• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
Adam Prime said:
Really ? I don't even remember who all
died
in P3, I don't remember any characters doing that... aside from Strega? It's been so long since I've played that.

This brings me to my next question: what do you have to do to get the True Ending in the game? What are the requirements?

Well....death count:
Chidori, Shinji, Sun S. Link, Mitsuru's dad, MC
There was a decent amount of death in P3, which makes sense.

Tamanon

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I find that Megidola is quite useful around the time you get Naoto, when a lot of enemies seem to be resistant/null/what have you to numerous types of attacks.

I've never found Chie to be that good.
Teddie blows her away with Ice attacks, and Kanji's physical attacks are much better.

I think my most used team is probably Yukiko, Yosuke and Kanji.

Chie hits a dry spell around the 40s or so, but once she gets Power Charge, she turns into a physical powerhouse.:D

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
AniHawk said:
No real requirements necessary. Just don't go home when the game asks you on March 20. Then go to Junes and the rest sort of falls into place.

Ahh, thanks. Ambigious reply that doesn't give anything away. Perfect. :D

Ourobolus

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I've never found Chie to be that good.
Teddie blows her away with Ice attacks, and Kanji's physical attacks are much better.
Right about Teddie. Completely wrong about Kanji. Once Chie gets Power Charge, God's Hand, and Agneyastra, she's a freaking physical-damage machine. Outdoes Kanji by a very decent amount.

Also, Galactic Punt. :D

Tamanon said:
Well....death count:
Chidori, Shinji, Sun S. Link, Mitsuru's dad, MC
There was a decent amount of death in P3, which makes sense.
Considering it was pretty much analogous to the main theme of the game, P3 deals with death pretty well, I think.

Ourobolus said:
Right about Teddie. Completely wrong about Kanji. Once Chie gets Power Charge, God's Hand, and Agneyastra, she's a freaking physical-damage machine. Outdoes Kanji by a very decent amount.

Considering it was pretty much analogous to the main theme of the game, P3 deals with death pretty well, I think.

lol galactic punt was awesome! i think that was my fav of the follow up attacks

Ourobolus said:

Well, maybe I just need to level her up more. I've found Kanji stronger so far, especially since he also covers an element that no other party member does.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Alright I'm at the end of December getting ready for the last dungeon. I don't like where the story is heading [major spoilers]
So Adachi kills all these people and continues the murders just because he's upset with his life and wants to have some fun? Seriously. That's pretty damn lame. I really hope that isn't the "full story" and the game doesn't end like that. But for right now, I am like WTF... that is freaking typical "I'm doing this because I'm just EVIL" bull shit.

... Okay, PLEASE nobody tell me if I am right or wrong about this. I guess I should've waited to post until after I finish the game, but I'm just posting as I go along. I've been playing since 9AM, and I hope to finish this game tonight. Wish me luck GAF! :D

AniHawk

Adam Prime said:
Alright I'm at the end of December getting ready for the last dungeon. I don't like where the story is heading [major spoilers]
So Adachi kills all these people and continues the murders just because he's upset with his life and wants to have some fun? Seriously. That's pretty damn lame. I really hope that isn't the "full story" and the game doesn't end like that. But for right now, I am like WTF... that is freaking typical "I'm doing this because I'm just EVIL" bull shit.

... Okay, PLEASE nobody tell me if I am right or wrong about this. I guess I should've waited to post until after I finish the game, but I'm just posting as I go along. I've been playing since 9AM, and I hope to finish this game tonight. Wish me luck GAF! :D

He actually does it because
Dojima ran over his foot on the way to work one day and never apologized so now he's taking it out on the world.

Also,

Johnny Yong Bosch really doesn't work as a bad guy.

Septimus said:
Slightly off-topic but does anyone know a place I can go to to watch The Answer portion of P3?

not quite sure what you mean... the answer was kinda like an expansion of the original and is about 30 hours of gameplay. if u mean the final cutscene then your best bet is youtube...

noi5e

Adam Prime said:

Not a spoiler for the rest of the game, but
to be precise, it was Namatame that tried to "kill" everyone after Saki-senpai.

Adam Prime said:

To me, it's actually rather surprising that he has no reason at all. None. Most villians now a day have some sort of sob story about how their life was bad and why they hate this world. So for someone to do something just because they are a dick is interesting.

Wilsongt

For the
Adachi
boss, I ended up using MC, Yosuke, Teddie, and Naoto. Chie just wasn't cutting it for me, and Teddie really turned out to be a great healer, even without Salvation.

For the
True ending final boss
I had MC, Yosuke, Naoto, and Chie, because Teddie has that pesky weakness.

2DMention

Banned
LoL @
The culture festival. "I'd hit it."

This game keeps getting better. There seems to be quite a gap between certain dungeons though. Too much Social linking wears on you.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
2DMention said:
LoL @
The culture festival. "I'd hit it."

This game keeps getting better. There seems to be quite a gap between certain dungeons though. Too much Social linking wears on you.

Yeah I would agree with that, but it's NOWHERE near as bad as Persona 3. There were times in P3 where I would seriously freaking forget what the hell was happening in the game.

Tamanon

Banned
P4's one issue is that I think they could've pared down and given one more dungeon. That way it wouldn't be over a month between them. Of course that would've messed with the S. Links even more.:lol

Yaweee

Taken from Gamasutra's Sailing the World sales column:

PlayStation 2
North America: 1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (Atlus), 2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES -- Special Edition (Atlus), 3. Rock Band Special Edition (MTV Games), 4. Katamari Damacy (Bandai Namco), 5. Madden NFL 09 (EA Sports).

DS
Japan: 1. Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor (Atlus), 2. DS Uranai Seikatsu (Nintendo), 3. Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode (Nintendo), 4. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo), 5. KORG DS-10 (AQ Interactive).

---

The time between dungeons/ major events was my main complaint with both P3 and P4, and the reason why I don't want to see Atlus ever do a social link/calender system again. Spending one day in a dungeon every five weeks doesn't make for a consistenly compelling experience-- I suspect the upcoming months will reveal quite a few people that never forced themselves through the slow parts, just like with P3.

Yaweee said:
The time between dungeons/ major events was my main complaint with both P3 and P4, and the reason why I don't want to see Atlus ever do a social link/calender system again. Spending one day in a dungeon every five weeks doesn't make for a very compelling experience-- I suspect the upcoming months will reveal quite a few people that never forced themselves through the slow parts, just like with P3.

That's the fundamental difference between P3 and P4. The sense of urgency in P4 is the driving force. The whole theme is intrigue and urgency. Where P3 was about impending doom and dread.

Coming into the game I was still in P3 mindset where I figured I could work my way through the dungeon with time kind of similar to Tartaros. That's actually the wrong way of going about things. It hurts your social link progress. Storywise it is also a bit iffy to just leave someone sitting missing in the tv while you la de da about town. Tackling the tv dungeons in one day makes sense... in my opinion. You can spend as much time as you want working in a dungeon as well unlike in P3 where fatigue would eventually set in. Thus you could have as much grindfest/dungeon runs as you wanted.

Yaweee

KibblesBits said:
That's the fundamental difference between P3 and P4. The sense of urgency in P4 is the driving force. The whole theme is intrigue and urgency. Where P3 was about impending doom and dread.

Coming into the game I was still in P3 mindset where I figured I could work my way through the dungeon with time kind of similar to Tartaros. That's actually the wrong way of going about things. It hurts your social link progress. Storywise it is also a bit iffy to just leave someone sitting missing in the tv while you la de da about town. Tackling the tv dungeons in one day makes sense... in my opinion. You can spend as much time as you want working in a dungeon as well unlike in P3 where fatigue would eventually set in. Thus you could have as much grindfest/dungeon runs as you wanted.

I really liked the fatigue system and wished they had brought it back and made it stricter. In the early months of P3, it actually felt like "Okay, here is my objective, and I need to pace myself or I'll end up sick and tired," succesfully giving the feeling of Students-by-day-heroes-by-night. P4 amounts to a "2.5 weeks of no dungeon objectives and some scheduled story scenes, followed by 2.5 weeks of a dungeon objective and no scheduled story scenes.

It worked better at some parts than others. Personally, the highlights of the S. Link aspects of the game were Summer Break and the final few weeks, while the gaps surrounding the second and third dungeons felt waaaaaaay too long. I tried to start a replay, but I don't know if I can't sit through those slow parts again.

noi5e

Secret boss:
Ahahahaa!!!vI slowly whittled away almost two full health bars with Hassou Tobi and what does she do? She Power Charges and Hassou Tobi's me right back in the face, killing everyone.
Awesomeness.

Volcynika

Adam Prime said:
So to play as the secret non-story related boss, you have to start a New Game+ and then reach the end of the game?

Do this:

(If you mean fighting Margaret) Avoid the bad ending
Defeat all optional bosses
Max Empress S Link before March 20th

Shanks

I keep hearing rumors on 4chan (I know, I know) about a Persona 4 anime coming in the fall or something. Is there any truth to this at all? Rumor? Horseshit?

Tamanon

Banned
Shanks said:
I keep hearing rumors on 4chan (I know, I know) about a Persona 4 anime coming in the fall or something. Is there any truth to this at all? Rumor? Horseshit?

There's a Persona anime that really has little to do with the series, and Persona 3/4 manga. Haven't heard anything about an anime though. Although I think 4 would lend itself more to a series than 3 would.

Shanks

Tamanon said:
There's a Persona anime that really has little to do with the series, and Persona 3/4 manga. Haven't heard anything about an anime though. Although I think 4 would lend itself more to a series than 3 would.

Trinity Soul is balls. Which is what your talking about I'm pretty sure.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Fighting the December boss now. I like how during the intense anime cutscenes, everyone is shouting battle slogans... and the MC just stands there and makes a grunt noise. :lol

noi5e

ninj4junpei said:
I'm at the final dungeon. Any tips for getting experience/money? What about the final weapons for the characters?

Just keep opening gold chests, there should be an armor drop that gives you an XP multiplier. That plus Moon Arcana in Shuffle Time is pure joy.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just finished the Dec 24th boss. Pretty
anti-climatic and easy
. So now getting ready to tackle the "True Ending" boss. Is it a better
challenge than the Adachi bosses?

Adam Prime said:
Just finished the Dec 24th boss. Pretty
anti-climatic and easy
. So now getting ready to tackle the "True Ending" boss. Is it a better
challenge than the Adachi bosses?
Like all of them,
it depends on your level and whether you get the strategy.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just watched the Normal Ending. Pretty damn good, especially
If you really have ever had to move away from your friends before in real life. Then it should really hit home and it's pretty touching.
I think the normal ending itself is a pretty good conclusion...

Alright just now starting the final dungeon. I am REALLY intrigued about the "true ending" of this game. I love this plot so much and everything it has done with it up to this point. I really hope the true ending does not disappoint! Just the theories I have on my mind right now are enough to make me really excited for the potential for awesomeness in explaining the true story for this game! :D

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Woo hoo just finished the game!

So now here are my thoughts on the game, spoilers for both the end for P3 and P4:

I thought the game's True Ending wrapped up okay. It didn't do anything overly crazy and just kept it "simple" as there was just a being who wanted to give humanity what it thought they wanted: "ignorance is bliss". It didn't try and do too much and kept the game's story from being anything too out-there. So I guess that's pretty good. Still, I was kind of hoping for something ridiculous and crazy to happen... like the MC dies AGAIN?! Haha, I guess I was just hoping for something a bit morbid after playing P3. I realized that this game had a much better upbeat/attitude/optimistic feeling to it rather than P3, and I think it really worked well in this game. This game had a nice theme of friendship and relationships even more than P3, where P3 felt like the theme was more about "sacrifice", which is pretty obvious with the ending.

I think the only thing I was disappointed with a bit more in P4 was the lack of challenge from the final boss. I remember I died three times on the final boss, and it took over almost an hour each time fighting him! It just felt EPIC. The music on the final boss of P4 was good (I liked the instrumental/orchestra version of "Reach out to the truth") but it just didn't have that "OMG" feeling like when you fought P3's Nyx with 13 forms or whatever it was. So that was kind of disappointing after fighting such a behemoth in P3. And plus it just felt like the Skills and everything made P4 a lot easier. Plus they really toned down on he one-hit kills. I remember in P3 I was getting one-shotted ALL THE DAMN TIME, and in P4 I can only recall it happening twice early on in the game. This game was really a lot more player friendly this time around in toning down the frustration.

This game might seriously have one of the most happiest endings of all time - right up there with Kingdom Hearts II. :D

... did anyone else feel sad when the game was over? Like "Damn that was a good ass game and I'm sad to see it end". I think P4 and P3 will both go down as some of my most memorable gaming memories. I still have a hard time ranking them both among my most favorite games. And I have a hard time saying "P3 and P4 are some of the best RPGs ever" because of just how niche they are. There are things about the game that I can totally understanding people HATING about them, and I come away feeling like these games are maybe just a little too niche for people to universally agree how great they are. Regardless, I know that I enjoyed them both tremendously and will go up there as my favorite gaming experiences.

EDIT: I'm going back and reading old posts in this thread, was I the only person who played this game on Normal or something? I did not have ANY trouble for the second half of this game in combat. I was destroying everything in the final dungeons without a problem, and the max S.Link for Fox made it easy for me to spam whatever spells I needed in battle then go back and heal. And Fusions were not nearly as bad as in P3, I was able to Fuse about three good Personas and destroy everything: Trumpeter, Loki, and ... I forget the last one.

On my first turn I would cast the Devastation spell (or whatever it's called) that lowers all enemy stats was brutal. Then have Teddie cast Attack Up, then have Chie Power Charge, and Yukiko cast Agidyne. From there it was pretty much game over. With the MC I would Mind Charge and cast my Severe Magic attack with Loki (whatever it's called), have Chie God Hand, and then Teddie and Yukiko would attack or heal. I destroyed just the Heaven and two final dungeon bosses with freaking ease.

All around this game was significantly easier for me than P3. I wonder if it's simply because I got BETTER at playing a Persona game through playing P3 or if the game was just easier with the "improved" gameplay. Or is Expert Mode really the true way to play the game?

... Damn sitting here thinking about this game is really making me want to replay it. But there's no way I am going to invest another 50+ hours on another play through when I have SO many games on my backlog that I want to get through.

Majmun

Yeah, P3 and P4 both left me wanting for more. You get to know the characters and don't want it to end. P3 and P4 really have likeable characters, especially P4.

I never played P1 and P2. Are they the same as P3 and P4? By that I mean school-sims dungeoun crawlers with social links?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I was wondering the same thing about P1 and P2, and actually other SMT games in general. I've read quick plot synopsis about other PS2 SMT games and they sound really interesting. The thing I'm wondering through is after playing the newest gameplay refinement in P4, is it going to feel like a big step back in gameplay playing the older SMT titles?

I read about the Persona remake maybe coming to PSP. And I had Persona 2 on my PSP a while back (through CFW) but didn't get very far into the game to find out if I liked it or not. I'm kinda interested in firing it up again to see how it is.

Majmun

Adam Prime said:
I was wondering the same thing about P1 and P2, and actually other SMT games in general. I've read quick plot synopsis about other PS2 SMT games and they sound really interesting. The thing I'm wondering through is after playing the newest gameplay refinement in P4, is it going to feel like a big step back in gameplay playing the older SMT titles?

I read about the Persona remake maybe coming to PSP. And I had Persona 2 on my PSP a while back (through CFW) but didn't get very far into the game to find out if I liked it or not. I'm kinda interested in firing it up again to see how it is.

The only other SMT game I've played is Nocturne. But I never finished it because I couldn't beat a boss. The game has a great atmosphere and soundtrack. But it isn't anything like P3 and P4.

Boss spoiler
I couldn't beat the one-eyed elephant that rose out of some sort of oil. Was I almost at the end? I remember beating Atropos, Clotho and Lachesis trinity

I think I'm going to replay it again because I understand the persona/monsters effects now.

Never played the other SMT games. But I'm intrigued to do so...

Second said:
I never played P1 and P2. Are they the same as P3 and P4? By that I mean school-sims dungeoun crawlers with social links?

No.

Adam Prime said:
The thing I'm wondering through is after playing the newest gameplay refinement in P4, is it going to feel like a big step back in gameplay playing the older SMT titles?

For me, the incredible gameplay systems of SMT are the Press Turn/1 More battle system and the fusion system, and especially the way they interact. Nocturne has both (along with a whole demon conversation/recruiting system), which makes it incredibly great and not really a step back at all. DDS1+2 just have Press Turn combined with a Sphere Grid-esque customization system and no demon/persona collecting at all, which makes it kind of bland in comparison (for me.)

Second said:
The only other SMT game I've played is Nocturne. But I never finished it because I couldn't beat a boss. The game has a great atmosphere and soundtrack. But it isn't anything like P3 and P4.

Boss spoiler
I couldn't beat the one-eyed elephant that rose out of some sort of oil. Was I almost at the end? I remember beating Atropos, Clotho and Lachesis trinity

I think I'm going to replay it again because I understand the persona/monsters effects now.

Never played the other SMT games. But I'm intrigued to do so...

You were maybe half way into that game. It's long.
I remember getting stuck at him too for a while. He has some ability to null most of your attacks, right?

I think I'm going to go back to Nocturne after this now that I'm pretty much done with P4. I'm shocked at how fast I went through this game. I've clocked about 140 hours into it now, but that's been all within a month. This is the first SMT game I've played without taking extended breaks at some point, and now I'm hooked on the formula. So after this it'll be Nocturne and immediately after that I'll probably start my second P4 play through. Man, and I used hate RPGs! :lol

AniHawk

Beat the game last night. Quite good. Definitely one of my top 10 PS2 games (I've played around 60). I was surprised that I was able to get my guys up to level 83. I guess part of the fun was constantly learning new spells and redoing dungeons superstrong compared to the first run through as you go for an optional boss.

At 76 hours, this ranks as one of the longest RPGs I've played, and ties with Dragon Quest VIII as the longest for the generation.

The voice acting was really good overall, with the two best being Yosuke's and Chie's. They sounded like actual people and delivered their lines juuuust a bit more naturally than Yukiko or especially Naoto and Rise. The goofy character (Teddie) didn't come across as annoying (unlike Mao or Champloo from Disgaea 3), and that's kinda hard to do. There wasn't anyone who gave a bad performance, and I found Rise grating, but I guess that's what she's supposed to sound like.

Blackjack

AniHawk said:
Beat the game last night. Quite good. Definitely one of my top 10 PS2 games (I've played around 60). I was surprised that I was able to get my guys up to level 83. I guess part of the fun was constantly learning new spells and redoing dungeons superstrong compared to the first run through as you go for an optional boss.

At 76 hours, this ranks as one of the longest RPGs I've played, and ties with Dragon Quest VIII as the longest for the generation.

The voice acting was really good overall, with the two best being Yosuke's and Chie's. They sounded like actual people and delivered their lines juuuust a bit more naturally than Yukiko or especially Naoto and Rise. The goofy character (Teddie) didn't come across as annoying (unlike Mao or Champloo from Disgaea 3), and that's kinda hard to do. There wasn't anyone who gave a bad performance, and I found Rise grating, but I guess that's what she's supposed to sound like.
Naoto and Elizabeth would like to have some words with you.

Any words at all, really. Any of them.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
AniHawk said:

Word for word, agree with just about everything you said.

now I can finally, FINALLY, read my artbook!!!

Haha I beat the game last night and did the same thing. I realized how ULTRA HUGE MEGA BIG spoilers there were in that book! But I flipped through it once before even turning the game on, and didn't think anything of it. I think as long as you thumb through it before getting deep into the game don't really read the captions on any of the pages... you really won't spoil everything. But yeah, I realized last night reading every page and looking at it carefully there are a shit load of spoilers.

Majmun

Big Icarus said:
You were maybe half way into that game. It's long.
I remember getting stuck at him too for a while. He has some ability to null most of your attacks, right?

Yes, that's him. My attacks couldn't harm it. I got so frustrated that I stopped playing. Died maybe 10 times...
And grinding didn't help because he absorbed my attacks anyway...

Regarding P4. I really wanted to max out the character at lvl 99 for the best personae. But the grinding took too long. So I stopped. The same with P3. lvl 88 is the farrest I've went.
The Moon arcana card for extra XP is very rare, and you don't know if goes up or down...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone remember the "Trick" in P3 for grinding in the bonus dungeon, Monad? It involved you casting two spells, and killing everything. The first one was like a darkness spell that inflicted them with something, the second one was like mudoon or something to kill them. It was crazy easy. I remember I solo'd and got my main character up to like Lv 95 in under an hour.

Top Bottom