• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

luka

Loves Robotech S1
XiaNaphryz said:
You must watch the Giantbomb Endurance Run in its entirety. Right now.
I think I tried once. The English VA makes my brain hurt. It simply rejects the idea of English speakers conversing with Japanese names and honorifics in a Japanese setting.

Kanda Akemi is the only Nanako for me!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Oh, you're one of those types. It's okay, I was once like that a while back as well. Atlus localization team is awesome.

Bad localization work will cause me to revert though.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
XiaNaphryz said:
Oh, you're one of those types. It's okay, I was once like that a while back as well. Atlus localization team is awesome.

By "those types" you mean someone who has only played the JP version? Then yes, I am.

I'm not saying the English VA is bad. It's just too weird for me.

XiaNaphryz said:

Or didn't watch any Teddy or Chie scenes, one.

Frost_Ace

Trailer was awesome. It looks medium-high on production values...wasn't expecting that!

It's so weird seeing the protagonist talk though :S

demosthenes said:
Didn't want to start a new topic for this but,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1926778324/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone know anything about this?

yeah it a cool book of shigenori soejima art...covers everything from the personas to stella deus...if you've only seen the regular promotional art, there are some really nice P3 an P4 pics in there you won't have seen. It's got P4 pics that aren't even in the P4 Official Design works book.

My copy is Japanese....I don't think there is an english version, but it's not something I researched heavily.

Kazzy

Andrefpvs said:
chiechiechiechiechie! <3

Oh man, I wonder what are the chances we get this:
1) Localized
2) With the same VActors as the game?

That would be great, especially as I've recently been listening to those drama cd's for Persona 4 and I can't stand Teddie's Japanese VA.

pirata

Wow, so the Velvet Room is going to be included in the show. I wonder how it'll handle that...I mean, having the protagonist sitting in a limo for thirty minutes constantly cancelling out of a menu so that he can pass down all three of the abilities he wants onto a particular persona probably wouldn't make riveting television.

pirata said:
Wow, so the Velvet Room is going to be included in the show. I wonder how it'll handle that...I mean, having the protagonist sitting in a limo for thirty minutes constantly cancelling out of a menu so that he can pass down all three of the abilities he wants onto a particular persona probably wouldn't make riveting television.

It's unlikely they'll have Yu Narukami fusing any Personas in the anime. It serves no useful plot purpose and the mechanics of the game are irrelevant to the anime anyways. He'll probably just use Izanagi the whole way through when fights are shown.

Unknown Soldier said:
It's unlikely they'll have Yu Narukami fusing any Personas in the anime. It serves no useful plot purpose and the mechanics of the game are irrelevant to the anime anyways. He'll probably just use Izanagi the whole way through when fights are shown.

Except for Black Frost, of course (remember, as one of The Fool arcana, he has infinite potential).

Andrefpvs said:
chiechiechiechiechie! <3

Oh man, I wonder what are the chances we get this:
1) Localized
2) With the same VActors as the game?

Not enough Chie! :) More please!

I'm afraid I don't feel like a localization is likely, sadly. But if somehow there was, I think there would be a really good shot at getting the same voice talent. Most of those actors do voices in lots of games and have worked with Atlus multiple times, I don't think they would object to going back to Inaba.

My biggest worry is that my favorite aspect of Persona 4 probably isn't going to translate to anime very well. The number one thing I love about this game is how the story and social links are structured. As the story progresses and as you go through dungeons and develop social links, it really feels as though you're helping these characters overcome their deep seated problems and becoming better and stronger people as a result. I can't think of another game that really makes you feel like you're making a positive difference in the lives of NPCs as this game does and that is what makes Persona 4 so special in my opinion. While the production looks surprisingly high, and the art style is fantastic and very true to the game, I dunno I still have my reservations.

Chavelo

Wait... So, it's an anime series? I thought it was just a movie... Well then...

203535_105681819521505_6048251_n.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't think this is being released as a physical copy or anything of the sort. Probably just renting/streaming.

Chris R

Does anyone know if the voice actors in P4/P4a in Japan are the same? Any chance we get the same voice actors in the USA? Would be somewhat jarring at first if the voices were different, but I think I might be able to get used to them...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
rhfb said:
Does anyone know if the voice actors in P4/P4a in Japan are the same? Any chance we get the same voice actors in the USA? Would be somewhat jarring at first if the voices were different, but I think I might be able to get used to them...
It's a subbed stream for us. I doubt we'll even get the same actors for the US when it releases on DVD. Japanese voice actors should be the same though.

rhfb said:

I really hope so - if Atlus had planned ahead of time for the P4A, P4Vita, and P4UMArena I'm sure that their legal department created a solid contract that would allow for the original actors' works to be used in later media as well as be rehired at rate determination for forthcoming work.

That and I'm sure they also would think it would be strange after Chie's English stellar performance to cut and switch. Aha, is this our chance indeed!

Does this have a widescreen mode like final fantasy 12? My old ps2 died but I have been wanting to play a persona game for forever now and really enjoyed FF12 on emulator.

God I loved Persona 4. The cast really felt like old friends by the time it was done, I was so attached to all of them. Might have to do a replay soon. Or maybe pick up Persona 3.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Does this have a widescreen mode like final fantasy 12? My old ps2 died but I have been wanting to play a persona game for forever now and really enjoyed FF12 on emulator.
No widescreen.

Vita version will have it though.

Official Thread for the anime!

Persona 4: The Animation |OT| Being on TV may be hazardous to your health
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447159

Captain_Spanky said:
God I loved Persona 4. The cast really felt like old friends by the time it was done, I was so attached to all of them. Might have to do a replay soon. Or maybe pick up Persona 3.

Get Persona 3. The story is way more epic, though the gameplay mechanics are less refined.

Articalys

Finally started playing this, what with the anime being simulcast and starting in roughly seven hours from now. Only about six hours into the game or so, specifically I'm partway through the first dungeon, it's fun and the characters are great, but I have no idea how powered up I should be before taking on the boss, or roughly how many days I should spend grinding levels versus building links and such. Hard to figure the pace the game wants you to take, or if making the wrong decisions can seriously screw you over later. And then there's the infinite combinations from persona fusion -- I get that I should probably have at least something strong against each element at the ready, but outside of that...
Basically the game has a great atmosphere in general and in battles, but everything else feels complex as hell. I guess I'll just do what I can.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
Articalys said:
Finally started playing this, what with the anime being simulcast and starting in roughly seven hours from now. Only about six hours into the game or so, specifically I'm partway through the first dungeon, it's fun and the characters are great, but I have no idea how powered up I should be before taking on the boss, or roughly how many days I should spend grinding levels versus building links and such. Hard to figure the pace the game wants you to take, or if making the wrong decisions can seriously screw you over later. And then there's the infinite combinations from persona fusion -- I get that I should probably have at least something strong against each element at the ready, but outside of that...
Basically the game has a great atmosphere in general and in battles, but everything else feels complex as hell. I guess I'll just do what I can.
You shouldn't need to grind in this game at all. If you find a boss to be exceptionally difficult, feel free to grind, though there are probably other ways around that.

In my experience, most of the time I spent "grinding" was just to level up a certain persona for his next fusion or to find a certain item, which never took more than 20 minutes. I used to find that battles became difficult only when I had outdated personas, and a trip to the velvet room would fix my problems.

Articalys

Chowfahn said:
You shouldn't need to grind in this game at all. If you find a boss to be exceptionally difficult, feel free to grind, though there are probably other ways around that.

In my experience, most of the time I spent "grinding" was just to level up a certain persona for his next fusion or to find a certain item, which never took more than 20 minutes. I used to find that battles became difficult only when I had outdated personas, and a trip to the velvet room would fix my problems.
So it's true I'm going to spend most of my prep time fusing personal to get the necessary elemental properties and skills, huh? Does that mean I should save my money for recalling Personas from the compendium for extra fusions?
Also, are you expected to join both a sports and cultural club? They do overlap two days of the week. Are the eventual social link bonuses you gain from both that are worth the time they suck up?

I just started playing this today, and I'm really liking it, to my surprise. I've never been a big JRPG person, but the first four hours have really got me hooked. Something about it just really kept me from quitting, and I found myself having played much longer than I anticipated.

Anyways, I hate to be getting ahead of myself, but I wanted to know some things about getting the good ending. I was looking at this spoiler free guide for doing it, and I wanted to know if I should be concerned about the relationships.
I don't plan on blowing them off or anything, but will having specific ones or a certain number play into the ending?

Looking forward to jumping back into the game when I can find the time, and thanks in advance!

Typographenia said:
I just started playing this today, and I'm really liking it, to my surprise. I've never been a big JRPG person, but the first four hours have really got me hooked. Something about it just really kept me from quitting, and I found myself having played much longer than I anticipated.

Anyways, I hate to be getting ahead of myself, but I wanted to know some things about getting the good ending. I was looking at this spoiler free guide for doing it, and I wanted to know if I should be concerned about the relationships.
I don't plan on blowing them off or anything, but will having specific ones or a certain number play into the ending?

Looking forward to jumping back into the game when I can find the time, and thanks in advance!

My one vague but useful advice: If they're in battle with you, make sure to Social Link with them.

Typographenia said:

IIRC you need either 5 or 10 maxed out Social Links for the True ending. Not sure what the right number is, but whatever it is it's easy to accomplish on your own.

Bel Marduk said:
IIRC you need either 5 or 10 maxed out Social Links for the True ending. Not sure what the right number is, but whatever it is it's easy to accomplish on your own.

I'm almost assured that during the true final boss, the MC can be seen by as few as one slink, Teddie, as Star is the only individual one that is automatically maxed via plot by that point (other than Fool and Judgement)

Thanks! I don't intend to just ignore the social links, but I wanted to be sure I didn't reach the ending and have it tell me "oh, well, you should have had just one more if you wanted a good ending."

Articalys

This is a really stupid question, but: just to clarify, each offensive stat affects a different method of attack, right? Character strength only matters for basic weapon attacks, persona strength only matters for HP skills, and persona magic only matters for SP skills, is that correct? I know it should be obvious, but I just want to make sure...

Articalys

Apologies for the double post bump, but I really do have a new question.

If you choose to hang out with friends but no "event" happens, i.e. all it does is say "you spent time with X" then immediately dump you back home for the evening, did I actually move closer to the next S.Link rank or did nothing happen at all?

Articalys said:
Apologies for the double post bump, but I really do have a new question.

If you choose to hang out with friends but no "event" happens, i.e. all it does is say "you spent time with X" then immediately dump you back home for the evening, did I actually move closer to the next S.Link rank or did nothing happen at all?

You did move closer. You can maximise your chances by having a persona of that same S. Link type (you will see the message "because you have xxx you will get on better" or something), but especially as the links progress you might not be able to make the jump to the next level in one meeting.

I think that if the person actually bugs you for a "date" (comes to you at lunch or whatever) that is a pretty good indication you will move to the next level.

And your post about stats was spot on too.

Okay, so I just finished my first real dungeon/boss run in Persona 4, and I have some questions concerning my methods.

I knew that I had the deadline at the end of April to save Yukiko, so I thought I was better off maximizing my stats in the real world by studying, talking with people, and doing all the things that build courage/expression/understanding and so forth. However, I had a pretty difficult time once I got to the halfway point in Yukiko's Castle.

Should I supposed to be visiting the dungeon periodically before my real attempt to rescue a character? Is my method valid, but I just stink at fighting?

The main things I learned was to stock up on SP items. Holy crap, I don't know how I made it out alive. I had about 24 SP on Yousuke, 8 on Chie, and 12 on Me at the boss fight with NO more SP items. I had spent all of my SP trying out what skills were strong against various enemies.

Another thing I learned is that grinding is a good idea, but I have no idea how to properly manage my Personas for levelling or how to really maximize any of the combination stuff. I'm going to try to find a decent explanation online, but if anyone has a link to a good explanation on Persona Fusion, I would really appreciate it.

Regarding enemies and drops, is there a way to increase my chances of getting certain items afterwards? Is there a "steal" function later on in the game or with another character later?

Also, how important is it to stick to a specific type of Persona? I had a slime, which is a Chariot type, but I found another Chariot type later that was a higher level. It lacked the skills I thought the slime benefited from, so I didn't exchange it. Is it more important to pay attention to levels or skills if you plan on combining personas later? Obviously, the levels are important for whether or not I can do a fusion, but I just want to know if I should stick to my guns with a lower level with better skills or be swapping out constantly for the higher levels?

Typographenia said:
Okay, so I just finished my first real dungeon/boss run in Persona 4, and I have some questions concerning my methods.

I knew that I had the deadline at the end of April to save Yukiko, so I thought I was better off maximizing my stats in the real world by studying, talking with people, and doing all the things that build courage/expression/understanding and so forth. However, I had a pretty difficult time once I got to the halfway point in Yukiko's Castle.

Should I supposed to be visiting the dungeon periodically before my real attempt to rescue a character? Is my method valid, but I just stink at fighting?

The main things I learned was to stock up on SP items. Holy crap, I don't know how I made it out alive. I had about 24 SP on Yousuke, 8 on Chie, and 12 on Me at the boss fight with NO more SP items. I had spent all of my SP trying out what skills were strong against various enemies.

Another thing I learned is that grinding is a good idea, but I have no idea how to properly manage my Personas for levelling or how to really maximize any of the combination stuff. I'm going to try to find a decent explanation online, but if anyone has a link to a good explanation on Persona Fusion, I would really appreciate it.

Regarding enemies and drops, is there a way to increase my chances of getting certain items afterwards? Is there a "steal" function later on in the game or with another character later?

Also, how important is it to stick to a specific type of Persona? I had a slime, which is a Chariot type, but I found another Chariot type later that was a higher level. It lacked the skills I thought the slime benefited from, so I didn't exchange it. Is it more important to pay attention to levels or skills if you plan on combining personas later? Obviously, the levels are important for whether or not I can do a fusion, but I just want to know if I should stick to my guns with a lower level with better skills or be swapping out constantly for the higher levels?

Arcanas will mostly fuse along a set grid. X + Y = N, but X + Z = M for instance. The higher the two Personas, the higher the resulting Persona of that Arcana will be. The triple fusions and beyond often are special, and don't fit this grid. There are graphs online if you're looking to study the logic behind the scenes, but that's mostly for late-game or powerleveling Slinks. Note also that you can rebuy old personas.

Luck may affect this (when in doubt of a mechanic in Megaten, it's always "Luck" :p); no Steal that I remember.

At your level, it is FAR more important to build towards bosses, but I would say Yes and No. I'd keep ones that work really well for you or what you're fighting, but always experiement with any others. Fill up that persona list and experiment in the Velvet Room.

Best advice would be don't sweat it. There is no Right Answer (not with a customization system this wide open at least, thank God).

Top Bottom