen in P3, and one happen in P4. So...not really!

D:
I've had three. The first one was a level 30 Persona for a level 50 decambria (Or whatever that fool starfish eye is). The next two were downgrades. Big time.

Kusagari

Tenks said:

I haven't had any yet. Kind of disappointing.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
3 accidents for me, all of them severe dissappointments.

One of them was even a fusion I had spent a good 10 minutes backing out of/into.

edit: according the gfaqs, the chance for an accident in a two persona fusion is 1/64, and for a 3 persona fusion it is 1/32

Melville

Finally, after 4 attempts, I beat
the Reaper
, obtained the
MC's best weapon
too :D
By the way, is there some kind of pattern in the stuff he drops? I beat him two more times after that and got
Yousuke's weapon and Chie's.

P90

Tenks said:

I had two in the first 20 hours of the game. One was a downgrade. The other a similar "level" persona, but different arcana.

slayn

finally beat the final boss. He is a bastard, even after I understood that attack.

I had to
equip the MC with a void box or else there is a chance of being fucked with nothing you can do. The boss gets two attacks, so attack 1 -> World's End which puts multiple status effects on your entire party followed by attack 2 -> yuma is just devastating depending on what randomly happens during World's End. Aside from equipment like void box there seems to be nothing stat/persona wise that can defend against that.

Ourobolus

Banned
slayn said:
finally beat the final boss. He is a bastard, even after I understood that attack.

I had to
equip the MC with a void box or else there is a chance of being fucked with nothing you can do. The boss gets two attacks, so attack 1 -> World's End which puts multiple status effects on your entire party followed by attack 2 -> yuma is just devastating depending on what randomly happens during World's End. Aside from equipment like void box there seems to be nothing stat/persona wise that can defend against that.

Masukukaja. It works wonders.

slayn

Ourobolus said:
Masukukaja. It works wonders.
Is that the agility up spell?

With that you're just gambling that the first attack will miss right? That's not something I would place confidence in when said boss is spamming his sequence again and again.

Tenks

Augemitbutter said:
accidents? i had zero in my 100hr-game.

haha WTF I played P3 for 90+ hr and got zero accidents and got 3 in P4. Fuck my second fusion turned out to be an accident in the game...

slayn said:

With that you're just gambling that the first attack will miss right? That's not something I would place confidence in when said boss is spamming his sequence again and again.
If you're not using buffs/debuffs liberally, you're making the game waaaaaay harder on yourself. Buffs/debuffs are incredibly crippling in P3 & P4. Heck, when she tried World's End, she only managed to inflict Chie thanks to Masukukaja.

Blackjack

slayn said:

Final boss is a she :p

If the boss is spamming that attack over and over, just have the MC guard each round. Guarding makes you 100% immune to status effects (Book of the Void can still get you poisoned).

slayn

RocketDarkness said:
If you're not using buffs/debuffs liberally, you're making the game waaaaaay harder on yourself. Buffs/debuffs are incredibly crippling in P3 & P4. Heck, when she tried World's End, she only managed to inflict Chie thanks to Masukukaja.
I use buffs, just not that one because I prefer surefire strategies where I can predict the outcome. That is still just depending on luck. You have no way of knowing if only Chie got hit thanks to Masukukaja, or if you just got lucky. On average, I would say only one person got hit with a status effect when the attack was used on me. It just so happened I was getting unlucky and it was usually the MC that got hit.

edit:
and come to think of it, I usually had that heat rise buff on the MC, so Masukukaja wouldn't have done anything since it wouldn't stack to my knowledge.

Blackjack said:
Final boss is a she :p

If the boss is spamming that attack over and over, just have the MC guard each round. Guarding makes you 100% immune to status effects (Book of the Void can still get you poisoned).
boss looked like an 'it' to me after removing the illusion :p

This I did not know, and wish I had known half an hour ago. But its over now anyway.

Boulayman

daegan said:
You're not losing because of bad strategy, you're losing because you're way underleveled. OSG recommends 64, I did it with my main at 65. In P3 and P4, one or two levels can make a huge difference between you getting torn apart and victory. I'd also say go buy some new armor. Spend a rainy day just grinding grinding grinding, sell the stuff, buy the new stuff and come back the next day to fight the boss.

Yeah, I'll do that. one or two days of grinding should bring me to level 60 and I might be able to get some new personas while doing it so yeah, it's a bit of a shame since I wanted to spend more time doing S-Links but I just can not beat it right now.

I think I did something pretty stupid though with Teddy I switched one of his new skills for mediarama so he doesn't have mediarama anymore (I figured Yukiko + Mc would be enough but I now realize that was quite stupid of me ). As for SP items, I only have the ones that give 10 sp back I don't have any that give 50 Sp back and well, they can't be bought.

The reason why my all crew's SP is so low is because I use teddie's everyone atack that is very expensive spwise, Yosuke is the only one that has potent wind attacking spell and Yukiko doubles up as my main attacker and main healer. As for MC well, he adapts to the situation but he often uses the sacarecam that is also ver yexpensive SPwise

Red Scarlet

octopusman said:
I wish someone could make a picture of all the main characters with those freaking nose and glasses.

I capped a couple of them, but I guess I forgot to keep one of Kanji.

p4004.png

p4005.png

icecream

Public Health Threat
Ran into the other members not in my party for the first time inside a dungeon. Surprised me at first, but at least they gave me items. :D

firex

I never ran into any other party/team members inside dungeons, ever. and I even spent a lot of time going through each dungeon again.

slayn

oh weird, party members other than the fox show up in the dungeon? I always just got the fox who you could purchase healing from just like outside the dungeon.

slayn said:
oh weird, party members other than the fox show up in the dungeon? I always just got the fox who you could purchase healing from just like outside the dungeon.
Yeah, I had Naoto and Kanji show up together, which was fairly funny, and they each give you a pretty good item.

Edit: I've grinded my way up to level 88, just five more levels to go then I can fuse those last two bastards. The leveling is really getting slow now though. I'm only getting 900 exp for every battle.

Vorador

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Yeah, I had Naoto and Kanji show up together, which was fairly funny, and they each give you a pretty good item.

Edit: I've grinded my way up to level 88, just five more levels to go then I can fuse those last two bastards. The leveling is really getting slow now though. I'm only getting 900 exp for every battle.

I missed a lot the cards from P3. The experience cards could make a 800-900 exp battle jump out to 2500 or so. Great for when you were getting too little exp in the later part of the game.

Vorador said:
I missed a lot the cards from P3. The experience cards could make a 800-900 exp battle jump out to 2500 or so. Great for when you were getting too little exp in the later part of the game.
Thankfully, I seem to be getting the Upright Moon a bit more regularly, and by that, I mean I've seen it twice in this dungeon of the five times I've encountered it.

firex

this isn't really game related, but I kind of want to bitch about the soundtrack CD. it's nice to get one for free included with the game, and I mostly liked the songs on it, but I really wish we could've gotten the Dojima residence music instead of aria of the soul. especially because aria of the soul wasn't changed at all from P3, so if you bought P3 and got the soundtrack, it's like having a worthless duplicated track.

and one thing I noticed about the game is that I think I liked how mundane a lot of the normal activities were. P3 had a lot of mundane stuff, too, but it always had some kind of weird Tokyo pop culture edge to it that made it seem like it wasn't trying to come off as boring. It was easier for me to relate to P4's boring shit to do in Inaba, and it made a lot of the events feel more like something an actual high school student would do. I think it also made the investigations feel more important by making them stand out so much from stuff like part time jobs, or the "event" in the summer where you can work at Junes. I guess it feels silly to say that since a lot of the events are basically canned still location with some generic NPCs running around, a little animated conversation, and then a "you finished up whatever it was you were doing and went home," but it still felt like it was more in place with everyday life.

Vorador said:

There's also a special sword you can get from the fishing guy in December that double's the exp you'll receive while it's equipped.

Big Icarus said:
Just get two guardians. You should already have one if you maxed the Fox link. I only fished twice during my play through.
I'd do that, but I'm already on the last day. I can go beat the final boss at any time, I'm just trying to get those last 5 levels so I can summon the last two persona.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Big Icarus said:
There's also a special sword you can get from the fishing guy in December that double's the exp you'll receive while it's equipped.

Does that stack with the armor that raises it by 50%?

Ourobolus

Banned
Boulayman said:
I think I did something pretty stupid though with Teddy I switched one of his new skills for mediarama so he doesn't have mediarama anymore (I figured Yukiko + Mc would be enough but I now realize that was quite stupid of me ). As for SP items, I only have the ones that give 10 sp back I don't have any that give 50 Sp back and well, they can't be bought.

The reason why my all crew's SP is so low is because I use teddie's everyone atack that is very expensive spwise, Yosuke is the only one that has potent wind attacking spell and Yukiko doubles up as my main attacker and main healer. As for MC well, he adapts to the situation but he often uses the sacarecam that is also ver yexpensive SPwise

I have to ask...why are you using Mabufula on one enemy (the boss)?
And...yes. Getting rid of Mediarama was very stupid.

JEKKI

man fuck Kanji. I leveled him all the way so that he learns all his abilities and...

he never once learns an attack-all physical move!!

wtf?!?! for the game's stereotypical high-attack low-magic character he doesnt even deliver!!

Chie on the other hand has God Hand and that attack-all meteor move, plus Power Charge and Tarakuja.

Even Naoto has powerful attack-all skills. Main dood + Chie + Naoto + attack-all physical skills = guaranteed Mamudo in dungeons. Then have Yukiko for the healing assist and you're set.

Tenks

JEKKI said:
man fuck Kanji. I leveled him all the way so that he learns all his abilities and...

he never once learns an attack-all physical move!!

wtf?!?! for the game's stereotypical high-attack low-magic character he doesnt even deliver!!

Chie on the other hand has God Hand and that attack-all meteor move, plus Power Charge and Tarakuja.

Even Naoto has powerful attack-all skills. Main dood + Chie + Naoto + attack-all physical skills = guaranteed Mamudo in dungeons. Then have Yukiko for the healing assist and you're set.

Yeah I felt very powerful towards the end with my MC using Belile (spelling is completely off there) who had a heavy attack-all and I fused him with both of Tam Lin's auto skills so I would start with +ATK/DEF and just have all my characters use their attack-all physical and it pretty much killed every trash encounter in one turn.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've got to mix up my party. I've been sticking with Yuikiko, Chie and Yoskue. Naoto looks good... I've completely left Kanji out of my party and I've been trying to bring Teddie in.

Ourobolus

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I've got to mix up my party. I've been sticking with Yuikiko, Chie and Yoskue. Naoto looks good... I've completely left Kanji out of my party and I've been trying to bring Teddie in.
Kanji's follow-up attack is freaking awesome, though. But yeah, definitely bring Naoto in for random battles.
I just like to keep Teddie levelled up in case I run into a boss or something that mainly uses ice attacks, and then I'll still have an available healer. Also, Amrita.

Tamanon

Banned
MrDenny said:
This game is a lot harder than I expected it to be. I died about 15 times already and I'm only 10 hours in haha.

It gets better, IMO. Once you get more options of personas, it gets much better, you're able to work around shadows and their attacks a lot more.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Man, I tell you something. If I ever get sick in Inaba, I am requesting a goddamn transfer to a city hospital where people know what they are fucking doing. How many S-Links in this game have someone dying at the hospital? The doctors are very good at saying "Sorry we are doing/have done all we can..."

Take me to Port Island pls thx

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
MrDenny said:
This game is a lot harder than I expected it to be. I died about 15 times already and I'm only 10 hours in haha.

yeah I though the first two dungeons were very hard. Then it got easier once I got used to everything and now I'm rolling through, even the bosses aren't too challenging anymore.

I remember on Persona 3 I had to retry bosses at least three times, sometimes up to 10. With Persona 4 I've found that I've only had to retry bosses a couple of times and usually I'll get it by the second try.

Top Bottom