• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Y2Kev said:
Hmm, yeah, I don't think I have any strong v. physical personas, and I'm only level 15. But I made it really really far. I'm lowering his defense yes but I don't think I have the spell to lower his attack. Generally 2/4 people avoid the Rampage or everybody dies.

Well, uh, Slime learns Resist Physical, and you can pass it to any other Persona through fusion. But that's probably not going to cut it. I was level 23 when I did that fight, and my Strength Social Link was at a pretty high level so the Rakshasa was level 27.

I did it right before fighting the boss of the second dungeon.

Duck Amuck said:
But the books are random. I haven't had a manly book since my first one and the food in the fridge is totally random. Maybe the next book that'll be at the book store will raise my courage. Here's hoping!

I got my second Courage book at the beginning of June. A couple readings of that, plus reading the first book thoroughly, plus checking the fridge has gotten me to Courage rank 4 at mid-June. The only other boosters I've gotten have been a couple from conversations and a few boosts from taking the meat bowl challenge on rainy days. If you're falling behind in a stat taking the challenge a few times and resetting if you don't get the stats you want isn't a bad idea. It's not like there's much else to do when it rains.

NichM

Banned
Duck Amuck said:
I miss a lot from P3. I miss being able to talk to characters in the dungeon, their level up chants, and more. Those things were small, but they helped the characters feel more alive than the typical jrpg cast imo. Of course, P4's got P3 covered when it comes to that.

You can talk to characters in the dungeon. If you press the square button, there's an option to talk to the others in your party, and you might randomly meet up with people not in your party in rooms somewhere in the dungeon, where they might give you items as well as have conversations relevant to your current social link status with them.

Darkman M

Acid08 said:
Yukiko's other self. I guess main boss

try fusing archangel with resist physical, and resist fire and at lv 12 archangel learns media so it's a great persona to use for that fight. Make sure Chie is knocking down the extra shadow that heals, by using bufu on it.

zoku88

Acid08 said:
Yukiko's other self. I guess main boss
The prince is weak against ice, I think. Also, after defeating the prince, you should put Chie on manual and make her guard for most of the time. Unless Im thinking of the wrong boss

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
The only flaw with the game is the whodonit aspect. They did a Friday The 13th Part V. The killer might as well be wearing a flaming pink T-SHIRT with the words I did it!!! printed on in in neon letters.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Acid08 said:
I can't beat the last boss in Yukiko's Castle for the fucking life of me. Any tips?

Hit the Prince with ice then hammer him and hope for a dizzy. Once he's dead you'll get a free turn when she tries to summon another one and fails. Also either get a Persona with the Red Wall (I think Slime learns it, but I'm not entirely sure) ability and cast it on Chie after she starts using her big fire attack, or just have Chie defend a lot when she starts busting it out. If all else fails, level up. I think I was level 13 and didn't have a lot of trouble even without Red Wall.

Duck Amuck said:
Oh wow. What's the second courage book called?

It's the sequel to the first one from near the beginning of the game. All the talk about the spirit of masculinity, joys of manliness, and assorted other celebrations of testosterone, only in a more advanced format.

Acid08

Banned
zoku88 said:
The prince is weak against ice, I think. Also, after defeating the prince, you should put Chie on manual and make her guard for most of the time. Unless Im thinking of the wrong boss
Well I get the boss to half health and then it uses this move called Rise from Ashes or something and kills me every single time. I'm level 14 btw and my persona is level 11.

Blackjack

frostythecat said:
Does anyone know how to redeem the stickers that you get when you buy stuff from tanaka's show?
There's a mailbox in the shopping street, just examine it when you have three or more stickers.

9/09/2011

That date alone is the reason this game shall be GOTY. :lol

"So Kanji, you really were after my fuzzy furr." LMAONADE!

Regarding the school trip though, I heard that
Ken was supposed to make a cameo along with Chihiro.
Was I lied to or does he appear later?

Question: Is it different now when you hang out with school friends on days off? In P3, if you do this you can increase the "hidden" score which represents how good friends you are but you couldn't actually level the S.Link to the next level. You could only hang out after school for that to occur. Has this been changed in P4 or is it still the same?

firex

so annoyed at the optional boss in yukiko's castle. so. fucking. annoyed. I have tarunda and rakukaja available on the hero. I have sukukaja available from yosuke. I still die to Rampage, even when I do full buffs and guard against it.

ixix said:
There's a more reliable way to do something similar, actually.

Get up to level 17 and fuse a Sarasvati. Level her up to 19 and she'll learn Invigorate 2, which restores 5 SP per turn in combat. Then while dungeon crawling use your main character for all your out of battle healing needs and use him as much as possible for exploiting weaknesses and whatnot. When his SP runs out leave the dungeon you're in and go to Yukiko's Castle. Equip Sarasvati and get into a fight on the first floor and just have everyone defend until the main character's SP is full. Return to the dungeon you're actually exploring and go to town.

That works too. But that doesn't solve the problem with your teammates SP. That does help extend a single trip by miles though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yay! Got the game and will probably start today or tomorrow (been avoiding the thread afraid of untagged spoilers. :/ ). I'm addicted to too many games at the moment though, I really need to start controlling the gaming hours in my free time and adding Persona 4 to the list certainly won't help... :lol

I feel like I'm progressing soooo slooooow, but I'm enjoying every second of it. I just finished the the first optional boss
and boy was it close, but I barely took him down with just the main character left standing. It was totally worth it for that awesome Yukiko weapon though
. I'm almost overwhelmed by the amount of activities and S.Links to take on this time around and I'm only 5 days into May. Is everyone concentrating on stats first, then S.Links? That's what I did in P3, but I'm hurting from the lack of a shrine and knowledge is pretty brutal to rank up in.

Tamanon

Banned
I pretty much balanced it. Doing S Links that improved stats(Devil/Sun/Strength/Tower/Temperance) and then party members. I also worked on my expression a bit just because it was needed to advance the Heirophant/Justice S. Links and those were my favorite ones. Knowledge actually comes along rather well during the study times, studying with party members is great.

totowhoa

Banned
firex said:
so annoyed at the optional boss in yukiko's castle. so. fucking. annoyed. I have tarunda and rakukaja available on the hero. I have sukukaja available from yosuke. I still die to Rampage, even when I do full buffs and guard against it.

I'm playing on expert here. I first battled him with the MC, Yosuke, and Chie at 18 and Yukiko at 15. Rampage did not kill the MC, barely killed Yosuke and Chie, and whiped out Yukiko. I went and grinded the former characters up to 19 and Yukiko up to 17 and tried again. The second battle he didn't use Rampage a single time and it was a piece of a cake! Lucky, I guess. Obviously use Tarunda like crazy. I was casting Bufu with Chie, healing/attacking Yukiko, healing/attacking with Yosuke, and Tarunda/Zio with the MC. I did not have an archangel at the time, but since he's available that would be a big help due to his physical resistance... I didn't bother grabbing him since the MC was able to survive the move anyway. Anyway, hope that helps a bit, I guess. Rampage seems to be a pretty rare attack.

firex

yeah, I'm way lower level than that, so I just said fuck it, I'll do it later. or on a replay, if optional bosses go away after you progress to a point in the story.

also lol @ the shop owner's voice.
It's Aigis!

totowhoa

Banned
You could probably gain a few levels in ten to fifteen minutes with the enemies on the 7th floor. Do it while it rains and pick up some rare loot and get better equipment.

This is what you get for beating him, to help you decide:
At that level, I snagged about 450 experience, which was all right. I don't remember how much yen he dropped. When you beat him, walk up to the throne behind him and check the ground, and you will find a weapon for Yukiko that brings her attack up to ~95. So... this boss is completely skippable, really. Not much of a reward.

Tamanon

Banned
Also you get a courage boost for any optional boss you defeat.

I liked the weapons though, I know Yosukes gave him 40 SP which is huge at that level and I think Yukiko's gave the same

I just finished the second dungeon, and I am around lvl 26. How difficult is it to finish the second optional boss?

Also how hard is it to get Yukiko at max S-Link, and how hard is it to get her as a GF?

Thanks.

totowhoa

Banned
Tamanon said:
Also you get a courage boost for any optional boss you defeat.

I liked the weapons though, I know Yosukes gave him 40 SP which is huge at that level and I think Yukiko's gave the same

Oh yeah, forgot about the courage. Not sure how much it was, but all I've done so far to raise my courage was read the entirety of the first book available, and maybe one or two other things.. and the boss raised my courage up a level, so I'd say it was a hefty amout.

Yosuke got a weapon out of that? Was it sitting in the room also? Damn, I must have missed it!

Anybody know what determines whether or not you get double knowledge when studying at your desk? I'm pretty sure I've gotten it on both rainy and non-rainy days, so I'm not sure.

Tamanon

Banned
Sklorenz said:
Oh yeah, forgot about the courage. Not sure how much it was, but all I've done so far to raise my courage was read the entirety of the first book available, and maybe one or two other things.. and the boss raised my courage up a level, so I'd say it was a hefty amout.

Yosuke got a weapon out of that? Was it sitting in the room also? Damn, I must have missed it!

Anybody know what determines whether or not you get double knowledge when studying at your desk? I'm pretty sure I've gotten it on both rainy and non-rainy days, so I'm not sure.

Yosuke's weapon is back in the first district in the liquor store. You inspect one of the barrels and he has a wrench that gives him 40 SP. No boss fight there, just the weapon

birdchili

wohoo! first dungeon complete (i think - i just saved and quit late last night). level 12 for the final fight and took four tries to win (one persona reconfigure after the first epic failure, and then two strategy tweaks before victory). all my hp bars could be measured in micrometers when i dealt the finishing blow:) no grinding, and only minor swearing required.

unskippable cut scenes before the boss are annoying though.

i also think i messed up my current persona lineup for the daytime stuff when i reconfig'd. crappy. i'm so broke, and it ain't the kind of broke that making envelopes is going to fix.

greater emphasis on sp management, and having tv-world trips really cut into your social links (way more-so than in 3) really adds to the gameplay.

totowhoa

Banned
Work at the day care! 4000 yen a day, can't beat that early on. It said there was some stat requirement to have the job, but it didn't prevent me from picking it up.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, and you make more at Day Care the further along you get on the S. Link.

Of course the best way to make money is just to score the best on your exams:p

totowhoa

Banned
Really? I'm playing now. Just finished the exams and they're talking about some biker gang. I aced the test :D Can't wait to get some money then, I'm all spent right now.

Yaweee

So, how about S. Link progress?

I got the 'You're 50% Full' sometime over summer break (I can't remember when was the last time I went to the Velvet Room.

As of (date)
10/1 (a rainy saturday, which is going to be my one day in the dungeon)
, I only have one maxed, while everything else that I have except Moon is between 6 and 9, with tons of surplus points with my teammates, so hopefully those are only going to take no more than five days each.

The three I so far haven't opened are...
Fortune, Tower, Judgment. I doubt World is one. Is one Naoto, one the tutoring job, and the other story related?

Maxing them all is right out the window, I think, so I might completely ignore Moon unless forced. I might get all but two or three this run...

Tamanon

Banned
I had Magician maxed by June. The party ones go really quickly. As to the three you don't have yet:
Fortune=Naoto, Tower=tutor, Judgement = If you go on the good/true ending path

Anyone have a favorite one so far? I'm leaning towards Justice, just because Nanako is such a great character and the acting/story is so well done.

Yaweee

Tamanon said:
I had Magician maxed by June. The party ones go really quickly. As to the three you don't have yet:
Fortune=Naoto, Tower=tutor, Judgement = If you go on the good/true ending path

Anyone have a favorite one so far? I'm leaning towards Justice, just because Nanako is such a great character and the acting/story is so well done.

I intentionally held off on maxing them, as getting them high and clearing them only when forced seemed like the best way to go (no more neglect Reversals completely changes my approach to S. Links.

Justice and Hierophant are both very touching. Emperor is interesting and entertaining. I also like Temperance and Death.

Strength was a let down (the only one I maxed). I went Soccer team.

Blackjack

I maxed out the three party members I'm using ASAP for the in battle effects. Sun and Hierophant are also maxed. Everything else is anywhere from 1 (Tower) to 8 (Moon)

I'm not really feeling any of the social links this time, aside from Emperor. They're all basically
"Oh, I guess I was wrong to think about having any new hopes or dreams or otherwise breaking away from my current mundane conformist life." or in Rise's case "I hate being an idol I'm never going back no wait I'm going to be an idol again."

Tamanon

Banned
YuriLowell said:
So can anyone tell me what I have to say to Yukiko to get her to be my GF?

I must start my harem as soon as possible.

Rank 9, 2nd convo, 3rd choice makes it serious. It'll be pretty tough to miss

Yaweee

Duck Amuck said:
Nanako is adorable. Where do I get those three, specifically Judgement?

How do I get Death?
Is that the old lady at the hospital? They say she goes to the riverbed

Only on Sundays and holidays. Days off for the summer break do not count as holidays, however.

Blackjack said:
I maxed out the three party members I'm using ASAP.

I'm not really feeling any of the social links this time, aside from Emperor. They're all basically
"Oh, I guess I was wrong to think about having any new hopes or dreams or otherwise breaking away from my current mundane conformist life." or in Rise's case "I hate being an idol I'm never going back no wait I'm going to be an idol again."

The party member S. Links don't feel all that interesting, as they've all side stories to the main one, and can't focus on anything that would fundamentally change their characterization for story scenes. The one exception is Emperor, which so far seems to defy all expectations.

The school ones (sport, club, Ai) don't interest me much. Hanged Man is good, though.

However, the non-party, non-school ones are almost all great. Empress, Temp, Death, Devil, Hiero, Justice... not a bad one among them.

So far, it feels like the S. Links don't match up with their Arcana nearly as well as they did in P3, which makes guessing the 'correct' answers more difficult. Temperance, Hanged Man, Devil, and Death make sense, but I don't really see the connections for Magician, Sun, or Strength.

-----

I'm stuck on Hermit. What the hell do I do for the Ailurophobe? I've talked to everyone and town, and done all of his options, and fed the cat a few times, but there don't seem to be any solutions.

Blackjack

Duck Amuck said:
I agree. The s links aren't as interesting as in P3, but whatever, Personas!
I honestly only liked a few of the ones in P3, too (Tower, Sun, Hanged Man, and Chariot were pretty much it for me) so it's not like disappointment was unexpected, but man did I have hopes.

Blackjack

Tamanon said:
Some of the party ones are pretty bland, but the family ones are better than any P3 S-links, IMO.:D
Despite him being amazingly hot, I wasn't all that enamored with Dojima's. It was better than most of P3's, but I'd still put Tower or Sun from that one above Hierophant in this one.

Justice is only rank 5 because my Expression's still too low.

Tamanon

Banned
Duck Amuck said:
How do I make Chie my digital girl friend?

Rank 9, convo 3, answer 1

Ah, the ease of the strategy guide, plus it doesn't spoil what the actual events are, everything is just labeled by number.

The Social Links, to me at least, are better written than P3, I don't have to spend so much time pretending to care about some dumb fuck only to rise in rank, they feel more natural. They're still quirky in their own way but I like them.

Just unlocked Darth Maul,
I mean, Chie's second persona

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I got the game today! Kinda unexpected, I didn't think it'd get here until something like thursday. So I had to go to my brothers and borrow his chipped PS2 to be able to play it.

Either way; any tips for a rookie? I did finish Persona 3, but that's about as far as I've played these games.

Enron

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
I got the game today! Kinda unexpected, I didn't think it'd get here until something like thursday. So I had to go to my brothers and borrow his chipped PS2 to be able to play it.

Either way; any tips for a rookie? I did finish Persona 3, but that's about as far as I've played these games.

Persona is pretty straightforward. If you finished 3, you should have no trouble jumping into 4.

Tamanon

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:

Weakness can't be abused as much by you or the enemy. You get the extra attack, but they don't also lose their turn. Also if you're weak to something, Guarding negates it, so if you know they're going to cast a spell, you can preserve some health.

Costanza

Banned
Volcynika said:
Bah, the main boss of the second dungeon went crazy on my party.
I just finished that without doing any extra grinding at level 20. It took fucking forever and I didn't think I was going to make it, but I did! Taking out
Nice Guy
first makes it alot easier.

Volcynika

Costanza said:
I just finished that without doing any extra grinding at level 20. It took fucking forever and I didn't think I was going to make it, but I did! Taking out
Nice Guy
first makes it alot easier.

Yeah, I'm level 21/22, and I just did a quick run to see what weakness/strengths I could find in that battle. It's only my second run through the dungeon, might come back later and try to finish it on my third run.

Top Bottom