• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

P90

SatelliteOfLove said:
Experiment now with fusion. Make note of how things work.

Procrastination gets people killed.

CYOA concerning battle.

You can die very easily in battle if you don't do the previous.

Black Frost. :D

This is excellent advice. Black Frost is THE midgame persona.

Sophia

SneakyStephan said:
Is it normal to go HOURS between saves?
I'm at floor 7 of the yukiko dungeon now and out of the dungeon exit items (only had two) so the only way for me to get out now is walk 7 floors down?

Everyone is out of SP pretty much (seems I need to use my rock paper scissors type spells every fight or I get destroyed so sp runs out fast) with no sp recovery items left.
I'm on the second rainy day too (27/4) so I guess exiting to come back another day isn't an option either...

If I have to reload an earlier save then I think I'm done with the game, it started out pretty neat but the story and pacing just stopped dead in it's tracks after a few hours and it's kind of a chore to play already.

You should always make sure to have Goho-Ms on you when you go through a dungeon. If you run out, dodge your way to the top or bottom floor (whatever is easier.) The game doesn't stress how important and useful Goho-Ms.

That is a pretty bad situation, tho. Managing SP is difficult at first, but it gets easier past the first dungeon. Once you figure out what it takes to beat an enemy and start obtaining/fusing Personae with better skillsets, SP becomes significantly less of a hassle. You can also go to lower floors and fight for EXP too. Sure, it's less EXP, but it's also less consuming on your SP when you can fight using normal attacks/physical skills/low cost SP skills.

At worst, you can just eat the timer. Igor will send you back in time a week. You'll lose social link progress, but you can better prepare.

Normal attacked my way past the boss, 2x of the party evasion boosting items and the healing items I had left seemed to get me past it.

What are CYOA and black frost by the way.

Sophia

SneakyStephan said:
Normal attacked my way past the boss, 2x of the party evasion boosting items and the healing items I had left seemed to get me past it.

What are CYOA and black frost by the way.

Black Frost is a mid range (level 38) special fusion spread that pops up around that time. He's also by far one of the best Personas you get. No weaknesses, good strengths, strong elemental attacks.

I do not know what CYOA stands for, however. And congratulations on getting past the boss. She can be a bitch for new players.

"Cover Your Own Ass"

Your friends can die and be revived, your friends can have weaknesses unguarded, your friends can risk not being healed while low, but the MC cannot. Cover his weaknesses, guard when you cant, heal him first, and make sure his Endurance stat is solid.

Man next boss (the big guy in the castle at lvl 8) is a cockblock right away.
He one shots my party and because I never leveled a persona with physical resist I can't do squat about it until I powerlevel for a few hours.

SneakyStephan said:
Man next boss (the big guy in the castle at lvl 8) is a cockblock right away.
He one shots my party and because I never leveled a persona with physical resist I can't do squat about it until I powerlevel for a few hours.

Wait until the next dungeon to do that boss. By then you can fuse Raksasha or something as a good phys demon and you'll be able to be a high enough level. Optional bosses don't disappear or anything.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Picked this up on Amazon for $23.39 new. There were only 2 in stock when I ordered, so I guess I just got lucky.

Very happy. I've never played a Persona or Shin Megami Tensei game. :) I would have played 3 first, but I wanted to play the best(?) version, the PSP version, and it's more expensive than 4.

I should have the game tomorrow.

Another question (can't seem to find this in any faq online).

The social link conversations: you get to pick answers etc, sometimes they'll react happy sometimes gloomy etc, does this have any effect on how fast the link levels up?
Basically do I just have to tell people what they want to hear all the time?

Tamanon

Banned
If you see notes above their head(usually because they're happy), it gets you more points towards the next social link level.

A lot of S-Links want to hear something to pump them up, but there are a few that you need to challenge.

ultron87

SneakyStephan said:
Another question (can't seem to find this in any faq online).

The social link conversations: you get to pick answers etc, sometimes they'll react happy sometimes gloomy etc, does this have any effect on how fast the link levels up?
Basically do I just have to tell people what they want to hear all the time?

There's a couple where if you say something really wrong the Social Link will reverse and you'll effectively lose progress.

Your answers can affect how fast you level up your social link. Sometimes when you spend time socializing with someone you'll see some generic cutscene, which means you still don't have enough points to level it up.

The consequences can be more dire in P3 where wrong answers can reverse or even break a social link.

Nekobo

Atilac said:
EDIT: Felt like doing more
440695-JJW043E.jpg

I'll take this one, thanks!

SoulFist

Being a big RPG fan and never having played any Persona games, I was thinking about jumping in and picking up Persona 3 FES and this game. If I had to get one or the other, should I get this one? If I wanted to go back and play P3 after P4 would it be unbearable because of the improvements in 4?

Tenks

SoulFist said:
Being a big RPG fan and never having played any Persona games, I was thinking about jumping in and picking up Persona 3 FES and this game. If I had to get one or the other, should I get this one? If I wanted to go back and play P3 after P4 would it be unbearable because of the improvements in 4?

Personally I felt the story in P3 was much, much better than P4. However if I were you I'd play P3 before P4. It may be frustrating not to control your characters directly. However I never really ran into many issues. Just set up the tactics at the start of battle and you're good to go.

ultron87

I found that P3: FES was way less annoying to play once I'd played all of P4 and really gotten a good handle on the battle mechanics.

Not being able to control your party matters way less when you figure out that you can do most of the dirty work with your main character and that the AI generally does what it should be doing. Also, knowing what spells do just by reading their name helps a lot, because FES has an annoying tendency to not tell you what a spell does on several screens where it would be quite useful to know that information. It isn't a problem if you can tell your Sukukajas from your Sukundas from your Masukukajas.

So playing 4 first can actually make some of the frustrating parts of FES less of an issue.

Seems I'm stuck
I'm supposed to find the slender young man to save kanji, I talked to the mother, then to the lady at junes who said he'd be at junes the next day.
Next day there was an event to get more expression/social link etc from the music club so I did that.
Now when I go to junes the boy isn't there, the mother is gone too as is the woman at junes, going to the food court starts the sequence with the fox etc but it won't let me enter the tv?
Did I break my game with something this trivial?

Also when do you get more persona slots?
I'm at 20th of may and still only have 6 it seems, which isn't even enough to boost the social links that I have with , let alone have room for more persona shuffle cards.

mollipen

SoulFist said:

If you're going to play only one, play P4. Characters are WAY better than P3's cast (not that I don't love them), and the game feels nicely different (where as I think P3 is more typical JRPG storyline). P4 also has a ton of gameplay improvements, and because of that (and other reasons) flows far better.

They're both fantastic games, though, so I say get both. Just play FES first, because P3 becomes a little harder to enjoy if you've played P4 before it.

mt1200

SneakyStephan said:
Seems I'm stuck
I'm supposed to find the slender young man to save kanji, I talked to the mother, then to the lady at junes who said he'd be at junes the next day.
Next day there was an event to get more expression/social link etc from the music club so I did that.
Now when I go to junes the boy isn't there, the mother is gone too as is the woman at junes, going to the food court starts the sequence with the fox etc but it won't let me enter the tv?

I think you need to go on certain days, save your game, and skip the days till next week to check it works
(dont save before you realize in which they the boy will be)

ultron87

SneakyStephan said:

He only appears in Junes on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Holidays. So just do whatever till one of those days rolls around. You should still have plenty of time to finish the dungeon.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'll also echo that P3:Fes is still eminently playable and a fine game experience even in the shadow of P4.

The social elements are only frustrating for OCD completists that concern over building every link to 100%(VERY stringent requirements via faq/walkthrough), but this is a dour way to experience the game on a first play anyway.

Combat and dungeons are improved in P4, but having AI controlled party members isn't that big of a deal. You learn to cope and attune to the slight deficiencies relatively quickly and without too much frustration.

I'm also of the mind that P3:Fes had a superior cast and story and prefer it still to P4.

ultron87

Brandon F said:
I'm also of the mind that P3:Fes had a superior cast and story and prefer it still to P4.

Unless FES's story vastly improves in the final month (which I just started in my playthrough) I don't see how people can say it has a superior story.

P90

Brandon F said:
I'll also echo that P3:Fes is still eminently playable and a fine game experience even in the shadow of P4.

The social elements are only frustrating for OCD completists that concern over building every link to 100%(VERY stringent requirements via faq/walkthrough), but this is a dour way to experience the game on a first play anyway.

Combat and dungeons are improved in P4, but having AI controlled party members isn't that big of a deal. You learn to cope and attune to the slight deficiencies relatively quickly and without too much frustration.

P3 did not have the down-to-earth cast and humor that P4 had. P3 just felt like the we are superheroes that can save the world. The P4 cast were, "aw schucks. we can jump into tvs to try to solve a murder spree". I much prefer P4's tone, cast, and story. P3, is a darn good rpg by any measure, just P4>P3 in all metrics and intangibles.

mt1200

ultron87 said:
Unless FES's story vastly improves in the final month (which I just started in my playthrough) I don't see how people can say it has a superior story.

Both are great but i think I liked P3's story more than P4's.

P4's gameplay, characters and dub is way better though.

Requeim

Brandon F said:

I think the casts are equal, but i agree with the story part. The story in Persona 3 also feels a lot darker, so that might be why i prefer it slightly.

Anyone know where you can read the hiimdaisy Persona 4 strips? They're down on her blog. I know that there are dramatic readings or whatever they call them on YouTube, but I'd rather just read them.

ultron87

dr3upmushroom said:
Anyone know where you can read the hiimdaisy Persona 4 strips? They're down on her blog. I know that there are dramatic readings or whatever they call them on YouTube, but I'd rather just read them.

Hmm, simple Googling has failed me here. Weird that she'd take them down entirely.

I wouldn't worry that much about the dubbed version on Youtube, it is of a shockingly high quality.

Playing through this game on a ps2 (so no savestates) must be a nightmare.
Just spent 3 + hours in the bathhouse dungeon and I'm not even at the first boss yet, if you happen to have the wrong persona with you or get caught with a preemptive attack a few times you probably run out of sp long before you get to the savepoint and get to teleport out and do it all over again...

I love the combat and fusion stuff etc but the dungeons already long overstay their welcome without having to backtrack needlessly.

ultron87

SneakyStephan said:
Just spent 3 + hours in the bathhouse dungeon and I'm not even at the first boss yet, if you happen to have the wrong persona with you or get caught with a preemptive attack a few times you probably run out of sp long before you get to the savepoint and get to teleport out and do it all over again...

I love the combat and fusion stuff etc but the dungeons already long overstay their welcome without having to backtrack needlessly.

You can use the Go Home item and exit out to save every time you get to a new floor since you can restart in the dungeon at your current highest floor.

mt1200

SneakyStephan said:

The dungeons are not so hard, you can run to the end, save, and grind later.

The bosses are tough

ultron87 said:
You can use the Go Home item and exit out to save every time you get to a new floor since you can restart in the dungeon at your current highest floor.
Ah I see, thanks.

Is it worth spending money on the fox to replenish your sp?
It's expensive but I seem to make more money per enemy than I use sp worth (and will start not needing any in a few levels), it saves days afterall if I do this, though it does mean yet more grind (sort of).

ultron87

SneakyStephan said:
Ah I see, thanks.

Is it worth spending money on the fox to replenish your sp?
It's expensive but I seem to make more money per enemy than I use sp worth (and will start not needing any in a few levels), it saves days afterall if I do this, though it does mean yet more grind (sort of).

If you have the money and you'd rather spend time social linking it can certainly be worth it. Of course this will be money you aren't using to buy new weapons.

Doing the Shrine requests to level up your Social Link with Fox will make the cost significantly cheaper. And he'll also charge you less if he's in a good mood on that particular day, which you can check by patting his head.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's been a while, but you can game the system to make a persona that restores your SP after every battle.

It breaks the game, I suppose, but if you want to save days for S-links, it's a viable option.

ultron87 said:
If you have the money and you'd rather spend time social linking it can certainly be worth it. Of course this will be money you aren't using to buy new weapons.

Doing the Shrine requests to level up your Social Link with Fox will make the cost significantly cheaper. And he'll also charge you less if he's in a good mood on that particular day, which you can check by patting his head.

Well I'd be using it to rerun the first 7 floors once so I level up to where I won't need much sp anymore for them and I make my money back and then some.
I waste most of my time in my first run trying to figure out enemy weaknesses and trying to find a persona that doesn't stink.

For example in this bath dungeon it seems half of the enemies on lower floors have no weaknesses (other than the death one which I don't have a persona for to try).
Those annoying tigers are the same, I'm forced to fear one so I can beat down the other one.

edit : score

Chris R

Game is on sale today at Amazon for 19.99 if anyone is still looking to pick it up (along with a bunch more Atlus games). I'm trying to find a filler item to get free shipping right now :(

Persona7

Banned
rhfb said:
Game is on sale today at Amazon for 19.99 if anyone is still looking to pick it up (along with a bunch more Atlus games). I'm trying to find a filler item to get free shipping right now :(

20 bucks is essentially a steal for persona 4.

How do your primary stats (of your persona, like str, magic ,agi) affect your spells?
Does higher magic increase success rate on casting ailments? Does it increase the amount you heal with a healing spell?
Does the attack stat on a weapon affect magic as well as physical attacks?

St affects physical attacks of the Persona.
Ma affects magic attacks of the Persona.
En reduces damage you take.
Ag affects your hit/eva.
Lu affects crit chance and hit/eva of status effects including instant kills.

Your weapon stat does not affect physical attacks of Personas. It only affects your character's Attack command as well as the All-Out Attack. This is why it's not recommended to buy weapons generic weapons. It's best to stick with weapons that you pick up, or weapons that you buy, as long as they have special properties like bonus to stats.

For example, going back to Yukiko's dungeon lets you fight a boss that gives you a weapon for Yukiko that gives +50 SP. I stuck with it the whole game because 50 bonus SP is awesome especially for Yukiko.

I see, awesome explenation man.
And yeah since yukiko is a pretty awful melee char anyhow I suppose I can stick with her +50 sp weapon , at least until there is something that completely blows it out of the water.

Sitting on 120 k atm anyhow though at level 28 with god knows how many items to sell to the armor vendor (been in this steambath dungeon for like 7 hours trying to do it all in one ingame day) so I guess money won't really be an issue for now.

Just fused a level 27 Lamia with the 5sp regen per turn and most of the elemental low rank aoe spells so I guess I won't be needing much sp potions or money for the fox either for a while since the MC can knock down the rock paper scissors type enemies.

edit: just how long is this game? took a peak at a pfd walkthrough to see if i had missed something and its like 177 pages long...

edit 2 : few questions that have conflicting answers in a google search or none at all , maybe some persona vets here will know.

-I read that on rainy days you get double knowledge for studying?
I assume they are talking about the 'dictionary piqued interest' proc, but it seems random to me, happens on sunny days too and it doesn't always happen on rainy days.

-Books: should I be reading any of them at all other than the courage ones?
Does reading on a rainy day do anything?

-other rainy day changes/tips ? does anything change in dungeons? Seems the best way to spend any rainy day that doesn't have a special event is just eat the meat bowl for maximum stat boosts.

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom