• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

kiryogi

Banned
Error said:
Music in the game is a lot more laid back than P3's. I also like how the music changes depending on the weather, so you aren't stuck listening to the same song over and over. I hope the dungeon music changes, too.

Every dungeon has it's own theme. And on previous note, I find it really funny how everyone thought it was a bug that there was no music during rainy days or something. Even back during the JP release, folks on Gamefaqs were concerned. It never occurred to me at all. Seemed like a normal thing. Then again, this was the norm in games like Harvest Moon during rainy days or even hurricane like conditions. Wasn't it similar too in P3?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
kiryogi said:
Every dungeon has it's own theme. And on previous note, I find it really funny how everyone thought it was a bug that there was no music during rainy days or something. Even back during the JP release, folks on Gamefaqs were concerned. It never occurred to me at all. Seemed like a normal thing. Then again, this was the norm in games like Harvest Moon during rainy days or even hurricane like conditions. Wasn't it similar too in P3?
There was no weather in P3, at least nothing that directly affected gameplay like in P4. The only time they mentioned something weather related, was because of a storm and the game (p3) skipped 3 days.

So there was never a case of 'no music playing' in P3.

Hero

So put in a few hours into this baby.

Right off the bat, I'm really excited for this game. A little odd, seeing as how I got bored to tears with FES. I think the lack of Persona compendium and the straight up dungeon crawler gameplay grated on my patience after a while.

But putting that aside, the game is very stylish, which is to be expected of Persona I suppose. I really like how fluid the menus have become as that was something that kind of irritated me in P3/FES. Also the ability to press [] and select a location is a godsend. Having to go from school to a location was so tiring just because sometimes you had to go through so many different areas and it was just wasted time. By the end of P3 I just went back home and slept to skip the day to progress faster.

It's kind of weird that you can directly control your allies' turns this time around. I only played P3/FES, is this a new thing for the series or was P3 an exception? This certainly feels a bit more SMT-ish. Should make the game easier and less frustrating, as I know I've stared at the Game Over screen more than a handful of times because my allies would heal themselves or each other instead of me.

Characters seem likable too. While the main character in P3 wasn't too bad, the "mysterious and silent" cliche was something I wasn't looking forward to for another game. At least we know a little background on this guy and he doesn't seem like some strange weirdo. Could be off base though.

And the locations changing for the story as you progress? Definitely cool. Tartarus was a drag at timees.

P1 and P2 had full party control, although you would set up options and let them play out rather than one party go and then the other. It was real-time in P2, where you could stop characters from executing commands mid-turn, or make characters go again.

totowhoa

Banned
I'll be picking this up soon... I never played through P3 on hard mode, so I probably want to try this one on hard. I did not have too many problems with P3 or Nocturne on normal, but I just don't want this game's hard mode to be much more difficult than Nocturne's normal mode. Nocturne's normal was just hard enough, and I'm sure hard mode on that game would have been a turn off for me. Too much grinding can ruin a game for me. So, where does the difficulty/grindy-ness sit in comparison for the persona hard modes? I just don't wanna get 15 hours in and start over because I'm not enjoying it :(

Yaweee

Sklorenz said:
I'll be picking this up soon... I never played through P3 on hard mode, so I probably want to try this one on hard. I did not have too many problems with P3 or Nocturne on normal, but I just don't want this game's hard mode to be much more difficult than Nocturne's normal mode. Nocturne's normal was just hard enough, and I'm sure hard mode on that game would have been a turn off for me. Too much grinding can ruin a game for me. So, where does the difficulty/grindy-ness sit in comparison for the persona hard modes? I just don't wanna get 15 hours in and start over because I'm not enjoying it :(

Hard mode feels harder than Nocturne's normal mode, at least so far, and definitely more grindy.

1) Enemies are easy to avoid, so there's nothing keeping you from just sneaking your way to a boss or mid boss without fighting enemies, necessitating that you take a timeout to go back down and grind.

2) Both of the midbosses so far have felt like level checks, where even with a bunch of Kaja and Kunda spells the bosses were so far above my level that I did too little damage while they were one-shotting my members.

However, the crawling aspects are much, much better designed than anything in P3. I remember playing The Answer and thinking "Hmm... I'd really like to see a straight dungeon crawler like this." Fights are more varied, enemies have a more interesting selections of abilities and weaknesses, and your friends will jump in to save you from single target killing hits (sorry, won't work against Mazio)

Level gain definitely appears to be a lot slower, since there are no wand cards to speed the process up.

You should also be cautious that dungeon exploration prevents you from doing bath daytime and nighttime S. Links, and that restoring HP/MP in the dungeon is expensive as fuck. So, while P3's Hard mode only made the dungeon aspect a little bit harder, here it will almost definitely require you to adjust how you go through the social aspects; how long you put it off, how many trips you take, whether or not you choose to waste a day to restore your health or burn through your life savings for a heal. Very interesting stuff so far.

I also hear that Normal is too easy after the first boss, so selecting Hard might prevent some imminent boredom.

(At second Major boss, died eight times so far. Once each against each midboss/boss (those first two don't count), and then in three random encounters where I just absolutely got waylaid by high level hitall stuff)

Shouta

Duck Amuck said:
2nd dungeon spoiler:

Kanji's quest for cock is fucking hilarious

It's interesting to see a game with a homosexual character and not treat them as effeminate cock ticklers with the gay accent and everything.

Heh, this is interesting because there's a bit of debate about it. I'd argue that said character is bisexual at most and really just into the pretty things at the very least. You'll see as the story goes on.

Himuro said:
Also, I just find this funny, but I put the soundtrack on my Zune. This morning I cranked it as I walked out the door and it started raining. Haha.

Ha, yeah here in Atlanta this game could not have come at a more appropriate and atmospheric time. Non-stop rain the past few days and I'm at work listening to the combination of the weather and the jazzy tunes. Fog's even starting to roll in.

chespace said:

You know, that line should have terrible. The same could be said of nearly all of Teddie's lines, but they end up being totally awesome. I guess I just assumed he would be the shrill, annoying mascot character instead of a source of a lot of the game's humor. Teddie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fukka.

Shouta

Duck Amuck said:
I see. Well, I'm not sure what the dialogue said in the Japanese version, but in this version it kinda hints here and there. Of course, I'm still early in the game so we'll see. Either way, based on the dialogue,
his dungeon, and most notably his Shadow I'm starting to think he's ashamed of being homosexual.
It's only a theory, but I think it holds water. I'll let you know how my theory evolves as I progress.

It's a bit of the same in the Japanese version, the spoiler part, at least early on. You'll see how it develops as the game goes on and the trend you'll see within those events, at least I'm assuming you'll kind of see it the way I do.

I'm right in the middle of the first dungeon, and I can tell that I'm already going to love this game more than P3.

...and God, I listened to that Retronauts this morning...and that made me want P1 even more. >_<

Shouta

So, watching some of the videos of the VAing in the game, they're pretty good but I definitely like the Japanese ones more, at least for Chie and Yosuke. I think it might the be the accents and speech patterns they use in Japanese that has me by the hooks (I usually like a good English dub more!). I can't imagine their lines without ending in tsu~no" :lol

If there were only a way to make it so I could have the Japanese VAs but them using the English script or vice versa sometimes. Need the technology now.

GETTING MINE TODAAAAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

i called ebgames just now and they said it's on the way... thank godddddddd...

i don't think i could've waited another day... especially after reading what everyone is saying about it :p

Shouta said:
So, watching some of the videos of the VAing in the game, they're pretty good but I definitely like the Japanese ones more, at least for Chie and Yosuke. I think it might the be the accents and speech patterns they use in Japanese that has me by the hooks (I usually like a good English dub more!). I can't imagine their lines without ending in tsu~no" :lol

If there were only a way to make it so I could have the Japanese VAs but them using the English script or vice versa sometimes. Need the technology now.

That was done with a P3 hack, I think. I saw it on youtube. They even remixed the music to make it less repetitive. Whoever did that will probably do the same for P4.

Duck Amuck said:
2nd dungeon spoiler:

Kanji's quest for cock is fucking hilarious

It's interesting to see a game with a homosexual character and not treat them as effeminate cock ticklers with the gay accent and everything.
Really? Awesome. Looking forward to that.

It's nice to get a little representation once and a while and not be the butt of a bunch of tired jokes. (e.g. Encanted Arms and GTA4)

Blackjack

sublime085 said:
Really? Awesome. Looking forward to that.

It's nice to get a little representation once and a while and not be the butt of a bunch of tired jokes. (e.g. Encanted Arms and GTA4)
Kanji isn't really gay, sorry. At MOST he is bi. But really he just likes traditionally feminine things (sewing, painting, etc), which causes women to make fun of him, which causes him to hate being around women, which causes him to wonder if he is gay, which causes his Shadow to take on that aspect. It's still really, really interesting to watch, but if you're into it just because it'd be nice to see a non-stereotypical gay dude in a game (I agree, it would be. It'll probably be a while though:( ), then you may be disappointed.

Error

Shouta said:

They did a great job with Teddie/Kuma at least. His JP voice was really irritating and annoying, it had that high-pitched JP voice I totally hate. They made him bear-able (LOL get it!?) in the English version.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I've only just started yesterday and can already say that stumbling upon the aftermath of the
hanging
was like watching a creepy thriller just beginning to flourish. Really well done--loved the piano during that scene. There is a certain melancholy permeating everything that raises the hair on the back of your neck ever so slightly. And Chie is dope so far.

Error

Everyone in the school is a goody-to-shoes, at least the S.Links. Come on, Atlus we need more S.Links with a shade of grey. Where are the weed users, the lazy people at school that doesn't study for shit and wait for someone to show them the exam answers, the people that cut class etc... etc... :)

Unless every student in japan is like this, but I don't see it!

Blackjack

Error said:
Everyone in the school is a goody-to-shoes, at least the S.Links. Come on, Atlus we need more S.Links with a shade of grey. Where are the weed users, the lazy people at school that doesn't study for shit and wait for someone to show them the exam answers, the people that cut class etc... etc... :)

Unless every student in japan is like this, but I don't see it!
Get Strength up to rank 4 and get ready to meet Ai.

Whoever does the menu and other UI features in the PS2 Persona games needs a HUGE raise. So artsy-fartsy without clunking up the functionality.

The MC's niece reminds me of my niece.

I feel sorry for Yukiko; she seems crushed by all the expectations of strangers and relies on Chie to "cut a swath" thru the BS so she can manage thru the day.

epmode

SatelliteOfLove said:
Whoever does the menu and other UI features in the PS2 Persona games needs a HUGE raise. So artsy-fartsy without clunking up the functionality.
So agreed. The initial YELLOW art had me wondering but my god the final designs look amazing. Great animation too.

FUCKING GAME CRAZY STILL DOSENT HAVE MY COPY!

And since I'm going back home on Saturday my chances of getting this are fading as no Chicago location has any.

Tamanon

Banned
Maybe i'm alone on this one, but the normal shadows in the dungeon seem to be a bit harder than P3's. Maybe it's just because I'm only on the 3rd dungeon, but some of them are pretty damn tough, whether it's because of resistances or synergy.

Yaweee said:
WHAT THE FUCK.

I was actually going to buy one =(

I had one in my cart, but I just didn't have the funds. Truly heartbreaking, I saw my friend's package arrive yesterday and even though the shirt is huge, it's a really nice set :(

Top Bottom