• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

totowhoa

Banned
I loved FES, but didn't bother with P3P. The AI is both good and bad. Good in that it's predictable, I suppose. You can always influence the AI to act how you want it to just fine. It makes it pretty strategic for some battles. Every once in a while, somebody like Mistuo (fuck her) will just some horrible status-altering spell on foes that aren't susceptible to it... and do it over and over :( That's why I didn't use her much, heh. You'll get a feel for it.

Personally, I like P3 just as much as P4. The AI is pretty good, and it makes the fights play out a lot differently IMO. It's a ton of fun. It's also way easier to finish a dungeon in one day in P3 than in P4, since P4 required you to grind for Archana Chances or spend a shitload of money to do it.

Go_Ly_Dow

ultron87 said:
I can't even imagine how the talking heads must ruin a few of the animated scenes from FES.

Not just the animated scenes but also how the actual character model express themselves through animation. Like how the character models move there arms, jump and all that kind of stuff.

I must come across as some P3P hater but I love it and would recommend it, especially if you cant play PS2 games.

TheExodu5

Banned
So all day I've been in a little bit of a gaming depression as I just couldn't figure out to play (even though I have hundreds of unfinished games just waiting...).

Then I listened to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=463Us587Z9o

It occurred to me that I still haven't beaten Persona 4! I'm in December. I had to stop a year and a half ago when my last semester of university really ramped up.

I'm doing this! I'm pumped! Let's go! SUKUKAJA

Go_Ly_Dow

TheExodu5 said:
So all day I've been in a little bit of a gaming depression as I just couldn't figure out to play (even though I have hundreds of unfinished games just waiting...).

Then I listened to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=463Us587Z9o

It occurred to me that I still haven't beaten Persona 4! I'm in December. I had to stop a year and a half ago when my last semester of university really ramped up.

I'm doing this! I'm pumped! Let's go! SUKUKAJA

Heaven is probably my favorite track in the game. So nice and calm, very fitting =)

Check out the live and band versions as well.

Persona Live Band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6DH89o4yT8

Heaven Performed Live (35 secs) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7briKHhaeWg

Oh and I would love to be in your shoes right now and experience this game first time again. It was actually a year from this month when I first played it and the Persona series in general.

MechaX

RiderKairuu said:
I need to get back to this. I was pretty much 40 hours in before I stopped! I was a little after the Game Dungeon

The stretch from the Game Dungeon to the next dungeon is pretty long and uneventful. There's one particularly hilarious event, but the stretch is pretty bad (I'm talking like Persona 3 December bad). But after that, the game picks up at lightning speed right up to the very end of the game.

Yaweee

MechaX said:
The stretch from the Game Dungeon to the next dungeon is pretty long and uneventful. There's one particularly hilarious event, but the stretch is pretty bad (I'm talking like Persona 3 December bad). But after that, the game picks up at lightning speed right up to the very end of the game.

I agree with this. P3 dumped its huge boring section at the end (~3 months without story bosses), while P4 dumps it all during summer, with very, very, short breaks between the final few dungeons.

.JayZii

Banned
I'm in a very Persona mood this evening so I think I'll pop in either FES or 4. I don't know what it is about the recent Persona games but I find them extremely comforting.

I really hope Atlus will announce Persona 5 soon so I can play a Persona game with gorgeous Catherine-esque graphics. I wonder what 5's color will be; 3 blue, 4 yellow, 5
GREEN

RedSwirl

Yaweee said:
You probably aren't at the point of having to re-organize your party. The last dungeon is really no more difficult than the previous one, so any persona you used before are probably still good.

Yeah but I just got access to a shitload of new personas. I can't remember if I even have Trumpeter.

Plus, I'm not really THAT great at SMT. It probably took me around a dozen tries to beat the boss of the previous dungeon.

I actually beat this game for the first time about a month and a half ago. Totally one of the best RPGs I've experienced, and the last boss was my favorite of any in the genre.

Persona 3's Tartarus had a pretty good music selection, but each dungeon's theme has such a wonderfully memorable style in Persona 4. Making my way to the finale and listening to Corridor was great. The dreamy, melancholy vibe built up the tension perfectly.

Big fan of the game but not really sure what you find so amazing about the final boss TBH. Persona 3... now that was a great final battle. This... meh.

RedRedSuit said:
Big fan of the game but not really sure what you find so amazing about the final boss TBH. Persona 3... now that was a great final battle. This... meh.

Genesis>Battle for Everyone's Soul

Also, P3's final boss was WAY too long.

cosmicblizzard said:
Genesis>Battle for Everyone's Soul

Nonsense. The P3 end boss music is the best piece of music in any of the games in the series.

Also, P3's final boss was WAY too long.

Perhaps. It felt about right to me, given that you're fighting
the absolute end of all things
. At least it was suitably epic, location + atmosphere + music.

TheExodu5

Banned
Went through Heaven again to get the Chakra Ring (half SP cost).

Will be doing the final dungeon tomorrow. My party:

Main character
Yosuke
Naoto
Yukiko

Naoto will get the Chakra ring and become a center of Megidolon devastation. Chie would probably be more useful for boss battles...but I don't feel like getter her level up to par (she's about 15 levels behind).

I will be making Trumpeter tomorrow...seems like the best Persona I can make at this point. When can I make the Personas I unlocked with maxed S.Links? I don't see them in any of the fuse lists yet.

dekjo

TheExodu5 said:
Megidolon
Not a fan. Too much, for too little. [avatar quote]

TheExodu5 said:
I will be making Trumpeter tomorrow...seems like the best Persona I can make at this point. When can I make the Personas I unlocked with maxed S.Links? I don't see them in any of the fuse lists yet.
What level are you? Should be able to unlock some of the S.Link personas if you're the right level and have the right personas.

I need to complete this. I far as I can remember I think I have rescued Naoto and am just a few days past that. Not sure why I put it down but it has been at least a month since I have played. v_v I think I am going to go back as no this gen RPGs can make me happy. But with Persona 4 I can't think of any complaints except for the fact I haven't completed it. :3

Just a quick question, is it worth settling on a final party now. I think I am nearing the end, if my knowledge of the GiantBomb endurence run is correct. So far I haven't stuck to one team but I have maxed out a few of there social links, I'm pretty sure Chie's, Yukiko's, Yosuke's are maxed and Kanji's is near completion. Is there a 'best' team or is it a matter of just playing it and see what happens? ^_^

Dresden

sammyCYBORG said:
I need to complete this. I far as I can remember I think I have rescued Naoto and am just a few days past that. Not sure why I put it down but it has been at least a month since I have played. v_v I think I am going to go back as no this gen RPGs can make me happy. But with Persona 4 I can't think of any complaints except for the fact I haven't completed it. :3

Just a quick question, is it worth settling on a final party now. I think I am nearing the end, if my knowledge of the GiantBomb endurence run is correct. So far I haven't stuck to one team but I have maxed out a few of there social links, I'm pretty sure Chie's, Yukiko's, Yosuke's are maxed and Kanji's is near completion. Is there a 'best' team or is it a matter of just playing it and see what happens? ^_^
I used Yosuke-Yukiko-Chie for my first playthrough. Generally:

--Kanji > Chie in physical damage until the very end, with the best of gear. I prefer Kanji.

--Naoto isn't very good.

--Yosuke is the most versatile character in the game. Good fit in any party.

Otherwise just use what you want.

Okay. Practically who I had been using mostly. Yukiko, Yosuke and Chie/Teddy to blast through the dungeon and Yukiko, Kanji, Yosuke/Teddy to beat up the boss.

Thanks for the quick reply! *Puts Persona face on*

overcast

I literally just ordered this from amazon. So it's a good thing this thread popped up. This game has a standalone story if I remember correctly? Is it a very difficult game?

I am ready for a lengthy jrpg, plus the hype around this is nice. So pretty excited for this one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
overcast said:
I literally just ordered this from amazon. So it's a good thing this thread popped up. This game has a standalone story if I remember correctly? Is it a very difficult game?

I am ready for a lengthy jrpg, plus the hype around this is nice. So pretty excited for this one.

It's mostly standalone. There's a P3 cameo and the Velvet Room is a P3 concept, but that's about it.

As for difficulty, the hardest part is getting the fusions right. Too bad Red Scarlet isn't around anymore though. :(

One thing to watch out for is that the game will eventually kill you with one hit if you're not careful. There is an easy difficulty that gives you 10 free lives and I recommend that if you don't want to deal with that frustration.

Go_Ly_Dow

overcast said:

Yeah it's standalone like the rest of the Persona series.

If its your first Persona then I would recommend playing it on the lowest difficulty setting.

overcast

M_Night said:
Yeah it's standalone like the rest of the Persona series.

If its your first Persona then I would recommend playing it on the lowest difficulty setting.
Thanks for the responses guys. I will start on the lowest difficulty. May not be ready for intense difficulty yet. Glad to see it's a standalone plot, can't wait to go through it.

TheExodu5

Banned
p4inMI.png

Forecast: Dense Fog Advisory

Oh! This thread was bumped?

I'm considering getting this game soon, since I'm a decent jRPG fan. Does this thread have a lot of spoilers? Should I get out of here? Or you guys think it's worth reading through?

SciencePilot said:

I'm considering getting this game soon, since I'm a decent jRPG fan. Does this thread have a lot of spoilers? Should I get out of here? Or you guys think it's worth reading through?
Get off GAF, and don't come back until you've beat the game.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
firehawk12 said:
As for difficulty, the hardest part is getting the fusions right. Too bad Red Scarlet isn't around anymore though. :(

So what happened to Red Scarlet again? I was just thinkin it's weird that i haven't seen around.

Go_Ly_Dow

SciencePilot said:

What he/she said above. Get the game and stay away from all things Persona related on forums and youtube.

To those of you who have completed the game would you consider it a spoiler letting people know that
the game has multiple endings that can all be obtained in one play through
?

M_Night said:
What he/she said above. Get the game and stay away from all things Persona related on forums and youtube.

To those of you who have completed the game would you consider it a spoiler letting people know that
?

No...people should know there's a True Ending because otherwise people would totally skip it since it's not such an obvious thing to get...

Also many games have different endings, I don't see why saying a game has multiple endings would be much of a spoiler...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Gexecuter said:
So what happened to Red Scarlet again? I was just thinkin it's weird that i haven't seen around.

She decided to leave the forums after some shitty stuff went down (I think something involving her fellow mods but I'm not entirely sure) Sucks since she was one of the better posters here, particularly when it came to japanese games.

This thread reminds me that I still need to beat Persona 3 and SJ.

totowhoa

Banned
M_Night said:

?

Yeah, there's a true ending. IIRC, when you get to what you believe is going to be the final day, go to gameFAQs and look at all the random crap you have to do that day in order to activate the true ending path so you can figure out the plot in its whole + another dungeon + an epic final boss fight and total closure. There are a couple crap endings. One is obvious and occurs before this. See if if you want. Another is on this final day that is the ending any player would get if they weren't told how to activate the true ending path.

totowhoa

Banned
warpaint said:
i really need to play but should i play this before i finish P3P or after

Doesn't matter, they're all great games. Most of GAF will probably say P3P first since P4 is considered better. I never played P3P, but I played through P3 FES. I like both games pretty equally, with a slight edge to P4. If you're already playing P3P though, just finish that up so you're not juggling two long and involved RPGs. I don't think playing P4 first would hurt the experience of P3P or P3 FES too much since they play so differently, but I also played P3 first so I dunno.

RedRedSuit said:

I finished with the good ending first, and after a day or so I was told that I missed out on some more content, so jumping back into an awesome game I already beat to discover a new plot twist and finale was extremely satisfying.

The build-up to final encounter and the mythology behind it drew me in too. Then there's that awesome theme music and "uphill fight" atmosphere going on that made the climax of the battle and game totally impressive. Low on supplies and MP, the last few turns were down to the wire for me.

I agree when you say that Persona 3 had a good finish too of course.

warpaint said:
i really need to play but should i play this before i finish P3P or after

I finished P3P in early January and then jumped right into Persona 4. The transition was smooth and the differences in gameplay, style, and scope complemented what I enjoyed from the PSP game.

MechaX

RedRedSuit said:

Persona 3's final boss would have been great if it wasn't 30 minutes and the boss only goes from "brain dead easy" to "moderate challenge" 20 minutes in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Octorockin' said:
I finished P3P in early January and then jumped right into Persona 4. The transition was smooth and the differences in gameplay, style, and scope complemented what I enjoyed from the PSP game.
It's because P3P brought in many of the P4 improvements, namely the ability to control your party members.
I do miss the ability to just send your dudes out and have them fight enemies on their own though.

.JayZii

Banned
MechaX said:
Persona 3's final boss would have been great if it wasn't 30 minutes and the boss only goes from "brain dead easy" to "moderate challenge" 20 minutes in.

There's nothing quite like dying 30 minutes into a boss battle.

.JayZii

Banned
So how large of a company is Atlus Japan? As in, about how many teams do they have working on projects at a time? I've never been clear on this since they are portrayed as a small niche company but they manage to put out a lot of games in pretty quick succession.

Do you think there has been a team working on Persona 5 since 4, or have all the big guns been working on Catherine?
Clearly I am starved for information on 5.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Persona team was working on Catherine, I think?
At one point there was a team for P3P, but I think they've since been merged back into the main Persona team.

Either way, the fact that there was a "new character" at the end of P3P hints at a continuation of the franchise in some form anyway.

Yaweee

firehawk12 said:
The Persona team was working on Catherine, I think?
At one point there was a team for P3P, but I think they've since been merged back into the main Persona team.

Either way, the fact that there was a "new character" at the end of P3P hints at a continuation of the franchise in some form anyway.

Atlus seems pretty fluid as far as development "teams" are concerned, thought I know there are others out there that know more about this than me.

A few tidbits about recent development:

- Catherine was by parts of (most?) the Persona team, and have hinted they were working on Persona 5 at the same time, but never directly said "Persona 5".
- The Social Link director from P3/4 directed P3P
- Meguro (composer) directed P1P and P2ISP, but still composes for other stuff at the same time (Catherine)
- Devil Survivor was directed by the former director the Growlanser games

I have absolutely no clue how separate or distinct the Trauma team is.

And what 'new' character in P3P are you talking about? Vincent from Catherine had a cameo in the game. The best hint for more Persona is the comments of various people related to the series. However, there's a always a bit of confusion due to various sights running old or mistranslated information.

EDIT: There's also some interesting artwork in a Soejima artbook from last year that seems to be Persona themed (central guy holding a mask), but doesn't feature any immediately recognizable characters).

Top Bottom