• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

inner-G

Banned
I was just booting this on my PS3 and... BAM lightning, and no power.

Statrted it back up and one of my saves was gone T_T

Not my newest one though :D

Althane

I should be getting P4 sometime this week (getting it off of a fellow Gaffer), and I'm wondering, is it possible to play P3 and P4 in tandem? I'm playing P3 right now, closer to the fifth full moon than the fourth (got distracted a little by Devil May Cry 3. Can you tell I just recently acquired a PS2?)

Himuro said:
That's really it though.

P4 involves serial murders, and the content is far more out there than P3 ever was. That said, I think the social links are darker in P3 compared to P4.

Also
most of the central characters in P3 die. Blood soaked dungeons. Human annihilation. Having conversations with the embodiment of death. Goth wristcutters. Etc. Etc.

Shouta

Himuro said:
That's really it though.

P4 involves serial murders, and the content is far more out there than P3 ever was. That said, I think the social links are darker in P3 compared to P4.

P4 is a lot more grisly from a physical aspect but I think P3 is a lot darker when it comes to the mental aspects for the cast in general. There`s just a lot more they hammer onto the P3 cast with Code Aegis (I can`t even remember the JP name woof)/The Answer filling in some of the background that was only mentioned.

Tonza

So Im 54 hours in and in the last? dungeon. I suppose it's the last because Im already well in December. But anyways I just defeated
the second miniboss
If I continue on from this in the dungeon will I be able to return to social links? I still have some days left to do so. I know the next boss is
Adachi

Yaweee

Tonza said:
So Im 54 hours in and in the last? dungeon. I suppose it's the last because Im already well in December. But anyways I just defeated
the second miniboss
If I continue on from this in the dungeon will I be able to return to social links? I still have some days left to do so. I know the next boss is
Adachi
No, when you beat that boss, the game skips to the ending and you don't get the leftover days to work on social links.

there is another dungeon you can trigger during the ending.

Mr YuYu

Can anyone tell me what date the game ends? (don(t feel like reading thru the thraed cuz i'm affraid of spoilers)

think i'm about 20h in and its around the end of june atm.

Mr YuYu said:
Can anyone tell me what date the game ends? (don(t feel like reading thru the thraed cuz i'm affraid of spoilers)

think i'm about 20h in and its around the end of june atm.
around Christmas, either the 24th or 25th the game will skip to the final day.

Tonza

Yaweee said:
No, when you beat that boss, the game skips to the ending and you don't get the leftover days to work on social links.

there is another dungeon you can trigger during the ending.

Oh, ok. Thanks :)

Im at level 73 now so hopefully Im high enough to beat the boss. Really liked the game but after 54 hours Im not sad that Im at the end.

Teknoman

Wow, you actually visit
Gekkoukan high
on your school trip? Thats awesome. Does that mean that all the Persona series are tied together storywise?

Teknoman said:
Wow, you actually visit
Gekkoukan high
on your school trip? Thats awesome. Does that mean that all the Persona series are tied together storywise?
No, just P3 and P4. There were cameos of the P2 characters on a TV show in P3, but it was just a little reference for the fans.
Oh, Trinity Soul was supposed to be part of P3's world, but P4 kind of retconned a few of the more... questionable things that it brought up. Even without P4 though, TS didn't fit in very well with its "prequel," and the only reference made is the appearance of Akihiko (who can't use a persona in the show).

ivysaur12

Banned
Question: What level would you recommend for
Adachi's second form?
. I get *really* close but I've lost the past 3 times I've fought him. I'm currently at 73. The guy is bugging the shit outta me.

Tamanon

Banned
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
No, just P3 and P4. There were cameos of the P2 characters on a TV show in P3, but it was just a little reference for the fans.
Oh, Trinity Soul was supposed to be part of P3's world, but P4 kind of retconned a few of the more... questionable things that it brought up. Even without P4 though, TS didn't fit in very well with its "prequel," and the only reference made is the appearance of Akihiko (who can't use a persona in the show).

Well, Persona 1 and both 2's are tied together story-wise. I think the whole series actually is. In fact, weren't the Nanjo and Kirijo families competitors with each other?

firex

ivysaur12 said:
Question: What level would you recommend for
Adachi's second form?
. I get *really* close but I've lost the past 3 times I've fought him. I'm currently at 73. The guy is bugging the shit outta me.
I was below that level when I beat that boss, so you probably just need to work on some fusions, and maybe get a little better armor.

Red Scarlet

If you want an easy win, just do the pentagon fusion of
Yoshitsune
. He gets an attack that hits 8 times; I beat that badguy in like 3 rounds with him.

CPS2

I'm at about level 80 and it's like Dec 12 or something, is there anywhere I can go to level up? All the enemies give me about 1000XP, and I need like 25000 to level up.

MoogPaul

UC1 said:
I'm at about level 80 and it's like Dec 12 or something, is there anywhere I can go to level up? All the enemies give me about 1000XP, and I need like 25000 to level up.

wow, you really shouldn't need to level up that much anymore. Work on S-Links until the 24th.

Yaweee

UC1 said:
I had a couple of goes at the boss and get close but don't quite make it. Hrm I'll figure it out...

Do you have any accessories that are "something" column/pillar? The ones that cut damage received in half? Gold chests in that dungeon can give them, and they are awfully useful if you have a problem with your MC dying to the 2x quake.

Tamanon said:
Well, Persona 1 and both 2's are tied together story-wise. I think the whole series actually is. In fact, weren't the Nanjo and Kirijo families competitors with each other?
The Kirijo group was a former part of the Nanjou Corporation, yes. However, that's more of a nod to the previous games than anything else, seeing as P1/P2 and P3/P4 have been referred to as different "worlds" before in interviews. I don't think it's in the same way that there were two worlds in P2, but rather that they are different continuities. For example, in the first 2 Persona games, Philemon was responsible for giving characters Personas, and Igor and the rest of the Velvet Room worked under him. In the world of the newer games, Philemon still exists but does not directly influence anything, but rather watches over the heroes in the form of a butterfly. (He is the butterfly in the intro of Persona 3, and the save points in Persona 4.) The Personas themselves are slightly different in the two sets of games as well. In P1/2, they can be summoned at will at any time. In P3/4, they can only be used in th dark hour or other world, respectively.

While I'm sure you could find a way to fit them into the same continuity, they aren't meant to. I think this is partially because of a change in writing staff (or was it the main director of most of the MegaTen games?) after the PsX era.

Red Scarlet

UC1 said:

If you need experience, go in by yourself. Plus you might have armor that gives you +50% experience, and you can get a weapon in December that gives you +50% experience, and they stack.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
UC1 said:

yeah if you can't finish the game at Lv 80, then you suck at the game. But I assume you are trying to grind to fuse the best Personas, so like someone already said just go in by yourself and stack weapons that give you more exp. Go to the last area of the game obviously to do it, don't bother grinding for hours in the dungeons you've already been through.

For the Devil Arcana (Nurse) when you agree to everything she says and then it says "You spent some time with Sayoko", does it really mean what i think it means...?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
The Kirijo group was a former part of the Nanjou Corporation, yes. However, that's more of a nod to the previous games than anything else, seeing as P1/P2 and P3/P4 have been referred to as different "worlds" before in interviews. I don't think it's in the same way that there were two worlds in P2, but rather that they are different continuities. For example, in the first 2 Persona games, Philemon was responsible for giving characters Personas, and Igor and the rest of the Velvet Room worked under him. In the world of the newer games, Philemon still exists but does not directly influence anything, but rather watches over the heroes in the form of a butterfly. (He is the butterfly in the intro of Persona 3, and the save points in Persona 4.) The Personas themselves are slightly different in the two sets of games as well. In P1/2, they can be summoned at will at any time. In P3/4, they can only be used in th dark hour or other world, respectively.

While I'm sure you could find a way to fit them into the same continuity, they aren't meant to. I think this is partially because of a change in writing staff (or was it the main director of most of the MegaTen games?) after the PsX era.
Cozy left Atlus after SMT3, you can see the overall change in tone of MegaTen games.

Cozy would've never greenlighted a Persona game with dating sim elements, just doesn't seem his style to me. Also you notice how Atlus is trying to differentiate every MegaTen series into their own thing. Back then, SMT games and the spinoffs played basically the same a with a few difference here and there. Now every SMT series (the big ones, at least) play completely different from each other, there's a lot more variety in the spinoffs too.

Was it succesful? Yes. Who can argue otherwise really, I think Persona 4 is their best selling game ever. I do think SMT4 would turn people heads as opposed to "hey looks interesting, might try it." like the franchise was before. Heck even Atlus USA, who barely bothered with the games before, is bringing every single SMT game since SMT3. There's a brand awareness that wasn't there before, I think it was a pretty good move of Atlus USA to make SMT a 'brand' instead of just series.

I was watching the P2 bonus disc vids, with the interview with Cozy and Kaneko. I thought to myself "man these guys were Itagaki before Itagaki" stylish outfits, sunglasses, cigarettes in hand. They looked like rockstars.

CPS2

Adam Prime said:
yeah if you can't finish the game at Lv 80, then you suck at the game.

LOL, if I had some more items that restore SP, it'd be piss easy. As it is, once Yukiko runs out, my main character quickly runs out also, and I can get real close but end up wiping out. It's not exactly hard, but I didn't bother saving Soma and I haven't bothered with the collect-a-thon S.Links or missions. It's probably just a matter of grinding a little bit to get money, and then buying more equipment. Wasted all my money fusing personas towards the end.

Red Scarlet

UC1 said:
LOL, if I had some more items that restore SP, it'd be piss easy. As it is, once Yukiko runs out, my main character quickly runs out also, and I can get real close but end up wiping out. It's not exactly hard, but I didn't bother saving Soma and I haven't bothered with the collect-a-thon S.Links or missions. It's probably just a matter of grinding a little bit to get money, and then buying more equipment. Wasted all my money fusing personas towards the end.

You can find lots of MP-restoring items in the dungeons, and depending on how high the S-Ranks are with party members, they may give you items in dungeons that restore SP. If you have the fishing set, I think the Guardian fish completely fills up a character's SP. There's a couple of healer Personas you can make, some need to have an S-Link maxed, but certainly you can get stuff like Diarahan or Mediarahan from Personas that aren't maxed S-Link only.

If you need money, the easiest way IMO is to go to a non-random floor and just get gold monsters to appear. 4F of
Heaven
is the best spot in the game to me, it takes about one minute to check 7 monsters to see if they are gold ones, then you just climb up to 5F then back down and check again. And if you get a Temperance card then go (and don't open any chests while the Temperance card is active), then that's a guaranteed 150,000+ yen.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just beat
Adachi's second form

Some (basically) endgame thoughts:

I really have loved this game, but damn did I hate the way that it ends. I know that I have another dungeon left, but I really felt that Adachi's motive was incredibly stupid. For a game that is based around a mystery concept, you think they could've come up with something better than "ooh, I just wanted to kill people for fun!". Yes, he was being possessed, but even then that seemed to come out of nowhere. I think it's great that he was the killer and the way he went about tricking Namatame, I just think his motive, even with the possession, was incredibly simplistic.

Also, why does Adachi have a Persona? Why does he become possessed in the first place? How much of it was his doing? Are these questions that are ever answered in the final dungeon?

I also didn't appreciate that burning questions, such as the origin of the Midnight Channel, where thrown into a small part of a endgame monologue. That's the kind of stuff that might have deserved its own discussion and revelation because it is so central to the plot. It almost felt like the developers threw that on at the end because they realized they hadn't answered the question due to being too caught up in the climax.

Overall, great game and one of my favorite jRPGs in recent memory, but it definitely felt rushed near the end.

First off, ivy, you DO know that the plot continues in the last dungeon, right? Several of your questions are answered there.
ivysaur12 said:
Just beat
Adachi's second form
I really have loved this game, but damn did I hate the way that it ends. I know that I have another dungeon left, but I really felt that Adachi's motive was incredibly stupid. For a game that is based around a mystery concept, you think they could've come up with something better than "ooh, I just wanted to kill people for fun!". Yes, he was being possessed, but even then that seemed to come out of nowhere. I think it's great that he was the killer and the way he went about tricking Namatame, I just think his motive, even with the possession, was incredibly simplistic.

Also, why does Adachi have a Persona? Why does he become possessed in the first place? How much of it was his doing? Are these questions that are ever answered in the final dungeon?
I won't spoil the things that will be explained later for you (so to answer your last question, yes), but I'll answer some of your other points.
First of all, Adachi was not possessed. He became infested with shadows to form the final boss you fight, but that's all. Ameno-sagiri is explained later, but it simply manifested itself through Adachi. His actions were entirely his own until he changed. As for his motive, I think that was the point. Adachi wasn't some nefarious supervillain or even a very sympathetic character. He was just a normal human being. He was bored and bitter, and a bit on the nutso side, but he had no real reason for his actions aside from entertainment after the first two. I think that makes him a bit more believable.
I also didn't appreciate that burning questions, such as the origin of the Midnight Channel, where thrown into a small part of a endgame monologue. That's the kind of stuff that might have deserved its own discussion and revelation because it is so central to the plot. It almost felt like the developers threw that on at the end because they realized they hadn't answered the question due to being too caught up in the climax.

Overall, great game and one of my favorite jRPGs in recent memory, but it definitely felt rushed near the end.
Some of that stuff is expanded upon in the end. However, even after all I've said, I have to agree that it felt a bit rushed at the end. Just not for all of the same reasons you described.

firex

UC1 said:
I had a couple of goes at the boss and get close but don't quite make it. Hrm I'll figure it out...
If you're talking about killing
Izanami
then all you need to do is make a Persona with Debilitate, and find a way to give it no weaknesses (if your Debilitate Persona has any). It also helps to have Masukukaja, Null Exhaust, and an accessory from the final dungeon that prevents basically every ailment except exhaustion. And spoiler tip for this boss:
when you "finish" her first form, don't use any spells. Do whatever you can to regenerate SP in the few rounds before she changes to her true form.

I personally found that fight really annoying, but the gimmick with her when she's nearly dead is pretty easy to avoid if you are prepared by debuffing her hit rate with Debilitate and buffing your dodge rate with Masukukaja.

Yaweee

If you have not gotten the true ending, you have not beaten the game.

Hitler, fix the spoiler tags in your quote boxes.

1stStrike

Banned
Hello personafied people. I'll be starting P4 here pretty soon. Any tips on things I should watch out for? I played P3 so I'm at least familiar with the way things generally work.

gobassgo

Banned
1stStrike said:
Hello personafied people. I'll be starting P4 here pretty soon. Any tips on things I should watch out for? I played P3 so I'm at least familiar with the way things generally work.

Work on the social links for your party members first because ranking those dudes up will give you perks in combat.

Also, MAKE A NEW SAVE FILE ON DECEMBER 2.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yaweee said:
If you have not gotten the true ending, you have not beaten the game.

Hitler, fix the spoiler tags in your quote boxes.

Maybe not, but I still felt like
Adachi's motive was rather terrible and was a huge let down. That's not something that is going to be changed by going to the last dungeon.

Yaweee

ivysaur12 said:
Adachi's motive was rather terrible and was a huge let down. That's not something that is going to be changed by going to the last dungeon.

Yeah, I agree, it was kind of stupid. Still, you're completely missing out on the overarching plot until you do the last dungeon.

daegan

ivysaur12 said:

What you're talking about is, actually, handled quite a bit in there.

Steroyd

What transfers over in the new game + and which option gives me the true ending, I just got some lame ending.

Also
First time I've ever felt a megaton while playing a game and blurted out "Oh no they di'int" when Nanako "died" Atlus you heartless bastards :'(

Yaweee

Steroyd said:
What transfers over in the new game + and which option gives me the true ending, I just got some lame ending.

Also
First time I've ever felt a megaton while playing a game and blurted out "Oh no they di'int" when Nanako "died" Atlus you heartless bastards :'(

Hopefully you didn't save over your old save file. The endings are determined by the decisions right before the ending, after the last regular save you're allowed. There are three more possible end points and two more dungeons for you to go through.

ivysaur12

Banned
So I just truly beat the game.

The ending was definitely better, but I thought the gas pumper was weak. It would have been different if he (or she, I guess) had been present at least once or twice throughout the game in slightly hinting but really ambiguous ways. At least the Midnight Channel was given *some* screen time, but still, it felt like a bit of a throw away. But is it just supposed to be a coincidence that the television anchor and Saki were on the Midnight Channel before Adachi threw them in? That's extremely terrible storytelling.

I was also disappointed that Adachi's Persona was only mentioned when I had to talk about details in Junes, and wasn't really answered in the main game's storyline. Also, if Izanami gave the MC and Adachi Personas, where was Namatame's Persona, and how come he was able to summon a shadow (or was that supposed to be his Persona? If it was, I don't understand why Namatame wouldn't summon the giant peace baby like Adachi summoned his Persona). Actually, almost EVERYTHING with Adachi was a huge disappointment. His motive: laughable. Izanami pulling the strings somewhat remedied this, but it still doesn't change the fact that he was killing... just because he liked it.

Fantastic game, and one of the best PS2 RPGs (which is saying something). Definitely in my top 3 or 5 RPGs from last gen. It's too bad that there were some lingering storyline issues that had a bad aftertaste.

Tamanon

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
So I just truly beat the game.

The ending was definitely better, but I thought the gas pumper was weak. It would have been different if he (or she, I guess) had been present at least once or twice throughout the game in slightly hinting but really ambiguous ways. At least the Midnight Channel was given *some* screen time, but still, it felt like a bit of a throw away. But is it just supposed to be a coincidence that the television anchor and Saki were on the Midnight Channel before Adachi threw them in? That's extremely terrible storytelling.

I was also disappointed that Adachi's Persona was only mentioned when I had to talk about details in Junes, and wasn't really answered in the main game's storyline. Also, if Izanami gave the MC and Adachi Personas, where was Namatame's Persona, and how come he was able to summon a shadow (or was that supposed to be his Persona? If it was, I don't understand why Namatame wouldn't summon the giant peace baby like Adachi summoned his Persona). Actually, almost EVERYTHING with Adachi was a huge disappointment. His motive: laughable. Izanami pulling the strings somewhat remedied this, but it still doesn't change the fact that he was killing... just because he liked it.

Fantastic game, and one of the best PS2 RPGs (which is saying something). Definitely in my top 3 or 5 RPGs from last gen. It's too bad that there were some lingering storyline issues that had a bad aftertaste.

There are hints throughout the game about Izanami, especially when you talk to her during rainy days as the only person there. Not to mention the weird Persona headaches in the beginning started when you shook her hand.

inner-G said:
Game is kicking all types of ass. I'm in mid december now, just hit level 80.

Any last minute tips?
Not really, at level 80 you should be fine. Maybe make sure you have debilitate to make the last few battles go smoothly.

Tamanon said:
There are hints throughout the game about Izanami, especially when you talk to her during rainy days as the only person there. Not to mention the weird Persona headaches in the beginning started when you shook her hand.
Yeah, I knew from the beginning that SOMETHING was up with the gas-station attendant. I mean, when you shake hands the controller rumbles and everything.

Red Scarlet

ronito said:
so quick question, do I have to have all social links to at least lvl1 to get the true ending?

I'd say probably not, since only the ones you have gotten to rank 10 show up at the true ending, so it's either 10 or they won't show up anyway.

Well, I finally beat the game with the True Ending. It took me a little longer since I had a couple of lengthy hiatuses from the game due to real life issues, but here I am actually beating a game for once.

My final save time was 82 hours and 48 minutes. Had my main team (MC, Yukiko, Yosuke an Kanji) around 80-84 at the end. I maxed out 10 Social Links, which isn't too bad for my first time playing the game, I think.

I did wind up switching my party to manual control for my final attempt at the last boss after having used AI control the entire game. Dying with the boss at a sliver of health on my previous attempt because Yukiko was an idiot and didn't use Mediarahan finally sent me over the edge.

My final thoughts:

This is without a doubt one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. From the story to the characters to the gameplay to every little nuance, it was an amazing ride. Even though it took me over 80 hours to beat, it feels like it was less than half that simply because of how much of a blast I was having.

I was originally planning to take a sizable time off before playing the game again, but I don't know right now. I might wind up starting my second run fairly soon. Although I have that copy of Dragon Quest VIII that I've been holding off on until I beat this, so I'll probably have a go at that first.

In closing, though, I must reiterate how amazing this game is. The combat was enjoyable and challenging, and actually made me think a hell of a lot. The social linking and time management was wonderful, as well. The soundtrack was most certainly top notch. The story was engaging, providing tons of twists and turns at all the right moments. On top of that, the writing was great. There were plenty of laugh out loud funny moments that always seemed to balance out the deadly serious moments. What struck me most about the story was the maturity and depth, however. Other games can keep their 'gritty' stories with bald space marines and the colors being a contrast between black and gray. For all the bright colors, exclamation marks and high school students, Persona 4 had one of the most engaging stories I've seen in a video game in quite some time. It didn't just entertain me, it actually made me think. Rather than presenting the player with shallow 'moral choices', it presented the actual person in all of us with moral dilemmas to think about on our own time. The in depth look at how people act and feel was also very profound, and extremely well handled. But where the game really shone, in my mind, was in the cast. The characters were all very well fleshed out and engaging. Any one of them could have been the character of the game in another game, but here they were all one part of a much larger whole. Although I had my favorites, there is no character I can point to as actually being a poor character. I feel like that says a great deal.

Finally, I want to thank Atlus for the amazing translation and localization of this game. The script was top notch, and all of the voices were completely perfect (ignoring "Aha! Is this our chance?" and "Our enemy is down! We must strike!", which I'll write off as early flubs from before the actors got completely comfortable with the characters).

So, tl;dr: Persona 4 is fucking amazing.

Mamesj

Banned
Where is the point of no return and how do I avoid missing out on the true ending? (it's a difference of like 10 hours of gameplay, right?)

I'm mid may right now.

Top Bottom