• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Gorgon said:
Is that also the case with FES? I'm playing through P4 right now but I have FES waiting as soon as I finish.

The Answer? Nah. It's more of a SMT main series pacing of delicious long dungeon (with fast leveling!), and a short illuminating cutscene.

Never got around to playing The Journey, sadly. I do know they distributed the Slinks better, but that's not plot-influenced if any, not plot-influencing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ultron87 said:
So I'm now into the True Ending dungeon. And (march spoilers, I guess)
Really? The Gas Station Attendant is the big bad? I didn't mind the Giant Eyeball of the Collective Unconciousness, and probably would've been okay with leaving it there had that explained the few loose ends that I assume will be wrapped up at the the end of this dungeon. I do like that they all apparently never thought to talk about why the MC, Adachi, and Namatame could go into the TV right away for the entire three months that had passed.

Also, was I just seeing things or was Adachi's Persona a shadowy Izanagi?

My understanding is that the true ending is hinted at during the school trip to the Persona 3 school. Although, I suppose the very first dream/tutorial thing does that as well.

Yaweee

Gorgon said:
Is that also the case with FES? I'm playing through P4 right now but I have FES waiting as soon as I finish.

The two games actually have a bit different pacing. P4 has more days between deadlines, but date-scripted story events essentially stop during the time frame that a new dungeon is available. It picks up in speed near the end.

FES (The Journey, i.e. "Main Game")has fewer days between deadlines for the bulk of the game, but it slows down considerably near the end, with the 30% of the game leading up to the end having no story boss fights. Like Satellite said, FES did a much better job of redistributing S. Links and adding more nighttime material than the original release had.

The Answer is just a long dungeon with a few good scenes at the beginning, at the end, and worthless story in the middle.

Curufinwe

firehawk12 said:
My understanding is that the true ending is hinted at during the school trip to the Persona 3 school. Although, I suppose the very first dream/tutorial thing does that as well.

There's also the fact that
that the Gas Station guy only appears on rainy days.

darkwings

Banned
my only gripe with Persona 4 is that you easily can create an ultimate blocker persona which means you will never take damage from an enemy again. It is fun getting ultimate stuff for the game, but at the same time very cheap that it loses all challenge from the game.

darkwings said:
my only gripe with Persona 4 is that you easily can create an ultimate blocker persona which means you will never take damage from an enemy again. It is fun getting ultimate stuff for the game, but at the same time very cheap that it loses all challenge from the game.

"The same can be said of all religions RPGs."

-Dracula before getting owned by 'Hydro Storm' spam.

The thing is though, to do that you'd have to wait until you can fuse Personas in the high 60s/low 70s. And even then you'd have to reset your fusion for a long time before getting anything like Super Izanagi or Insta-Death Alice.

darkwings

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
"The same can be said of all religions RPGs."

I dont think I ever played another rpg where you can render yourself totally invincible from any enemy and boss.

Still loving the game though, one of my favorites ever.

darkwings

Banned
Tamanon said:
Tell Red Scarlet how "easy" creating an ultimate blocker persona is.:lol

And then watch as you're crushed by Eyes to Yomi.

It might be a bit tricky, but I got a metatrone here with repel/null abilities for every element. Beezelbub and Helel are also doable.

Maybe easy was the wrong word, but it is not that hard.

darkwings said:
I dont think I ever played another rpg where you can render yourself totally invincible from any enemy and boss.

Still loving the game though, one of my favorites ever.

"HYDRO STORM, HYDRO STORM, HYDRO STORM!!!"

Gorgon

Yaweee said:
The two games actually have a bit different pacing. P4 has more days between deadlines, but date-scripted story events essentially stop during the time frame that a new dungeon is available. It picks up in speed near the end.

FES (The Journey, i.e. "Main Game")has fewer days between deadlines for the bulk of the game, but it slows down considerably near the end, with the 30% of the game leading up to the end having no story boss fights. Like Satellite said, FES did a much better job of redistributing S. Links and adding more nighttime material than the original release had.

The Answer is just a long dungeon with a few good scenes at the beginning, at the end, and worthless story in the middle.

Ah ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if the "slow down" was also present with the FES version or if they had added/changed some stuff so that the game was more balanced in terms of pacing.

ultron87

I now know just how much I liked this game. I actually miss having anything new to play in it. I haven't felt that in awhile. This officially surpasses Xenosaga Ep. 3 as my favorite PS2 RPG and is definitely up there on my favorite games ever list.

I should probably wait a bit before starting a new game and going for Max Social Links.

Also, the boss music for
Izanami phase 2
is amazing. Especially when it transitions to the awesome triumphant variation of the battle theme. I wish that was on the soundtrack that came with the game. I'll have to track that song down on the internet at some point here.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
This thread makes me so happy. I beat Persona 4 within a week of its release (Uni was on strike, had nothing to do, and was obsessed with P3FES). I haven't played it since. I love reading people's impressions of the game.

Chorazin

Ugh,
Izanami
is such a pain in the ass. I don't have enough SP regaining items to not run dry during the fight, so I keep losing. I guess I need to grind for a few hours but after playing 83 hours so far that just does NOT appeal to me. :(

ultron87

How far are you getting into the fight before you run dry?

Don't forget that you might have accessories that either decrease SP consumption or recover a bit of SP every turn.

And don't neglect physical attacks, they can do a lot of damage and don't take any SP, just health. Of course the spending of health can get dangerous depending on your level. It wasn't a problem for me because I had 4 Somas, so I could cast Salvation every turn and not worry about running out, but it sounds like that isn't an option for you. My stupid intense dislike of using items in RPGs finally paid off!

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Chorazin said:
Ugh,
Izanami
is such a pain in the ass. I don't have enough SP regaining items to not run dry during the fight, so I keep losing. I guess I need to grind for a few hours but after playing 83 hours so far that just does NOT appeal to me. :(

Suck it up, grind a few levels, and keep trying. :p

I had to grind for 15 hours to beat the last (True Demon ending) boss of Nocturne. 2 hours isn't going to kill you!

Chorazin

ultron87 said:
How far are you getting into the fight before you run dry?

Don't forget that you might have accessories that either decrease SP consumption or recover a bit of SP every turn.

And don't neglect physical attacks, they can do a lot of damage and don't take any SP, just health. Of course the spending of health can get dangerous depending on your level. It wasn't a problem for me because I had 4 Somas, so I could cast Salvation every turn and not worry about running out, but it sounds like that isn't an option for you. My stupid intense dislike of using items in RPGs finally paid off!

I only ever found one Soma during the course of the game, and I used it during the last major boss fight. :( All my guys are high-70s, and I run about 3/4's through the fight with Form 2. I'm so pissed at the game I doubt I'll ever finish it now. I fucking HATE how stingy Persona games are with SP regain items.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Chorazin said:
I only ever got one Soma during the course of the game, and I used it during the last major boss fight. :( All my guys are high-70s, and I run about 3/4's through the fight with Form 2. I'm so pissed at the game I doubt I'll ever finish it now. I fucking HATE how stingy Persona games are with SP regain items.

Seriously? 3/4ths of 2nd? And you're giving up? Wow.

Chorazin said:
I only ever found one Soma during the course of the game, and I used it during the last major boss fight. :( All my guys are high-70s, and I run about 3/4's through the fight with Form 2. I'm so pissed at the game I doubt I'll ever finish it now. I fucking HATE how stingy Persona games are with SP regain items.

Did you get the bonus item for clearing Heaven a second time? Because that is a godsend for conserving your SP.

I never had any trouble with running out of SP during that fight. Make sure you're not being too wasteful with it.

firex

Chorazin said:
You should do some fusing so you have Spell Master. And also you probably want to use Chie because she won't have to use her SP on anything but Power Charge and Matarukaja (maybe not even the second one), and the rest is just HP on God's Hand.

You can also conserve your party's SP a bit by spreading the healing out between the hero and Yukiko or Yukiko and Teddie, like I did.

Just got the true ending. Pretty great game. I felt over powered going through the last dungeon; I ended up at level 84 by the end with some powerful persona, but the final boss still gave me a run for my money. I had to fight the boss twice because I decided not to guard after it mind charged.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Did you get the bonus item for clearing Heaven a second time? Because that is a godsend for conserving your SP.

I never had any trouble with running out of SP during that fight. Make sure you're not being too wasteful with it.

I know this conversation is from days ago but I actually found another one of those items in the final dungeon so be sure to check all the chests there as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kagari said:
I made it mostly through
Nanako's dungeon
... about how much more until the end of the game?

Two more dungeons if you're in for the best ending

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
D: How do I get the social link for
Naoto
. I finally got my courage maxed but they still won't speak with me.

Tamanon

Banned
Kagari said:
D: How do I get the social link for
Naoto
. I finally got my courage maxed but they still won't speak with me.

Gotta talk to the suspicious man in Northern Shopping District with max knowledge. he'll give you a card, talk to Naoto and poof

Red Scarlet

You need Knowledge maxed too.

YES
p4141squallsara2.png

QUADRUPLE² YES
now I can REMOVE THEM FROM MY PARTY AND NOT GET THEM KILLED EVERY BATTLE
soloexpertyukiko.gif

I wonder if ER is going to end at 150. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I found it kind of unfortunate that they didn't bother doing any of the S-links before the end... did they even finish Kanji? I can't remember.

Hopefully they read spoilers about the "True Ending", so they end up going that way... but it looks like it might be over now.

Tamanon

Banned
I think I've played the game too much. I'm just hitting October on another clean replay(Not New Game+) and I'm pretty sure I'll have all S Links maxed by the end of November. I can't believe I never found the joys of using Succubus for Spirit Drain and Invigorate 3. Lets me just cruise.

And I'm positive the Endurance Run isn't going to end tomorrow. I sense a True Ending.

Those crazy endurance running bastards are going for the true ending. Jeff's a crafty one. Vinny seems innocent but Jeff's definitely guiding Vinny to where they need to go.

Edgeward

And they've mentioned the true ending in past episodes, so I'm hoping Jeff got spoiled on it's secret when reading the comments. Even though I knew of the method, I still accidently got the good ending anyway. =(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Edgeward said:
And they've mentioned the true ending in past episodes, so I'm hoping Jeff got spoiled on it's secret when reading the comments. Even though I knew of the method, I still accidently got the good ending anyway. =(

Jeff confirmed he got spoiled. I was not pleased.

Tamanon

Banned
Actually, they brought up a good point in Ep 150.
Why the fuck was Igor talking to you if you didn't have the power of personas yet?

Domstercool

You don't have to be able to "summon" Personas to see Igor. As long as you have the ability in you to do it then it doesn't matter.

Some characters in 3 could see the Dark Hour and not summon Personas, but then later on they unlocked that ability.

Dunno how that would reflect in 4 though since the TV was seen by everyone, so that can't be the link to who can summon a Persona.

Domstercool said:
You don't have to be able to "summon" Personas to see Igor. As long as you have the ability in you to do it then it doesn't matter.

Some characters in 3 could see the Dark Hour and not summon Personas, but then later on they unlocked that ability.

Dunno how that would reflect in 4 though since the TV was seen by everyone, so that can't be the link to who can summon a Persona.
They were able to summon personas after defeating
their evil selves
inside the tv... It seems everyone but the protagonist had to go through this... But I think it's because the protagonist was mostly good... Or something...

They could all see inside the tvs because the tv was just another dimension... But overcoming the obstacle in the tv is what gave them the ability to summon personas and survive in the tv

Domstercool

Ah, so technically in Persona 4, everyone could gain a Persona if they defeated "it"

*Tries to crawl into his TV* Although doing that right now would mean sending me flying into a DiRT 2 track, heh.

Domstercool said:
Ah, so technically in Persona 4, everyone could gain a Persona if they defeated "it"

*Tries to crawl into his TV* Although doing that right now would mean sending me flying into a DiRT 2 track, heh.

It's a catch 22. You need your persona to defeat your shadow but you need to defeat your shadow to get your persona.

...Or you could have someone else defeat your shadow for you or you could just accept your shadow right off the bat and avoid fighting all together, I guess.

Curufinwe

HK-47 said:
Jeff confirmed he got spoiled. I was not pleased.

I thought he only confirmed that he had the importance of the
gas station attendant
spoiled when a bunch of morons sent him the link to that awesome P4 comic strip.

Top Bottom