• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

firehawk12 said:
On the S-link stuff -
I wonder what happens at the final battle if you don't have S-link 9 with your party members... do they still take the hits for you?

Save support is Rank 1, Rank 9 is Endure....

Edit: How ironic that I was beaten by someone with a Yosuke avatar. :lol

MechaX

Yaweee said:
Any complaints about characters repeating things in P3/P4 will be dwarfed by Raidou 2.

"What's my name, Raidou?" (Occurs in three to five separate chapters)
- Tae
- Kichou

"Time to have a meeting, Raidou. We're going over all of this again!"
*Most of these events literally occurred 5 minutes ago*

Back to HK-47's concern, I guess the characters repeating themselves make a little sense, concerning while our playtime is minutes and hours while they're dealing with entire days and weeks. It still borderlines on Metal Gear levels of re-explanation though.

MechaX said:
"What's my name, Raidou?" (Occurs in three to five separate chapters)
- Tae
- Kichou

"Time to have a meeting, Raidou. We're going over all of this again!"
*Most of these events literally occurred 5 minutes ago*

Back to HK-47's concern, I guess the characters repeating themselves make a little sense, concerning while our playtime is minutes and hours while they're dealing with entire days and weeks. It still borderlines on Metal Gear levels of re-explanation though.

Naoto:
...which proves the real killer and that Mitsuo was merely a copycat as I surmised. Still, we're back to square one as to who the true murder is.

Kanji: Gray Fox.

Chie: Whuh?

Kanji: Senpai, the murderer is Gray Fox!

Yosuke: Wrong game, Yarn-boy.

firex

Error said:
Fuuka is better than Teddie and Rise. She can warp you out of the dungeon FOR FREE. No need to buy shitty items or have some shitty skill taking a skill slot.

Fuuka>Teddie and Rise.
nope. Fuuka sucks. Messi told me that Rise and Teddie are better!

Red Scarlet

firex said:
nope. Fuuka sucks. Messi told me that Rise and Teddie are better!

I don't get why her warping you out for free (not until like, November) is so awesome when you can just warp out for free anyway on most levels of the dungeons in P3 already.

?

ultron87

Well I got just got, I guess, middle of the road ending. That was just... bleh.

Looking at a guide (because I'm not skipping through all those cutscenes a bunch of times trying random conversation answers) it seems like it's a fairly arbitrary break between what I just got and the good ending.
I think I got the first four conversation choices right and then picked "Why he's scared" instead of "We're missing something". Both of which such seem like they'd be questions about digging deeper and trying to get to the truth, but whatever. At least Nanako didn't stay dead. I'm assuming that's what happens if you just chuck him right in the TV? Thus causing the saddest videogame ending ever.

I just beat
Rise's and Teddy's Shadows.
I've already put a crazy amount of time into the game considering I've only been playing for a little over a week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ultron87 said:
Well I got just got, I guess, middle of the road ending. That was just... bleh.

Looking at a guide (because I'm not skipping through all those cutscenes a bunch of times trying random conversation answers) it seems like it's a fairly arbitrary break between what I just got and the good ending.
I think I got the first four conversation choices right and then picked "Why he's scared" instead of "We're missing something". Both of which such seem like they'd be questions about digging deeper and trying to get to the truth, but whatever. At least Nanako didn't stay dead. I'm assuming that's what happens if you just chuck him right in the TV? Thus causing the saddest videogame ending ever.

I totally agree with you - I think the localization team could have done a little better with that dialog.

And yep, you're right.

Althoran

I finally joined the P4 party (had to finish Rogue Galaxy first). This game is different from most RPGs I played. It is a good different though, I'm not far yet
I just entered Yukiko's castle after getting Chie's Persona
but it is really good.

Any tips at this time, besides stocking up on Goho-M's?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I new peachifruit sketch is up.

butsir.png

ultron87

Althoran said:
I finally joined the P4 party (had to finish Rogue Galaxy first). This game is different from most RPGs I played. It is a good different though, I'm not far yet
but it is really good.

Buy TaP Sodas every week at the vending machine outside the item store in the shopping district. They are cheap ass SP recovery.

When Social Linking always try and have a Persona of that person's Arcana with you.

Althoran said:
but it is really good.

Make sure to keep tabs on how much SP you have. It can run out quickly in the first dungeon when you don't have any quick way to restore SP. Also make sure to keep track of the weaknesses of your Personae, and fuse often.

You should stock up on healing items when you have a chance (especially because you don't have any good healing Persona this early in the game), but making sure to stock up on Goho-M's takes priority on that, and money is a bit tight early on.

You should complete the dungeons sooner than later, that way your party becomes more readily available for S-Links. SP consumption is more of an issue in this game than most SMT titles so try to get Invigorate early adn start all your battles with that Persona equipped, even if it sucks you can just switch it out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you're not averse to guides, you want to try to get invigorate as soon as possible.

You can game the system to get a spell that gives you all your SP back after every turn, but I can't remember it off hand. I did it myself and posted about it a while ago.

Red Scarlet

Althoran said:
but it is really good.

Pay attention to the fusion forecast. It's worth the annoyance of checking 2 days at a time for the free abilities and stuff. It's also an ok 'reminder' of what the game suggests your level should at least be.

Tamanon

Banned
It's Victory Cry. The earliest you can get it is from a fusion of Kaiwan on a skill change day. Makarakarn gets changed and has a possibility of being Victory Cry. It's a big ol' pain in the ass.

Althoran

Wow thanks for all the advice.
I don't have a problem with using guides. I use them to discover if I miss out on some interesting stuff.

SP recovery is key as I already found out. Running out of SP caused me to GOHO out of the dungeon.

News Bot

Banned
It still borderlines on Metal Gear levels of re-explanation though.

The repetition was a deliberate design choice by Kojima, just in case the player happens to miss a certain line. Probably the same case with Persona, though done many more times.

Kinda needless, but whatever. =P I personally don't find it to be an annoyance.

sikkinixx

Ugh... I'm stuck in 2nd to last dungeon, after all the big story reveals... I have no willpower to figure out where the hell the boss is, I've been wandering around leveling up for 15 minutes at a time for almost a month now :( I had the "okay, this game should be wrapped up now" just before the dungeon and since I know there is another one, and I need to do more grinding... ugh!! Just like what happened in P3.

DR2K

Banned
sikkinixx said:
Ugh... I'm stuck in 2nd to last dungeon, after all the big story reveals... I have no willpower to figure out where the hell the boss is, I've been wandering around leveling up for 15 minutes at a time for almost a month now :( I had the "okay, this game should be wrapped up now" just before the dungeon and since I know there is another one, and I need to do more grinding... ugh!! Just like what happened in P3.

Jump in the hole or for back the the original 2nd floor and go to the place that was sealed off.

Conan-san

Daft Question but is there any point to Rise's Stats or they just there for show?

Also, has anyone got clean rips of the voice clips? Just asking.

Conan-san said:
Daft Question but is there any point to Rise's Stats or they just there for show?

Also, has anyone got clean rips of the voice clips? Just asking.

They're just for show. They probably didn't want to bother coding a Persona that didn't have stats or something like that.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Been replaying this with newgame+ and trying expert mode.

Having a blast surprisingly enough. Not having to worry about social stats=awesome. I'm pretty impressed with the VA in this game, some awkward lines here and there, but for the most part the VA is so good. You can totally tell they had fun with the script and were totally into their characters, specially Yuri Lowenthall with Yosuke.

Although the newgame+ takes out level restrictions for Compendium, I don't summon a persona that's higher level than mine. Expert mode doesn't seem that much different from Normal, the PC prices stay the same, only difference is that enemies hit harder.

Error said:
Been replaying this with newgame+ and trying expert mode.

Having a blast surprisingly enough. Not having to worry about social stats=awesome. I'm pretty impressed with the VA in this game, some awkward lines here and there, but for the most part the VA is so good. You can totally tell they had fun with the script and were totally into their characters, specially Yuri Lowenthall with Yosuke.

Although the newgame+ takes out level restrictions for Compendium, I don't summon a persona that's higher level than mine. Expert mode doesn't seem that much different from Normal, the PC prices stay the same, only difference is that enemies hit harder.

I've been doing a new game+ on Hard mode as well. It is a lot fun playing through a second time, especially without having to worry about grinding up my courage and expression so that people will talk to me. Here's hoping that I can max all Social Links by the end of the game (I got about half of them done on my first run).

However, I have taken some advantage of the ability to summon higher leveled Persona from the Compendum, such as pulling out a Null-Fire Persona before I fought against Shadow Yukiko.

I'm finding the game somewhat easier overall, but I think much of that comes down to my experience. I had no clue what I was doing early in my first playthrough, but now I'm pretty solid on fusion knowledge and battling skills. Plus, I'm actually controlling my party members this time (I left them on AI control all the way up to the True Ending last time).

Error

They should've make the cellphone play a bigger part in the game overall. It would've been a nice way to get in contact with the s.links characters without having to look around for them. Also, for fusion it could help you know what's the fusion forecast without having to go to the velvet room from time to time, I mean ffs Margaret can call you but you can't call her!?

Curufinwe

I got thru to October on my Expert playthru until I syopped to play DDS 1 and 2. The higher difficulty means collecting and fusing the right type of Personas is even more important, and that's what made me play the game for the third time.

Red Scarlet

Error said:
They should've make the cellphone play a bigger part in the game overall. It would've been a nice way to get in contact with the s.links characters without having to look around for them. Also, for fusion it could help you know what's the fusion forecast without having to go to the velvet room from time to time, I mean ffs Margaret can call you but you can't call her!?

Do you ever see Margaret's phone? Did you ever see Elizabeth's phone?

?!

Error said:

Seriously. I hope you can call friends in Persona 5. The biggest place that I felt this was with your non-party S.Link's over vacation. At least your party members still hang out around town, but your other school friends are just completely gone for all of summer vacation.

Error

KuwabaraTheMan said:
The biggest place that I felt this was with your non-party S.Link's over vacation. At least your party members still hang out around town, but your other school friends are just completely gone for all of summer vacation.
Yep, hated this. Heck even in P3 non-teammates s.links called you from time to time to hang out. It's very rare when that happens in P4, and by rare I mean one time in the whole game?

Maybe they wanted to drive the whole country side thing, and not a lot of people have cellphones... I guess.

Scarlet: You mean that Igor can afford a pimping limousine but not a cellphone for his assistant!?

I think Ai called me twice during summer break, which is more than every other friend from school combined.

Seriously, Kou and Daisuke are supposed to be my bros and I can't even see them all summer?

Red Scarlet

HK-47 said:
Terrible argument.

Like 95% of your posts? It wasn't even an argument. Stop trying to be mr smarmy all the time.

Error said:
Scarlet: You mean that Igor can afford a pimping limousine but not a cellphone for his assistant!?

I mean what if they don't even use a phone to communicate with you?!

Spruchy

Finally had some free time today to put into this, just got my fifth party member and leveled a shitload of S. Links. I'm digging all the kinks that have been ironed out from P3 but I feel like that game had a more "epic" story.

I dunno, either way I love em both.

Tamanon

Banned
Also, we're still not entirely sure Elizabeth is real or the limo exists anywhere but in the main character's mind.:lol

I guess one thing I hope they add in the next series is more use of the internet or even just email to communicate.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Red Scarlet said:
Like 95% of your posts? It wasn't even an argument. Stop trying to be mr smarmy all the time.

I'd stop if I was actually trying to be mr smarmy. I didnt say that out of smug self satisfaction. I thought you were using the old absence of evidence bit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tamanon said:
Also, we're still not entirely sure Elizabeth is real or the limo exists anywhere but in the main character's mind.:lol

I guess one thing I hope they add in the next series is more use of the internet or even just email to communicate.
The Velvet Room exists between between physical and mental reality. So I guess saying she just exists the character's mind is probably incorrect. Likely, she can move between both realms.

Though someone who has access to the VR could act like a conduit too.

Error said:

The state of the velvet room depends on the mind of its guest(s).

So it's more like the MC's Imaginary limo than Igor's limo.

Though that brings up a question. If you press redial after Liz or Marge "call" you, what happens?

And yes Liz exists.
If you choose fight Margaret, she'll mention that Elizabeth left the Velvet Room to help the P3 protagonist.

NichM

Banned
Tamanon said:
Also, we're still not entirely sure Elizabeth is real or the limo exists anywhere but in the main character's mind.

Well, there is the whole thing about her leaving the Velvet Room to go on dates with you in P3 FES. Other people even see her and react to her there.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fimbulvetr said:
If you choose fight Margaret, she'll mention that Elizabeth left the Velvet Room to help the P3 protagonist.

Do you think we will actually get a follow up on that, or will it end up like the Battle of '99 in Castlevania?

HK-47 said:
Do you think we will actually get a follow up on that, or will it end up like the Battle of '99 in Castlevania?

They better do it, and have some of the earlier characters(preferably from all four games) return.

I'll only be satisfied once my party can consist of Katsuya, Aigis, Nate, and Teddie at the same time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fimbulvetr said:
And yes Liz exists.

Actually, I think it's mentioned during the S-link rank up events. I remember wondering what the heck happened in P3 way before the end.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, it looks like tomorrow might be the ending fork for the Endurance run, unless they spend an entire episode just on the finals.:lol

On a slightly related note, I remember the first time I played through that segment of the game. I ranked up a couple of S.Links, went through the finals, decided not to save on the 2nd (why bother, I don't plan on stopping anytime soon)...and then I messed up a dialogue choice and got the bad ending.

When I realized what happened, I just sat there dumbfounded.

Top Bottom