• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

ultron87

So I haven't decided if I want to do a second playthrough of this game, or just watch the Endurance Run again...

Though I could probably do a second and third run in the 100+ hours watching the ER would take.

Red Scarlet

I know of one that makes the boss of the dungeon you are at real easy, and I think it is a standard mid-20's persona. But to make him the 'right' way you make a level 28 one on a particular day to get the ability that makes the boss easy.

I like this game, but I find the actual dungeon bits extremely fucking boring and tedious, the enemies seem to have no trouble at all killing me with their first attack.
I'm up to the bit where you save Nanako
, but I'm extremely underpowered because I'm avoiding every battle I can, how many more dungeons do I have left?

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
I like this game, but I find the actual dungeon bits extremely fucking boring and tedious, the enemies seem to have no trouble at all killing me with their first attack.
I'm up to the bit where you save Nanako
, but I'm extremely underpowered because I'm avoiding every battle I can, how many more dungeons do I have left?

Would you say the dungeons are...teddy-ous?

Seriously, you just aren't a dungeon crawler fan. I'm not either, but I was able to tolerate it since I loved every other aspect of the game.

To answer your question
that's the last one if you're fine with the bad ending, 1 more after that one for the normal ending, and 2 more for the true ending

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
cosmicblizzard said:
To answer your question
that's the last one if you're fine with the bad ending, 1 more after that one for the normal ending, and 2 more for the true ending

Wow, is the game really that short? I
saved Nanako
the first day I could so I could avoid the time limit stuff (I have a 100% compendium save, so I don't have to worry about shit, but this is cheating, I know). But wow, that seems pretty short... :/

Also I'm still not digging any of the fixes P4 is doing to P3. P3 FAH LIFE. (Though I do dig Teddie and Yosuke a little..., still P3 cast is better IMO)

TheSeks said:
Wow, is the game really that short? I
saved Nanako
the first day I could so I could avoid the time limit stuff (I have a 100% compendium save, so I don't have to worry about shit, but this is cheating, I know). But wow, that seems pretty short... :/

It's still like an extra 15-20 hours if you go for the true ending.

TheSeks

cosmicblizzard said:
It's still like an extra 15-20 hours if you go for the true ending.

Well, okay. It just seems in the context of the game that's like "Well, damn... I seem to be cheating myself out of a longer game by focusing on S. Links instead of dungeon time limits like I did P3..." :lol

cosmicblizzard said:
Would you say the dungeons are...teddy-ous?

Seriously, you just aren't a dungeon crawler fan. I'm not either, but I was able to tolerate it since I loved every other aspect of the game.

To answer your question
Ah well, time to go grind I guess,
I don't want to settle for the bad ending

TheSeks said:
Well, okay. It just seems in the context of the game that's like "Well, damn... I seem to be cheating myself out of a longer game by focusing on S. Links instead of dungeon time limits like I did P3..." :lol

I actually have the opposite mindset. I would always take out the dungeons in a day after the first one so I can focus on S links. That, the story, and the boss fights are the main draw for me. I love the battle system and all, but S links are totally addicting.

I also like that the dungeons are shorter and not one 255 level one like Tartarus. That was just a chore for me.

Ah well, time to go grind I guess,
I don't want to settle for the bad ending

Actually the bad ending has nothing to do with a fight. It's a series of conversation choices that appear on
12/3
. You just have to get those right and you'll be fine.

Yeah, but I meant just do get through the dungeon, some jerkbags keep hitting me with almighty attacks and killing me. But I just got frustrated and stopped playing so I probably won't start again till next year.

Yeah, but I meant just do get through the dungeon, some jerkbags keep hitting me with almighty attacks and killing me. But I just got frustrated and stopped playing so I probably won't start again till next year.

Yeah, those almighty spells are a bitch. You might want to go to some previous dungeons and take out the mini-bosses there if you haven't done so already.

TheSeks

... You have to adjust to the mentality that you WILL die to a Hama/Mudo. WILL. It was common in Persona 3 (and the expansion: FES's the Answer), it's common here.

You have to use the "wild card" (ugh, I hate how this has become SUPER SPECIAL! compare to Persona 1/2's ability to change EVERYONE's Persona's...) ability of the main character to avoid death. Remember what an enemy uses on you and then change to absorb/reflect/null the spell/skills of that enemy. Use it often, use it right and you won't have a problem.

But Mudo/Hama (Light/Dark) will be the problem and it does happen.

Right now, you're only level 5-10 (at least I was when I cleared the dungeon, but remember I'm cheating with all Persona's unlocked...), don't go in thinking you're going to take the dungeon out in one go currently. Go in, level up on ALL enemies until your SP is depleted, then GTFO for the day. Even better is to enemies until your party members (Yosuke/Chie) are tired. (They'll even mention it out-side of battle... "Man, I'm tired...") Then GTFO and wait a day or two (to make sure they don't get sick if P4 is like P3 on that), then go back in and level up.

I'm not quite sure of the pacing in 4 due to the stupid weather system changing from the moon phases, but you should only have to hard-core "grind" levels once-twice per dungeon.

Isn't Nanako the first real dungeon, or am I thinking of some other girls' name?

TheSeks said:
... You have to adjust to the mentality that you WILL die to a Hama/Mudo. WILL. It was common in Persona 3 (and the expansion: FES's the Answer), it's common here.

You have to use the "wild card" (ugh, I hate how this has become SUPER SPECIAL! compare to Persona 1/2's ability to change EVERYONE's Persona's...) ability of the main character to avoid death. Remember what an enemy uses on you and then change to absorb/reflect/null the spell/skills of that enemy. Use it often, use it right and you won't have a problem.

But Mudo/Hama (Light/Dark) will be the problem and it does happen.

Right now, you're only level 5-10 (at least I was when I cleared the dungeon, but remember I'm cheating with all Persona's unlocked...), don't go in thinking you're going to take the dungeon out in one go currently. Go in, level up on ALL enemies until your SP is depleted, then GTFO for the day. Even better is to enemies until your party members (Yosuke/Chie) are tired. (They'll even mention it out-side of battle... "Man, I'm tired...") Then GTFO and wait a day or two (to make sure they don't get sick if P4 is like P3 on that), then go back in and level up.

I'm not quite sure of the pacing in 4 due to the stupid weather system changing from the moon phases, but you should only have to hard-core "grind" levels once-twice per dungeon.

Isn't Nanako the first real dungeon, or am I thinking of some other girls' name?

Suddenly you thinking the game was too short makes sense. That's not the first dungeon at all. He should be about 50+ hours in at that point.

Red Scarlet

Well, some of the interface features are handy when you are playing normally, like being able to arrange personas in the order you want (for what ones you have equipped), which you could only do in 3 by removing then rebuying them, which also makes fusing them take less time when you can put them next to each other, but using a 100% compendium save pretty much makes those pointless...why are you doing that?

And those are two VERY different characters...:lol

MGrant

It needs to be said that, even though I really did prefer P4 to 3, Junpei > Yosuke. P3 can keep Ken, Fuuka, and Aigis, though.

Gravijah

After my 150 hour two part playthrough of P3 in 2008 (in which I still haven't seen the ending, but that's another issue), I think I'm finally ready to play this beast of a game... I just can't decide on if I should use a guide to max out all of my social links or not. They're probably my favorite part of the game and I'd like to see them all, but I also prefer playing things my way sometimes and the restrictions I'd have to go through... Ehh.

So what the hell do I do? And how exactly does the New Game+ work in this (if there is one)?

Edit: Some googling tells me NG+ is exactly what I want and should get rid of any fears of messing up in my first playthrough... Scared of spoilers so I didn't look here :lol

TheSeks

Yeah, I got the wrong person. Stupid names. I meant Yukiko. :/

Anyway~

05/07 in my game.
-Joined the Soccer Team (Why do I get the feeling Daisuke wants to bone Seta?) Ranked to 4 in a month.
-Bought and finished the first book from the bookstore (when I load my save, I need to get the new book from the store since I'm on that day)
-Ranked up Yosuke to 5 (I like Yosuke a lot, nearly as much as Junpei)
-Ranked Chie up to 2
-Saved Yukiko in a day (literally)
-Made Armoatic Ginger (or whatever the second option after Nanako went shopping), fed it to Daisuke (why not? If he wants to bone me, I'll bone him back), who loved it. Lucky guess. 2x S.Link (?) increase.
-Went to Junes with Nanako, Chie, Yukiko, Yosuke. All had fun, S.Link Nanako unlocked.
-Went to Junes with Daisuke, Chu, Yosuke, Nanako. Had fun (even though Daisuke had no interest in Nananko) with all.
-Started Dojima S.Link.
-Did some jobs (is there an end to crane folding?) Doubling my Courage/and other stats
-Did one of the rainy-day eating challenges, passing it. Greatly increasing my stats.
-Met the fox at the shrine (S.Link? Possible helping me)

Pretty much a good month in doing things. :lol

TheSeks

Red Scarlet said:
You only pass the rainy day challenge with max stats.

Oh, really? I guess I don't need to raise my stats anymore? Persona 4 starts New Games off at level 1, unlike Persona 3 where I started at 99. :lol

TheSeks

Red Scarlet said:
Are your 5 stats/characteristics at level 5? If they aren't, you'll gain 3 of 4 of them on the rainy day thing.

How do I check that? There is no "Courageous, Charismatic, Bad-ass" menu option as far as I could tell like there was for Minato in Persona 3's status menu.

Red Scarlet

Go to status, main guy, then press square or triangle to see your stats. But you're playing off a new game+ 100% compendium file iirc, so they're probably all already at 5 each. You gain nothing by doing the rainy day challenge at max stats. Its purpose is to gain a bonus in 3 of the stats on a normal play.

Tamanon

Banned
You probably don't have maxed Diligence, it's not required for anything and it's pretty tough to raise so unless you go out of your way to fold envelopes forever you won't get it your first playthrough.

BitchTits

I just started playing the game. I'm really early on, the gang just left the cop shop to go to the weapons store.

Just one question: Is the ratio of gameplay to cutscene/dialogue like this the whole game?

I'm liking the overall design and storyline so far, but the ratio of gameplay to dialogue so far is the exact opposite of what I want from a game. I know JRPGs take a while to get going, which is why I'm asking, because I like everything else. It's just that if 75% of the game is pressing X to forward to the next piece of dialogue, I think I'll end my playtime here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
BitchTits said:
It's just that if 75% of the game is pressing X to forward to the next piece of dialogue, I think I'll end my playtime here.

but you'll miss out on one of the best murder mysteries in video gaming :(

TheExodu5

Banned
BitchTits said:
I just started playing the game. I'm really early on, the gang just left the cop shop to go to the weapons store.

Just one question: Is the ratio of gameplay to cutscene/dialogue like this the whole game?

I'm liking the overall design and storyline so far, but the ratio of gameplay to dialogue so far is the exact opposite of what I want from a game. I know JRPGs take a while to get going, which is why I'm asking, because I like everything else. It's just that if 75% of the game is pressing X to forward to the next piece of dialogue, I think I'll end my playtime here.

Once the first dungeon gets started, it's about:

50% dungeons
40% social links
10% cutscenes

Anyways, in case you guys wanted to see how awesome this looks on an emulator:

p4_great_settings.png

BitchTits said:

The opening of Persona 4 is really slow, but the game will eventually open up allowing for a lot more actual gameplay.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Yup. The first 3 hours or so are not indicative of the game's real pacing. Although, I'm one of the few that didn't give a fuck about the lengthy intro because I was incredibly interested in the world and story. Coming off of P3FES, story was my main focus (even though everything else is awesome too :))

Steroyd

kylej said:
Compendium resets but you keep your highest level.

You mean the Persona level for summoning? My player level has reset back to lvl 3 or whatever with all my items gone I feel absolutely gutted about that. :(

Anyone know a website for which fusions give me which persona's, gamefaqs has been failing for a couple of years now.

kylej

Banned
Steroyd said:
You mean the Persona level for summoning? My player level has reset back to lvl 3 or whatever with all my items gone I feel absolutely gutted about that. :(

Anyone know a website for which fusions give me which persona's, gamefaqs has been failing for a couple of years now.

Yeah I knew it was gimped but I had it reversed. You keep your Persona but you can't use them because your level resets iirc

kurohana

demosthenes said:
Just wondering. How powerful is your computer to get it to run like that? Cuz that looks really nice o_o.

It does look nice... until you get into certain battles. Then the fps drops pretty badly. That's my experience from playing it that way, anyway~

Red Scarlet

kylej said:
Yeah I knew it was gimped but I had it reversed. You keep your Persona but you can't use them because your level resets iirc

You can buy the ones in your compendium still, you just can't make new ones unless you are at the level of the Persona or higher.

You keep your money in New Game+, so it is recommended to sell pretty much everything in your inventory that you can.

What personas are you trying to make, ster?

Midou

demosthenes said:
Just wondering. How powerful is your computer to get it to run like that? Cuz that looks really nice o_o.

I gotta second this question, my dual core is lame, its about a 2.6 ghz, AMD 5000+ but it maxes out both CPUs to run a game at minimum at an awful frame rate.. this is using like 23% at 60 FPS..

TheExodu5 said:
Once the first dungeon gets started, it's about:

50% dungeons
40% social links
10% cutscenes

Anyways, in case you guys wanted to see how awesome this looks on an emulator:

Daaaaaaaamn Exodus, wish I had a computer that could emulate a PS2 game and make it look awesome. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SatelliteOfLove said:

Maybe enjoyable the first time.

Not so fun if you want to do a second playthrough.

If they do a P4P, they should just show you that Persona 4 comic posted a while ago every time you start a New Game + and dump you in the first dungeon. :lol

Steroyd

Red Scarlet said:
You can buy the ones in your compendium still, you just can't make new ones unless you are at the level of the Persona or higher.

You keep your money in New Game+, so it is recommended to sell pretty much everything in your inventory that you can.

What personas are you trying to make, ster?

The plan was to get the move specific Margaret persona's for the Empress S. Link, but I need to re-level for that now. :(

I knew I should've learned my lesson from Persona 3 and asked what carry's over in the new game +.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
jeesh man this thread still exists!!

I had good times playing this game. I hope everyone who is still playing it is enjoying it as well! :D

Top Bottom