• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

ampere

Kagari said:
12-10.jpg

Nom nom nom.
I'm jealous of the DDS1&2. I've heard very nice things about both of those.

Shouta

Tamanon said:
Ya, that's the artbook.

Made it back to level 7 of the second dungeon before pausing for food. Really loving how much everything in this game, and I mean everything intertwines. S. Links/Stats/Combat/Personas/Storyline.

Got some complaints myself but I`ll save it for when everyone`s done or I`ll move it to a new thread and abuse my mod power!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Man, it's good to see all the tweaks and fixes to the UI and the game overall in comparison to P3. A save point in the classroom, a SaGa esque button that lets you exit an area without having to directly go to the exit!? FFS YES!

Loving it so far, they managed to make the battles even more stylish than in P3 (as if that was possible) with good camera angles. This game is so fucking awesome. I was very close to turn it off at the beginning with that long-ass intro, because I was really getting tired of it. Once you get into
Yukiko's castle
and start dungeon crawling, I was like "OMG FINALLY"

I like the changes to the battle system, I leave the AI on for normal battles to speed up the process then manually control the party for bosses. Using Guard command to defend against a weakness is an interesting change.

So far, this is another R&D1 homerun. Man are these guys on a roll or what, only Devil Summoner was disappointingly mediocre, the rest of their games has range from good to zomg. What an awesome development team.

zoku88

Holy crap, what's with that 'definite' and 'indefinite' article thing? I've never even heard of those terms :lol :lol

I just had to pick the one that was different from the other too

I really thought I was getting wrong

Gamespot Review: 9/10, Editor's Choice.

The Bad
* Poor camera when dungeon-crawling
* Lots of reused shadow and personae artwork.

The Good
* Multiple themed dungeons to explore
* Fun and engaging combat
* Great cast of realistic characters
* Social links directly influence combat performance
* Character stats have a strong effect on actions.

NichM

Banned
zoku88 said:
Holy crap, what's with that 'definite' and 'indefinite' article thing? I've never even heard of those terms :lol :lol

I just had to pick the one that was different from the other too

I really thought I was getting wrong

Judging by your post, I can see how that would have escaped you.

Though at least you didn't say 'definate' and 'indefinate.'

zoku88

NichM said:
Judging by your post, I can see how that would have escaped you.

Though at least you didn't say 'definate' and 'indefinate.'
Did I say something wrong??? (besides the spoiler part where I missed a word)

I wasn't paying close attn, since it was a lesson on English :lol

Shanks

So what's the characters official name again? What order do I put it in? Like

FIRST
LAST

Also, in Persona 3 (and this hopefully) are you able to rename your character in a new game+?

Volcynika

zoku88 said:
Did I say something wrong??? (besides the spoiler part where I missed a word)

I wasn't paying close attn, since it was a lesson on English :lol

Definite - the
Indefinite - a, an, some, any

Means you know what you're referring to!

And Shanks, it's

LAST
FIRST

Disregard me!

Kagari said:
http://kagari.zerox20.net/GAF/12-10.jpg[IMG]

Nom nom nom.[/QUOTE]
i took a picture of my collection... but my camera isn't working...

i'm jealous your P3 and DDS are still in the wrapping :P

i have all those + devil summoner and P:revelations and P2... the US one (i forget the name.......)... not innocent sin

Duck Amuck said:
Not better than "Dah dah dah! Junpei leveled up!"

Okay, I'll admit I momentarily forgot that bit of Junpei greatness. I still think I'm gonna end up liking Yosuke slightly more though. I realized on this second session that part of that could be due to what I feel is improved writing in general. These sound like real high school students with the plethora of "dudes" and other slang being dropped. Don't get me wrong, I still believe the characters and story in Persona 3 are top notch, but the dialogue here feels a little more appropriate.

In addition, I'm really digging the way each characters Persona manifests itself. It's been very effective with adding some depth and dimension to your party members from the get go. I feel it's yet another improvement, since character development was somewhat of a slow burn in P3. A wonderful burn, but slow nonetheless.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if anyone's aware yet but the new Retronauts is all about SMT!

zoku88

Are there save points right before boss battles in this game like The Journey? Or is more like The Answer? Actually, are there even teleports?

Yaweee

zoku88 said:
Are there save points right before boss battles in this game like The Journey? Or is more like The Answer? Actually, are there even teleports?

- You can buy items in the store that warp you back to the hub room.
- When you re enter a dungeon, you can continue from the highest floor you reached.
- Mini bosses do not have save points before them, but big bosses do. They are standard save points.
- Stairs go back to previous floors, too.

zoku88

Yaweee said:
- You can buy items in the store that warp you back to the hub room.
- When you re enter a dungeon, you can continue from the highest floor you reached.
- Mini bosses do not have save points before them, but big bosses do. They are standard save points.
- Stairs go back to previous floors, too.
Oh, I wish I knew that 2nd one or else I wouldn't have foolishly fought that mini boss... lol

T_T

Error

Does the MC only equips swords? I like how in P3 the MC could equip anything, I guess with physical attacks being condensed into one type , equipping the MC with anything isn't possible or not necessary.

Tamanon

Banned
Error said:
Does the MC only equips swords? I like how in P3 the MC could equip anything, I guess with physical attacks being condensed into one type , equipping the MC with anything isn't possible or not necessary.

Yup, swords, golf clubs and the like.

I saw a GAF reference, I swear.

Ms. Sofue said:

I don't know how much you know about world history, I'm an expert.

Anyway, it reminded me of that epic Square meltdown on here.

Also, I should be studying for finals. I'm fucked so bad now.

Tamanon

Banned
Mid June now:

About to go on the school trip, the girls are apparently going to make the most messed up Curry recipe ever. They're picking almost everything to put in there!

.... and I was right!

BTW, really enjoying the family S. Links. They're pretty damn fleshed out and realistic.

Sallokin

New Retronauts podcast is up. Talks about the Persona games and features internet celebrity Nich Maragos.

EDIT: Whoops. This was actually posted last page by baphometbones. I missed that edit when searching.

RedBoot

Got the game yesterday. Gamestop didn't have my artbook when I picked it up, and I was told to call again today. Surprise, not there today either. Might not ever be. Now I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I'm going to get a hold of the damn thing. I thought this GS was good for preorder items, I haven't missed one yet, including when I got the Eternal Poison art book.

In other news, the game is pretty awesome, though I've had little time to play it (soon, though). Very long time between starting the game and finally being able to move around town, but at least the setup was interesting (also, at least the game doesn't knock you out for a week worth of gametime at the start like P3 did).

Narcosis

I named my main character Dr. Dre, just for the hell of it.

Anyways, nice artbook that came with my order, can't believe that Atlus is giving that away for free with pre orders.

Duck Amuck said:
Question: How often are we going to have to go through this?

Persona-user: You're not me!

Everyone: DON'T SAY IT

Persona-user's shadow: I'm going to turn into a big monster and kill you.

Persona-user: I now accept that you are a facet of me. Sorry for being a little bitch.

Because I've seen this three times already and, while I liked it the first time, it's getting a little predictable already.

I've always wondered what if the following happened.

Persona-user's shadow: I'm the embodiment of your deepest fears and desires.

Persona-user: High five!

vas_a_morir said:
I saw a GAF reference, I swear.

Ms. Sofue said:

I don't know how much you know about world history, I'm an expert.

Anyway, it reminded me of that epic Square meltdown on here.

Also, I should be studying for finals. I'm fucked so bad now.
They probably phrased this to allude to that Square meltdown. Atlus keeps up on Internet happenings pretty well, I've noticed.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The conversations with Nanako always make me go "aww"

Mad props, Nich (and all the rest, of course). Been a while since a game has done that.

And this game is hella addicting, it's got that one more minute mentality hitting perfectly.

Error

Kagari said:
My only complaint so far: Why can't I pause the cutscenes ><
No skip scene option, either. Such a polished product, but simple options like these are nowhere to be found.

Skip scene option should be fucking mandatory in ANY rpg, at this point.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Damn, this game is awesome. It's miles ahead of P3, which I did like... but I find the characters in P4 far more appealing. Yosuke <3

Error

Music in the game is a lot more laid back than P3's. I also like how the music changes depending on the weather, so you aren't stuck listening to the same song over and over. I hope the dungeon music changes, too.

Top Bottom