• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Does the main character have a default name? I'm really OCD about that kind of stuff, and I thought his name was Seta Souji, but I think I may have messed it up and put the names in reverse order. Should it say on my save file "Seta Souji" or the other way around?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Does the main character have a default name? I'm really OCD about that kind of stuff, and I thought his name was Seta Souji, but I think I may have messed it up and put the names in reverse order. Should it say on my save file "Seta Souji" or the other way around?

That's the manga name. He has no "official" name like Minato Arisato (P3 dude).

Game wise, you name him last and first like P3, so Souji Seta like it'd be in Japan.

You hate Chie?!

I will forever hate Chie. So... grating. Rise at least stopped being somewhat grating in her S. Link.

firehawk12 said:
I liked that the P4 boss was more integrated into the story though. It's very old school JRPG boss design and the actual ending is completely choreographed, but it worked really well in helping the game tell the story.

We must have played different P4's, because
LOL THE GAS STATION ATTENDANT IS THE BIG BAD!!!!
reeked of "BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!"

I think the normal ending satisfied everything except the question you answer in the best ending, but frankly: who cared? That ending question wasn't too important...
you gained your persona before anyone else, you're the team leader because of that. You're on your way to solve the murders. Murders solved. Mystery over!

RedRedSuit said:
I think Persona 4 was probably better all things considered -- it had the benefit of hindsight and fixed 95% if not all of the gameplay problems with 3 (FES)

In gameplay, sure. In story, no. In cast, they're about 50/50 for me.

I still prefer P3:FES, however. I'm in the minority, I know, but I rather have a dismal story + no control over the party (it wasn't that bad) over controlling everything like standard JRPG #29034564039583049584038.

TheSeks said:
because

Yeah. But I found that cool.

In gameplay, sure.

True. And not so much in combat (I thought both systems were strong) but other things, like save points, having to talk to the character to access their equip screen, and various other irritants.

In story, no.

True, but with an asterisk: the pacing in Persona 4 was much better. Persona 3 had this long feeling of "why am I playing this game?" until the story really gets going.

In cast, they're about 50/50 for me.

True. Though I loved Chie.

I'm in the minority, I know, but I rather have a dismal story + no control over the party (it wasn't that bad) over controlling everything like standard JRPG #29034564039583049584038.

Hmm. Well, I don't think either P3F or P4 were really like standard JRPGs in terms of combat. They both had pretty nice battle systems that weren't totally out there, but they did have their own identities.

As for no control over the party, I do agree that it wasn't that bad. It was actually surprisingly good -- and kind of fun, having to change tactics and stuff -- about 90% of the time. However, the 10% of the time when the other characters did stupid shit despite any tactics -- THAT was really irritating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TheSeks said:
I will forever hate Chie. So... grating. Rise at least stopped being somewhat grating in her S. Link.
Steak 4ever!

We must have played different P4's, because

I think the normal ending satisfied everything except the question you answer in the best ending, but frankly: who cared? That ending question wasn't too important...
you gained your persona before anyone else, you're the team leader because of that. You're on your way to solve the murders. Murders solved. Mystery over!
Well, it explains why things happen in the first place. I look at the True Ending to be the equivalent of The Answer in FES I guess, but just integrated within the main game.

But I'm talking about the mechanics of the actual fight at the end, when
your party takes hits for you and you throw off your glasses because you can finally "see"
. I dunno, it was fun because I haven't seen a game take control of a boss fight like that in a while. :lol

TheSeks

(Several Week Old Bump. WHOOOOOO~)

Well, it explains why things happen in the first place. I look at the True Ending to be the equivalent of The Answer in FES I guess, but just integrated within the main game.

Sure. It explained things, but I didn't really care how the murders started. Honestly, the advertising on the box makes the game out to be a dinner murder mystery and when it's that, it worked. The extra stuff after that bit just was "we have an extra five hours if you like!"

I feel the Answer/Episode: Aigis was better off as a side-story/complimentary ending and P3's normal ending is fine and stand-alone. P4's ending while a complimentary ending to the normal ending wasn't really important, I feel. Same for the Journey, I guess. But the Journey felt more... coherent. I don't know how to explain how I feel toward it. It just wasn't... great. :/

Also did "hi i'm daisy" ever update past 3 Persona 4 comics? I've been reading the first three today and it really shows the absurdity to the story. :lol

the pacing in Persona 4 was much better.

The pacing in Persona 4 felt really busy and off to me. Sure, Persona 3 had a lot of "do nothing" moments, but it didn't overwhelm you to "DO THIS BEFORE THE GAME AUTO-GAME-OVERS! OH WAIT, YOU NEED TO DO S.LINKS AT THE END BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T DO THEM WITHIN THIS TIME LIMIT?! TOO BAD!" :|

mollipen

What the! How does anybody dislike Chie? That's impossible, as she's one of the best female characters to come from Atlus. And god help me if you say you liked Yukari above Chie! Yukari was un-bear-able as a love interest, and only becomes interesting when you're playing female MC and see her instead as a close friend.

TheSeks

shidoshi said:
What the! How does anybody dislike Chie? That's impossible, as she's one of the best female characters to come from Atlus. And god help me if you say you liked Yukari above Chie! Yukari was un-bear-able as a love interest, and only becomes interesting when you're playing female MC and see her instead as a close friend.

Chie sucks. dealwithit.gif

But Yukari was just as bad.

So how long is this game anyway? I'm 20 hours in and just reached the
Game dungeon
. I've been hearing rumours that it's 40-60 hours long but I'm pretty sure that I'm more than halfway through :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
OneMoreQuestion said:
Game dungeon
. I've been hearing rumours that it's 40-60 hours long but I'm pretty sure that I'm more than halfway through :D

Really depends on how you play, but you're about at the half-way point IIRC.

mollipen

OneMoreQuestion said:
Game dungeon

I hit about 119 hours in my playthrough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I got up to Shadow Teddie and just stopped playing. :(

OneMoreQuestion said:
Game dungeon
80+ hours if you go true ending.

ultron87

TheSeks said:
Also did "hi i'm daisy" ever update past 3 Persona 4 comics? I've been reading the first three today and it really shows the absurdity to the story. :lol

Oh my god. That author's name is Hi I'm Daisy. I thought "hiimdaisy" was just random gibberish. I never thought to space the words out. :lol

It all makes sense now!

And as far as I know, they haven't been updated. The dubs someone made of them on Youtube are pretty good though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUTQKMRLYQ

RedSwirl

I put this game down over a year ago around 90 hours in at the gate to the final, final, final true ending dungeon. I haven't had the will to pick it back up since I'm at a part where I'm gonna have to completely re-organize and fuse all my personas again.

I'm also gonna have to play through the whole game one more time since my lack of courage (didn't know about the bistro until like December) blocked a lot of choices for me.

Yaweee

RedSwirl said:
I put this game down over a year ago around 90 hours in at the gate to the final, final, final true ending dungeon. I haven't had the will to pick it back up since I'm at a part where I'm gonna have to completely re-organize and fuse all my personas again.

I'm also gonna have to play through the whole game one more time since my lack of courage (didn't know about the bistro until like December) blocked a lot of choices for me.

You probably aren't at the point of having to re-organize your party. The last dungeon is really no more difficult than the previous one, so any persona you used before are probably still good.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yaweee said:
You probably aren't at the point of having to re-organize your party. The last dungeon is really no more difficult than the previous one, so any persona you used before are probably still good.

This. The only time in the game I had to grind and fuse Personas was for the last boss, not the last dungeon. And even then, at a low 70-something I didn't even grind that long, just enough so that Trumpeteer would learn Debilitate (which wasn't much, considering you should have a full Judgement social link by now).

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I was about 80% through the game as far as I can tell. Just listened to a random Persona 3 song on Youtube and a guy just spoiled one of the biggest things yet to come in a comment. Goddammit!

Yaweee

Sub_Level said:
This. The only time in the game I had to grind and fuse Personas was for the last boss, not the last dungeon. And even then, at a low 70-something I didn't even grind that long, just enough so that Trumpeteer would learn Debilitate (which wasn't much, considering you should have a full Judgement social link by now).

Yup. Trumpeteer was super useful for the second-to-last dungeon, and I ran through through the last dungeon only gaining a level or two, then one-shotted the final boss with the same Persona. On Hard.

They really accounted for only having one day to do it. It's a brief follow-up to the main story, not a huge step up like the other dungeons.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Crewnh said:
No, no, keep going! It'll only get better
I felt the Persona lust last night, so as soon as I unpack my PS2 (just moved) I reckon I'll come back for more.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Shit I need to finish this game. I was right at the end of the True Ending Dungeon on my 1st playthrough. I had every Persona acquired. I was trying to make all of the perfect Persona in the game and quit playing when I was trying to level Helel to get him the best stats during level ups. I also think I wanted to go back and give Satan better abilities since some of the stuff he had was just for fusion fodder. Just trying to remember all of the fusion combinations again is going to hurt my head :lol

I'm also scared to play the game on my Kuro Plasma :S

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Probably late on this, but I just discovered this video. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4M-HYusRpQ

idz0MG.gif

id3EU8.gif

idzsqk.gif

id3N1e.gif

idzyE8.gif

idzqic.gif

id3HcG.gif

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I think I have it figured out for the most part, but there are still some things about fusion I'm confused about. So, a few questions:

The in-game description makes a big deal about how fusions that mix opposites aren't that strong. At first I thought it meant that like...individual personas have some sort of innate affinity for physical attacks, healing, elemental magic, or whatever, and if those personas get a skill via fusion that doesn't jive with their natural preference, that skill won't be that powerful. But this doesn't seem to be the case. So, does it instead mean that a persona that naturally learns one type of thing will be less likely to inherit a skill from an opposite skillset?

Also, there's a big chart in the manual about how fusing personas of this arcana and that arcana will net a persona of a certain other arcana. That's all well and good, but what reason would I have to create a persona with a specific arcana?

Am I daft, or does the game not explain this stuff very well?

Curufinwe

You can read all about fusing in the Velvet Room, but it's not required.

I just concentrated on fusing Personas of arcanas where I had made good progress in the corresponding S.Link so I would get nice experience boosts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lost Fragment said:
I think I have it figured out for the most part, but there are still some things about fusion I'm confused about. So, a few questions:

The in-game description makes a big deal about how fusions that mix opposites aren't that strong. At first I thought it meant that like...individual personas have some sort of innate affinity for physical attacks, healing, elemental magic, or whatever, and if those personas get a skill via fusion that doesn't jive with their natural preference, that skill won't be that powerful. But this doesn't seem to be the case. So, does it instead mean that a persona that naturally learns one type of thing will be less likely to inherit a skill from an opposite skillset?

Also, there's a big chart in the manual about how fusing personas of this arcana and that arcana will net a persona of a certain other arcana. That's all well and good, but what reason would I have to create a persona with a specific arcana?

Am I daft, or does the game not explain this stuff very well?

1) Yes. In fact, some Personas cannot inherit some specific skills.

2) Most of the time its for bonuses. It's just for reference anyway, since you get a similar chart in the game during fusion as well.

pirata said:
Yes, one of the translators mentioned that it's a reference to that famous GAF post.

That's awesome. This game definitely has a great localization.
Back on topic now, I just beat the game (with the true ending) and now I'd like to play Persona 3 but I don't have a PSP... is it okay to play P3 FES after P4 ? Is it not going to be too frustrating (no direct command...) ?

Yaweee

LordPhoque said:
Back on topic now, I just beat the game (with the true ending) and now I'd like to play Persona 3 but I don't have a PSP... is it okay to play P3 FES after P4 ? Is it not going to be too frustrating (no direct command...) ?

I'm P3P's biggest cheerleader, so I'm going to say wait until you can eventually play that. Direct Command is a huge difference, but P3P fixed and improved many, many issues the game had.

I'm currently watching the Persona 4 Endurance Run from Jeff and Vinny from Giantbomb and it's pretty weird, I love watching them play the game and talk about it, but I don't feel like I would enjoy playing it a lot. Also, I can skip over some of the more boring grinding parts.

ultron87

LordPhoque said:

You should have a really good grasp of the combat system at this point (though P3 has a few small differences). So the non-direct command shouldn't bother you that much.

At least it didn't to me, since you realize "oh, I can do most of the work with my main character, when it really matters."

Once you get the "knockdown" tactic, you can generally make them do what you need them to do.

Go_Ly_Dow

LordPhoque said:

I have played both versions fully and this is my opinion.

P3P will offer much better gameplay enhancements as seen in P4 and this includes full character control, more streamlined and connected menu's, some social link enhances and other small tweaks.

What P3P does wrong is destroy a lot of the immersion and atmosphere that the original P3:FES offers.

All animated cutscenes from P3:FES have been replaced with still slideshow images and this takes away a lot from the atmosphere.

Also outside of the dungeon you cant run around the environments and instead you just control a cursor over a 2d drawn map image of the environments. Instead of NPC's you just click on silhouettes. Also the character model animations are completely gone and this takes away a lot as well. It killed the immersion for me.

I played P3:FES after P4 and I was able to adjust to the gameplay downgrades quickly.

The AI can be frustrating at times but it never was bad enough to lose me a fight and the majority of the time the battles played out exactly how I wanted them to.

M_Night said:
I have played both versions fully and this is my opinion.

P3P will offer much better gameplay enhancements as seen in P4 and this includes full character control, more streamlined and connected menu's, some social link enhances and other small tweaks.

What P3P does wrong is destroy a lot of the immersion and atmosphere that the original P3:FES offers.

All animated cutscenes from P3:FES have been replaced with still slideshow images and this takes away a lot from the atmosphere.

Also outside of the dungeon you cant run around the environments and instead you just control a cursor over a 2d drawn map image of the environments. Instead of NPC's you just click on silhouettes. Also the character model animations are completely gone and this takes away a lot as well. It killed the immersion for me.

I played P3:FES after P4 and I was able to adjust to the gameplay downgrades quickly.

The AI can be frustrating at times but it never was bad enough to lose me a fight and the majority of the time the battles played out exactly how I wanted them to.

Thanks for the answer. According to your post (and the others too) I should play P3 FES and then P3P (buying a NGP day one)

Vhalyar

M_Night said:
I'll echo that. I'm 30 hours into P3P and I'm very happy to have played FES before, because holy crap P3P feels lifeless.

ultron87

Vhalyar said:
I'll echo that. I'm 30 hours into P3P and I'm very happy to have played FES before, because holy crap P3P feels lifeless.

I can't even imagine how the talking heads must ruin a few of the animated scenes from FES.

rivals

M_Night said:

This really can't be stated enough. I played FES before P3P and I wouldn't have it any other way. I was pretty surprised at how big of a difference it was not having the animation and the actual exploring in P3P. I also struggled a little more with the camera angles in Tartarus I think, it was harder for me to get the advantage on P3P than it was in FES, but it's been a long time since I played FES so I can't remember exactly what's different about it.

Vhalyar

ultron87 said:
I can't even imagine how the talking heads must ruin a few of the animated scenes from FES.
It hits pretty hard right from the start. Everything is still, no movement, nothing. The first Elizabeth date just hammers that in.

rivals said:
I also struggled a little more with the camera angles in Tartarus I think, it was harder for me to get the advantage on P3P than it was in FES, but it's been a long time since I played FES so I can't remember exactly what's different about it.
That's because you can only use the triggers to move the camera instead of a stick, on top of having a fixed camera angle. It's way slower to pan the camera around. It'd have been nice if you could reset the camera behind your character; technically you can, but it's poorly done and annoying.

Even with all that I still love P3P. The female MC stuff is interesting and the combat is fantastic. But I would still play FES first.

Yaweee

ultron87 said:

They did really cheap out with the animation at times, but I think people are overstating the 'lifelessness'. To me, the character artwork and voice acting did most of the emotional work in P3 and P4, and the additional character portraits (somewhere around 40~50 new portraits) and extra voice acting help compensated for some of the corners ATLUS cut in P3P.

I also thought the MShe's S. Link and social aspects were the best in the series, at least mechanically. I got extremely bored in the earlier versions of P3 due to the lopsidedness of the S. Links, and having virtually nothing to do at night.

Also, the game was dramatically sped up. Instant text speed, faster dialogue boxes, faster and more responsive interface, faster map movement, the ability to 'dash' on the world map like in most of the SMT games, the shortcut button (functioning far, far better than it did in P4), and nearly instant load times made it the smoothest experience in the entire Persona series.

I had serious problems with P3 and FES, but found P3P to be the best game in the series and one of the best RPGs that I've played in years.

Top Bottom