• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

kiryogi said:
Woo, back from SakuraCon. :D Got to meet Kappei Yamaguchi and had him sign my Persona 4. He even gave me a Kuma impression and a little emote on his signature relating to him.

sakcon094.png

I was originally going to get him to sign my Tales of Rebirth, but then realized oh snap, he had a spectacular performance in Persona 4. Went with that instead.
Holy shit that's awesome.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hmmmmm...it looks I'm closer than I thought. I'm at the end of November. I still want to max out Kanji at whom is at 7, Naota at 5 and Ai at 9. I wonder if I can make it. I've been grinding though (Satan at 86) so I can easily beat the game right now if need be.

ilikeme

kiryogi said:
Woo, back from SakuraCon. :D Got to meet Kappei Yamaguchi and had him sign my Persona 4. He even gave me a Kuma impression and a little emote on his signature relating to him.

sakcon094.png

I was originally going to get him to sign my Tales of Rebirth, but then realized oh snap, he had a spectacular performance in Persona 4. Went with that instead.
That guy is Ranma, InuYasha, Usopp and L? That's awesome for you man, gettin' the lovin' of a guvna of such caliber :D

MoeB

Having finished Persona 4 I'm now 2 hours into P3FES.
I have to say that the characters in P3FES are boring in comparison to P4 characters. The whole game is so emo and depressing.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Who is crazy enough to get Izanagi to 99 and play mainly with him? I am. :lol

smat6v.jpg

I just read levels and stuff don't carry over to new game. Bummer. I spent countless hours grinding. Moreso than any other RPG I've ever played and that's a statement considering I went overboard in the Disgaea games or any Nippon Ichi srpg even.

Tamanon

Banned
MoeB said:
I have to say that the characters in P3FES are boring in comparison to P4 characters. The whole game is so emo and depressing.

Keep in mind, you're used to P4's characters after an entire game. FES characters picks up as the game goes on. Although I do like P4's better personally.

Although Akihiko > all.

mAcOdIn

I liked the atmosphere and characters of Persona 3 better but I think Persona 4 was better done. I love both though.

Persona 4 is way more Emo though as far as the characters, all about facing your other self and that jazz, in my opinion.

mAcOdIn said:
I liked the atmosphere and characters of Persona 3 better but I think Persona 4 was better done. I love both though.

Persona 4 is way more Emo though as far as the characters, all about facing your other self and that jazz, in my opinion.
But facing yourself is a means of strengthening one's understanding of oneself, resulting in a more meaningful, fulfilling lifestyle. Emo is pretty much the polar opposite.

mAcOdIn said:

Nothing could possibly be more emo than P3 and the omni-present fixation on death, and futility. P4 is waaaaaay more optimistic and "not emo" compared to that game.

Kai Ozu

I bought a slimline ps2 4 days ago with P3 and P4. I'm playing P4 first and it's the best time I've had playing a rpg in a long time. This game makes me happy, a lot of funny shit in here. :D

Tokubetsu

MoeB said:

Funny that this is pretty much the exact reason why I prefer P3 over P4. Then again, my entire movie collection is either action based or horribly depressing. I just love a good tragedy I guess :lol

Red Scarlet

Hooray I made a proper Succubus (mp sponger) and a comparable (to Alice) Daisoujou!
p4132succubus.png

p4132daisoujou.png

Oh, I only pm'd RD..I did get my real Alice. <3 <3 <3
p4130.png

...wow there really is quite a difference between standard red/white/yellow av cables and an s-video one.

I also had an incredible fusion accident..I had Repel Light + Angelic Grace + Absorb Physical and the accident created a lv80 Satan for me. :lol

Kadey said:
Who is crazy enough to get Izanagi to 99 and play mainly with him? I am. :lol

smat6v.jpg

I just read levels and stuff don't carry over to new game. Bummer. I spent countless hours grinding. Moreso than any other RPG I've ever played and that's a statement considering I went overboard in the Disgaea games or any Nippon Ichi srpg even.
This is completely badass

Red Scarlet said:
Hooray I made a proper Succubus (mp sponger) and a comparable (to Alice) Daisoujou!

Oh, I only pm'd RD..I did get my real Alice. <3 <3 <3

...wow there really is quite a difference between standard red/white/yellow av cables and an s-video one.

I also had an incredible fusion accident..I had Repel Light + Angelic Grace + Absorb Physical and the accident created a lv80 Satan for me. :lol
Very nice Daisoujou. I never liked the guy, so I never bothered to make a particularly interesting one. 'grats on your real Alice, too.

Just beat it (best ending) with 80 plus hours, been playing since January. That ends the best JRPG I've played in...forever. I'm sure one day Persona 5 will be made, I can only hope it's of the same quality.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So technically you cannot max out s links in one playthrough nor do they carry over. That totally killed new game+ for me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kadey said:
So technically you cannot max out s links in one playthrough nor do they carry over. That totally killed new game+ for me.
Err, you CAN max out all s-links on the first playthrough, at least with a very regimented walkthrough. Much easier to do it on the second time. I got all but 3 maxed my first playthrough I think.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's impossible with all the stuff you have to do. I don't like how they limit everything in the game.
In order to get Izanagi no Okami, you have to beat it with true ending, then wait till 7/20 but also be at level 91.
And all that trouble in order to get Lucifer to only find out he sucks. Stuff like that. Worse new game+ in the series. :lol

XiaNaphryz said:
Err, you CAN max out all s-links on the first playthrough, at least with a very regimented walkthrough. Much easier to do it on the second time. I got all but 3 maxed my first playthrough I think.

I'm in the final dungeon on my first playthrough and I'm in the same boat. I didn't manage to get very far into the Temperance, Hanged Man or Moon S.Links. Everything else is maxed.

My compendiums up to 77%, and I think I'm going to try fuse everything I can before finishing.

Also, did I mess up, or is Chie only supposed to have Bufula and Mabufu as her highest ice spells?

Havok

So I bought a PS2 a few weeks ago to play this game specifically (after following the Giant Bomb Endurance Runs), and I just beat the True Ending last night after a marathon session. And I absolutely loved every minute of it, it was completely worth the 85 hours I put into it. The combat gets really easy towards the end once you have Cool Breeze or Victory Cry and Rise has Relaxing Wave, but it was still a blast.

Having said that, will I enjoy P3 as much as P4 if I decide to pick it up? Also, is it worth it to try the New Game+ stuff immediately, or should I let it wait until I decide to replay it down the line?

Darkman M

Havok said:
So I bought a PS2 a few weeks ago to play this game specifically (after following the Giant Bomb Endurance Runs), and I just beat the True Ending last night after a marathon session. And I absolutely loved every minute of it, it was completely worth the 85 hours I put into it. The combat gets really easy towards the end once you have Cool Breeze or Victory Cry and Rise has Relaxing Wave, but it was still a blast.

Having said that, will I enjoy P3 as much as P4 if I decide to pick it up? Also, is it worth it to try the New Game+ stuff immediately, or should I let it wait until I decide to replay it down the line?

P3 is really good as well, just a bit darker if you enjoyed P4 i see no reason not to pick up p3!

Manmademan said:
yeah, if you want ice spells use teddy

Thankfully, with the One More system, her ice spells aint worthless, and can still help in battle.

It'll feel like a first draft of this design model after having played P4, fair warning.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm new to this series, and started watching the giantbomb endurance run........

could someone tell me wether the unending cutscenes and scant gameplay are just a problem with the first part of the game, or is that how the game works? i know you've gotta get a player acclimated to the story, but the endurance run is more a 'hit x' thing than anything else so far.

Ourobolus

Banned
mattiewheels said:
i'm new to this series, and started watching the giantbomb endurance run........

could someone tell me wether the unending cutscenes and scant gameplay are just a problem with the first part of the game, or is that how the game works? i know you've gotta get a player acclimated to the story, but the endurance run is more a 'hit x' thing than anything else so far.
The beginning of the game is pretty damn heavy on cutscenes. Once you start into the dungeons though, they're much more tolerable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
thanks. as someone who hasn't played yet, should i start with p3fes or p4?

BY OVERWHELMING DEMAND

These are the interesting guys in my current stable at my last save:

Satan 82
Megidolaon
Maragidyne
Maziodyne
Black Viper
Spell Master
Null Wind
Invigorate 3
Regenerate 3

Arahabaki
Vicious Strike
Auto-Maraku
Null Fear
Myriad Arrows
Auto-Mataru
Marakarn
Repel Physical
Tetrakarn

Vishnu 78
Megidolaon
Akasha Arts
Mabufudyne
Tetrakarn
Regenerate 3
Auto-Maraku
God's Hand
Power Charge

Kohryu 83
Ziodyne
Salvation
Samarecarm
Elec Boost
Maziodyne
Mind Charge
Elec Amp
Spell Master

Trumpeter 74
Megidolaon
Ziodyne
Elec Amp
Cool Breeze
Debilitate
Dekaja
Mind Charge
Heat Riser

Norn 79
Magarudyne
Garudyne
Insta-Heal
Invigorate 3
Wind Boost
Spell Master
Wind Amp
Debilitate

Ishtar 78
Salvation
Samarecarm
Amrita
Spell Master
Absorb Wind
Null Physical
Null Light
Maziodyne

Siyou

im closing in on 80 hours for Persona 4, must say, great time to be had by all. up until 3am playing haha... wow i am lifeless, but god do i have social links with fake people!

I love this game and i hope to see the ending without checking out the ending from everyone else's posts. =/ I'm not 1/4 as hardcore about this game as most of u are. I leveled up pretty high in persona 3 FES bu i didnt really go for the new game +, i just couldnt be bothered to play an RPG a second time =/. I do look forward to the ending very much and i have been playing more for the story than anything else =) I hope i get the good ending! I've been having such a hard time maxing out social links where as developing them i can do that no problem... I think ill fall short which will only piss me off =/ /rant

mattiewheels said:

Nope. Keep in mind, the P4 team avoided lots of exposition being a "problem" by making it mostly of outstanding quality and use to other parts of the game, thus avoiding one of the big pratfalls of other RPGs that tend to become irritatingly boring or silly when they get anywhere near the amount P4 sports.

this is my first foray in the persona games but I must say I am loving it so far, about 5 hours in now.....the Persona system really feels alot like FFVIII to me, is it just me?

xintin

hahah wow, i just got to the school trip.
going back to Gekkoukan is awesome, they even brought back Chihiro <3
loved that they used the P3 music too. Watching the Club Escapade scene now, pretty hilarious :lol

I love it when games do things like this~
Edit -
damn, I had to give Yosuke a piggyback ride
:lol

Septimus

Hey guys is it possible to go back to earlier dungeons or no? Grr I hope so since I didn't do some of the quests and I'm on Rise-chan's dungeon now..

MoogPaul

I just finished this up last night around 2:30am. I really enjoyed it. I didn't find the true ending to be difficult to find considering how much they talk about "the truth" and having "no regrets." Overall, I liked the story in 3 better than 4... for some reason things appeared to be more pertinent and pressing in 3. I have no reason to justify that, just the way I felt. I like the characters in 4 just as much as 3 but the bond seems closer in 3. You live in the same house, you all help each other out more,
Shinji dies
. It just seemed like everyone hung out together (as a group) less in 4.
I was kind of bummed about the rural town. There wasn't a whole lot to do and every S-Link scene took place in (what seemed like) 1 of 6 places. I mean, there were rainy days, where most S-Links aren't available, that I didn't really have anything to do. I'd just end up taking the rainy day challenge most of the time. There seemed to be a lot more diversity in 3 with the mall and the two different train stations. Another thing that kind of bothered me was the availability of your team members. I know some people didn't like the fact that on some random days, some SEEDS members were sick or just flat out unavailable for Tartarus, but it felt more realistic to me. It forces you to use a variety of members, as well. It felt odd that I couldn't hang out with Chie, but I could make her drop whatever she was doing to come down to Junes. And don't get me started on the quest system in 4. I HATED having to walk around and talk to pretty much every NPC after ever dungeon to find the right ones who had quests. It was annoying and I stopped doing it after the 3rd dungeon.
That being said, mechanics wise, 4 blows 3 out of the water. It just seems like a bunch of the designers actually sat down and played 3 and actually improved on he formula. S-Links with your team members are more important as you gain battle skills and eventually upgraded persona. The links with Dojima and Nanako were really heartfelt and seemed as important as your friends. Whenever you fuse a persona, it automatically gets put into your compendium. Being able to hit square and "warp" around town.. just some real nice streamlining. I also enjoyed the music in 4 over 3 as well. I'm ready for Persona PSP this fall and hopefully an announcement of 5 around the same time.

xintin said:
oh fuck
Nanako just died :(
no shot at the good ending now?

edit -
WHAT THE FUCK SHE'S ALIVE!
You made the right choices and unlocked the good ending. Congrats.

Now, will you unlock the true ending? ;D

Tyrael

TenshiOni said:
You made the right choices and unlocked the good ending. Congrats.

Now, will you unlock the true ending? ;D

Finished the game yesterday on the normal ending and was thinking "Well, that's was nice, but something is missing...".

And I learn that it really have a true ending. :lol

Well, now I'm really happy that I haven't yet finished the game, and I will still have time to max at least 2 more S.Links. :D

ivysaur12

Banned
Just picked this up again since school is over.

Just got MegaTened in
Heaven
. Guarded with the MC cause I thought this would happen, but then attacked by another enemy, which was reflected and killed them and then the dice used last resort. An hour of dungeon crawling, gone.

Grrrr....

Top Bottom