• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tenks

Seems like I'm falling behind and it'll only get worse since I can't play at all this weekend. Going to have to dip out of the thread until I finish the game off. Expect me to post a long winded review in a month or so :)

Darkman M

Urban Scholar said:
It's pay day and I'm off today and I'm going to pick this up today. I have to know is the DJ guide that off? Am I better off just playing this game next to my PC for help? Can anyone clarify this for me?

Im sure there are a few things off here and there but i definitely recommend the guide. The monthly planners are GOD SEND. D

Darkman M said:
Im sure there are a few things off here and there but i definitely recommend the guide. The monthly planners are GOD SEND. D

hmm, when you put it that way it makes sense. Thank you
oh and um..your avatar...its a bit spoilerish yes?

One thing I never been sure about, if I get a Persona but don't have space for it and then dump it, will it still be in the Compedium?

Game is quite harder than P3 though, I like it that way.

Prime crotch said:
One thing I never been sure about, if I get a Persona but don't have space for it and then dump it, will it still be in the Compedium?

If you either made it, and or had it equipped at one time or another, yes. However, if you got it from a shuffle then dump it, I'm fairly certain from P3 the answer is a no. you need that you welcome such and such into the sea of your soul....

Blackjack

Magician S.Link Rank 10:
HOLY SHIT does Susano-o have a hilariously awful design
:lol :lol :lol

Urban Scholar said:
If you either made it, and or had it equipped at one time or another, yes. However, if you got it from a shuffle then dump it, I'm fairly certain from P3 the answer is a no. you need that you welcome such and such into the sea of your soul....
Actually, in this one at least, picking the Persona card and then dumping it does put it in the compendium.

Darkman M

Urban Scholar said:
hmm, when you put it that way it makes sense. Thank you
oh and um..your avatar...its a bit spoilerish yes?

Fixed im just now realizing, that's not the persona i thought it was :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Prime crotch said:

If you get it from a shuffle, then dump it later on before you get back to the Velvet Room, it still is registered from what I've seen.

Yaweee

Who knows what the numbers are, but the game was only the fifth best selling PS2 game for the week on Amazon.

From Gamasutra:
PlayStation 2
North America: 1. Rock Band Special Edition (MTV Games), 2. Madden NFL 09 (EA Sports), 3. Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (Square Enix), 4. Lego Batman (Warner Bros.), 5. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (Atlus).

Who the hell is buying Chain of Memories over this? I mean, honestly.

EDIT: I don't mean to say it's a bad game, just a game that's been out for four years that wasn't much cared for by the majority of the people who played it.

bryehn

Yaweee said:
Who knows what the numbers are, but the game was only the fifth best selling PS2 game for the week on Amazon.

From Gamasutra:

I bought both.

Volcynika

Urg. A while back, went to attempt the mid-boss or whatever on the first dungeon (didn't even know what it was). Here's what happened:
SKEWER SKEWER SKEWER LOL YOU DIE

:|

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
its sad that GoTY material games like this don't get their deserved sales :(

(i bought CoM haven't bought this yet . XD)

Chorazin

I played for 4 hours last night, and already I like these characters more than those in P3 that I spent way too many hours with.

They all just seem to have more heart.

epmode

Tamanon said:
If you get it from a shuffle, then dump it later on before you get back to the Velvet Room, it still is registered from what I've seen.
True. But make sure that you replace one of your stock persona when you win a new one in a shuffle. If you trash the new one during the shuffle you won it from, it won't be in the compendium.

Yaweee said:

From Gamasutra:

EDIT: I don't mean to say it's a bad game, just a game that's been out for four years that wasn't much cared for by the majority of the people who played it.

Hopefully the excellent word of mouth on Persona 4 will lead to steady sales. Everyone who's actually played it falls in love with it, and I don't think this is the type of game that's just going to drop off the sales charts next week.

Or maybe I'm just telling myself that because I can't face the reality of a world that would choose a port (albeit very enhanced) of a GBA game over the best original rpg to be released since.... well Persona 3.

birdchili

i'm not following this thread anymore, but some early gameplay impressions:

- it's persona 3 with some minor changes, all of which seem awesome:

- party members intercepting mortal blows for you really makes the mc no more vulnerable than anyone else.
- i love how "analyze" is basically just notes on what you've figured out on a beast so far. it seemed almost cheaty in p3. wish it tracked attacks you've seen from that shadow type.
- sneaking up on shadows while exploring seems a *lot* harder. i pretty-much never suffered an "enemy advantage" after the first few hours of p3. i've been hit first a few times already in p4. it might be just getting used to new movement patterns, but shadows seem to detect you coming from behind way more than before.
- so far expert mode is a savage beating without seeming unfair. i'm making use of both guard (which is now quite good) and flee. i escaped last night with two dead party members and an mc with <1/2 hp (easily one hit from death). heheheh... <phew>. it's more luck than brains that i even *had* one of those dungeon-escape items.
- i'm not strongly opinionated re: shuffle time yet. i didn't much like it in p3, but i'm not sure it's substantively *worse* now.

Yaweee

baphometbones said:
Hopefully the excellent word of mouth on Persona 4 will lead to steady sales. Everyone who's actually played it falls in love with it, and I don't think this is the type of game that's just going to drop off the sales charts next week.

Or maybe I'm just telling myself that because I can't face the reality of a world that would choose a port (albeit very enhanced) of a GBA game over the best original rpg to be released since.... well Persona 3.

FES had decent legs, so I'd expect this to do the same.

Volcynika

Is there any way to reset enemies/map setup in the dungeons without living the entire TV world? I was going through the first dungeon, and I killed most of them, but I don't know if I could somehow go back and start over without the day ending.

epmode

As far as I know, the dungeon is only randomized when you show up on a different day. Monsters do respawn during a single day, though.

Volcynika

epmode said:
As far as I know, the dungeon is only randomized when you show up on a different day. Monsters do respawn during a single day, though.

Ah, thanks. Just gets hard to find enemies after a while!

Also, is there an average level for beating the first dungeon?

george_us

I'm only at level 17 for all of my characters so far. I tried to take on the boss who has Yukiko's hidden weapon but he beat the shit out of me with Rampage in one shot (after I had already gotten him down to 1/4th health or so) so I took a break. I don't go grinding as much as I should because it feels like I'm missing a lot in the real world.

Yaweee

Duck Amuck said:
What level are you guys? I'm level 25 for all characters. Last night I was like level 18 and since the difficulty of the boss I started to grind, but I couldn't stop. Every time I saw what spell the character was going to get next I was all,"I'M GETTING THAT." Agilao really helped a lot against the boss. Rampage and Assault Drive are swoon.

Too bad Yosuke's skill set kinda sucks now.

Persona goals today: level up King Frost, finish Jack Frost's skill set, make a Matador.

I was at 23/22 when I fought the second major boss (expert). Rakshasha is the only reason I beat it; strong to physical + counter + Rakunda allowed me to kill the adds fast.

Chie's Rampage OWNS. Tarukaja + Rakunda = up to 300 damage per turn.

I agree about Yousuke. At this point in the game (between second and third dungeons), he doesn't really have much going for him. Chie's got the power, Yukiko has the healing, but Yousuke's grab bag assortment isn't powerful enough.

I plan on putting a lot more time into this tonight
(I've only made it to the point where Chie gets her Persona)
, unfortunately last night was totally and utterly wasted griefing people in the Home beta. I'm a little confused about something though: If I want to grind, what are my options? I've heard that you no longer get free restorations in the dungeons so should I just go in extra prepared? I'm also unclear about how leaving the dungeon works, if I use the warp item to get back to the beginning, do I have the option to start on the last floor I left (no matter where that may be) or is it kind of like in 3 where you have to reach a certain point?

I can't wait to get home so I can foolishly waste a weekend playing this instead of searching for jobs.

Yaweee

baphometbones said:
I plan on putting a lot more time into this tonight
(I've only made it to the point where Chie gets her Persona)
, unfortunately last night was totally and utterly wasted griefing people in the Home beta. I'm a little confused about something though: If I want to grind, what are my options? I've heard that you no longer get free restorations in the dungeons so should I just go in extra prepared? I'm also unclear about how leaving the dungeon works, if I use the warp item to get back to the beginning, do I have the option to start on the last floor I left (no matter where that may be) or is it kind of like in 3 where you have to reach a certain point?

I can't wait to get home so I can foolishly waste a weekend playing this instead of searching for jobs.

Your best bet is to be careful with your SP, as it is very, very, very expensive to restore mid dungeon. You can't just spam elemental weaknesses any more, so the physical abilities end up far more useful than they were in P3.

Each dungeon has a much steeper gradient in enemy difficulty with respect to floor, and exp rises accordingly, so you have to balance the risk of fighting harder enemies versus the increased exp. There's also the exp curve that drastically reduces enemy exp based on your relative level.

birdchili

Yaweee said:
the physical abilities end up far more useful than they were in P3..
i was always trying to do single-run save-to-save in p3, but sp conversion already seems like much more of the required strategy in combat than before, which is great. i think stripping down physical attacks to one type is going to be a good change overall as well (i wasn't sure about that one).

i get more of that nocturne-feel with new enemies now too - they're terrifying:) in p3, analyze was so good that a new enemy was only moderately more dangerous than one whose weaknesses you already knew. now... not so much.

Just received my DJ guide in the mail. I'm impressed, this looks even better then the P3 guide. I think they somehow managed to cram in even more information then before.

kiryogi

Banned
Volcynika said:
Wat, I didn't know you could join both a sports and a cultural club. :(
Cultural club is ideal since its where you can get one of the rival GFs. :D and actually
They're the ones that spent time with you during certain events like summer, not the main ladies
I was left out cold D:

Yaweee

Duck Amuck said:
You killed both of the minions?

I couldn't even touch Tough Guy, so I said forget it. I cast Rakunda on Nice Guy at the beginning of the battle. Then Chie and Yukiko unloaded a bunch of stuff on him. I think it was Assault Drive that did it, but I knocked him down AND made him dizzy. That helped A LOT since that allowed me to mobilize my buffs and debuffs on boss and party. At which point, Nice Guy didn't survive before long between Yosuke and Chie's physical attacks, and Yukiko's magic. I didn't bother with Tough Guy after that. I concentrated on the boss. It took a while but he finally died. My Chie RARELY uses Counter, which is disappointing since that's be useful in that fight.

The main reason I grinded wasn't even to get xp, it was for cash! :lol It'd cost a good 100k Yen in order to upgrade my armor and weapons. Shit costs a lot in this game and FAST. You didn't have prices like this in P3 until the end of the game!

I tried to focus on the boss at first, but I just couldn't deal with the damage output. The fight is very random; though I forget what the name is, he has the one attack that hits everybody, with the chance of multiple times. Even though I had Yousuke spamming Dekaja whenever possible, a Power Charge of whatever that move is could kill guarding members if I got unlucky.

The Nice Guy was a cinch, and killing him was worthwhile enough to free up Yousuke's turns. Rakunda on him, followed by some double slash that my MC had.

As for the tough guy, Rakunda on him, followed by an Matarukaja item, then spamming Mabufu and Magaru. It was a bit slow, but it also ate into Kanji bit by bit. I had to kill it, because his Rampage plus a Power Charged Kanji was too brutal to heal through every turn. I just couldn't keep up. I guess if you have enough of the party healing items you can skip the adds.

And then, RAMPAGE RAMPAGE RAMPAGE on Kanji. It owns.

Just a fantastic fight, even if there's quite a bit of annoying randomness to it.

Duck Amuck said:
When does the weapon/armor shop have a sale? Because this guy's shit is too expensive! :lol

I love how money is actually valuable now. His selection is rather limited, though, as I don't think I've ever done the dungeon on a rainy day to farm for rare materials. Do those unlock some good shit?

Are things more expensive in Hard mode? Goho M's are only 950 Yen.

Dark Oni

Septimus said:
Just got my copy at EB here in Toronto Canada. (took a pic of the back of the book because the front looks ugly to me)
157jfpu.jpg

how much was the game $39.99 or 49 i'm also in canada i called eb yesturday and they told me it was 49 i thought it was supposed to be 39

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Argh, I'm still used to the P3 mindset of SP replenishing itself every time you leave....my first thought is always an sp move rather than an hp one. Doesn't help that I don't like using moves that take away my own hp, no matter how useful they might be :p

Metroidvania said:
Judging from that, no, they're the same in normal. And yeah, weapons do seem a lot more expensive so far.

Argh, I'm still used to the P3 mindset of SP replenishing itself every time you leave....my first thought is always an sp move rather than an hp one. Doesn't help that I don't like using moves that take away my own hp, no matter how useful they might be :p

I so agree with you on that, I started disliking that greatly ever since Nocturne back in 2004 :lol

Septimus

Dark Oni said:
how much was the game $39.99 or 49 i'm also in canada i called eb yesturday and they told me it was 49 i thought it was supposed to be 39
39.99. Just tell them to check the site or flyer. Or better yet, bring a print out yourself.

So, basically the only complaint I had about P3 was it's dungeon being so, uhh, boring. That was a big enough issue for me that I stopped playing.

P4 any better in this regard? If so I'll probably spend all of my Xmas break on it...

elbkhm

Finally got my copy today. Abandoned my EB pre-order (the EB I ordered at still doesn't have it, while the other EBs in the city got it yesterday), and picked up a copy at HMV. $49.99 CDN, no artbook. I kinda wish I had just ordered from Amazon in the first place. Would have taken a little longer, but I would have paid $15 less and gotten the artbook.

Oh well, enough moping, time to get my game on. Decided to go with Expert, and auto control, switching to manual for Boss fights. We'll see how this goes.

Tenks

dollartaco said:
So, basically the only complaint I had about P3 was it's dungeon being so, uhh, boring. That was a big enough issue for me that I stopped playing.

P4 any better in this regard? If so I'll probably spend all of my Xmas break on it...

The dungeon floors are more sprawled out. This game is separated into various dungeons that have the same formula (shadows, stairs) but vary in the theme. If mentally you'd rather climb a 20 or so floor dungeon and complete it then move onto another 20 some floor dungeon with a different look then I guess thats the variety you're looking for. In essence its not really different than the tarturus.

Duck Amuck said:
I highly suggest having a couple when you journey into the tv. If you don't, you'll have to either make it to the boss floor which spawns a savepoint that can take you to the bottom floor, or trek back to the bottom floor by going back downstairs on foot - which is far more dangerous if you're weak and lacking supplies.

Thanks.

Yaweee

Duck Amuck said:
Goho-M's are around that price iirc. I'll check later. If it's not that, it's close. But medicine, as in the vanilla medicine is a good 700-800 yen. More powerful medicine that heals you for 100 HP costs a good 1100-1200.

You've got Double Slash? Tell me your Persona roster.

As for the rare items I worked up the second dungeon, from floor 1 to 10 or so, and in the end I had a good 51k Yen. When I went to sell my spoils, he gave me 35k or so Yen. And yes, selling your stuff unlocks some good crap. I've unlocked armor for Chie and Yuki that upgraded their defense a good 40 to 50 points.

Okay, it seems like Goho M's are the same, but the better healing items cost more. I'll have to check the prices and my Persona roster when I got home, but did they really adjust individual prices for difficulty changes, instead of blanket multiplication? That would be unheard of from Atlus!

How much does the compendium cost? On expert, the cheapest Persona like Pixie are around 2k.

----

Also of note is that not all floors in the dungeon are randomized. The miniboss floor layouts (like the puzzle in the castle) are pre-set.

Duck Amuck said:
P4's dungeons are based on specific themes personal to the main cast. The dungeons also have various cutscenes and story sequences thrown in for good measure to keep things interesting. They're still random though.

Aww hell, was hoping to save $40...

Chorazin

I can't understand asking for "the best S-Links" in this game. I always just go with which characters I am honestly interested in, doesn't much matter what the reward is. Seems counter to the game's spirit to do otherwise.

Yaweee

Fuck, there really are way more Persona in this than in P3. Did they just stack all of the new ones towards the beginning, because there are an absolute ton.

It's a bit disappointing to know how many fewer demons SMT4 will have compared to P4's Persona. There's no way Atlus will go that far overboard in next(this)-gen models on their first go... unless that's the reason the jump to PS3 is taking so long. Are all those new hires just locked in a closet, updating Kaneko's two-decade-old designs?

I like the members' Persona designs a lot more than I liked P3's. It doesn't hurt that their animation is craptons better, either.

Chorazin said:
I can't understand asking for "the best S-Links" in this game. I always just go with which characters I am honestly interested in, doesn't much matter what the reward is. Seems counter to the game's spirit to do otherwise.

Since Strength persona tend to get Physical Resist, that S. Link is proving to be invaluable. With regards to the game's spirit, there is a distinct benefit to pushing on a single S. Link and getting it really high, since the bonus exp can mean a world of difference. Didn't anybody else end up using a ton of Magician S. Links in P3 because Kenji was so easy to max?

I so want the characters to shut up the victims before youknowwhat, fucking
Shadow Kanji and his buddies, just knock him in the head or something before they scream at their Shadows

Volcynika said:
Just got to boss of the first dungeon. I got whipped, but at least I know
her minions are apparently weak to ice

Same thing happened to me...I'm still grinding to get to the recommended level 15 and my Strength persona to atleast level 7 for Phys Resist. That boss seriously owned me...and that was only the mini boss.
It's the 29th and things are getting tense. I've obviously gotta save Yukiko by the end of the day. At level 11 and not many floors to choose from with enemies that give a decent amount of EXP, I'm worried...Should I be?

Thank god for the DJ guide. Which btw I LOVE. Great setup...

Yaweee

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Same thing happened to me...I'm still grinding to get to the recommended level 15 and my Strength persona to atleast level 7 for Phys Resist. That boss seriously owned me...and that was only the mini boss.
It's the 29th and things are getting tense. I've obviously gotta save Yukiko by the end of the day. At level 11 and not many floors to choose from with enemies that give a decent amount of EXP, I'm worried...Should I be?

Thank god for the DJ guide. Which btw I LOVE. Great setup...

I beat it at 12 on expert, so you should be okay.

The key is this:

Fuse that Physical Resist onto a Persona with media, and make sure it isn't immune to ice or fire. Spam heal every turn, and have Chie block if you're nearing the point where Yukiko uses the fire wave.

Yaweee said:
I beat it at 12 on expert, so you should be okay.

The key is this:

Fuse that Physical Resist onto a Persona with media, and make sure it isn't immune to ice or fire. Spam heal every turn, and have Chie block if you're nearing the point where Yukiko uses the fire wave.

So do you suggest direct control? I unfortunately don't have persona with media at this point, and I don't have Ukobach...Though maybe I could check the compendium. That just means I need to level Strength persona to get resist physical etc...Ugh I feel it's too late, not enough worthwhile EXP floating around to level with... Thanks though

Tamanon

Banned
Prime crotch said:
I so want the characters to shut up the victims before youknowwhat, fucking
Shadow Kanji and his buddies, just knock him in the head or something before they scream at their Shadows

At first I was the same way, but at the same time. I think that's the only way to defeat their shadow selves. Otherwise they might not be able to leave.

At the fourth dungeon boss now.

Legoman is a BITCH to fight, died a few times.

Luckily to level up I can just go down a level since the fights, while tough, give 4k-6k XP per battle and that's almost a level each time.

FredFish

OK I'd been avoiding this thread until I got my copy which finally arrived yesterday.
Some random thoughts after playing for a few hours: Getting "Player Advantage" is a lot harder than FES. P4 is awesome. I really like Teddie but I can see where he might provoke hatred from some gamers. P4 is awesome. Elizabeth>Margaret. P4 is awesome. Weather forecast is a little confusing ATM as I can't tell if the "cloud" symbol means fog or just cloudy weather but I'll find out soon enough
Hang in there Yukiko!
. P4 is awesome. The new card shuffle threw me for a loop originally but I've adapted. P4 is awesome. Let's see, what else; oh yeah Persona 4 is awesome!

Top Bottom