• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

firex

I thought they explained that later but I can't remember.

edit: one thing I wish SMT games would add is a "return point" or cutscene skip beyond holding down triangle for repeat attempts on bosses. I don't mind reloading or anything, but it would be nice to be able to completely skip a cutscene you just watched that's right before a boss.

Red Scarlet

Limited saving is designed so you don't screw yourself over; auto-saving has that risk (and would let everyone abuse the crap out of arcana chance).

IrishNinja

Red Scarlet said:
Limited saving is designed so you don't screw yourself over; auto-saving has that risk (and would let everyone abuse the crap out of arcana chance).

see, i can appreciate that, but keeping multiple save files oughta keep me safe, id think. it just really sucks to be far into a story-heavy part and have to leave without saving.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's just a pain when you get to the point where leaving the dungeon to save is trivial because you have dozens of Goho-M's. It just comes down to time/loading screens at that point, and if you get anal and save after every floor, chances are you'll abuse the save system anyway.

Red Scarlet

If you saved before the cutscene, auto advance + mashing buttons gets you through pretty much any of the talking scenes in about 5 minutes tops. It's not that much time to make up!

IrishNinja

Red Scarlet said:
If you saved before the cutscene, auto advance + mashing buttons gets you through pretty much any of the talking scenes in about 5 minutes tops. It's not that much time to make up!

you're prolly right. mind you, im talking the first few hours of the game -
days are progressing, teh 2nd murder's happened, we're going back into TV land to investigate. its cool stuff, and i love the series, im mostly griping about this particular point where i played an hour plus with no chance to save.

not trying to bitch up this thread, i adored P3 FES and this is already shaping up nicely, its just the kinda thing that's hard not to think when i can get in & out of, say, SMT on DS without much hassle. give me a few days with this one, and ill be putting in long enough stretches overnight to not even gripe, im sure.

Red Scarlet

Oh, you are at the beginning. Yeah, that has the longest cutscene segments in the game, pretty much. Up until the last 10% of the game, at least.

Freezing

well I just hit a "bad" ending

I guess that's what I get for disagreeing with GiantBomb's decisions

So I reloaded the save and went back to do things the right "way." Which seems like it will provide hours of more playtime, because you know... this game is super short.

I just beat the game (got the true ending) and I gotta say it was a great game but man it fall apart in the last ten hours. Oh well, it was a quick sequel. Great game marred but a rushed final section.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
One thing I never figured out was if your S Link level with someone affected the percent chance of an upright spin on Arcana Shuffles. Does it do anything?

Is it best to finish a dungeon early and do S-linking and what not during the off time or stretch it out as long as possible?

And leaving Nanako to watch the house alone on summer days is really depressing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In my experience, you'll need as many free days as you can if you're interested in maxing out all the S-links.

That said, I also screwed up and didn't plan for the summer holiday (where all of your school friends become inaccessible), so if you plan ahead, you might be able to spend more time in the dungeon grinding for levels/materials.

But eventually, you should be able to do as much grinding as you want in a single in-game day.

Tamanon

Banned
Error said:
so this has been bothering me...

4th dungeon spoilers

after beating mitsuo's shadow why did it disappear like that? he never accepted that part of his personality shouldn't the shadow fight back like kanji's shadow did?

plot hole?

Nope, not a plot hole! Explained later!

Tamanon

Banned
One of the big S Links you should work on is the Hermit one. Get that one up to level 5 or 6 at least and you can breeze through dungeons in one day period. Plus if you get him up to 10, the shrine gets another power.:D

Don't drag out the amount of days you spend in a dungeon. Grinding becomes so easy later on, that if you think your levels aren't as high as they should be, you can grind and continue making progress in a single day.

My advice is to max out the Fox Social Link as soon as possible. When he's at max, SP restoration is only 25% of the original cost. I could have done the last three dungeons in a single day if the game let me, as in the second half of the game, money is never a problem (though I didn't resummon many Persona).

Seriously, Persona 4 actually gets easier the further you get into it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tamanon said:
Nope, not a plot hole! Explained later!

Can you please explain it ? I might have missed it .. i just thought it was because
mitsuo was kind of crazy and didn't really know what the hell was going on since Adachi tricked him into the TV when he came to confess for the crimes

Tamanon

Banned
chandoog said:
Can you please explain it ? I might have missed it .. i just thought it was because
mitsuo was kind of crazy and didn't really know what the hell was going on since Adachi tricked him into the TV when he came to confess for the crimes

He didn't accept his other self, so it just disappeared for the time being, that's all.

Felix Lighter said:
Is it best to finish a dungeon early and do S-linking and what not during the off time or stretch it out as long as possible?

Once I got the ability to do so (probably by the third or fourth dungeon) I would wait for a day with crappy S-Link pickings, then go into the dungeon and do the whole thing, including the boss, in one shot. If you start on the Hermit early on you'll be making enough money to explore-then-restore almost indefinitely fairly early on.

Tamanon

Banned
So I picked the game back up again to finish off the True ending so I can go through a third cycle. In the December dungeon and been using the Yosuke/Kanji/Yukiko combo. Kanji just got Primal Force and holy fuck, that thing hits like a damn truck. Found a +10 strength accessory and he's just wrecking folks left and right. About to take on the dungeon boss in a bit after Bleach is over. <3 my Trumpeter.

Tamanon said:
So I picked the game back up again to finish off the True ending so I can go through a third cycle. In the December dungeon and been using the Yosuke/Kanji/Yukiko combo. Kanji just got Primal Force and holy fuck, that thing hits like a damn truck. Found a +10 strength accessory and he's just wrecking folks left and right. About to take on the dungeon boss in a bit after Bleach is over. <3 my Trumpeter.

No love for Yoshitsune? Izanagi? Lucifer? Izanago-no-Okami?

I've yet to actually start my second playthrough because my friend is borrowing my PS2.

TheExodu5

Banned
Error said:
man my black frost is just nasty. I'm one shotting everything in this dungeon, I actually feel kind of bad.

513px-BlackFrostSMT3.jpg

Maragion
Bufula
Ice Boost
Auto-suku
Auto-taru
Fire boost
Fire amp
Mind Charge

just nasty. also is it me? or the auto-kaja's skills seem to last more than 3 rounds to me...

Damn how did you get auto-suku and auto-taru on there?

Facism

charlequin said:
Once I got the ability to do so (probably by the third or fourth dungeon) I would wait for a day with crappy S-Link pickings, then go into the dungeon and do the whole thing, including the boss, in one shot. If you start on the Hermit early on you'll be making enough money to explore-then-restore almost indefinitely fairly early on.

I'm currently stuck trying to push that S-Link further. It's where you have to feed the dog, but with what i ask!?

Tamanon said:
It should just allow you to get one from Chie, but in reality
You gotta go to that steak shop right above Aiya
:lol

It's actually below. Right as you enter Shopping District 2.

firex

Ekgar said:
The PS2 generation sucked for RPGs, because Sakaguchi didn't do much. Persona series sucks.
That troll was as stellar as the gutter trash Pokemon series your avatar comes from.

Tamanon

Banned
True ending acheived. The reward you get from Elizabeth for maxing all your soul links is one of those +50% EXP armors. So useful in the final dungeon. Ended up with only 86% of the compendium though. Didn't feel like grinding for money to do much more fusing, think I ended it with 6k Yen.:lol

Aurelius said:
Finished the game last night. True ending. Damn, that final boss was epic. It took me 3 attempts to take him down.
If you're refering to
Adachi, that's not the final boss of the True Ending.

Facism

Tamanon said:
It should just allow you to get one from Chie, but in reality
You gotta go to that steak shop right above Aiya
:lol

Excellent, thanks to both you and phoenix.

Can't wait to get back to some P4 tonight.

Facism

I have a questiona bout izanagi.

He apparently stopped learning skills quite early, is he any use or worth later in the game?

Top Bottom