• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Vorador

Banned
Kusagari said:
The most annoying thing about the MC death to me is he gets none of the abilities that your teammates get from the later social link levels. If he got the surviving an instant kill ability it'd make things so much simpler and less cheap. No instant fucking over by Mudoon when the enemies get the jump on you.

You can get your teammates to cover and die for you :lol Also you can play your cards well and fuse a "null everything" Persona.

Blackjack

AniHawk said:
Dammit, I knew Adachi was Johnny Yong Bosch. The last thing I heard him in was Eureka 7 and he played a whiny little bitch in that show, so I wasn't 100% sure at first.

Oh, and how do the S Links transfer over to New Game +? Do the ones you get maxed out count as being completed, maxed out? Or do you have to actually max out every single one in a single playthrough to get something special? I'm gonna end this game and not get Death, Hanged Man, Tower, Moon, Hermit, Emperor, Empress, and a couple others.
This is, like, the exact list of all of the S.Links no one finishes the first time.

BUT WHY NOT? :( They're six of the best and/or most important links in the entire game. :lol

Anyway to answer your question, You retain the max S.Link item, so you can fuse the Max S.Link Persona whether you max the S.Link again that playthrough or not, but the link itself will need to be remaxed if you're going for 100%

Just tried the final final boss last night.
I'm at level 86, so the fight was pretty much cake, but once I got the second form nearly dead, she busted out the Summons to Yomi attack, which of course, followed the hit everyone with status ailment attack, which wiped out my party completely. I supposed this is as good a reason as any to level some more. I want to fuse Helel, the level 90 strength, and the big mama-jama, so I don't have to worry about it in the second cycle.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Got the final dungeon last night. I've liked p4 quite a bit more than p3.

I've also found P4 to be waaaaay easier than p3. P3 was such a grindfest and I never even beat it because I reached a boss that would take like 2 hours to kill even if I was invinceable.

P4 I don't think I've died since the first dungeon. Even the links have been easier I think which has been nice. I maxed all but 3 just doing my own thing and not looking at any faqs.

can't wait to finish the true ending tonight.

Yaweee

slayn said:
Got the final dungeon last night. I've liked p4 quite a bit more than p3.

I've also found P4 to be waaaaay easier than p3. P3 was such a grindfest and I never even beat it because I reached a boss that would take like 2 hours to kill even if I was invinceable.

P4 I don't think I've died since the first dungeon. Even the links have been easier I think which has been nice. I maxed all but 3 just doing my own thing and not looking at any faqs.

can't wait to finish the true ending tonight.

That boss in P3 you got stuck at was weak against Pierce attacks. He drops like a brick when you do that.

slayn

Yaweee said:
That boss in P3 you got stuck at was weak against Pierce attacks. He drops like a brick when you do that.
huh? the faq I just checked said he had no weaknesses, just null light/dark. I was permanently stuck on the hanged man boss in p3. I'm just glad there hasn't been a boss that douchebaggy in p4.

ilikeme

"You should go by yourself." - Yumi Ozawa

Oh you bitch. I'm your friend because I thought you were awesome when you were soo into your acting classes. Now you're just a boring mopy tardface. ;(

'You feel your relationship is going to become closer soon.'

Oh-kay. These in-between scenes are irritating. They just slow it down for me. Knowing everytime would be worthwile and not just an empty step toward the goal, that would have been nicer. Although I guess they keep the life tempo a bit more 'real'.

Also, I need extra Courage to skip class to go on a date? What a meek city-boy :p

About the music: What's there is so awesome, I particularly loved the club-theme <3 but there is too little of it. Some of the emotional scenes with the Dojimas are so weird when what I'd come to associate as mystery/case music plays when, for example,
Nanako runs away

And how awesome is
Void Quest
? So awesome.

On the story in dungeon 4:
When will the party realize he's just an attention-seeker. Sad fuck.

Yaweee

slayn said:
huh? the faq I just checked said he had no weaknesses, just null light/dark. I was permanently stuck on the hanged man boss in p3. I'm just glad there hasn't been a boss that douchebaggy in p4.

Wait, is it the Hanged Man Major Shadow event, or the boss in the rocking chair in the last section of Tartarus? For the event you just kill the guys beneath him and he falls, letting you do an all out attack.

I was confused, as most people complain about the last generic boss in Tartarus, that I've heard people complain about before.

ilikeme said:
About the music: What's there is so awesome, I particularly loved the club-theme <3 but there is too little of it. Some of the emotional scenes with the Dojimas are so weird when what I'd come to associate as mystery/case music plays when, for example,
Nanako runs away
Yeah, I don't quite get Atlus' approach to soundtracks. P1 and P2 were much shorter games than P3 or P4, but have over twice the number of tracks. wtf?

slayn

Yaweee said:
Wait, is it the Hanged Man Major Shadow event, or the boss in the rocking chair in the last section of Tartarus? For the event you just kill the guys beneath him and he falls, letting you do an all out attack.

Yeah, I don't quite get Atlus' approach to soundtracks. P1 and P2 were much shorter games than P3 or P4, but have over twice the number of tracks. wtf?
the full moon with the three statues. After I killed the statues my 'all out' attack did not even budge his health bar and then he would immediately fly back up. After like 45 minutes of fighting him and he still having 75% of his health, and my frustration at my AI teammates not attacking exactly who I wanted them to attack to time the falling of the boss, I said 'fuck this game' and never played it again.

there has been 0 frustrating moments in persona 4 for me. And in fact I've been wishing it were harder. I should have played on hard mode instead of normal.

edit:
the frustration was double by the fact that this boss fight was preceeded by cutscenes and yet another boss with no chance to save inbetween.

P90 said:
So what exactly carries over on the New Game+?
According to the DoubleJump Guide:

-Traits (Knowledge et al)
-Spaces for Persona (Start with 12 available spaces)
-Persona Compendium + Discount Items
-Max. S. Link Mementos
-Yen

Changes to NG+
-Any Persona can be summoned from the Compendium, regardless of level
-A few new options during S. Link Events (supposedly)
-If the True Ending has been achieved, Izanagi-No-Okami can be fused after July 10th
-The Reaper can appear inside treasure chests of dungeons where the second boss has been defeated. He drops the best weapons and armor.
-Margaret can be challenged within Heaven during the True Ending route. You must have maxed Empress and defeated all optional bosses before March 20th

How do you use the max s.link momentos? I maxed out a couple already, but do I just go to the regular fusing menu to fuse those personae?

nakedsushi said:
How do you use the max s.link momentos? I maxed out a couple already, but do I just go to the regular fusing menu to fuse those personae?
Pretty much, unless they appear under the special fusions, all you do is fuse them.

zoku88

I knwo this is the Persona 4 thread, but can someone try to help me in Persona 2.

I'm trying to find Gold's Gym.

This is after killing Joker and now that Serizawa girl is turning into a Joker

Tamanon

Banned
zoku88 said:
I knwo this is the Persona 4 thread, but can someone try to help me in Persona 2.

I'm trying to find Gold's Gym.

This is after killing Joker and now that Serizawa girl is turning into a Joker

I don't have the game with me, but I believe it's at the Yumezaki Ward.

birdchili

pointers on getting advantage in fights? i *might* be able to cope if i could completely avoid enemy first-strikes, but i'm having a hard time. i'd prefer not to go somewhere easy to practice, frankly.

i feel like i don't have interesting options for things to do in the dungeons where i am now. i beat the first (i think) optional boss, but dungeon 2 is just getting savage and going back to the early levels and doing them over for levels and a better persona lineup seems a bit dull.

i've got just about full magic points on everyone right now, but no more goho-m for this delve:( a surprise attack by a couple of the current beasties is game over for me (the mages and skewered-by-antennae "heat wave" guys, specifically).

edit: things are looking up. what a difference 10 minutes makes. i really don't thing i like what they did to the "first strike" gameplay though... in p3 it was easy, but kindof nifty. now it seems like an action minigame with a really bad camera so you never quite see what you're doing.

Boulayman

Okay,

Okay I am still getting my ass kicked by the heaven's boss, I do have immune persona for all the elements and even one that repels electric stuff but it is absolutely useless since that boss keeps doing elec break and then one shot kills my MC. Is there any item/skill to undo a break ? Those one shot kills the game seems to be fond of lately are very frustrating to say the least

Tamanon

Banned
birdchili said:
pointers on getting advantage in fights? i *might* be able to cope if i could completely avoid enemy first-strikes, but i'm having a hard time. i'd prefer not to go somewhere easy to practice, frankly.

i feel like i don't have interesting options for things to do in the dungeons where i am now. i beat the first (i think) optional boss, but dungeon 2 is just getting savage and going back to the early levels and doing them over for levels and a better persona lineup seems a bit dull.

i've got just about full magic points on everyone right now, but no more goho-m for this delve:( a surprise attack by a couple of the current beasties is game over for me (the mages and skewered-by-antennae "heat wave" guys, specifically).

You have to wait for them to turn around, it takes a while. Then run as fast as you can behind them and strike. You'll either get a first strike or if they're a quick turner, you'll get a regular battle. They'll notice you no matter what so you have to run quickly.

birdchili

Tamanon said:
You have to wait for them to turn around, it takes a while. Then run as fast as you can behind them and strike. You'll either get a first strike or if they're a quick turner, you'll get a regular battle. They'll notice you no matter what so you have to run quickly.
i'm slowly "getting it", but i'm not sure i like it. the camera seems to be fighting me every step of the way, and so far i don't have weapon choice options that make a difference like in 3.

slayn said:
the full moon with the three statues. After I killed the statues my 'all out' attack did not even budge his health bar and then he would immediately fly back up. After like 45 minutes of fighting him and he still having 75% of his health, and my frustration at my AI teammates not attacking exactly who I wanted them to attack to time the falling of the boss, I said 'fuck this game' and never played it again.

there has been 0 frustrating moments in persona 4 for me. And in fact I've been wishing it were harder. I should have played on hard mode instead of normal.

edit:
the frustration was double by the fact that this boss fight was preceeded by cutscenes and yet another boss with no chance to save inbetween.

Hanged Man boss was the most irritating fuck in recent memory. I gave my TV the finger like four or five times during that fight.

firex

birdchili said:
i'm slowly "getting it", but i'm not sure i like it. the camera seems to be fighting me every step of the way, and so far i don't have weapon choice options that make a difference like in 3.
You'll never get weapon choices for the main character. I actually felt like this sucked since I would've at least used something besides a 2h sword.

birdchili

firex said:
You'll never get weapon choices for the main character. I actually felt like this sucked since I would've at least used something besides a 2h sword.
boo. i can't get used to the timing at all on the strikes.

also i just got wiped again. methinks this is harder than nocturne, actually. i'm definitely trying to get through the dungeons too fast.

Blackjack

birdchili said:

also i just got wiped again. methinks this is harder than nocturne, actually. i'm definitely trying to get through the dungeons too fast.
Oh, good sweet Jesus no. :lol

birdchili

Blackjack said:
Oh, good sweet Jesus no. :lol
:) well... perhaps i'm just having a (very) bad day.

i have vowed to never run out of goho-ms again.

the problem is probably the urgency of everything in p4. in nocturne, i took my time, explored, etc... here i'm trying to get as much done on every dungeon visit as possible, which leads to swear-practicing situations.

Kusagari

birdchili said:

What the fuck? I could barely get past Noctourne's first dungeon without getting SMT'd 10 times :lol

Boulayman

Well birdchili I actually agree with you so I am wondering, for people that actually finished the game, is the heaven's boss the hardest one in the game or are the next ones harder ?

I am feeling that this game is now above my personal level as a gamer since I spent more than a dozen hours trying to beat that boss, I actually kept fighting in my last try till past all the control 'fun' all my party members run out of SP, he had about 500 HP left but I simply couldn't do a thing, I couldn't even heal his final 200 hp party attacks since I also run out of healing items. I am just not finding it fun anymore so I humbly ask if there is more frustration ahead, if so I will put my pride aside and just give up and go back to playing mario paper thousand year doors on gc.
Edit: added spoiler tags. I saw the Volcynika and I remembered that last time he got mad at me cause I didn't put any spoiler tag ^^

daegan

Volcynika said:
I thought the
Heaven's
boss was the most annoying, I guess, since the end of the fight made me call bullshit so much.

Just did this last night and yeah, when it was at the point where three good dyne's would've done it everything started whiffing and I was ready to throw myself into the damn tv.

Volcynika

daegan said:
Just did this last night and yeah, when it was at the point where three good dyne's would've done it everything started whiffing and I was ready to throw myself into the damn tv.

I was more referring to the
part where he controls your party members all at once. D:

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ilikeme said:
Also, I need extra Courage to skip class to go on a date? What a meek city-boy :p
More like only the most courageous would spend more than 5 minutes with Ai, let alone a whole day.

zoku88

Volcynika said:
I was like "oh, you HAVE to be kidding me"

I guarded like a wimp and hoped that I wouldn't get screwed.

Boulayman

Volcynika said:

Actually I didn't mind that part that much, I just guarded but I did get cold sweat when I saw Yosuke cast Tentarafoo while all my party was controlled, fortunately it missed my MC but then I just had to endure watching my SP depleted party get slowly demolished by his heavenly attack

daegan

Boulayman said:
Actually I didn't mind that part that much, I just guarded but I did get cold sweat when I saw Yosuke cast Tentarafoo while all my party was controlled, fortunately it missed my MC but then I just had to endure watching my SP depleted party get slowly demolished by his heavenly attack

It weirded me out -
Teddie didn't do ANYTHING for the two turns, and the persona I happened to have equipped absorbed physical attacks and Agi. I was using Yukiko and Chie as well.

Boulayman

daegan said:
It weirded me out -
Teddie didn't do ANYTHING for the two turns, and the persona I happened to have equipped absorbed physical attacks and Agi. I was using Yukiko and Chie as well.

I am thinking of giving it one last shot, switching Teddie (I need to keep Yosuke since he is the only character I have that has garudyne) with Chie or Kanji since they have some powerful physical attacks so they could help out when I run out of SP

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Boulayman said:
Well birdchili I actually agree with you so I am wondering, for people that actually finished the game, is the heaven's boss the hardest one in the game or are the next ones harder ?

I am feeling that this game is now above my personal level as a gamer since I spent more than a dozen hours trying to beat that boss, I actually kept fighting in my last try till past all the control 'fun' all my party members run out of SP, he had about 500 HP left but I simply couldn't do a thing, I couldn't even heal his final 200 hp party attacks since I also run out of healing items. I am just not finding it fun anymore so I humbly ask if there is more frustration ahead, if so I will put my pride aside and just give up and go back to playing mario paper thousand year doors on gc.
Edit: added spoiler tags. I saw the Volcynika and I remembered that last time he got mad at me cause I didn't put any spoiler tag ^^

Alright, for this battle you're going to need about 5 level 60+ Personas, each with different allignments (wind, ice, elec, fire and healing/support). Make sure that one or more of them has mind charge and one of them MUST null physical. You'll need a bunch of Magic Mirrors, too.

The boss will do a move that changes his magic type. In order to ascertain which spell-type he's switched to, make sure everyone guards for the next round as he will attack with the spell that corresponds to his type. If someone in your group is weak to that particular magic chuck on a magic mirror on them or else you're fucked. While that's happening switch over to a Persona that casts spells that the boss is currently weak against and beat the crap out of him.

This process will happen a few times.

When his health is low he'll take control of one of your characters. Switch over to a Persona that is strong to whichever spell that character casts.

After reducing his health more he'll take control of your entire party except for you.

This is when you want to switch over to a Persona who nulls physical as well being strong against a few different spell types. Make sure to guard until your characters break free of his control.

When that happens you should be in the clear to finish off the boss.

I hoped this helped.

grandjedi6 said:
More like only the most courageous would spend more than 5 minutes with Ai, let alone a whole day.

From what I've seen, Ai's the best social link character. But I haven't found all of them yet. I'd much rather hang out with her than Chie.

Boulayman

Witchfinder General said:
Alright, for this battle you're going to need about 5 level 60+ Personas, each with different allignments (wind, ice, elec, fire and healing/support). Make sure that one or more of them has mind charge and one of them MUST null physical. You'll need a bunch of Magic Mirrors, too.

The boss will do a move that changes his magic type. In order to ascertain this make sure everyone guards for the next round as he will attack with the spell that corresponds to his type. If someone in your group is weak to that particular magic chuck on a magic mirror on them or else you're fucked. While that's happening switch over to a Persona that casts spells that the boss is currently weak against and beat the crap out of him.

This process will happen a few times.

When his health is low he'll take control of one of your characters. Switch over to a Persona that is strong to whichever spell that character casts.

After reducing his health more he'll take control of your entire party except for you.

This is when you want to switch over to a Persona who nulls physical as well being strong against a few different spell types. Make sure to guard until your characters break free of his control.

When that happens you should be in the clear to finish off the boss.

I hoped this helped.
I actually did all that and got through all the phases you describe very well but then I was simply out of SP, keeping my party revived and health + Rakunda and Teddie's all party attack skill just drained most of my SP and since only MC and Yosuke have decent physical attack I could barely do any damage in the end and 5 or 6 of his final attack , whathever it is called that does around 150/200 damage to all the party got the best of me since it also made me run out of healing items.

Edit: Btw, is there anyway to skip that intro sequence for the boss, I saw it more than a dozen times now :(

Lucis

I asked my cousin (who is a professional mangaka) to draw something for me to use as wallpaper for P4, and I got this =) I am pretty happy with this.

p4_wp_124.jpg

Top Bottom