• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Go_Ly_Dow

Totobeni said:
Isn't that the infamous Gamebryo?

Indeed but it looks fine on Catherine, especially the in-engine cutscenes.

Gamebyro has its flaws but I guess it depends how its used and it seems like it works well with Catherine.

.JayZii

Banned
I wonder if they'll opt to use character portraits for dialogue in future entries? Better graphics make them less necessary, but I would miss them I think.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yaweee said:
And what 'new' character in P3P are you talking about? Vincent from Catherine had a cameo in the game. The best hint for more Persona is the comments of various people related to the series. However, there's a always a bit of confusion due to various sights running old or mistranslated information.
Oh, was that the same Vincent? I thought it was someone else. :lol

Yaweee

firehawk12 said:
Oh, was that the same Vincent? I thought it was someone else. :lol

Nope, same guy, even giving hints about Catherine's plot (he discusses cheating on his girlfriend, weird dreams, and rumors about what happens to people that die in them).

You don't even need to beat the game to complete the dialogue chain. Just talk to him frequently.

MechaX said:
Persona 3's final boss would have been great if it wasn't 30 minutes and the boss only goes from "brain dead easy" to "moderate challenge" 20 minutes in.

P3's boss would have been great if there was some way to exploit One More.

But, like with most of the late game bosses, no weaknesses = play like standard TBRPG.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yaweee said:
Nope, same guy, even giving hints about Catherine's plot (he discusses cheating on his girlfriend, weird dreams, and rumors about what happens to people that die in them).
Aww, too bad. I thought he'd be hinting at the next game where you have to hop into people's dreams, Inception/Paprika style. Then again, I guess I never went back to look at it ever since I finished the game.

ashk

Totobeni said:
Isn't that the infamous Gamebryo?

Gamebryo gets a bad rap because of Oblivion/Fallout 3. There are quite a few games that use it and don't look bad at all (Civ IV, Warhammer Online, Morrowind...).

overcast said:
Thanks for the responses guys. I will start on the lowest difficulty. May not be ready for intense difficulty yet. Glad to see it's a standalone plot, can't wait to go through it.

Actually, the difficulty settings upon first starting the game only affect whether you get ten "extra chances" or not. If you die on the easy setting, you can be revived up to ten times over the course of the game. If you're on normal and you die, you lose all progress since your last save.

I played through on the normal setting, but I recommend anybody picking up Persona 4 play through on the easy one, simply because there's nothing more annoying than losing hours of progress because an enemy got a lucky insta-kill attack in.

MechaX said:
Persona 3's final boss would have been great if it wasn't 30 minutes and the boss only goes from "brain dead easy" to "moderate challenge" 20 minutes in.

It really depends on how levelled up you are by that point. I had killed the Reaper and was thus easily able to level up in Monad, so it was cake, but if you don't do that it's a tough fight after the first few arcana.

Octorockin' said:
I finished with the good ending first, and after a day or so I was told that I missed out on some more content, so jumping back into an awesome game I already beat to discover a new plot twist and finale was extremely satisfying.

The build-up to final encounter and the mythology behind it drew me in too. Then there's that awesome theme music and "uphill fight" atmosphere going on that made the climax of the battle and game totally impressive. Low on supplies and MP, the last few turns were down to the wire for me.

Ah. Well, I agree the whole twist for the "true" ending was cool. Just not so sure about the fight itself. Then again, I was rather obscenely overpowered at the time.

Chris R

Just finished watching the Giant Bomb endurance run. I'm assuming they got the BEST ending? Looks like a fun game, and I loved the story/SLs (off to youtube the ones they didn't cap) but Vinny and Jeff made it much harder than it needed to be by simply not being that good at RPG games :p

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
rhfb said:
Just finished watching the Giant Bomb endurance run. I'm assuming they got the BEST ending? Looks like a fun game, and I loved the story/SLs (off to youtube the ones they didn't cap) but Vinny and Jeff made it much harder than it needed to be by simply not being that good at RPG games :p

Was the last boss a giant eye or another type of enemy? (not gonna spoil it) Giant eye, they got the good ending but not the best, another enemy, they got the best.

matmanx1

Man I really need to finish Persona 4 one of these days. I've still got a couple of PS2 games hanging around waiting on completion (P4 and Tales of the Abyss, namely) and I just need to man up and do it.

If I remember right I was in Naoto's "dungeon" when I last played and had already maxed several of my team's SL's. Once I get out of the ridiculousness that is March (for game releases) I think I will put it on the fast track to completion for late spring.

I'm currently at 52 hours in my current playthrough, though I'm at Naoto's dungeon just gathering stuff for the quests. I can see that time racking up as I'm quite underlevelled, and I can waste so much time doing nothing. ^_^

Curufinwe

Sub_Level said:
Was the last boss a giant eye or another type of enemy? (not gonna spoil it) Giant eye, they got the good ending but not the best, another enemy, they got the best.

They got the best ending.

TheExodu5

Banned
Finally beat it. 117 hours. Probably a decent amount of afk time on that though.

The final boss wasn't too hard. I died once because I didn't realize the boss would do a status ailment and insta kill combo if you didn't guard after a mind charge.

True ending

Used Trumpeter (Debilitate) and Hachiman (Taru, Null lightning, Enduring Soul) mostly. Yosuke and Yukiko were doing about 450 damage per spell with the buffs/debuffs up. Naoto was not as useful, but was doing 650 damage mind charges. Not too bad. Finished at level 85 on MC, 82 on the other 3.

I just finished Persona 3 Portable, and I have to say that it must have been one of the best RPGs I've played. Does anyone know if they are planning a Persona 4 Portable, either for PSP or 3DS? I don't really feel like re-buying a PS2 just for one game (plus, I prefer playing as the female main character).

Neon_Icarus said:
I just finished Persona 3 Portable, and I have to say that it must have been one of the best RPGs I've played. Does anyone know if they are planning a Persona 4 Portable, either for PSP or 3DS? I don't really feel like re-buying a PS2 just for one game (plus, I prefer playing as the female main character).

Go watch the Persona 3 Ending on Youtube, and appreciate the finer details to the ending that only a video can offer :D

Yaweee

Neon_Icarus said:

No announced plans. Oneof P3P's best parts was incorporating many of P4's gameplay improvements over the original P3. I'd rather see them wait until P5 and P2ISP and P2EPP are out and then decide whether they have enough to add to P4 to warrant another version. The speed improvements and alternate MC are nice, but the more added the better.

Neon_Icarus said:

Exact same position. P3P was my first Persona game, and I enjoyed it despite not liking RPGs all that much. Though, I feel like I missed some of the story because of the PSP, or at least I'm not all sure what happened in the game, especially the ending.

brianmcdoogle said:
Exact same position. P3P was my first Persona game, and I enjoyed it despite not liking RPGs all that much. Though, I feel like I missed some of the story because of the PSP, or at least I'm not all sure what happened in the game, especially the ending.

Yeah, I think they replaced the FMV-cutscenes with in-game ones. Maybe it was because of the limited storage space or because all of these cutscenes only featured the male version of the main character...

I think you get a different ending depending on whether
you chose to kill Ryouji or not (on New Year's Eve)...If you keep him alive the game continues.
Maybe that's why you felt like you missed something? I think there are also some extra cutscenes in New Game+. I'm not going to play that for at least a year though...I spent an eternity on my first playthrough...

No, I
let him live
and I got the good ending, but...
End game spoiler:
the main character is dead, right? it fades to white as he closes his eyes. why did he die? Also, by missing some of the story, i think i mean the trips/hotspring/and such that are done with only VO and the still pictures of the characters and not any character models moving. That, and lack of cutscenes

Neon_Icarus said:
Yeah, I think they replaced the FMV-cutscenes with in-game ones. Maybe it was because of the limited storage space or because all of these cutscenes only featured the male version of the main character...

I think you get a different ending depending on whether...

I was just thinking, if I didn't just finish Persona 3 last week, I would be REALLY pissed that you spoiled that part for me. Edit your post please.

brianmcdoogle said:
No, I
let him live
and I got the good ending, but...
End game spoiler:
the main character is dead, right? it fades to white as he closes his eyes. why did he die? Also, by missing some of the story, i think i mean the trips/hotspring/and such that are done with only VO and the still pictures of the characters and not any character models moving. That, and lack of cutscenes

Oh yeah, I thought that was weird too.

End game spoiler:
It would make Aigis' final speech about staying with the main character and protecting him/her pretty meaningless if he/she was just going to die there.

Oh and sorry about the spoiler on my previous post. It's a pretty old game by now, so I thought it would be ok.

I've recently come under the impression that Teddy is useless. I've been rolling with MC/Teddy/Kanji/Yukiko for my main party and now I feel it may be too late to level anyone else up. Im in September 2011 right now, any opinions?

RiderKairuu said:
I've recently come under the impression that Teddy is useless. I've been rolling with MC/Teddy/Kanji/Yukiko for my main party and now I feel it may be too late to level anyone else up. Im in September 2011 right now, any opinions?

You've definitely got time to level up the rest of your party if you want to. There's still quite a bit of game left, plus lower leveled characters gain more EXP, so it's really never too late if you haven't just completely neglected someone.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
TheExodu5 said:
Finally beat it. 117 hours. Probably a decent amount of afk time on that though.

The final boss wasn't too hard. I died once because I didn't realize the boss would do a status ailment and insta kill combo if you didn't guard after a mind charge.

True ending

Used Trumpeter (Debilitate) and Hachiman (Taru, Null lightning, Enduring Soul) mostly. Yosuke and Yukiko were doing about 450 damage per spell with the buffs/debuffs up. Naoto was not as useful, but was doing 650 damage mind charges. Not too bad. Finished at level 85 on MC, 82 on the other 3.
Should've taken Chie along if you wanted to unload a ton of damage. Throw all the attack buffs you can on her and God's Hand will bring a whole lot of hurt.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
You've definitely got time to level up the rest of your party if you want to. There's still quite a bit of game left, plus lower leveled characters gain more EXP, so it's really never too late if you haven't just completely neglected someone.
Hmm..I'll give that a try thanks!

Edit: swapped out Teddy for Yosuke and going through Naotos dungeon. This music is awesome.

Finished the quest section and optional boss in Naoto's dungeon the other day. I think some levelling and a need for money is going to hinder me. I can't fuse higher level persona's as I either don't have all the personas or don't have enough money to summon them from the compendium.
Does money become more abundant soon? I'm torn between upgrading weapons for my main team or having strong enough persona to defeat bosses. ¬_¬

Neon_Icarus said:

If you thought Persona 3 was good then know that 4 is better in every possible way.

lucablight said:
If you thought Persona 3 was good then know that 4 is better in every possible way.

After playing through Persona 4, I decided that if Persona 5 were announced for the PS3, that alone would be enough to get me to buy one. I've since bought PS3 anyway, but I would seriously have bought one just to play Persona 5.

Buying a PS2 for Persona 4 is a negligible expense.

Clott

My completion time was around 80 hours, but how can some of you guys watch a play through for that amount of time?

Tamanon

Banned
Clott said:
My completion time was around 80 hours, but how can some of you guys watch a play through for that amount of time?

Most folks who watched the Endurance Run treated it like a TV show basically. Once you get hooked on the characters(Vinnie/Jeff/Charlie), you're hooked.

Gravijah

One of my save files just transformed into one from 20 hours ago. I'm playing on my 80GB PS3 so I know it has save issues, but how in the hell is that even possible? Not that it matters, I keep a bunch of saves, it's just... weird.

Oh well, currently 70 hours in on September 2nd.

jvalioli

Tamanon said:
Most folks who watched the Endurance Run treated it like a TV show basically. Once you get hooked on the characters(Vinnie/Jeff/Charlie), you're hooked.
Yeah, thats how I feel about it even though I played the game before. Having Vinny and Jeff just adds that much more.

Top Bottom