• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why is Sarasvati so good? I've never really used her in Persona 4. (She was really useful in Nocturne and Devil Survivor in the early game)

Red Scarlet

HK-47 said:
Why is Sarasvati so good? I've never really used her in Persona 4. (She was really useful in Nocturne and Devil Survivor in the early game)

For me, it's because I lucked out and made her a 4-elemental main on the 2nd day of dungeoning the first time, and she is naturally null to ice, learns null wind (so no weaknesses), and gets invigorate 2. I started putting resist physical on her on a replay as well. So she makes dungeoning pretty smooth.

Pretty useful for a giant chunk of the game (upgrade Garu and Tarunda):
p4141squallsara2.png

Tamanon

Banned
Ya know, one thing I really missed from 3 to 4 was skill changes on leveling up. I liked having a little chance at just completely shifting the use of a persona.

Tamanon said:
Ya know, one thing I really missed from 3 to 4 was skill changes on leveling up. I liked having a little chance at just completely shifting the use of a persona.

Or having Jack Frost lose the ability to use Bufula and learn a completely useless move instead. :I

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fimbulvetr said:
Or having Jack Frost lose the ability to use Bufula and learn a completely useless move instead. :I

Its easier in Nocturne since you can just stick around a save point.

Yaweee

I've always hated the random skill fusions. Were they removed in P4,Raidou2, and Devil Survivor?

I also like how Raidou 2 handled special fusions.

Tamanon

Banned
The Random skills in P4 were restricted to certain fusion forecast days and you basically knew which skill would change, and thus knew the possibilities it could change to.

The only *REAL* annoying change is if you're a fool and use the Devil tarot card to flat-out change one of your Personas. They say it's to a higher rank but it's to one at minimum level and with no additional spells.:lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watching the Endurance Run episodes that I skipped (I jumped in at about 90) and it's hilarious how much they hate everyone except Chie. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have bothered with Yukiko or Yosuke if it weren't for all the in game advantages. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, they really like Kanji and Teddie both. Jeff's already said he was a bit miffed they never maxed him out.

Yukiko though....I'm not sure anyone really likes her, she doesn't really have any personality quirks outside the weird laughing fits. Even Rise is a much better character.

They always threatened to boot Yosuke from the party but never went through with it. The few episodes they used Kanji in battle were pretty great. He was a little under leveled but he made up for it with his enthusiasm. I thought the fact that he used a folding chair as his weapon, would have locked him a spot on Investigation Team A.

Tamanon said:
Eh, they really like Kanji and Teddie both. Jeff's already said he was a bit miffed they never maxed him out.

Yukiko though....I'm not sure anyone really likes her, she doesn't really have any personality quirks outside the weird laughing fits. Even Rise is a much better character.

Yukiko's maturing is subtle. This goes over alot of people's heads (note how she talks to the MC starting with the Commu starting convo).

kiryogi

Banned
Tamanon said:

I love her! In fact she was the girl I decided to date. There are fans out there! I find her really cute personally. But as the previous post said, she's a bit more subtle.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Yukiko's maturing is subtle. This goes over alot of people's heads (note how she talks to the MC starting with the Commu starting convo).

This.

Plus Rise learned the same lesson twice. :/

Naoto, despite not having as much time for character development as everyone else, was my favorite though.

Tamanon

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
They always threatened to boot Yosuke from the party but never went through with it. The few episodes they used Kanji in battle were pretty great. He was a little under leveled but he made up for it with his enthusiasm. I thought the fact that he used a folding chair as his weapon, would have locked him a spot on Investigation Team A.

"Really happy to be here, senpai!"
"Yea woo! You leveled up! Woo! I did too! YAAHAHAHAHAH!"

I love their Kanji impersonations, he was such a great character.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The way they hate Yumi makes me sad for her though. "Oh god, DRAMA girl". :lol
I almost wonder how they would have reacted to that music girl who basically fills that weird "young looking girl" archetype that happens in every other anime series. They'd probably ignore for her completely different reasons.

Then again, I guess when you think about it, all the characters can be fairly annoying - especially when they're wrapped within their own neurosis.

Tamanon said:

Yukiko and Rise are among my favorite characters, actually. I think both of them have a lot of depth to them. They also have pretty strong character arcs throughout their social links, too.

Yukiko's story actually follows a pretty logical path, I think, and she shows a lot of growth throughout the game. Rise's social link might repeat some aspects of her initial story, but it also has a lot of unpredictable moments, and I think Rise demonstrates that she's a lot smarter and more complex than some people give her credit for.

Yukiko is so milquetoast a character. I think her social link is charming and handled well, even if it is mostly just Fuuka's SL from P3 done better (but then again, what character DON'T I think is handled well in this game?), but there's just absolutely nothing all that special about her as a person outside of being the token innocent, pure love interest the game wants you to gravitate towards (though thankfully they downplayed that in P4, unlike Yukari in P3). I like her enough, but she's definitely one of the least interesting characters in the game.

And while we're on the subject, screw those guys for ditching sports. I wanted to see how Kou's story ended. :(

I wanted to punch Yukiko in the face as soon as I got her social link because I knew, I JUST KNEW how it would end and god damnit bitch you wasted my time.

I AM JOHN! said:
Yukiko is so milquetoast a character. I think her social link is charming and handled well, even if it is mostly just Fuuka's SL from P3 done better (but then again, what character DON'T I think is handled well in this game?), but there's just absolutely nothing all that special about her as a person outside of being the token innocent, pure love interest the game wants you to gravitate towards (though thankfully they downplayed that in P4, unlike Yukari in P3). I like her enough, but she's definitely one of the least interesting characters in the game.

Eh, I save that honor for Chie. Chie was just the overall least interesting member of the party, especially because she didn't really have any actual story in her social link.

Yukiko might not be the most groundbreaking character (certainly Kanji takes that category), but I think there's a relatable element to her, and she's handled well overall. I also found the romantic path to be most believable with Yukiko, but that might just be me.

And while we're on the subject, screw those guys for ditching sports. I wanted to see how Kou's story ended. :(

Kou's story was one of the better social links in the game, so that was pretty disappointing. Although more disappointing was them abandoning Ai (the best non-family Social Link in the game) after just one level.

Felix Lighter said:
I hope Altus does something to fix this in Persona 5. I think it hurts the "character development" in a way because if you only use 3 of the characters and can totally ignore the others, it doesn't feel like you're a group as you progress through dungeons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kou's story is definitely interesting in the context of Japanese filial relationships anyway. But, like Drama girl, I can see why they ditched them as soon as they could. I've always wondered what Daisuke's story is about... I'll probably youtube it at some point.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Eh, I save that honor for Chie. Chie was just the overall least interesting member of the party, especially because she didn't really have any actual story in her social link.
YOU ARE A BAD PERSON.

When I start my playthrough in December, I'm making sure I do Daisuke and Yumi's SLs, since I wanna see what the former's all about and how the latter ends. Also Margaret since I'm curious as to how they're going to handle her after seeing all the crazy and absolutely awesome Elizabeth stuff in P3. :D

Felix Lighter said:
Chie's S-Link might not have been all that interesting but I thought she had the most appealing personality.

Well, I'm not knocking her personality, just saying that her social link was the dullest one in the game. There wasn't any drama, and all of the scenes just kind of wound up feeling uninteresting.

I wouldn't put Chie as one of my favorites, but that's more a testament to the strong cast that a character like Chie ie kind of the 'forgotten one' (at least for me).

Kanji is the best [realistic] character I've ever encountered in a JRPG. He's awesome and my favorite character in P4 :D But I think I'm just biased :p

He never left my party :D

Tamanon

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Kou's story is definitely interesting in the context of Japanese filial relationships anyway. But, like Drama girl, I can see why they ditched them as soon as they could. I've always wondered what Daisuke's story is about... I'll probably youtube it at some point.

Daisuke's is pretty bland.

He pines for an old girlfriend and eventually gets over her, that's it

Dresden

Kanji had one of the best S.Links in the game, and he's a badass character too. A much better physical attacker than Chie, until the very end when she gets Power Charge+God Hand--and even then, that's with the best of gear.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamanon said:

Geez... bland is an understatement. Then again, my understanding is that the two Sun links are pretty much the same way -with Yumi being full of drama and the other girl being relatively benign with her angst.

Speaking of Chie, I guess the funny thing is that because of Endurance Run, I now permanently associate steaks with her. Although I probably don't have the problem that Jeff mentioned in the last podcast. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Kanji had one of the best S.Links in the game, and he's a badass character too. A much better physical attacker than Chie, until the very end when she gets Power Charge+God Hand--and even then, that's with the best of gear.

That's the problem with the game. Because you can only level the people you play with, you basically have to choose to leave people behind. I was a nerd in my playthrough and grinded all my guys to level 80ish, but I can see how normal people would just stick with the "A" team.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I AM JOHN! said:
Which one? Putting ketchup on steaks? Because that's a good problem not to have. :p

Getting weird feelings when encountering real world women who like steaks.

"Was it really just a picture of Chie?" :lol

Tamanon said:

Yeah, Kou's link is way better.

I will give Daisuke's path credit for one thing, though. The characters, on occasion, actually remember that they're on a sports team.:lol

KuwabaraTheMan said:

I will give Daisuke's path credit for one thing, though. The characters, on occasion, actually remember that they're on a sports team.:lol
Argh! Hearing this makes me want to do Kou's instead, but basketball is for suckers and soccer is for cool people! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! :'(

Tamanon

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:

You try playing basketball consistently with four players!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, that's too bad. Here's hoping it won't effect things like P3P and any other future Persona titles.

That said, I'd probably sit through Persona 5 on PS3 with 200 page guide telling me what was going on if it came to that.

Curufinwe

A comment in that thread says NPD has Persona 4 at 123,000 as of January 2009 in the US only, which is a pretty big discrepancy.

Darkman M

Almost 500k for a PS2 jrpg not named final fantasy not too bad? I hope it was enough for them to come out over the top such a great game.

Yaweee

chandoog said:
So apparently Persona 4 sold better than expected in Japan, but poorer than expected in the US.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/10/06/well-how-many-copies-did-persona-4-and-devil-survivor-sell/

Wow at the Persona PSP numbers. P3P must have started well before Persona was released, but I think those sales pretty much ensure a P2 release is in the works.

Nice for Devil Survivor. Once people saw that it was an SRPG, and that is was directed by the Growlanser guy, I don't think anybody expected it to be nearly as good as it turned out.

chandoog said:
North America
Persona 4 (PS2) – 110,000 (150,000 expected)
I know I probably shouldn't be, but I'm really surprised by this. Thought it did at least 200k in the States. Bummer. :(

Curufinwe said:
A comment in that thread says NPD has Persona 4 at 123,000 as of January 2009 in the US only, which is a pretty big discrepancy.
THE PLOT THICKENS!!!

alanias

Maybe the sales number have something to do with it being on PS2? Not sure how many people were interested in grabbing a PS2 game in the midst of the '08 holiday rush. Hopefully with a newer portable/home system and maybe an off season release this series will meet expectations.

Still, those kind of numbers for a non-square JRPG are pretty impressive all things considered.

Top Bottom