• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Kenka

Yaweee said:
You can leave the dungeon at any time and return to exactly where you left off...

[...]

What's the most appropriate way to drop the f word in those cases ?

Ok, I'll give it another try after the weekend. Thanks to have reminded this easy solution.

Droplet

Yaweee said:
You can leave the dungeon at any time and return to exactly where you left off...

...you can? I tried to do that once and somehow ended up on the highest floor I'd been to.

I...did something wrong?

jvalioli

TheExodu5 said:
So it looks like they're actually replaying the in-game story through the Anime. Good!
Until about halfway through when they realize they can't wrap up in XX episodes and have to start changing things. I hope that is not the case though

I enjoyed Persona 4 but for some reason it never resonated with me in the same way that 3 did. I played the PSP version so I wasnt wowed by the combat controls when I moved on.

I guess I just found the dorm setting and cast of characters more relatable? Who knows. I also thought the story as a whole was more important. At the end of it all I felt like it did a better job of portraying real relationships and friends in a more realistic setting.

P4 was still good fun though so I will be ecstatic if it is announced for the 3DS, even if it was Scooby Doo in Japan: Featuring Senpai.

Yuripaw

Banned
jvalioli said:
Until about halfway through when they realize they can't wrap up in XX episodes and have to start changing things. I hope that is not the case though
Yeah, i hope they don't get lazy like that.

I think as long as they stick to the main storyline, and ignore stuff like potential social links, it should be possible for them to do the whole story in a reasonable amount of episodes.

BannedEpisode said:
I enjoyed Persona 4 but for some reason it never resonated with me in the same way that 3 did. I played the PSP version so I wasnt wowed by the combat controls when I moved on.

I guess I just found the dorm setting and cast of characters more relatable? Who knows. I also thought the story as a whole was more important. At the end of it all I felt like it did a better job of portraying real relationships and friends in a more realistic setting.

Doesnt matter though. 4 was still good fun even though it was Scooby Doo in Japan: Featuring Senpai.

It was the exact opposite for me. No matter how hard I tried, I could not for the life of me get into P3. The combat was not as fun to me also. Not having direct control over your party members just made no sense to me, and I got frustrated that I couldn't grind as long as I wanted because of the whole getting fatigued thing. Never felt like you get very close to any of the characters either. Really don't care for P3 much, but P4 is one of my favorite games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
latinlikeaviolin said:
I exiled myself from my dickish friends and their dumb antics last summer, feeling like a recluse and staying home all day

That's the worst thing you can do during the summer! Hope this next one goes better for you. I have a pair of tickets to a big concert, have plans to go camping, but I'll prolly travel too.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Could someone avatarize this for me? Pweez

tumblr_ljkt8t38rQ1qg35s9o1_500.jpg

Trailer looks great btw.

The social links will be interesting, though how they're handled (if at all) is going to come down to the length of the show. I could, maybe, see them doing them by dedicating an episode to each one (passage of time might not be an issue, if they save each person as quickly as possible, leaving a few weeks between each dungeon) but given the sheer number of them, I wouldn't expect anything more then a few cameos if the series is only 26 episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just remember Charlina from the P3P thread.

Any P5 would be fine too... gotta do something with that gamebryo/Catherine engine after all.

trejo said:
It's Charlene.

And I think I'd prefer a P5 announcement at this point.

So do I! I feel weird being into P4, as I've never owned the game, I'm just of the Endurance Run tag-a-longs, but I played P3 and loved it. So yeah, P5 announcement soonish would be great. I'd imagine that'd be a TGS thing though.

The jokes about the separate Investigation Teams in the ER made me think: wouldn't it be awesome if P5 had different groups of schoolkids investigating whatever demon world P5 has? And then the teams collide at the end of the game (not before some accusations of the other being up to no good) to take down the villain and solve the mystery. The replay value from that would be insane too.

Go_Ly_Dow

firehawk12 said:
Charlina!

I hope the anime leads to some P4P announcement at TGS or something.

P2P and P3P were both randomly announced in Famitsu so it could happen at any point really.

Oh and here's a potential ava for someone.

vK4ru.png

Giving this game a go, about 5 hours in now.

Any important do's or don't s? (spoiler free preferably) or tips?

The fusion stuff is kind of confusing, I'm not sure if all the cards I'm getting are throw-away stuff or if this game is part of the 'will sneak in unique important items at early game that screw you over if you (mis)use them early on club.

Looked at a few guides on the subject but they don't really explain much.

This game looks insane for a ps2 game by the way, holy cow.

Experiment now with fusion. Make note of how things work.

Procrastination gets people killed.

CYOA concerning battle.

You can die very easily in battle if you don't do the previous.

Black Frost. :D

ultron87

SneakyStephan said:
Giving this game a go, about 5 hours in now.

Any important do's or don't s? (spoiler free preferably) or tips?

The fusion stuff is kind of confusing, I'm not sure if all the cards I'm getting are throw-away stuff or if this game is part of the 'will sneak in unique important items at early game that screw you over if you (mis)use them early on club.

Looked at a few guides on the subject but they don't really explain much.

This game looks insane for a ps2 game by the way, holy cow.

Few tips:

-Whenever you social link you should have a persona of that Social Link's arcana with you. It gains you more points and will make you level up the link faster.

-Don't neglect the activities that increase your social stats as you'll need these to go higher in various social links. AKA, do the Rainy Day Meatbowl Challenge.

-When fusing you can randomize the inherited abilities (from the two personas you are fusing) by reselecting the two cards. You can keep shuffling them till you get a beneficial draw.

-Before you fuse anything you should Register your personas in the Compendium so you can resummon it (for a nominal fee) if you need it.

-Buy Tap Sodas the vending machines outside the convenience store each week. They're a convenient and cheap SP recovery method that can help when you just need a little bit more SP to get to the next level of the dungeon.

-The fog comes after multiple days of rain. There is a case in the game where "multiple days" equals a day and a half. So keep that in mind.

ultron87 said:
Few tips:

-Whenever you social link you should have a persona of that Social Link's arcana with you. It gains you more points and will make you level up the link faster.

-Don't neglect the activities that increase your social stats as you'll need these to go higher in various social links. AKA, do the Rainy Day Meatbowl Challenge.

-When fusing you can randomize the inherited abilities (from the two personas you are fusing) by reselecting the two cards. You can keep shuffling them till you get a beneficial draw.

-Before you fuse anything you should Register your personas in the Compendium so you can resummon it (for a nominal fee) if you need it.

-Buy Tap Sodas the vending machines outside the convenience store each week. They're a convenient and cheap SP recovery method that can help when you just need a little bit more SP to get to the next level of the dungeon.

-The fog comes after multiple days of rain. There is a case in the game where "multiple days" equals a day and a half. So keep that in mind.

A few other notes:

If you fuse away a persona and get a new version of it from Shuffle Time, don't register the new version, as it will overwrite the old one. (You can easily compare the current version of a Persona you have to the registered one to avoid messing this up)

Stock up on Goho-Ms (the item that lets you warp out of a dungeon) and save frequently. You re-enter the dungeon at the highest floor you've reached, so there's no sense in going too long without saving and losing an hour plus of progress.

Use your buffs and debuffs frequently; they're very useful (especially in boss fights).

ultron87 said:
Few tips:

Thanks, this is good stuff.
You too kuwabara.

Clott

What I loved about playing this for the First time this year, the game starts in spring 2011, I felt like I was playing something that was going on in japan as I was playing it, or I got to see the future, I don't know why I felt that.

Curufinwe

ultron87 said:

I remember when a bunch of us gave this good advice to Jeff & Vinny in the Endurance Run comments, and then they waited till they were in battle to try and drink a TaP instead of using them to restore their SP before the battle.

Damn, I can only hold 5 persona cards at once?
Went through the dungeon to
save yukiko
early in the game and by the time I got to the fifth floor I'd had to discard like 5 persona?

Going out of the dungeon sets things to night so I guess that's a waste too?

How do you normally go about clearing a dungeon like this?
It's such an akward system with the days and the 'you can only do this or that on such and such days'.

Tamanon

Banned
Keep in mind, that Goho-M takes you to the entrance of the dungeon, so make sure you have plenty of those until you get a spell that takes you back. Once you go to entrance you can go and fuse your Persona cards you've gained. They'll be saved for later if you want to pull them out again. Make sure and Register them just in case though.

Keep in mind, before the deadline, there are generally a couple rainy days where you can't do much but try and reach the Meat Dimension. So it's okay to spend a couple days in each dungeon.

You'll get used to the time mechanic. Just don't waste chunks of time and don't stress about it too much. You'll be able to hold more personas as you level up. The personas that you get will be stored in the compendium automatically (when you level them up you'll want to register them so you have the higher level version stored) so it's not that big of a deal. Keep fusing and getting the new personas you find. For now just make sure you have the spells to cover elemental weaknesses and whatnot.

Tamanon said:
Keep in mind, that Goho-M takes you to the entrance of the dungeon, so make sure you have plenty of those until you get a spell that takes you back. Once you go to entrance you can go and fuse your Persona cards you've gained. They'll be saved for later if you want to pull them out again. Make sure and Register them just in case though.

Keep in mind, before the deadline, there are generally a couple rainy days where you can't do much but try and reach the Meat Dimension. So it's okay to spend a couple days in each dungeon.
Bleh, I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for with fusion results:p I barely have any social links so most of the fusions tell me 'i won't be able to bestow power on them' whatever that means.

Also goddamn this game is tough, even with savestates of my emu I have to reload a lot , the yukiko knight boss is ridiculous (trying to do all 5 floors in one run through, guess that's a nono).

All the Persona 4 avatars in here are making me nostalgic :3

I may have to switch to a Chie avatar...gotta rep my one true love (in-game true love but love just the same!) ;D

I'd definitely bro it up with Chie, but that "come hither" look from Yukiko sealed the deal for me. Maybe in my New Game+ run, I'll choose someone else.

Sophia

M_Night said:
P2P and P3P were both randomly announced in Famitsu so it could happen at any point really.

Oh and here's a potential ava for someone.

vK4ru.png

I'd use this one if it fit the forums requirements.

Marrshu said:
Managed to get one that maintains transparency. Thanks for trying tho. :)

Doh! I always find a way to mess up avatars on accident. : P

Persona 4 (and P3P for that matter) were some of the most fun RPG experiences I've had lately. I'm definitely looking forward to Innocent Sin PSP and the highly probable Persona 5.

Is it normal to go HOURS between saves?
I'm at floor 7 of the yukiko dungeon now and out of the dungeon exit items (only had two) so the only way for me to get out now is walk 7 floors down?

Everyone is out of SP pretty much (seems I need to use my rock paper scissors type spells every fight or I get destroyed so sp runs out fast) with no sp recovery items left.
I'm on the second rainy day too (27/4) so I guess exiting to come back another day isn't an option either...

If I have to reload an earlier save then I think I'm done with the game, it started out pretty neat but the story and pacing just stopped dead in it's tracks after a few hours and it's kind of a chore to play already.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SneakyStephan said:
I'm at floor 7 of the yukiko dungeon now and out of the dungeon exit items (only had two) so the only way for me to get out now is walk 7 floors down?

Everyone is out of SP pretty much (seems I need to use my rock paper scissors type spells every fight or I get destroyed so sp runs out fast) with no sp recovery items left.
I'm on the second rainy day too (27/4) so I guess exiting to come back another day isn't an option either...

If I have to reload an earlier save then I think I'm done with the game, it started out pretty neat but the story and pacing just stopped dead in it's tracks after a few hours and it's kind of a chore to play already.
There's a save at the top of each dungeon before the boss, so if you try to just avoid every fight and make it up that might be a solution.

SneakyStephan said:

Edit: Oh, so you ran out of those goho-ms. : (

Yeah, that sounds like a tough situation. Try to stick with it though!

Top Bottom