• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

TimeKillr

darkvir said:
Wow, this is the last game I'm pre ordering with EB. I've never been able to get *any* pre order bonus from them, and they are always late to boot.

I already received my P4 Social Expansion pack from amazon.ca and from now I'll just use them.

Thanks for the info though, I've printed the page out and will take it with me.

That's nice you got the Expansion Pack from amazon.ca.. Those guys will ship the actual game tomorrow and since I got super saver I had to pack in both items together :)

vilmer_

Just picked it up, YES!! They gave me the artbook with the game as well... I wasn't sure because I thought it was a pre-order bonus :D

vilmer_ said:
Just picked it up, YES!! They gave me the artbook with the game as well... I wasn't sure because I thought it was a pre-order bonus :D

Congratulations! I'm about 7 hours in right now, and the only break I had was a momentary visit to HOME. Back to Inaba. :D

Kevtones

All these people complaining of the easy difficulty. I didn't grind and the first dungeon (namely the sub-boss/boss) were generally tough. I beat the real boss on my last legs.

Loving this game.

A couple days ago, I got my Social Link pack, the game, and the artbook.

I can't even play the game, because I don't have a new TV yet. :(

I want to play this badly. :'(

kiryogi

Banned
Kevtones said:
All these people complaining of the easy difficulty. I didn't grind and the first dungeon (namely the sub-boss/boss) were generally tough. I beat the real boss on my last legs.

Loving this game.

Only that first boss was ever really anything challenging. There might be another one or twom but the rest don't really ever pose a threat like that.

Kevtones

kiryogi said:
Only that first boss was ever really anything challenging. There might be another one or twom but the rest don't really ever pose a threat like that.

Considering I finally finished P3 back in August, it felt weird to be slightly intimidated by a battle. I'd say for the last half of P3 I was generally a badass incapable of losing to a common opponent because my level was constantly high.

Blackjack

I found the second (real) boss to be a lot more challenging than the first. The first boss could only ever really damage Chie, and that's only if I didn't have her guarding.

The second boss, on the other hand... Power Charge + Swift Strike = ouch. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
I will say, status effects at least are useful in this game. Skull Cracker is the only reason I can even kill some shadows without being burned down.:D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fuck. Just got the game and I got nailed with the Canada game tax EB is charging again.

It's just sad that this is the first game that they're doing it with.

Blackjack

Duck Amuck said:
Chie's not even in your party in the first boss, no?

Skull Cracker is the shit. Especially when Chie does it. Chie's my favorite character in this game.
The first REAL boss. In other words,
Yukiko

kiryogi

Banned
Blackjack said:
The first REAL boss. In other words,
Yukiko

Yeah, Yosuke and Chie's shadows weren't actual bosses. Yosuke was like a tutorial and Chie's is sort of a midboss? Although that knight before Yukiko was more of a midboss if anything.

Classic Persona moment.

I was in the drama club.

Yumi mentioned something like :"You can help me practice later"

and I said "I'm so getting laid..."

then, mid-sentence, that girl comes in and says "Yumi, your mom collapsed!" and I said "God dammit: Drama."

There is always a catch.

Shouta

xs_mini_neo said:
That was done with a P3 hack, I think. I saw it on youtube. They even remixed the music to make it less repetitive. Whoever did that will probably do the same for P4.

Nah, I'm talking about having the Japanese VAs use the English script for their voice acting, not Japanese voices/English text.

Error said:
They did a great job with Teddie/Kuma at least. His JP voice was really irritating and annoying, it had that high-pitched JP voice I totally hate. They made him bear-able (LOL get it!?) in the English version.

He's definitely the best of the playable characters in the videos out so far. He has the slightly goofy voice that fits for the character but at a bearable pitch. That said, I love Kappei Yamaguchi's Kuma because I'm totally a Kappei whore. It also makes a lot of later things even funnier because his voice is so weird :lol

Joule said:
For those of you in Canada or more precisely Toronto, what's the price for P4? Seems like Eb's charging 49.99, while Gamecentre 44.99. Any place actually selling this for 39.99?

I ended up picking one up at Gamerama for $49.99 since it appears everyone is charging around that price. Hell, I didn't even preorder it and they gave me the artbook. I didn't even have to ask.

FSLink

Banned
Tamanon said:
Oh, it's "Formation"? I thought it was "Donation"! And yeah that song was stuck in my head when I went to sleep. Catchy tunes in the game.
I'm pretty sure it's "Your Affection" if I'm guessing which song you're referring to right.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Oh, that's lame. I picked up a damn reversed Moon card and I won't get shit for EXP in a while, man this game is cruel.

2DMention

Banned
Everybody's impressions on here + reviews are tempting me to break my personal law of playing 2 RPGs at once.

I know I won't get time to play this until Apr. if I don't play it now.

RPG schedule:

Dec. - Lost Odyssey
Jan. - SO2 Remake
Feb. - DQ5
Mar. - SO4
Apr. P4

Just got it meself. Graphics seem quite a bit better than Persona 3 on closer inspection, I enjoy the much closer camera as well. And Chie sounds like she's 32.

RyoHazuki

Two quick questions for people who've played this for a bit:

1) Is there a better way to get back out to the entrance of the dungeon other than running all the way back? Are their teleportation points like in P3?

2) When hanging out with someone, does having a persona of that persons type increase my chances of leveling up that social link?

Tamanon

Banned
RyoHazuki said:

1) Is there a better way to get back out to the entrance of the dungeon other than running all the way back? Are their teleportation points like in P3?

2) When hanging out with someone, does having a persona of that persons type increase my chances of leveling up that social link?

1) You'll want a Goho-M item. You can buy them in stores or find them in quests and elsewhere until you get the Traesto item. It'll teleport you out, and then when you re-enter you can start at the level you came from.

2) Having a persona of the same type increases the amount your S. Link goes up, so they rank up faster. Want to have one of them after the second or third rank for the most part.

RyoHazuki said:

1) There is an item that you can buy in the shop for about 900 yen.

2) Yes, having a matching persona adds more exp to that social link when you hang out.

Tamanon

Banned
Just unlocked multi-fusion and thank goodness it actually tells you what the Personas you can make are instead of waiting until you have all the required ones in your party. Means I won't waste time on iffy personas that I didn't even know what level they were.:D

george_us

This has to be the most likable cast of characters I've ever come across in a game. All of them (at least so far) have a natural chemistry to them that the P3 characters didn't have until 30 or so hours into the game. The scenes on the roof after you rescue Yukiko were awesome.

Yukiko's Tofu.:(

Wilsongt

So, after listening to Mass Destruction for nearly 100 hours, Mass Destruction -- The Answer version, and then Reach Out for the Truth... I gotta give the nod to Mass Destruction, the answer version. <3

Wilsongt said:
So, after listening to Mass Destruction for nearly 100 hours, Mass Destruction -- The Answer version, and then Reach Out for the Truth... I gotta give the nod to Mass Destruction, the answer version. <3

At first, I really didn't love the P4 music, but it's starting to grow on me. It really does remind me more of a mixture of P2 and P3's OSTs.

MechaX

Red Blaster said:
And Chie sounds like she's 32.

As good as her voice actor is, this is true (Although, I think she sounds a bit more convincing than Akihiko or Mitsuru).

... Although, surprisingly I did know a few (pretty) girls in high school that actually did sound like they were 32. Creepy, but true.

Darkman M

I feel weird for liking the P4 j-pop it really fits the game well oddly, also the cast of characters is great, although i haven't got my full cast yet the cast have already surpasses P3 characters imo.

Tamanon

Banned
The music fits IMO.

And the pacing is definitely different in the game from P3. In this one, you're basically trying to figure out the mystery throughout, and slowly assembling clues, but it's all intertwined. You don't feel that you go through dungeons just to train, you always have a purpose to them. I dunno, I think with more goals being put down it makes things feel more harried, but also more important. I'm starting to get a couple bad feelings about who the killer might be, but I'm sure I'll find out more later on.

Please don't be
Nanako or Ryutaro
!

Tamanon

Banned
Kevtones said:
What is the hour count to completion btw? Has the estimate been along the lines of P3?

I'm already 16 hours deep :lol

I've heard 70+ or so, but it all really depends on how much you explore, what you do. I know no matter how long it lasts, I'll probably start a max social link new game+ afterwards.:lol

I like that the New Game+ basically is like what you import to FES, your stats, your compendium and the Max S Link stuff. It doesn't start you at the level you finished. I like to have at least a little challenge on subsequent playthroughs.

suzu

Got the game earlier today... I was just listening to Retronauts' podcast about Persona series when the doorbell rang, lol. Going to get into the game right now.

Kevtones

Tamanon said:
I've heard 70+ or so, but it all really depends on how much you explore, what you do. I know no matter how long it lasts, I'll probably start a max social link new game+ afterwards.:lol

I like that the New Game+ basically is like what you import to FES, your stats, your compendium and the Max S Link stuff. It doesn't start you at the level you finished. I like to have at least a little challenge on subsequent playthroughs.

Sounds good, I spent 107 on P3 (not counting FES).

I'll probably bust out a second playthrough on expert if you can choose that the second time around. I'm interested in the challenge. Its been awhile since I've been eager to do that with a game this long and a backlog this enormous :lol

epmode

Tamanon said:
Does it allow you to change difficulty levels?

sca2511

i kind of wish they had the option to switch the voices to japanese. I really enjoyed Persona 3's voice acting in english, but when I started Persona 4 and met the girl with short hair... there was something about her voice that I didn't like.

Maybe I miss Mitsuru and Yukari too much.

Top Bottom