• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Blueblur1

I just started playing this and I'm a little thrown off by it being somewhat different from P3 in a few small ways. Anyway, I have a question.
The first exams are coming up (the current date is 5/1) and I want to get a high score on it. Unlike the many P3 guides I checked when I played through P3, none of the P4 guides even mention how you can do well on the exams. Aside from answering everything correctly on the exam days, what else is required? Knowledge level 2? Level 3?

And by the way, I've been using the official guide for my play through thus far. Aside from the many spelling mistakes and some incorrect Fusion suggestions in the walkthrough, is there anything else I should watch out for? (Before anyone asks, I enjoy using guides as opposed to playing on my own and missing out on content.) I also just found a guide at IGN that seems pretty solid even though at a glance it doesn't seem to be very different from the official guide.

IGN Persona 4 guide link

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dresden

It's a combination of your Knowledge rank and the number of questions you get right. It's been a while, but it's like Knowledge rank 3+all correct answers to ace the first exam, and Knowledge rank 4+all correct answers for the next, and higher, something like that. I aced all the exams but the first on my first playthrough, and that was with almost every social link maxed out near the end.

This guide has all the answers, I believe. It pretty much walks you through day-by-day.

Tamanon

Banned
Gotta get the questions right and you need a high knowledge stat for the final question. I'm pretty sure it's impossible unless you completely ignore social links and hang out in the library a lot on the first playthrough to ace the first test. i'm pretty sure it requires knowledge rank 4 to pass the first, but then it's 4, 5, and 5 for the next three exams, much easier to do.

Why would you go through your first playthrough with a guide? I could understand the second playthrough for completionist and perfectionist sake, but why the first? Strikes me as something that would just diminish your ability to really take in the experience of the game and enjoy it.

Admittedly I used a FAQ to cheat on some of the exam questions in P3 (mostly the Japanese history ones), but I regret doing so.

Blueblur1

Dresden said:
It's a combination of your Knowledge rank and the number of questions you get right. It's been a while, but it's like Knowledge rank 3+all correct answers to ace the first exam, and Knowledge rank 4+all correct answers for the rest.

This guide has all the answers, I believe. It pretty much walks you through day-by-day.
I've been looking at that guide as well. Mainly because when looking up responses for the second(?) Strength Social Link event, the guide listed the first responses as unimportant while that GameFAQs guide actually specified that one of the responses raised Understanding (even though the response itself didn't grant any S. Link points). I liked that.

Tamanon said:
Gotta get the questions right and you need a high knowledge stat for the final question. I'm pretty sure it's impossible unless you completely ignore social links and hang out in the library a lot on the first playthrough to ace the first test. i'm pretty sure it requires knowledge rank 4 to pass the first, but then it's 4, 5, and 6 for the next three exams, much easier to do.
My Knowledge rank is 2 right now. 4 sounds kind of ridiculous! I remember in P3 it was like level 2 or 3 for the first exams and I wasted a ton of days studying at the school library instead of drinking the soup at Wakatsu and spending time with the non-school related S. Links. >_< Also, the the protagonist attributes only go up to 5 in P4, right? You listed 6. :p

So should I not bother "cramming" and instead study every couple of days? I exams start on 5/9 and if I go about it as I usually do I'll only study 2 or 3 times before then instead of obsessing over it.

I AM JOHN! said:
Why would you go through your first playthrough with a guide? I could understand the second playthrough for completionist and perfectionist sake, but why the first? Strikes me as something that would just diminish your ability to really take in the experience of the game and enjoy it.

Admittedly I used a FAQ to cheat on some of the exam questions in P3 (mostly the Japanese history ones), but I regret doing so.
As with P3, I doubt I'll even go through a second play through. When I'm not busy with school, I'm often play a lot of games and devoting 50+ hours to one game is already a bit much.

Blueblur1

Someone on GameFAQs also says that I would need Knowledge at level 4 to be placed in the top 5 scores for the exams. Screw that! :lol I will try to get my Knowledge to level 3 though.

Also, I just figured out that the pacing has really been bothering me and I feel like I'm flying blind without the calendar and senpai characters like Mitsuru and Akihiko. :p

Tamanon

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
Someone on GameFAQs also says that I would need Knowledge at level 4 to be placed in the top 5 scores for the exams. Screw that! :lol I will try to get my Knowledge to level 3 though.

Also, I just figured out that the pacing has really been bothering me and I feel like I'm flying blind without the calendar and senpai characters like Mitsuru and Akihiko. :p

In this game, you are the Senpais! It probably throws you off that the dungeon bits are two-week intervals and you don't really know for sure when they'll start.

Personally I liked that since it made it so I really didn't know what would happen next.

Blueblur1

Tamanon said:
In this game, you are the Senpais! It probably throws you off that the dungeon bits are two-week intervals and you don't really know for sure when they'll start.

Personally I liked that since it made it so I really didn't know what would happen next.
That and the board on the first floor of the Gekkoukan school listed the exact exam dates so I always knew when they were coming. They also showed up on the calendar which I always used to count my days until exams or a Full Moon event.

Dresden

Knowledge is also one of the best attributes to focus on raising, too. Generally, Diligence is something that can be ignored, since all it affects is the number of times you can fish without going home. And you can safely ignore fishing, unless you're a perfectionist and need to finish every quest.

Tamanon

Banned
You do need to get Diligence to 3 at least, that way you can get the Janitor job(which has an S Link and raises courage too)

FredFish

Dresden said:
...And you can safely ignore fishing, unless you're a perfectionist and need to finish every quest.

I'll disagree with this. IIRC you need to do some fishing to advance one of the s.links
the fox
which is more than a mere convinience
on account of his mana refresh discount being based on your s.link level
. It's true that Margaret has a fishing based request which you can ignore but since the old guy by the river will trade you some really kick-ass unique armor and weapons for the mega-carps or whatever they were called all in all I'd say fishing is very worthwhile even if you aren't going for a 100% game

Dresden

FredFish said:
I'll disagree with this. IIRC you need to do some fishing to advance one of the s.links
the fox
which is more than a mere convinience
on account of his mana refresh discount being based on your s.link level
. It's true that Margaret has a fishing based request which you can ignore but since the old guy by the river will trade you some really kick-ass unique armor and weapons for the mega-carps or whatever they were called all in all I'd say fishing is very worthwhile even if you aren't going for a 100% game

I wasn't a big fan of the mana discount, at all. I went through the game generally one-shotting every dungeon without ever using it. The fox's social link is dull and GOD I HATE THAT LITTLE BUGGER, but as an aside, I do feel that having to manage your resources with abilities like Cool Breeze or Invigorate brings a bit more challenge to what is an easy game.

Red Scarlet

Diligence also affects how much you get paid for doing the janitor job.

When does Margaret ask for something from fishing?

You can get a great weapon in May from fishing; helped me in my current thing.

FredFish

Red Scarlet said:
Diligence also affects how much you get paid for doing the janitor job.

When does Margaret ask for something from fishing?

You can get a great weapon in May from fishing; helped me in my current thing.

It's been a while since I played so she may not have given the quest but
there are several "quests" were you have to feed cats with fish that you catch. Margaret may not have actually given the quests but my memory was that it was something along the lines of what Elizabeth has you do in P3. Apologies if I'm wrong on that

Red Scarlet

Tamanon said:
Yeah there were the feed the cat sidequests that nobody in the world has ever done past the first one.:D

I've done them every time! Takes like 10 freaking fish for the cat to get full. Each time.

firehawk12 said:
I heard money wasn't a problem, but having a high level character should be able to breeze you through the dungeons? I also read there's some kind of Lucifer combo fusion spell that makes every battle one turn affairs?
Lucifer x Satan

not a fusion but a dual Persona attack.

along with another Persona having Victory Cry, makes the endgame really broken

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Which, going through the game right now and dealing with being tired and other stuff, I'm perfectly happy to do because I just want to see the Hermit S-link for myself. :lol

Hell, the save has some of those Orb things that prevent all damage. I'm basically strolling through the dungeons right now.

Red Scarlet

Depends on what you make..on my replay of P3 I used some low-level mains for most of the game, then made my Alice main and stuff.

Yomotsu Shikome was a good main for me early on..4 elemental+a group hitter+auto tarukaja and auto sukukaja (negating tired status basically), then lilim later (4 elemental+null light and cool breeze), then Alice to just nuke stuff.

BOUNCY HEALER YO
p4148.png

I kinda want Null Wind instead of Repel Ice though..she seems to be an alright healer before I get Ishtar. If I get Repel Phys+Fire+Elec + Null Wind, I think I can just auto-battle my way past the November boss.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
firehawk12 said:
I heard money wasn't a problem, but having a high level character should be able to breeze you through the dungeons? I also read there's some kind of Lucifer combo fusion spell that makes every battle one turn affairs?

Helel w/ Victory Cry + Satan equals death. Get Spell Master for adding unfairness.

kiryogi

Banned
Looks like this was never posted. or at least around the dates I'm seeing anyway. Persona music live! Velvet Room in Akasaka Blitz!

Tons of stuff running around youtube. Here's some tho.

Never more - Persona 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftmMdacTCUY&feature=related

Mass Destruction - Persona 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFoNxw-2X7U

Burn my dread - Persona 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bbB8nE5X2o&feature=related

Reach out to the truth - Persona 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coig-p6y2kA&feature=related

Pursuing my true self - Persona 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjnZoVLq1a4&feature=related

Find the rest on youtube. :O too awesome not to share.

kiryogi

Banned
Tamanon said:
:lol Mass Destruction performance, he's even got a backup dancing ho.

The older lady with the youngish rapper is such a weird group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSiq05Ubca8&feature=related

<3 Heaven

That older lady is Yumi Kawamura. Who basically does a majority of the modern persona vocals out there, such as Burn my Dread. Think she's done P3, Trinity Soul, and P1P. P4 is Shihoko Hirata. I imagine Kawamura is behind P3P as well.

Tamanon

Banned
kiryogi said:
That older lady is Yumi Kawamura. Who basically does a majority of the modern persona vocals out there, such as Burn my Dread. Think she's done P3, Trinity Soul, and P1P. P4 is Shihoko Hirata. I imagine Kawamura is behind P3P as well.

So, is Lotus Juice just the rapper? Kawamura's got some pipes on her live too.

Man, I've been feeling like playing P4 again on Hard. I've been listening to the tracks on my iPod and just felt the need to experience the awesomeness again.

EDIT: OMG, loved Heaven and Reach Out to the Truth Live <3 Thanks for the links!

kiryogi

Banned
Tamanon said:
So, is Lotus Juice just the rapper? Kawamura's got some pipes on her live too.

Haha yup. Man tho, seeing this makes me wish they have Lotus Juice for another Persona D:

And yeah, Kawamura is mad talented. Tho I was confused @ her gender at first in the live since she's dressed as P4's MC. XD

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Red Scarlet said:
:lol isn't that the 9999 combo?

Yeah. Spell Master just means you dont have to worry about using MP on something else and not being able to cast it.

It doesn't sound right if the battle music doesn't cut in randomly throughout.

When I was playing, I'd stand around listening to the Heaven song so the lyrics would kick in.

Red Scarlet

dragonlife29 said:
Man, I've been feeling like playing P4 again on Hard. I've been listening to the tracks on my iPod and just felt the need to experience the awesomeness again.

EDIT: OMG, loved Heaven and Reach Out to the Truth Live <3 Thanks for the links!

That's what I'm doing..the first dungeon was pretty interesting, but after that, not many stumbles overall.

Top Bottom