• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
ultron87 said:
If I recall correctly, you talk to some girls in school and they tell you they saw Kanji making some trouble somewhere. You go confront him about it in the practice building and the social link gets rolling.

Did you miss Kanji's but still manage to start Naoto's? That seems like the most easily missable one of the main party.

Nope, didn't start Naoto's either. My maxed S.Links were Yukiko, Chie, Yosuke, Teddie, Nana-chan, and Dojima. I was at level 9 with the soccer team.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mo the Hawk said:
I'm no Rise fan, but you can't single her out as an anime cliche and let the rest of the cast off the hook. As if an anthropomorphic bear costume come to life is any less bizarre (and arguably just as annoying).

Teddie being the "team pet" is amusing to me. But Teddie is one of my favorite characters in the Persona 4 cast. Probably because his corny lines make me groan and roll my eyes while chuckling.

"Strip... like what a zebra has.":lol

And yeah, the rest of the cast maybe a cliche, but they aren't as apparent as Rise. Rise is the "popular girl that hopes to be with the main character" cliche, or the other way around ("main character wants to be with her")

Red Scarlet said:
Getting better...

What do you want from me Scarlet? A total trolling of the game and me ending with "Persona 3 is better. CommanderShepard'SuckItHaters'.gif?" :p

I AM JOHN! said:
PS: shut your whore mouth, tomboys are the best. And that is only part of why Chie is my waifu. >:|

That's okay, we'll just agree to disagree and I'll sigh and wish Yosuke would stop being an idiot and just say he's gay for me. :D

Ultron87 said:
TheSeks, I think you might be the first person I've ever seen that actually wanted P3's method of party control in P4.

I'm one of the rare few that enjoys FFXII/FFVIII and the likes battle system/idiosyncracies. I'm a weird person when it comes to my JRPG enjoyment. I can't stand being with the "majority" on things, as that isn't how the genre "evolves" for me. (Like FF being HURP LOVE STORY for about 4-8 games)

Minamu said:
Are we still debating who'd be the best girlfriend?

Persona: We went from Hitler to Waifu's in under three outings.

ultron87 said:
So in P3:FES I'm about 15 hours in
(just got Fuuka, she isn't annoying as people say she is)
, this is when the story gets interesting, right? Please?

I honestly couldn't tell you at this point whether it's at 15 hours or 20 hours. I just know that for the first N hours, I was really wondering why I'm playing this game; nothing was happening. However, then the social links started getting interesting, Junpei's psychodrama started, and things got creepier and creepier. Then in the last 3rd of the game, shit really really hit the fan, to culminate in one of the best endings I've seen in a game. (Even the "bad" ending is extremely well done but depressing.)

So while it took a while to get going, it got better and better. In the end, it was easily one of the best stories I've seen in games.

Red Scarlet

Ermac said:
Nope, didn't start Naoto's either. My maxed S.Links were Yukiko, Chie, Yosuke, Teddie, Nana-chan, and Dojima. I was at level 9 with the soccer team.
You didn't beat the game. :(

TheSeks said:
What do you want from me Scarlet? A total trolling of the game and me ending with "Persona 3 is better. CommanderShepard'SuckItHaters'.gif?" :p

I already said.

TheSeks said:
But, Rise really isn't all that awesome... :|
Agreed. Compared to Yukiko or Naoto with a Chakra Ring. Rise does get better if you raise her social link, and even max it, but that's it. :| At the end, my party was Brosuke, Kanji and either Yukiko or Teddie. Too bad healers even with max social link still retain their weakness. Brosuke is my jack of all trades, while Teddie can be caster or support.
I still like P3 over P4 camp as well, both are great.

Uncle AJ

zerokoolpsx said:
Agreed. Compared to Yukiko or Naoto with a Chakra Ring. Rise does get better if you raise her social link, and even max it, but that's it. :| At the end, my party was Brosuke, Kanji and either Yukiko or Teddie. Too bad healers even with max social link still retain their weakness. Brosuke is my jack of all trades, while Teddie can be caster or support.
I still like P3 over P4 camp as well, both are great.

You're speaking as if Rise is a front-line party member... which she should be, so stop confusing me.

I'm telling ya: P4 FES with playable Rise. She can fill in the strong Electric magic and enemy debuff voids the other members lack. It'd be nice to not have to stack my MC's roster with debuff spells just because he's the only one capable.

Mo the Hawk said:
It'd be nice to not have to stack my MC's roster with debuff spells just because he's the only one capable.

Naoto really should have had one of those(Rakunda preferably).

I don't need two sword moves anyway.

Red Scarlet said:
you...you...argh

Don't worry, I got it:

2hwo4ec_th.gif

Red Scarlet

Mo the Hawk said:
that's cute how you think you can tell people what to think with that blue username of yours

I don't think I told people what to think when it was red, at least I hope not. I was never into the whole "make them fear you" crap.

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 15 seconds.

??????

Victrix

*beard*
I started playing this a few weeks ago, and I'm currently running around inside Rise (... wait)

I want to punch whatever designer ok'd this music :|

10th floor, thank god I'm almost done.

Only other SMT experience I had before this was DDS1, which I didn't enjoy, and I'm currently playing Devil Survivor, which I do enjoy.

Combat in P4 is faaaaaast though, I seem to remember it being fairly plodding in DDS.

Anyway, pretty good stuff so far, now to go finish off the untz untz untz untz untz dungeon.

Uncle AJ

Victrix said:
I want to punch whatever designer ok'd this music :|

:O

I listened to the soundtrack between classes all the time, and I'm trying to learn a few songs for drum covers. If you're just talking about the generic techno beat they play in the Rise dungeon, that's fine, but that better be all.

Mo the Hawk said:
:O

I listened to the soundtrack between classes all the time, and I'm trying to learn a few songs for drum covers. If you're just talking about the generic techno beat they play in the Rise dungeon, that's fine, but that better be all.

Hmm. The only song I really like is the one that plays outside the dungeons in the TV world. "Watcha gonna do when it's time to come up" and so on. Amusingly, that's the song which didn't come on the CD with the game.

The music in this game is fine but not really something I feel like listening to outside the game.

Persona 3 had some kickass tracks, on the other hand. The end boss music... sooooo good. Especially when the vocals from the Velvet Room are sung over some metal riffing. Oh yeah.

TheSeks

Red Scarlet said:
you...you...argh

:3

No, but really. Rise isn't a bad character, but I have no strong opinion of her yet, given it's been a week or two in-game-time since she's joined the party full-time.

Edit: And other than her sucking at the Fuuka role (full analyze for LYFE), she's a better commentator in battle than Fuuka was.

"Alright! Enemy knocked down. Go for broke, Teddie!~"

Edit 2: And her sucking up to me. I know that's common in Japan (at least respecting your "upper classmen"), but it annoys me all the same.

Speaking of music, Mass Destruction is the worse thing I have ever heard. I play P3 on mute because of it.

I'd trade it for the whole P3 OST being variants of Your Affection.

TheSeks

toasty_T said:
Speaking of music, Mass Destruction is the worse thing I have ever heard. I play P3 on mute because of it.

I'd trade it for the whole P3 OST being variants of Your Affection.

But when would you never feel like...
BAH-BAH-BAH-BAH-DAH-DAH-DAH DAH.
B-B-B-BABY BABY BABY~?

Blueblur1

I understand how someone may not like Mass Destruction. It doesn't really seem to be a fitting battle track and it can be annoying or annoyingly catchy. I feel that it does fit with the rest Persona 3's eclectic soundtrack though. Personally, I love it. :)

And I don't mind Lotus Juice at all. ;)

Jerk

Banned
Dresden said:
Your Affection is still my favorite track out of P4. It's so happy and cheery.

Yeah, it is also one of my favorites.

I still prefer, 'Almighty', 'I'll Face Myself' and 'The Genesis' more though.

And 'Heaven' of course.

hampig

My favorite is backside of the tv, I believe that's the name anyways. But hey, have a small question, hoping you guys could clear this up, let me sleep tonight. I just bought a 80gb bc ps3, circumstances made it impossible to get the 60, just go with it. But I'm wondering, does this game run fine on the 80? The ps3 is formatting right now, and a friend of mine has my copy of P4 so I can't check myself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No love for Reach Out to the Truth? I could have the song on infinite loop and it wouldn't bother me... the game has trained me well. :lol

TheSeks

Alright, so I got to the top of the
Void Dungeon
. However, I can't do the boss: Why? Because I'm forgetting a stupid item in my rush up to the top like Persona 3 practically drills into your head. *mumble grumble*

Is there an option in the options menu to see the dungeon + floor number like there was perma-on in Persona 3? Might seem like a stupid question, but I don't want to mentally count from floor 15 back to 7 while worrying about dodging enemies and managing MP if I can.

TheSeks

firehawk12 said:
I don't think so... but it tells you what floor you're on when you enter a floor, doesn't it?

If there is one, I haven't seen it.

Like I said, it's a minor gripe (and really, this is the time where they suddenly want an item to continue? FFS, Atlus. :|), just curious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TheSeks said:

Like I said, it's a minor gripe (and really, this is the time where they suddenly want an item to continue? FFS, Atlus. :|), just curious.

Oh yeah, I think that happens a couple of times in P4 too, so you may want to watch out for that.

Swordian

TheSeks said:

Normally they force to you fight a mini boss to get the item to continue. In Void Quest they don't, so if you skip the mini boss you have to go back.

Are you playing on a PS3 or a PS2? On PS2, the dungeon name/floor are always listed in the bottom left.

lljride

Mo the Hawk said:
So apparently the band who does Persona Music Live not only did another concert recently, but also put out an album full of awesome re-arangements of P3, P4 and P3P songs. I've been listening to this pretty much all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-TGK7tvmrQ

So kickass.

Awesome, just sampled them all and everyone is incredible. Play Asia has the live version at least, will get that if a studio version isn't released soon.

TheSeks

Swordian said:
Are you playing on a PS3 or a PS2? On PS2, the dungeon name/floor are always listed in the bottom left.

PS3. Which I guess is the issue: Emulation problem for software based 80 gigs (MGS4 bundle). :/

Also get random "save failed/there is no memory card inserted" issues while playing some PS2 games on the PS3 (like Persona 3/4) scares the hell out of me, I've only had Persona 3's save corrupt (thankfully I made backups, the save was able to load despite being "corrupted") but yeah... what the hell.

Also I'm stuck on
Shadow Mitsuo
, fucking asshole gets two turns to build their shell and that's when my party (Me, Brosuke, Teddie, Kanji) starts to fall apart as we can generally destroy the shell before the second part happens, but with two of them it's within two turns that they fully get their shell and "level up" destroying my party. :|

Is there a way to stop that two-turn build? Why is that happening anyway? It's pretty unfair and there is no excuse (doing an attack/healing/whatever) that makes it happen. :/

ultron87

That Reach Out to the Truth arrange is awesome!

I've listened to an amazing amount of Persona music lately since I finally started listening to P3 Reincarnation (which is also incredible).

And to the boss problem in the post above, do you have a Black Frost? Investing in one helps a lot in that fight.

Yaweee

TheSeks said:
PS3. Which I guess is the issue: Emulation problem for software based 80 gigs (MGS4 bundle). :/

Also get random "save failed/there is no memory card inserted" issues while playing some PS2 games on the PS2 (like Persona 3/4) scares the hell out of me, I've only had Persona 3's save corrupt (thankfully I made backups, the save was able to load despite being "corrupted") but yeah... what the hell.

Also I'm stuck on
Shadow Mitsuo
, fucking asshole gets two turns to build their shell and that's when my party (Me, Brosuke, Teddie, Kanji) start to fall apart as we can generally destroy the shell before the second part happens, but with two of them it's within two turns that they fully get their shell and "level up" destroying my party. :|

Is there a way to stop that two-turn build? Why is that happening anyway? It's pretty unfair and there is no excuse (doing an attack/healing/whatever) that makes it happen. :/

It's a known issue with the PS3 emulation that your location text won't display while dungeon crawling.

For the boss fight you're on, I'd recommend gaining 2 or 3 levels if you are having a problem breaking through the build in time. Level matters a lot in the SMT games, and just a few can make a huge difference.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
TheSeks said:

Also get random "save failed/there is no memory card inserted" issues while playing some PS2 games on the PS3 (like Persona 3/4) scares the hell out of me, I've only had Persona 3's save corrupt (thankfully I made backups, the save was able to load despite being "corrupted") but yeah... what the hell.

Also I'm stuck on
Shadow Mitsuo
, fucking asshole gets two turns to build their shell and that's when my party (Me, Brosuke, Teddie, Kanji) starts to fall apart as we can generally destroy the shell before the second part happens, but with two of them it's within two turns that they fully get their shell and "level up" destroying my party. :|

I'm on a 60GB launch system, and I've gotten the ""save failed/save corrupted" issue a couple times in P4. Scared the crap put of me as well.

TheSeks

Yaweee said:
For the boss fight you're on, I'd recommend gaining 2 or 3 levels if you are having a problem breaking through the build in time. Level matters a lot in the SMT games, and just a few can make a huge difference.

What level do you recommend. My party is around 37-39. :/

Yaweee

TheSeks said:
What level do you recommend. My party is around 37-39. :/

According to a FAQ, he's level 45, which places you at a significant penalty to both your damage dealt and damage received.

You probably could do it at your level with better equipment selection or Personas, but you'll be amazed what just a few levels can do if you're that close to the boss' level.

TheSeks said:

Also I'm stuck on
Shadow Mitsuo

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Frost Trust me.

Yaweee

SatelliteOfLove said:
http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Frost Trust me.

Yes, that too. If you can level it enough to both get Fire Amp, Agidyne, and equip another +Fire damage accessory/skill, you should be able to blast the fuck out of the boss.

God, playing Persona 3 Portable reminds me how much better this game is in every way. I really want to replay it. It'd be my fifth time. :lol

Top Bottom