• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

I didn't get to complete Kanji's S-Link on my first time through the game, but that was because I didn't figure out how to trigger it starting until after summer vacation was over, leaving me without a lot of time to actually work on finishing it.

TheSeks said:
6912_v.gif

I'm sorry. <3

Edit: Damn it, your avatar rotates. Fuck you, bitch. :mad:
Heh. I was wondering when you'd notice ;D

charlequin said:
It's pretty lame that you can't get the game to actually acknowledge you as dating Kanji or have a Christmas "date" with him, but at least the S-Link is written in such a way that it's super-easy to just pretend that you're dating him. :lol
That made it worse for me :lol I was impressed/shocked with Kanji's dungeon overall as a gay guy, myself. I had never really seen serious exposure to a theme such as this [in a game] that when his Social Link came around, I stupidly got excited until I realized that dating him was just not going to happen :lol...</3

And, yeah, sekoku (I'm never going to directly call you TheSeks) the "is he or isn't he?" was disappointing as well.

Fimbulvetr said:
Tell us more.

We would also grab each others tits from behind and yell "SECOND BASE!". Eventually this spread to our female friends and essentially groping them with no prior warning became perfectly acceptable.

I miss college :/

KuwabaraTheMan said:
But I'm glad they didn't just take the easy road out and pigeonhole him into a sexuality

I think you've got it backwards. Doing this ambiguous thing is the "easy road." It provides plausible deniability without tackling the thing head-on. I don't mind it or anything -- I don't really see games as needing to be on front line of removing gay taboos from pop culture -- and it fit with how the other characters are developed (where their particular "controversial" hangup [e.g., Naoto
pretending to be a dude
] is really just a manifestation of some far less controversial emotional issue). However, that IS taking the easy road when it comes to the actual taboos (gender identity, sexual orientation) involved.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
:lol at the Gekkoukan High cameo. Chihiro looked a lot older and more confident in the Persona 4 art-style
Minato confirmed for hot dickings the governement girl
. The supernatural teacher was still awesome to have a class on.

Rise and the gang going to the nightclub/Escapade along with getting "drunk" was :lol . I picked the #1 straw and Teddie wanted to kiss, taking out Kanji in his high. :lol I become the king and ordered Yosuke to have a piggy-back ride on it (much to Yosuke's dismay :lol :lol ). Only for the end of the night to be:

Naoto: Hey, these aren't alcoholic drinks, I checked earlier!
Rise and Yukiko laughing their asses off "drunk" and ZZZzzZZzzZZZzzz
Naoto: Are you all imbeciles? :/

Teddie arriving and them staying at the love hotel boss "hotel" was :lol

Oh Persona 3 land, how I miss you. :(

That said, on 9/13 and will be diving in to rush through the next three days so I can start
Naoto's dungeon to rescue him
, wish me luck beating the boss. I need it! :lol

TheSeks

:lol :lol The culture festival! :lol :lol

"Well, it looks like the speed dating booth is a failure... :("

"Well, there's four guys and two girls here..."
(Boldly sit down on the girls side)
Yosuke: "You never fail to surprise me, Seta-kun!"
(...)
Ask: Who would you date?
>Yosuke
Kanji
Yosuke: "W-W-WOAH! OKAY! WE GET IT! YOU ROLE-PLAY REALLY WELL! NOW STOP! IT'S GETTING CREEPY!" (Oh, Yosuke, you protest too much... :lol )

I really wonder what the Kanji answer is. :lol

Kanji cross dressing. :lol :lol
Yosuke being a slutty cheerleader. :lol :lol

The hotel and Kanji being near Ms. Konishi (who looks better without the makeup) and Teddie with the fat girl. :lol :lol :lol

Okay, up to 11/1. Only... two-three more dungeons from the end, right?

TheSeks

How the hell are you supposed to beat "
Kuni No Sagiri
"/
"the killer"
? Holy fuck does he have a bunch of HP and you only do 80-200 (if a mind-charged Naoto/Almighty combo hits) damage to him a pop.

I got him down to the last 20% of so of his health and then he starts to
"unswerving justice!"
you to death. :(

TheSeks

Nevermind. Beat it. Rise's notification could've been written better to understand that the boss is
weak to the element he fires off
. I figured it was "
do the opposite
" instead. :|

Got the bad end. Instead of Persona 3's having a monologue and... BAM BAD END. I get a cut scene with no subtitles (SMH) that feels like
"I know what you did last summer"

Going to pick the right answers and continue the game, obviously. Can anyone give a transcript for the bad ending?

TheSeks said:
Can anyone give a transcript for the bad ending?

There are 3 bad endings actually.

1)
Nanako and Nametame die.

2)
Nanako dies, but you let Namatame live.

3)
Both Nanako and Nametame live, but you haven't found the real killer and Nanako's condition isn't getting any better.

TheSeks

Fimbulvetr said:
There are 3 bad endings actually.

1)
Nanako and Nametame die.

2)
Nanako dies, but you let Namatame live.

3)
Both Nanako and Nametame live, but you haven't found the real killer and Nanako's condition isn't getting any better.

The first one, then. I didn't know there were two others. (But I guess that's possible given Yosuke
's questions
)

Crazetex

I've been watching a friend play this game after I forced him to borrow it. He has fallen absolutely in love. He just beat that thing that goes with the A New World Fool track today while I sat back and laughed at its tricks.

I'm trying to educate him. His favorite game is Final Fantasy 8, and he says that he's a gamer. The problem is that before last year, he has only played Chrono Cross, the Jak series, FF8-12 and FF Tactics! Since then, I've gotten him to play (and adore) Suikoden V, Suikoden II, Tales of the Abyss and Persona 4. Up next is Chrono Trigger. (Actually, I tried to get him to play FF6, but he stopped playing right before the floating island, and he stopped FF4DS before Sylph Cave. :< )

...yeah. Persona 4 rocks.

TheSeks

How do you get bad ending #2? I'm on the path that could lead to #3 now, but I'm going to finish these last two dungeons and finish this sumbitch and put it on the shelf with Persona 3: FES.

Let me just say: Atlus are assholes for making you think
Nanako is dead
, holy fuck what a tear jerker and a punk twist. :lol

TheSeks

Persona7 said:
it's been sitting on my shelf forever, I can never muster up the willpower to play it.

Persona7.

Shame on you. ;)

Meanwhile: I reached
Adachy-Baby
! Goddamn, the dungeon is LOOOOOONG.

Level 70 while the rest of the party is 68-70.

Brosuke
Kanji
Naoto

And we're all doing 70 damage against them, physical attacks.

WTF. Is there anyway to do decent/100+ damage on them?

Also what's a good persona for reflect physical/magical attacks?

I think I need to find a "removes fear" accessory if homs aren't sold in stores. Annoying fear/death combo finally rears it's ugly head in Persona 4!

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I was planning on getting this game soon, and I was wondering if there was any advice or anything I should know beforehand?

Not too much -- it's a fairly accessible RPG, for the average JRPG player.

It's about 100 hours if you play fairly thoroughly. It's very story-oriented. The following advice is only geared to avoid frustration. Other stuff you should discover on your own.

There are a few dialog/etc. points in the game that decide which ending you get. Trust me -- you want the best possible ending for the full experience. Use this guide:

http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/persona-4-ending-guide-spoiler-free/1277/

It is SPOILER-FREE, so don't worry.

Granted, the big decision points are sort of obvious in terms of recognizing them, but what to do/say in those situations is not quite as obvious. So, use the above guide.

Finally, don't procrastinate: save each character with time to spare. The game is not 100% clear about when fog is going to appear, so if you're *too* blase about it, you're going to get frustrated with a sudden Game Over once (as I did). Though, after that you'll have no problems, having learned a valuable lesson.

Basically... if you see two rainy days in a row on the weather forecast -- you must beat the mission by then. Note: rainy night followed by rainy morning counts; etc. But to avoid all that, just be conservative.

shahkur

^ That the game is long. I've had it for ~20 months and still not even half way through it. The music is AMAZING (Down to preference). The battle system is FAST and there are NO RANDOM ENCOUNTERS. I'm guessing your'e getting it cheap, if so then its DEFINITELY worth the money. GO FOR IT!!!

Curufinwe

Be careful looking for P4 information outside of this thread or you will almost certainly be spoiled.

Buy 5 TaP sodas from the vending machine near the item store whenever it gets restocked. They restore 10 SP each, and early on in the game they will come in handy.

Normal isn't that hard, but there's nothing wrong with regularly exiting the dungeons to save before going back in. You will re-enter at the highest floor you reached.

You should set all your teammates to direct control as soon as they start participating in fights.

I've owned this game forever but still haven't played it yet. I believe I'm finally close to finishing "The Journey" in P3 FES right now. I'm going to skip "The Answer" and head straight into P4 since most people in the FES thread said it's not worth playing.

I love P3, but I'm really looking forward to having the ability control all my party members in battle. The AI has done a fairly good job in P3 so far, but there were times that my party members just did not do what I wanted them to or what would be best in a situation.

In P4, if your main character dies in battle do you still get a game over when you have other party members left alive?

BentMyWookiee said:
In P4, if your main character dies in battle do you still get a game over when you have other party members left alive?
Yes. Don't forget to bring a homunculus along to deal with all those pesky instant death spells.

C.T.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I was planning on getting this game soon, and I was wondering if there was any advice or anything I should know beforehand?

Nope. just hurry and buy it. Enjoy.

Amir0x

Banned
funny this thread was bumped because today I used my new PC to finally emulate some of my old PS2 games and Persona 4 was the first one I tried

HOMG at Persona 4 with 16x AA :eek:

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
BentMyWookiee said:
I love P3, but I'm really looking forward to having the ability control all my party members in battle. The AI has done a fairly good job in P3 so far, but there were times that my party members just did not do what I wanted them to or what would be best in a situation.

This is why I'm glad I went with Persona 3 Portable over FES.

TheSeks

Guys, can you buy magic/attack mirrors in this unlike P3?

Despera

Banned
Amir0x said:
funny this thread was bumped because today I used my new PC to finally emulate some of my old PS2 games and Persona 4 was the first one I tried

HOMG at Persona 4 with 16x AA :eek:

You're talking about experimental HW Anti-Aliasing, right?

These emulators man... They make some games look as good as some current gen games.

TheSeks

RedRedSuit said:
Hell no!

They were pretty tough to get in P3:F also.

Damn. :/

That said, I beat
Adachi
, Trumpter with Debilitate is nice.

But then...

*dun-dun-DUUUUUUUUN* forced second boss battle with no healing or saving.

The eyeball of DOOM!
can't beat him as Naoto/Kanji are exhausted from HP/MP draining. Salvation is probably not the best heal spell for these series of battles and Yosuke is busy evade buff and HP damaging attacking. >_<

Stupid
fog and buffs
, It throws a wrench into my attack orders. :/

Despera

Banned
TheSeks said:
Damn. :/

That said, I beat
Adachi
, Trumpter with Debilitate is nice.

But then...

*dun-dun-DUUUUUUUUN* forced second boss battle with no healing or saving.

The eyeball of DOOM!
can't beat him as Naoto/Kanji are exhausted from HP/MP draining. Salvation is probably not the best heal spell for these series of battles and Yosuke is busy evade buff and HP damaging attacking. >_<

Stupid
fog and buffs
, It throws a wrench into my attack orders. :/

That's why you should keep at least one Soma for emergencies. I always pile up on crucial items for the last boss, and mostly end up never using 'em.

TheSeks

Despera said:
That's why you should keep at least one Soma for emergencies. I always pile up on crucial items for the last boss, and mostly end up never using 'em.

I doubt you can buy Soma's? I'm at 12/17, so it's not like I'm PRESSED for ending this right now. I can leave, go to the stores in town and buy whatever I need.

I'm thinking it's probably GRINDING TIEM (burnmydread.mp3) to catch Chie (level 23), Yukiko (level 30?), Teddie (level 50 or something like that) up to the rest of us finally. Oh god, I hate you Atlus making me use ALL party members. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Despera said:
You're talking about experimental HW Anti-Aliasing, right?

These emulators man... They make some games look as good as some current gen games.

I hope one day in the future these console makers are smart enough to include this sort of hardware enhanced emulating for the games we own on the PS5 or whatever. It'd be so amazing.

TheSeks

Man, grinding is such a chore.

Chie is level 60, Yukiko is level 61. They've stopped leveling every battle at that point. I'm not too sure they're good/high enough to take these two bosses on.

So... is there a better/faster EXP way that isn't the two items (that I missed) and auto battle for twelve hours and then revive them to get them EXP? :lol

TheSeks

Hoorah! Beat the grind, got the normal ending. Which is waaaaaay better than the bad ending.

Now, I've got
"some unfinished business"
to attend to and finish the game with the best ending. :|

Edit: And I totally forgot there is a Persona 2 reference at the end. Yasoinaba.

Yasogami High School in Persona 2:IS, and Inaba being Persona 4. Smooth, Atlus. :lol

TheSeks

Okay. Got the best ending.

I still say Persona 3: FES > Persona 4. The last dungeon in P4 is FUCKING AWESOME in design (IMO) but the boss is no where near as good as P3's.

That and ending battle bit was disappointing compared to P3 as well.
Sacraficing yourself > glasses toss, no matter how cool the glasses toss is

So yeah, I'm in the extreme minority for liking P3 over P4 in everyway, but I will admit that P4's cast was pretty good. With the exception of Chie I liked everyone on the cast and their conclusions on the best ending were pretty satisfying.

Too bad I don't know what they're saying in the ending animation. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
octopusman said:
:lol :lol :lol
I remember hama, that spell is this game in a nutshell.

This is why I play the game on easy. Fuck that shit. :lol

TheSeks said:
Okay. Got the best ending.

I still say Persona 3: FES > Persona 4. The last dungeon in P4 is FUCKING AWESOME in design (IMO) but the boss is no where near as good as P3's.

That and ending battle bit was disappointing compared to P3 as well.
Sacraficing yourself > glasses toss, no matter how cool the glasses toss is

So yeah, I'm in the extreme minority for liking P3 over P4 in everyway, but I will admit that P4's cast was pretty good. With the exception of Chie I liked everyone on the cast and their conclusions on the best ending were pretty satisfying.

Too bad I don't know what they're saying in the ending animation. :(

You hate Chie?!

The P3 boss was, to coin a phrase, a bit too much of an endurance run. It just seemed to go on forever.

firehawk12 said:
The P3 boss was, to coin a phrase, a bit too much of an endurance run. It just seemed to go on forever.

Yes, but it was so fucking EPIC. And the music... soooooo nice.

I think Persona 4 was probably better all things considered -- it had the benefit of hindsight and fixed 95% if not all of the gameplay problems with 3 (FES) -- but Persona 3 had more "epic."

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
RedRedSuit said:
Yes, but it was so fucking EPIC. And the music... soooooo nice.

I think Persona 4 was probably better all things considered -- it had the benefit of hindsight and fixed 95% if not all of the gameplay problems with 3 (FES) -- but Persona 3 had more "epic."

In that sense, I think the 2 games parallel Fallout 3 and New Vegas quite nicely. The newest iteration fixes some issues with gameplay, but the original had a more exciting plot.

firehawk12 said:
This is why I play the game on easy. Fuck that shit. :lol

You hate Chie?!

Chie hates him too!

P3's end boss was a good one, but WILDLY stronger than the flunky story bosses previous too that (why were they so weak? /shrug)

Sub_Level said:
In that sense, I think the 2 games parallel Fallout 3 and New Vegas quite nicely. The newest iteration fixes some issues with gameplay, but the original had a more exciting plot.

Interesting -- I've heard more or less nothing but criticism for Fallout 3's plot, whereas there tends to be a lot of praise for New Vegas's. (I haven't played either yet.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I liked that the P4 boss was more integrated into the story though. It's very old school JRPG boss design and the actual ending is completely choreographed, but it worked really well in helping the game tell the story.

Top Bottom