• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Frawdder

Nooooo! The endurance is over. 99h 59m was hilarious.

The endurance run turned me into a Persona fan. Starting watching at about episode 3 or 4, got hooked and decided I needed to play this game for myself. Now it's one of my favourite games and has me interested in Persona 5 and other SMT games.

Thanks Giant Bomb! :D

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just finished watching it. God damn, epic ride from start to finish. Putting a great under appreciated title on the main site in such a huge feature, excellent work GB. The ending
with everyone running after you on the train always gets to me, i get teary eyed no matter how many times I watch it, on youtube or anywhere
. Oh man, i feel like popping the first episode back on again. Great times.

Although it IS a bummer they never got to S rank 10 with Kanji, that would have been an awesome scene

Next endurance run should definitely be an RPG as well, Tales of Vesperia anyone ? Another similarly under appreciated title imo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's... over. It's sad, and I'm sure they won't be doing this any time soon, but it was a fun ride. It also got my to visit Giantbomb every day, which is more than I can say about any other gaming website.

A stupid question: does it net you a Game Over if the final boss does what he did at the end of Episode 154 and at you don't have a maxed out S-Link with at least one of your active party members? Pulling this might be a bit dickish but it seems kinda appropriate for this point of the game.

Also, I agree with Jeff and Vinny how out of place the character designs in the final cutscene looked, that's what you get when you have to work with multiple animation studios to meet the deadline, I guess. It's a bit of a shame that this was especially noticeable in the final cutscene.

I was also thrown off a bit by the fact that Charlie didn't even wave which made him come across as a bit of a dick in my mind. :lol Maybe Atlus should have focussed on him less in the cutscene to keep up the neutrality of the MC which they were going for during the entire game.

Maxirugi

magicalsoundshower said:
A stupid question: does it net you a Game Over if the final boss does what he did at the end of Episode 154 and at you don't have a maxed out S-Link with at least one of your active party members? Pulling this might be a bit dickish but it seems kinda appropriate for this point of the game.

If you mean the other characters shoving you out of the way, then isn't that a rank 1 ability? (rank 1 is "take a mortal blow for MC", rank 9 or 10 is "ENDURE a mortal blow" iirc)

If you mean the max s-link friends encouraging you to get back up after you're taken down, then at least Teddie will be there as his rank levels to max as the story progresses

Uncle AJ

magicalsoundshower said:

Party members will take mortal blows for you at S.Link rank one, so it'd be quite a feat to make it that far in the game without having at least established those links. The only ones that you could conceivably do this with are Kanji and Naoto.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^
Yeah, I made the same mistake earlier in the thread. :lol

magicalsoundshower said:
I was also thrown off a bit by the fact that Charlie didn't even wave which made him come across as a bit of a dick in my mind. :lol

Hmm. Huh. HMMM. HUUUH.

I think that's more than Gordon Freeman ever did anyway...

firehawk12 said:
Hmm. Huh. HMMM. HUUUH.

I think that's more than Gordon Freeman ever did anyway...

The smile makes it seem almost sadistic.

Oh and just to depress people:
It's implied that he never meets anyone he met in Inaba ever again. :eek:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fimbulvetr said:
The smile makes it seem almost sadistic.

but what about the vacations and whatnot :(

Minamu

I never followed their endurance run, mainly because I had just finished the game myself & already knew everything about it (and had started a ng+) but it's still sad to see it end. I'd like to watch it from start to finish now but then I'd probably never ever finish my ng+ :( What to do >_<

Mo the Hawk said:
Party members will take mortal blows for you at S.Link rank one, so it'd be quite a feat to make it that far in the game without having at least established those links. The only ones that you could conceivably do this with are Kanji and Naoto.
Oops, I get it now, thanks! Looks like I didn't pay that much attention during the first couple episodes.

By the way, "Charlie" seemed pretty vocal during battles as well, didn't he? A couple memorable quotes: "Zuh!", "AAARGHHH!" "PER-SONA!"

magicalsoundshower said:
Oops, I get it now, thanks! Looks like I didn't pay that much attention during the first couple episodes.

By the way, "Charlie" seemed pretty vocal during battles as well, didn't he? A couple memorable quotes: Zuh!, AAARGHHH! PER-SONA!

Actually he has the most in battle lines.

Ironically
Adachi doesn't shut up when you find out he's the murderer

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fimbulvetr said:
Actually he has the most in battle lines.

Ironically
Adachi doesn't shut up when you find out he's the murderer

Just because he says the name of every other persona in the game?

Also,
BITCHES!!!!

Fimbulvetr said:
Man, what a cold hearted fuck. Why you gotta play that way, C-dawg?

Maybe it's because he's secretly a creepy raper guy?

firehawk12 said:
I suppose you could see it in Teddie's ending narration?
I dunno, that struck me as him saying, in the face of all doubt, "of course we'll see him again! We're all essentially blood brothers and sisters now; didn't you notice that whole 'forging an unbreakable bond' thing?" But I'll fully admit that that's just what I want to believe, cuz otherwise Charlie's just an asshole. :(

Fimbulvetr said:
It's because of the story
that P3 teacher gives on the field trip. The one where Izanagi has to leave Izanami and accept their parting.
Oh. I thought
Edogawa's story was more foreshadowing the true ending than that, but I guess I can see where you're coming from.

firehawk12 said:
Holy crap. :lol

And yeah, I interpreted that as foreshadowing as well.
And anyway, remember that Charlie is a bit of a man-slut, so is it really any surprise? :lol

Someone needs to post that comic where his facial expression never changes. :lol

So, a question regarding the optional boss in the New Game+

I encountered the treasure chest and didn't fight it, as I figure I'm way underleveled. Will it always stay in the same location, or will it keep popping up in other places?

Also, about when should I be alright for doing that fight?

KuwabaraTheMan said:
So, a question regarding the optional boss in the New Game+

I encountered the treasure chest and didn't fight it, as I figure I'm way underleveled. Will it always stay in the same location, or will it keep popping up in other places?

Also, about when should I be alright for doing that fight?

And no it doesn't stay in one place, "randomly generating" dungeon.

Some people can tackle it at lvl 30, most wait till they're at one of the ending arcs(suggested).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fimbulvetr said:
And no it doesn't stay in one place, "randomly generating" dungeon.

Some people can tackle it at lvl 30, most wait till they're at one of the ending arcs(suggested).

Yeah, it's fairly cheap... you don't want to lose the progress of going up the dungeon, but unless you're anal and save after every floor, you'll be stuck wondering if you should fight the boss or not... and it's a fairly difficult battle early one as well.

Tamanon

Banned
So I wrapped up another playthrough yesterday, got the true ending on a fresh playthrough and maxed all but 2 S-links. Ended up with 91% of the compendium too, rather nice.

But one thing that really hit me playing through again, besides the early December fork, Yosuke is waaaaaaay more the party leader than the main character is. He's always pumping the team up or leading them somewhere, while you just look resolute and grunt.:lol

Tamanon said:
Yosuke is waaaaaaay more the party leader than the main character is. He's always pumping the team up or leading them somewhere, while you just look resolute and grunt.:lol

The leader's job is to lead, not provide pep talks.

Yosuke is impassioned, but lacks the objective thought (and power in this case power) to actually be a truly affective leader.

Second in command suits him though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I figured I'd ask here since I think more people are reading the P4 thread. :lol

Does anyone have a New Game+ save for Persona 3 FES? The one on GameFAQs seems to be borked (level and yen didn't seem to carry over?) and I kind of just want to breeze through the game for the story. Going back to it again after 4 just reminded me of all the little annoyances and I'd rather not get mad at the game (or wait for P3P).

It's either that or watch the anime I suppose. :p

Tamanon

Banned
The anime happens years after the game and only has one character in it from the game. I've actually found the game to be just about as long on New Game + personally. It only shaves a few hours off the game . I just always play it with my save from the original P3 so I can start with full stats.

viewtiful_dru said:
I'd rather hear SEN-PAIII 3000 times than hear Nero yell out the name of every persona.

just sayin

Nero's voice is awesome, SHUT UP!

"ARAHABAKI!"

I'd rather hear Nero say "Bitches!" than either though. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
I liked Bosch's voice for the game personally, but I've never had a problem with him in general, his Lelouch was great, and his Ichigo is good.

Tamanon said:
The anime happens years after the game and only has one character in it from the game.
Plus Akihiko (who's said only character from the game) doesn't show up until later in the anime. I've heard middling things about it (most people saying it sucks, and a friend of a friend who watched all of them saying it was okay), and the fact that they add in the incredibly stupid fact of "you lose the ability to have a Persona when you become an adult" that doesn't make any sense does not make me inclined to see it for myself.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I AM JOHN! said:
Plus Akihiko (who's said only character from the game) doesn't show up until later in the anime. I've heard middling things about it (most people saying it sucks, and a friend of a friend who watched all of them saying it was okay), and the fact that they add in the incredibly stupid fact of "you lose the ability to have a Persona when you become an adult" that doesn't make any sense does not make me inclined to see it for myself.

:lol :lol :lol

Holy shit thats the stupidest thing I've heard all week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamanon said:
The anime happens years after the game and only has one character in it from the game. I've actually found the game to be just about as long on New Game + personally. It only shaves a few hours off the game . I just always play it with my save from the original P3 so I can start with full stats.

I heard money wasn't a problem, but having a high level character should be able to breeze you through the dungeons? I also read there's some kind of Lucifer combo fusion spell that makes every battle one turn affairs?

Dave1988 said:
Aren't P3 and 4 supposed to be a separate universe from P1 and 2?
Same universe.

Fimbulvetr said:
P3 and P4 take place in the Eternal Punishment universe of Persona 2(the events of P1 happened in both universes).
Oh right, I forgot that Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are parallel universe whatevers. Oh well; I'm still surprised I know this much considering I didn't even know the series existed until P3!

Speaking of which, what the hell is with the post office and them not bringing me my copy of Persona that I know they have? >:|

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I still need to beat this game. I think the last thing I had to do was level Helel up the way I wanted to. Without spoiling too much
is the ending sequence to the True End identical to the normal ending?

My friends thought I was full of shit when I said I might be able to actually max all of the s-links on my first playthrough. I did it and completed the compendium as well :D

Now my first Persona 3 playthrough is terrible, I did so bad with the S-links because of trying to power level my characters attributes at the beginning and having to deal with jealous girlfriends.

Top Bottom