• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Started replaying this yesterday.

I don't remember the first bonus boss being such a huge cocksucker on my first playthrough.
RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE

FUCK OFF ALREADY

Tamanon

Banned
rainking187 said:

I don't remember the first bonus boss being such a huge cocksucker on my first playthrough.
RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE

FUCK OFF ALREADY

Yeah, he's pretty much the only boss I wait a dungeon to fight, every other one I can just go take down almost immediately.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
rainking187 said:

RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE

FUCK OFF ALREADY

You're talking about
The King
boss right ? that made one of the best endurance run episodes :lol

Uncle AJ

rainking187 said:

RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE

FUCK OFF ALREADY

Hit/Evasion buffs (Sukukaja) and de-buffs (Sukunda) totally saved this fight for me... seeing that "MISS" icon over all four of my party members during a Rampage was a total "FUCK YEAH" moment for me.

Also,
casting Red Wall at the start of battle to throw you off to the fact that he already DRAINS FIRE is a real dick move...

rainking187 said:

RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE
Is anyone still alive?
Yes
RAMPAGE

FUCK OFF ALREADY

That happened to me on my recently started second run, too. I beat him easily the first time, but he gave me a decent amount of trouble the second time around. More than I remembered. Then again, I am playing on hard mode this time.

A couple spoilery questions:

Is there a list of the absolute last date to save the characters? I guess I fucked around too much with social links this time, because it seems like there was a very small amount of time between when I rescued Kanji and when Rise showed up. I didn't even get to think about fighting his bonus boss. I'm afraid I'm going to screw up and lose someone.

What happens if you don't save someone in time? Is it just automatic game over, do they have a death scene, or what?

I know you can get different weapons for the characters by searching the area where the boss was, does Chie ever get a weapon this way?

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
rainking187 said:
A couple spoilery questions:

Is there a list of the absolute last date to save the characters? I guess I fucked around too much with social links this time, because it seems like there was a very small amount of time between when I rescued Kanji and when Rise showed up. I didn't even get to think about fighting his bonus boss. I'm afraid I'm going to screw up and lose someone.

What happens if you don't save someone in time? Is it just automatic game over, do they have a death scene, or what?

I know you can get different weapons for the characters by searching the area where the boss was, does Chie ever get a weapon this way?

Don't stress so much over those dates. If you screw up so badly that you DON'T save them in time, the game simply rewinds a week, and lets you do things differently. Remember, people get killed on foggy days. Foggy days happen after 2 or more days of rain. If you see 2 or more days of rain on a forecast, make sure to go and finish the dungeon!

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
rainking187 said:
Does it undo everything you originally did that week?

Sadly, yes. It automatically saves a cache a week before a murder takes place. That's where the game will load from if you choose to try again. To avoid having to do this, use multiple save files :)

rainking187 said:
I didn't even get to think about fighting his bonus boss.

Since your post suggests you might not be aware of this,
the bonus bosses don't go anywhere. You can go back and beat them while you're in the TV world doing the next dungeon.

Taking my second playthrough much slower than my first. I'm also kind of disappointed in myself,
I totally forgot about the old school RPG dungeon which is easily the best one.
And in a somewhat related note for dinner tonight I had STEAK STEAK STEAK STEAK STEAK STEAK.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ProudClod said:
Sadly, yes. It automatically saves a cache a week before a murder takes place. That's where the game will load from if you choose to try again. To avoid having to do this, use multiple save files :)

Well, at least they give you a chance I suppose... especially if you're doing a one save run ala Giantbomb.

octopusman said:
"help out" or "be an ass and leave" :lol :lol :lol, the most obvious social link decision in the game.
I'm a big fan of the tutor kid social link choice that lets you call that little prick a...well, little prick. Which I did. Man did I dislike that kid.

MarkusRJR

I've gotten interested in the Persona series from the Endurance Run on Giant Bomb. The sad thing is, I don't have a ps2 (so I can't get Persona 3/4 on ps2) and I'm kind of curious if they've announced a Persona 5? If not, what platform do you think they'd put it on (just curious)?

I might buy a PSP Go for P3P because I'm so desperate to play a Persona game. D:

Yaceka said:
I've gotten interested in the Persona series from the Endurance Run on Giant Bomb. The sad thing is, I don't have a ps2 (so I can't get Persona 3/4 on ps2) and I'm kind of curious if they've announced a Persona 5? If not, what platform do you think they'd put it on (just curious)?

I might buy a PSP Go for P3P because I'm so desperate to play a Persona game. D:
Hahaha... ha...

You don't want to hear the discussion over P5 on whatever platform. :lol

You could just get a regular PSP slim model for the upcoming localized Persona 1 or the eventuality that is the localization for P3P.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Finally going through FES and damn this game has way better characters and a much better story (so far). Also I think the social links are better. The Tower, Sun, Hierophant, Lovers and Hanged Man links in particular were really good. I also gotta good laugh out of the horrible internet speak in the Hermit link. I do however appreciate all the gameplay upgrades in P4 now though (holy balls why is there no guard command?).

Gorgon

Yaceka said:

Why not buy a PS2 instead in that case?!? It's far cheaper and you get both P3 FES and P4.

Vorador

Banned
Yaceka said:

Buy a ps2, it's 99$ brand new. For what i've seen P3P is kind of gimped in some ways ( no running around the city makes me sad ;_; ) and P4 is unlikely to receive a port anytime soon.

Gorgon said:
Why not buy a PS2 instead in that case?!? It's far cheaper and you get both P3 FES and P4.
This this this. PS2 is so very worth it. I have a huge backlog on the dang thing.

And I say this as a somewhat biased Nintendo fan.

Vorador

Banned
HK-47 said:
Finally going through FES and damn this game has way better characters and a much better story (so far). Also I think the social links are better. The Tower, Sun, Hierophant, Lovers and Hanged Man links in particular were really good. I also gotta good laugh out of the horrible internet speak in the Hermit link. I do however appreciate all the gameplay upgrades in P4 now though (holy balls why is there no guard command?).

Yeah, i thought so too. For example Junpei
progression across the game is awesome, seeing how he reacts to everything that's happening and at the end growing as a person was something i've only experienced in counted games, seeing how a character evolves during the story.
Yosuke (that plays the same role in P4, closest male friend of the MC) doesn't hold a candle against him, he's far more shallow.

And the story is far better, specially the final boss and the ending.

Tamanon

Banned
I think P3's characters have better stories, but P4's characters have better interactions. Junpei is one of the only characters in 3 that really grows or even that really surprises you.

Also, I'd say that any amount that Junpei is better than Yosuke is completely nullified by how much better a character Kanji is over Akihiko.:lol

Tamanon said:
I think P3's characters have better stories, but P4's characters have better interactions. Junpei is one of the only characters in 3 that really grows or even that really surprises you.

This.

P3's characters were a bit more interesting, but P4's characters were believable.

My only real problem with P3 is that every damn person has parental/caretaker issues or is an orphan.

MC: Orphan
Yukari: Dead Father.
Aigis: No parental problems.(Unless you count Ikutsuki using her as a tool.)
Junpei: Alcoholic father.
Mitsuru: Distant
and later on dead
Father.
Akihiko: Orphan.
Fuuka: Neglectful Parents.
Ken: Dead Mother.
Shinji: Orphan.
Koromaru: Dead owner.

Even a few S.Links.

Tamanon

Banned
To be fair, the personal demons are kinda the reason for the whole having personas thing. I definitely think that's a lot better than everyone in P3 just having "the potential" and needing a gun. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Yaceka said:

Oh my god, get a PS2! There are so many games worth playing. P4 alone is worth the purchase.

Fimbulvetr said:
I like how the P3 characters apparently don't have "personal demons".:lol
Well of course they do, but for me, at least, it's a case of empathy versus sympathy. Persona 3's characters are easy to sympathize with, but difficult to empathize with, as they have extreme situations that very few people have ever experienced. P4's, in comparison, may seem shallower due to their less dramatic demons, but they're simple to empathize with. Personal depth of character, parental expectations, playing second banana...these are things that many people have experienced in some capacity, I'm sure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty much... I mean, being "abandoned" by your husband and left to babysit his kid is probably a little awkward... but not quite that traumatic.

RocketDarkness said:
Well of course they do, but for me, at least, it's a case of empathy versus sympathy. Persona 3's characters are easy to sympathize with, but difficult to empathize with, as they have extreme situations that very few people have ever experienced. P4's, in comparison, may seem shallower due to their less dramatic demons, but they're simple to empathize with. Personal depth of character, parental expectations, playing second banana...these are things that many people have experienced in some capacity, I'm sure.

That isn't Yukiko's problem, in fact that more easily fits Fuuka(and Mitsuru to a lesser extent).

Tamanon

Banned
So one thing's struck me as odd. I at first thought it was my TV's speakers, but watching the Endurance Run episode I also noticed it. Big December spoilers:
When you're talking with everyone and Yosuke is trying to convince you to throw Namatame in, his voice has that little bit of reverb to it, almost like it's his shadow self speaking. I wonder if that was intended. His is the only voice I noticed with that effect, wonder if it signified his darker self influencing things.

Fimbulvetr said:
That isn't Yukiko's problem, in fact that more easily fits Fuuka(and Mitsuru to a lesser extent).
It's an aspect of it, alright? I haven't played the game in a while. I still think my point is valid, overall.

Tamanon said:
So one thing's struck me as odd. I at first thought it was my TV's speakers, but watching the Endurance Run episode I also noticed it. Big December spoilers:
When you're talking with everyone and Yosuke is trying to convince you to throw Namatame in, his voice has that little bit of reverb to it, almost like it's his shadow self speaking. I wonder if that was intended. His is the only voice I noticed with that effect, wonder if it signified his darker self influencing things.
Hmm, nice catch. That would be interesting indeed, and could conceivably match with Yosuke's issues.

RocketDarkness said:
It's an aspect of it, alright? I haven't played the game in a while. I still think my point is valid, overall.

With Fuuka, her parental problems are the cause of her low self-esteem.

For Yukiko, it's just an excuse she made up to cover for her lack of independence.

I also find it ironic that,
despite the fact that Yosuke wanted to kill Namatame, they are actually foils to each other.

firehawk12 said:
Pretty much... I mean, being "abandoned" by your husband and left to babysit his kid is probably a little awkward... but not quite that traumatic.

So having the hots for a teacher that was never in love with you is somehow more deep?

Fimbulvetr said:
So having the hots for a teacher that was never in love with you is somehow more deep?
Is this P3's Magician S-Link being discussed? There's still a handful of S-Links I never finished between the two games, and P3-Magician is one of them.

RocketDarkness said:
Is this P3's Magician S-Link being discussed? There's still a handful of S-Links I never finished between the two games, and P3-Magician is one of them.

Yeah. Nothing beats P3's Sun arcana though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fimbulvetr said:
This.

P3's characters were a bit more interesting, but P4's characters were believable.

My only real problem with P3 is that every damn person has parental/caretaker issues or is an orphan.

MC: Orphan
Yukari: Dead Father.
Aigis: No parental problems.(Unless you count Ikutsuki using her as a tool.)
Junpei: Alcoholic father.
Mitsuru: Distant
and later on dead
Father.
Akihiko: Orphan.
Fuuka: Neglectful Parents.
Ken: Dead Mother.
Shinji: Orphan.
Koromaru: Dead owner.

Even a few S.Links.

I dont get what this means. Or rather I do, but think its bullshit.

ultron87

So I'm now into the True Ending dungeon. And (march spoilers, I guess)
Really? The Gas Station Attendant is the big bad? I didn't mind the Giant Eyeball of the Collective Unconciousness, and probably would've been okay with leaving it there had that explained the few loose ends that I assume will be wrapped up at the the end of this dungeon. I do like that they all apparently never thought to talk about why the MC, Adachi, and Namatame could go into the TV right away for the entire three months that had passed.

Also, was I just seeing things or was Adachi's Persona a shadowy Izanagi?

The problem with P3's character development is after Shinji the party members get...odd. Thats also when the game s...t...a...r...ts...ge...t...t...in...g...sl...o...w...er... You end up with gems of plot and development lost in entire hillsides of NOTHING.

Yaweee

SatelliteOfLove said:
The problem with P3's character development is after Shinji the party members get...odd. Thats also when the game s...t...a...r...ts...ge...t...t...in...g...sl...o...w...er... You end up with gems of plot and development lost in entire hillsides of NOTHING.

I agree completely. The final three months without story boss fights was kind of excruciating.

ultron87 said:
Also, was I just seeing things or was Adachi's Persona a shadowy Izanagi?

Yes he is called Magatsu Izanagi, it's because the MC and Adachi are foils to each other. They even have the same voice actor.

Gorgon

SatelliteOfLove said:

Is that also the case with FES? I'm playing through P4 right now but I have FES waiting as soon as I finish.

Top Bottom