• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So, i just got Persona 4. It will be my first Persona game. Anything important i need to know before i start ?

Should i start with normal or beginner for my first time ? :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Kandrick said:
So, i just got Persona 4. It will be my first Persona game. Anything important i need to know before i start ?

The only difference between normal and beginner is that beginner gives you 10 or so items to undo a gameover.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Kandrick said:

The opening hours are mostly dialouge and not so much gameplay, and it takes around four hours before the game really lets you play (at least it took that long for me).

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
ItsInMyVeins said:
The opening hours are mostly dialouge and not so much gameplay, and it takes around four hours before the game really lets you play (at least it took that long for me).

Yeah i already started ( in normal ), but i have been playing for about 2 hours and half, and still havent fought a single monster. And it got me thinking about difficulty.

So the only diference is that when you die, you have to reload the save on normal ? Thats ok i guess :D

Red Scarlet

Kandrick said:

Most important things to know are to DO SOMETHING with your time all the time. Either do an S-Link (and have a matching arcana persona) or build up a stat if you can't do an S-Link that day. At night you can build up stats and get money if you look at the billboard a couple weeks into the game and do a job at night if there is no S-Link or book available. If you want to get the most out of building an S-Link, just save when you can do multiple and see which ones will go up in 1 meeting and which ones won't, so you get the most out of the various free bonuses through regular progression of the game.

Also make sure you either have a couple of Goho-M items or something with the Traesto spell so you can get out of dungeons easily. You can get Traesto early in the game if you create a Cu Sith (Sun arcana). He learns it naturally and gets Growth 1. Growth is a good ability to pass on to Personas to get experience on the Persona without using them.

Try to have all 4 elemental spells on your main character.
You can create a 4-elemental-in-one early on in the game, which makes keeping SP a lot easier as well, but to get it with 4 elementals the probable easiest way will likely require some fighting around on a specific day early in the game with a couple of earlier Personas used beforehand to get to the level needed to fuse it. And it may make the game a whole lot/too easy
. If you want to do this, the 'easiest way' day is VERY early in the game
4/19

Also pay attention to the Fusion Forecast. You can only see 2 day's worth, but you can get some VERY useful abilities through the Fusion Forecast. I wrote them all down on my last playthrough if you would like just a month-by-month version if you don't want to check.

I also kept track of all the quest information as well as how I fused most of my good Personas, but that may make the game a lot less fun/too easy.

A few S-Links give stat bonuses, I did those first but I don't think that is necessary. But hey, free stat boost + S-Link together.

Once you unlock the Hermit S-Link, try to complete the quest as soon as possible, that way you can build up the link on a day you can't do any S-Links (usually rainy day). That worked out really well on my current all links maxed playthrough.

Oh, and when you go into dungeons, turn voices off..it gets really annoying when the 'commentator' says the same thing 3-5 times in a row every round.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Red Scarlet said:
Lots of infos

I have a feeling i wont be able to do much on my fist run, im overwhelmed with the things to do everyday since you can mostly only do one :lol

Like i said, its my first persona game, took me a while to understand how it worked. Things like, sometimes i dont know what to do on a day, build up a s-link and wich one or grind a few levels. I dont really like to use walkthrough or guides, so im kinda learning it while i play.

Still learning about the fusions too, sometimes i found myself just picking two of them and doing the fusion to get a higher level one with some decent abilities + specials. I guess there are some "better" personnas to have.

So far i played for about 13hours and i just started the second dungeon. Only died once on some boss but it was close so i came back prepared and had no problem beating it :lol

Oh and is there a way to regen SP while in dungeons other than using items ?

Aru

I bought the game.
Couldn't resist, only 13 €. Cheaper than the OST alone :lol

Let's hope I like it, it'll be my first Persona.

Red Scarlet

Kandrick said:

I have a feeling i wont be able to do much on my fist run, im overwhelmed with the things to do everyday since you can mostly only do one :lol

Like i said, its my first persona game, took me a while to understand how it worked. Things like, sometimes i dont know what to do on a day, build up a s-link and wich one or grind a few levels. I dont really like to use walkthrough or guides, so im kinda learning it while i play.

Still learning about the fusions too, sometimes i found myself just picking two of them and doing the fusion to get a higher level one with some decent abilities + specials. I guess there are some "better" personnas to have.

So far i played for about 13hours and i just started the second dungeon. Only died once on some boss but it was close so i came back prepared and had no problem beating it :lol

Oh and is there a way to regen SP while in dungeons other than using items ?

Oh, you're a lot farther than I thought you were at. :(

Each day, I just saved it and took note of who I could talk with for S-Links, then tried them out to see which ones would level up on that day, and which ones needed at least 2 visits, and then reloaded and raised the level of one.

That 4-elemental-in-one Persona I was mentioning made my dungeoning a whole lot easier, because besides having all 4 elementals, it had one Null element affinity and a weak, but it gets Null to it later, and it has the Invigorate 2 ability, which gives me 5 SP every turn. So I'd use that one to find the weaknesses of enemies and conserve the SP of the other party members. It also had a group heal spell, and when my main character ran low on SP, I could just go out of the dungeon, get rid of the other party members, then go back to 1F of the first dungeon and just choose to defend and get my SP restored..I basically had infinite SP for the main guy and got through every dungeon in one day that way.

It's still possible to make the 4-elemental one, but it'll be a little more annoying. On 4/19, you would get the elec spell (Zio) added, and it starts with the Ice spell to all (Mabufu), so you just needed to get a result with a fire and wind spell and you'd have it with all 4 elementals. Now, your best bet would be on a day with Skill Change as the Fusion Forecast result, and you'd want to use the Skill Change to get rid of a particular spell on some of the ingredients (Dia). It'd take time, but it's still doable..and more annoying now.

Another tip to make things a little easier is to make the most out of particular cards, like the Moon/Temperance/Tower ones. If you've gotten their effects, you know what they do, but there are ways to maximize their bonus depending on the dungeon you are in.

Also make sure you keep your Personas up to date. Whenever you leave a dungeon, register them if they've gained a level or stat boost or upgraded spell..you never know when a spell will get downgraded and if it's up to date to before that, you can dispose of the downgraded one and just rebuy the non-downgraded again.

Red Scarlet

All done. I'm glad the game answered every question about, well, everything.

Here's my main 12 (still waiting for yours, RocketDarkness!). I didn't actually use about half of them.

p4121.png

Scathach became my..sixth actual main. I started with a 4-elemental Sarasvati, then a 4-elemental Black Frost with Victory Cry, then a 4-elemental Sarasvati with Victory Cry, followed by a 4-elemental ma-dyne Vishnu, a 4-elemental ma-dyne Loki with Repel Physical and Victory Cry, then Scathach. Only real "weakness" she had was being normal to light and dark, but an Enduring Soul accessory helped prevent annoyingness. Could blast anything without fear of a repel blasting me in the face.

Yoshitsune replaced the Siegfried and Tam Lin I made earlier. Repel Dark gave him defense against instant death, and Angelic Grace worked out well enough against fire, ice, and wind. Enduring Soul helped against damage as well, and if I wanted to, I could just spam his Hassou Tobi attack (which was too powerful) if I wanted.

Surt was my main fire guy. Strongest fire spell in the game, Fire Boost, and Fire Amp. Immune to physicals and all 4 elements. Never used him.

Loki was my second-to-last 4-elemental main, and main ice guy. He was a stronger version of Black Frost (without Mudoon though) with Repel Physical and Null Fire instead of Absorb. Only used him for about 4 battles, since I stumbled upon my Scathach about a half hour later.

-----

p4122.png

Trumpeter was pretty much my actual main elec guy, since I had him before Tam Lin and the Thor above. This Thor does have the strongest elec spell in the game, a strong physical, no weaknesses, and Auto-Matarukaja, but I never used him.

Norn was my main wind Persona, but I never used her. Used her a bit earlier when I had Repel Elec instead of Null Elec (and no anti-physical). I can make a good Odin, but I didn't see the point.

Daisoujou was my main light guy and main healer for a long time. One of the first guys I had Repel Physical on, too. A magician card upgraded Diarahan to Mediarahan, so he was a really useful double-role Persona for a long time. I felt like remaking him a couple of times to get rid of Agidyne for something like Victory Cry, but it didn't matter all too much in the end.

Alice. <3 <3 Alice. Obviously, my main darkness Persona. Used a previous one a lot more, with Mind Charge instead of Angelic Grace. But Angelic Grace made her better, I guess. For a long time (after the initial Sarasvati), Alice was my "biggest accomplishment" Persona that I had fused.

-----

p4123.png

Helel. My theoretical "nuker". Immune to everything. Also had the strongest spell in the game, a strong physical attack, and the strongest heal spell in the game. Never used him once.

Ishtar. Been wanting to make her since I saw johnsmith post his Ishtar. Lovers was the last S-Link I got maxed (aside from the obvious last one). Was really annoying to make her exactly how I wanted; I tried to fuse her with the 3 weaker Lovers ones, and it just wouldn't work out, until I saw an obvious, easier way to make her.
:mad:
. At the end of things, one of my top 3 "biggest accomplishment" fuses and certainly the most satisfying; she was the second-to-last one I made. Best healing spell, best revive spell (both at half the SP use), one-round status ailment affection, instant-revive (to counter instant death spells), anti-physical, no weaknesses, and increased dodging of magic.

Succubus was basically my SP restorer. Invigorate 3 + Spirit Drain = restore my SP. With Absorb Physical and no weaknesses, I could steal SP in peace. She was also a cheaper Alice on my New Game+.

Trumpeter. Probably my biggest "oh yeah I made a good Persona", but I'm not really sure. Was the first immune to everything one I made, and was really my main elec Persona, but I didn't use him all that much aside from early bosses. Debilitate was used sometimes, Heat Riser not as much.
Was glad to make him, though. I was going for Repel Physical and either Absorb Fire or Null Wind, but who am I to complain?

-----

Well, I enjoyed the game. P3 felt more "epic" though in the finale of that and the start of The Answer. I won't play either game for quite awhile, but it should be fun when I do.

And because somebody, sometime will ask..

And Pop:
\(^__-)/
. Thanks for getting me to try P3 for $30, Error.

Oh, I completely forgot. Is there a complete P4 OST? The one that came with the game is missing some songs, and I was going to record them, but I obviously have no idea what the names of the songs are.

ronito

Man just finished the void dungeon boss. Man that damn baby really pissed me off, I haven't sworn at a videogame for a long time but last night you'd never be able to tell.

Yaweee

Red Scarlet said:
Oh, I completely forgot. Is there a complete P4 OST? The one that came with the game is missing some songs, and I was going to record them, but I obviously have no idea what the names of the songs are.

The second disc came with the Social Link Expansion Pack or whatever it's called.

And holy crap at how expensive that thing is now.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Does Rise become an actual battle member or is she regulated to being a guide for the rest of the game?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Ok, i think im done with this game :lol

Getting instant killed resulting in a game over isnt fun when you cant do anything about it.

I'm sure it's just perception, but I don't feel as though I'm doing as well with the S.Links playing again as I was the first time, before my save corrupted. I definitely messed up with the Hermit rank 5 quest,
I didn't order anything off the TV the first time, so I didn't have a prize sticker to give to the boy. I'm on the last day to save Kanji, with Hermit at rank 4, when it could have been 5 or even 6.

Also is there any use for quest items once you've turned the quest in? I hate menu clutter, and would just sell any spares, but I don't want to get caught out later on.

Red Scarlet

Kandrick said:
Ok, i think im done with this game :lol

Getting instant killed resulting in a game over isnt fun when you cant do anything about it.

Instant death spell or what? Try to find a main that isn't weak, or at least when you are in new areas, don't have a Persona equipped that is weak to light or dark (if that's what happened, anyway).

Die Squirrel Die said:
Also is there any use for quest items once you've turned the quest in? I hate menu clutter, and would just sell any spares, but I don't want to get caught out later on.

I never sold them until the end of the game, and they didn't seem to have any use aside from being what the quest person wanted.

Aru

The status is marked as packing on Play.com since yesterday.
WTF are they doing ? 48 hours to pack a game and it's still not ready ? :/
The payment has been done already :mad:

The game is sold out too...

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Red Scarlet said:
Instant death spell or what? Try to find a main that isn't weak, or at least when you are in new areas, don't have a Persona equipped that is weak to light or dark (if that's what happened, anyway).

I dont remember what it was. I just attacked some shadow on the way to the next floor after killing a mini boss, and the main character ( with full HP ) blew up as soon as their turn started. So much for the chances that your companions take a fatal blow for you.

There better not be more cheap deaths like that :D

Red Scarlet

If you have the Traesto spell (easy to get where you are), you can easily warp out of a dungeon when you get to a new floor and save if you want to minimize the losses.

No idea what happened in your game, unless you got Last Resorted by some Dice.

Doc Evils

Got this game because of gafs postive comments, going in to it thinking hardcore niche jrpg, but in fact it's really good and interesting.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Red Scarlet said:
If you have the Traesto spell (easy to get where you are), you can easily warp out of a dungeon when you get to a new floor and save if you want to minimize the losses.

No idea what happened in your game, unless you got Last Resorted by some Dice.

Yeah i have been using the Goho-M item, at least one in mid dungeon to save just in case. And go get some SP if needed. I just thought i could walk the few halls to the next floor after having killed that mini boss without dying. Bad idea.

And it might have been that, i remember seeing some Dices on that floor. How does it work anyway ? I recall having some dices blow up on me on the last dungeons, and they did hurt.

Red Scarlet

If you leave the dice enemies for last, they seem to almost always use Last Resort no matter their HP. They seem to sometimes use Last Resort if they are not the last enemy but are low on HP. Try to find the weakness of it and concentrate on it asap I'd guess. I'm not totally sure, but the 'party member takes a killing blow for you' *may* only work on single-target attacks at the main character, and I don't think I ever had someone run in front of me to take a hama/mudo spell for me. I think Last Resort is a physical or maybe magical attack, so you can use 'guard' to lower the damage. I think.

I'm not positive about any of the above, but that's what seemed to happen to me in those scenarios when I played.

A cheaper Goho-M would be to make a Cu Sith..it's the first Sun arcana Persona and learns Traesto last, after Growth 1, so you don't necessarily have to actually use it in battle to learn it. A Traesto Cu Sith (as long as you don't keep levelling it and registering it) should cost under 3000 yen, if you plan on warping out a lot.

Basch

Red Scarlet said:

Yeah, it's pretty good too. 2 Disc Set with most if not all of the tracks from the game. I love to listen to the music when I'm out driving. I've recently been listening to the Persona 3-Reincarnation- soundtrack. Bunch of remixes from both episodes. You wouldn't believe how impressed I was with that soundtrack. I'll probably try the Complete Digital Devil Saga OST sometime soon. Even though, I always find myself hitting up some tracks from P4 every so often.

Basch said:
Yeah, it's pretty good too. 2 Disc Set with most if not all of the tracks from the game. I love to listen to the music when I'm out driving. I've recently been listening to the Persona 3-Reincarnation- soundtrack. Bunch of remixes from both episodes. You wouldn't believe how impressed I was with that soundtrack. I'll probably try the Complete Digital Devil Saga OST sometime soon. Even though, I always find myself hitting up some tracks from P4 every so often.
I just ordered Reincarnation from Play-Asia, completing my Persona PS2 OST collection. I'll have, 3, FES, 4, and Reincarnation. And both of the official artbooks.

Persona merchandise is my wallet's weakness, I guess.

Basch

RocketDarkness said:
I just ordered Reincarnation from Play-Asia, completing my Persona PS2 OST collection. I'll have, 3, FES, 4, and Reincarnation. And both of the official artbooks.

Persona merchandise is my wallet's weakness, I guess.

I'm guilty of the same thing (minus the artbooks). But I couldn't resist, they're sooooooooooo good.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Can you have multiple relationships without any "trouble?"

My addiction is coming back. My Satan is the highest level I have so far. It's hard to keep track of all the Personas. I think I'm at 41% completion.

That void dungeon is the coolest dungeon in any rpg of late.

noi5e

Really? I thought that unlike P3, there weren't any Reversal penalties for being serious with more than one girl at once...

There wasn't for me at least except
Ayane and Rise fighting over me in the middle of the street :lol total player fan-service

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
When you attain max rank in a social link. Is there a point to continue to do things with them instead of working up on other social links ? Because
Chie is my girlfriend :D and all she does is come to my room, say she love me, and that is.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kandrick said:
When you attain max rank in a social link. Is there a point to continue to do things with them instead of working up on other social links ? Because
Chie is my girlfriend :D and all she does is come to my room, say she love me, and that is.

don't bother, once it's maxed out, there's nothing more you can achieve.

okay, finally beat it with the Normal ending at 105 hours... wow! What a FANTASTIC GAME.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't choke up a little either before the credits rolled. First time in a LONG time a game has gotten a genuine emotional response out of me.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So i am in early december, with my last save at around 83hours. I guess i am near the end. Been playing this for at least 6-7 hours a day since i started. :lol

Its hard to stop playing once you start. Havent even touched any other game since.

Really one of the best games i have played in 2008/2009. So awesome, i hope the ending will be good. I think i will be a little sad when i finish it though.

Tokubetsu

So I'm back home indefinitely and decided to pick back up P4 where I left off at the end of winter break. I'm around the 16 hour mark, 5/20 is the date and Highest level is 19 and im in the bathhouse themed dungeon. Archangel (12), Eligor (13), Sylph (11), Ippon-Datara (18), Izanagi (8) or what I've got equipped. I've got like 4 different saves from a few hours previous because I know there was a certain choice/decision i made that i wanted to have back up just incase and I can't remember what. What should I be doing now instead of just trying to clear the first 7 floors on the 5/20 like the DJ guide suggests?

EDIT: okay, I don't know if i can get to floor 7 like this. Sp is around midway to low on all my characters. Should I still try for it?

Basch

MoeB said:
And because somebody, sometime will ask..
wut. I finished the story in 58 hours. Mind you I only did 3 side quests. :)

Oh and one more thing. I just ordered FES. I really hope that I'll like it as much as I LOVED this game.

It will be a little rough at first, but once you get past June, I think the game picks up. You'll like it. Of that I'm sure. By the way, P4 took me 120 hours to beat. Then again, I went back through the dungeons at least 3 times each. Plus my Social Links. Love that game to death.

Flek

Banned
i just got the game last week .. iam 6 houers into it right now and have some questions:

1 - can you asign new personas to your team members?
2 - is there anyway to change your charackters name..i think if fucked something up -_-
3 - the anime sequences and the ost is awesome. Does a persona anime exist ?
4 - i want a figure of chie ... but they dont exist :( ?

Flek said:
1 - can you asign new personas to your team members?
Nope.
Flek said:
2 - is there anyway to change your charackters name..i think if fucked something up -_-
I don't think so.
Flek said:
3 - the anime sequences and the ost is awesome. Does a persona anime exist ?
There's an anime sequel to Persona 3 called "Persona - Trinity Soul"
Flek said:
4 - i want a figure of chie ... but they dont exist :( ?
I'm sure I've seen a Chie figurine posted on GAF before.
Edit:
f02274.jpg

Flek

Banned
a nice thanks :D To bad the chie figure requieres painting ... :/

Ah one more quesiton, i whas wondern if all the songs in the game are different in the japanese version? I mean are they localized too ?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Flek said:
a nice thanks :D To bad the chie figure requieres painting ... :/

Ah one more quesiton, i whas wondern if all the songs in the game are different in the japanese version? I mean are they localized too ?
I'm pretty sure the songs are exactly the same, no localizing is done. Japan just likes adding random english words in everything.

MoeB

straydog1980 said:
okay, finally beat it with the Normal ending at 105 hours... wow! What a FANTASTIC GAME.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't choke up a little either before the credits rolled. First time in a LONG time a game has gotten a genuine emotional response out of me.

Did you cry? You can be honest.

10085488.jpg

Do want.

Flek

Banned
does something like a "ingame calender" exist? Iam getting more and more activitys and its getting harder to kepp track of everything

kiryogi

Banned
Woo, back from SakuraCon. :D Got to meet Kappei Yamaguchi and had him sign my Persona 4. He even gave me a Kuma impression and a little emote on his signature relating to him.

sakcon094.png

I was originally going to get him to sign my Tales of Rebirth, but then realized oh snap, he had a spectacular performance in Persona 4. Went with that instead.

Yaweee

Kadey said:
At what date does the game officially end?

To get the true ending, do you have to max out all the S.Links?

For your first question:

Whenever you beat the dungeon boss in December, the game skips to the ending date. I think the last day you can complete that dungeon is Dec. 31st, though I could be wrong.

No, there are no S. Link prerequisites for the best ending.

Top Bottom