• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Acid08 said:
Nanako is so cute. I can't help but go awwwww after almost everything she says.

She is one of my favorite characters, that's for sure.

Oh, and I'm loving this cast of main characters even more every time I play the game.

"Oh, so what you were really saying was, "Kanji, why don't you beat the shit out of me?"" :lol

Crystalkoen said:
I dunno. If you lived in a backwater hickville such as Inaba, and were 6 years old, I imagine a trip to the local department store would be incredibly awesome.

Haha, my life right here. Although my town has like 200 people altogether and our Wal-Mart is like 20 minutes away, haha.

Ledsen

Wait... easy is the same as normal except for the revive items? :(
My girlfriend loves P3 and is going to play this one as well... but she hates dying, has never played another RPG and doesn't want to get into the intricacies of Persona fusing or spells. She didn't have to do this in P3 because easy was... well, easy. Has Atlus screwed her over? :(

edit: I obviously meant normal and not hard, sorry! Also, if she chooses easy and auto-control for her party so she only has to control the main char, how hard will it be do you think?

Tamanon

Banned
Ledsen said:
Wait... easy is the same as hard except for the revive items? :(
My girlfriend loves P3 and is going to play this one as well... but she hates dying, has never played another RPG and doesn't want to get into the intricacies of Persona fusing or spells. She didn't have to do this in P3 because easy was... well, easy. Has Atlus screwed her over? :(

Easy is the same as normal, but with the ressing items, not the same as hard.

Tetsuo9

Read if you have 30-40 hrs.

Just when I thought that it coudn't get any better, game is SO AWESOME in oct/nov, oh my god I laughed at the culture festival, and heaven was so good, I never got bored of the song

Working on heaven right now
.:D

Volcynika

Yay, beat it! Battle of endurance though, had to use a few revival beads, and some status curing ones, since SP was zero for the Protag near the end. Had a power charge attack about to hit me, but went all out and took it down. :D

So, there I am in the second dungeon. Just going along, getting to the second floor. Fighting a couple of enemies, about to win, because they were fairly weak...

Fucking "Last Resort". Seriously.

Maybe that was the game's way of telling me that I needed a break. At least I had saved right before going to the dungeon.

Volcynika

KuwabaraTheMan said:
So, there I am in the second dungeon. Just going along, getting to the second floor. Fighting a couple of enemies, about to win, because they were fairly weak...

Fucking "Last Resort". Seriously.

Maybe that was the game's way of telling me that I needed a break. At least I had saved right before going to the dungeon.

Yeah, I survived the first bout, but the second time I found em, I just ran.

I love the Arcana cards that can draw after you gain a Persona. I've never had my jaw drop to the floor when my SP was reduced to 1...

That really threw me for a loop

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
baphometbones said:
If only for the fact that his daughter is obviously so starved for contact with the outside world that she gets excited at the mere mention of a trip to the equivalent of Wal-Mart.
:lol :lol

Blackjack

iDoubleSpy said:
I love the Arcana cards that can draw after you gain a Persona. I've never had my jaw drop to the floor when my SP was reduced to 1...

That really threw me for a loop
Reverse Judgment
(Half SP)
, Death
(SP 1)
, and Devil
(lower your Persona's level)
* are definitely the worst ones.

When I say "lowers its level" I mean "Changes it to a lower level Persona"

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've gotten through the first hours now. Wow, there's a lot of story going on here, isn't it? It's been talk for like 2-3 hours. But unlike most J-RPG:s Persona 4's got an interesting story, one I like, so it's not too bad. There's this whole mystery vibe to it which I'm really liking so far.

Blackjack said:
Reverse Judgment
(Half SP)
, Death
(SP 1)
, and Devil
(lower your Persona's level)
* are definitely the worst ones.

When I say "lowers its level" I mean "Changes it to a lower level Persona"

I knew I was taking a gamble with the Death card, but I was hoping the card standing up would give me something worth it.

Im glad I need to stay away from that Devil card :(

Blackjack

iDoubleSpy said:
I knew I was taking a gamble with the Death card, but I was hoping the card standing up would give me something worth it.

Im glad I need to stay away from that Devil card :(
Upright Death does the same thing as reverse death, only
Your SP is recovered and your HP drops to 1

Tamanon said:
I don't see anything odd there, what do you mean?
"Decision 3 of the rank 8 event only appears during a second cycle if you picked the 3rd choice of decision 3 in the rank 6 event, and then picked the 1st choice of decision 2 in the rank 8 event."

That seems kinda odd...

Tamanon

Banned
Calints Neos said:
"Decision 3 of the rank 8 event only appears during a second cycle if you picked the 3rd choice of decision 3 in the rank 6 event, and then picked the 1st choice of decision 2 in the rank 8 event."

That seems kinda odd...

There's some S. Link stuff that changes in New Game+ based on what you did the first time with that S. Link.:lol

Narcosis

3rd dungeon question:

Is there any fast ways to kill Shadow Teddie? I'm hitting him and hitting him with anything i can think of and it seems that his health bar just does not go down fast enough. I'm able to survive his attack well enough, but I run out of SP after a while and only see I've knocked 1/4 of his health off

Tamanon

Banned
Narcosis said:
3rd dungeon question:

Is there any fast ways to kill Shadow Teddie? I'm hitting him and hitting him with anything i can think of and it seems that his health bar just does not go down fast enough. I'm able to survive his attack well enough, but I run out of SP after a while and only see I've knocked 1/4 of his health off

Use physical attacks, he's strong against all magic. Toss a Tarukaja on Chie and the MC and just go to town

Narcosis

Tamanon said:
Use physical attacks, he's strong against all magic. Toss a Tarukaja on Chie and the MC and just go to town

*sigh*

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case..

Oh well, guess I'll try that after I eat some food and hope this game doesn't draw me into yet another 6+ hour session :lol

Calints Neos said:

That seems kinda odd...
one of the first choices as well require courage which is impossible to get your first play-through...

so obviously there are some things you can only get on your second run through the game

Darkman M

dustytruly said:
one of the first choices as well require courage which is impossible to get your first play-through...

so obviously there are some things you can only get on your second run through the game

My courage is already maxed out.

Tamanon

Banned
So which healer are you guys using? Yukiko or Teddie?

I'm a bit torn right now, Yukiko gets Me Patra and what seems to be slightly better offensive spells, but Teddie gets Matakuraja and Energy Boost, plus he seems to get healing spells earlier. I might just stick with Yukiko so that Chie isn't redundant as a froster.

Darkman: He's referring to some choices waaaaaay early on in the game that require high courage to do, those are only on a second or third playthrough.

Volcynika

Yeah, when you first get Chie's number, you can't just ask outright for it (have to say its for the investigation), so that's a choice you can only do if you have high enough courage.

Darkman M

Tamanon said:

I'm a bit torn right now, Yukiko gets Me Patra and what seems to be slightly better offensive spells, but Teddie gets Matakuraja and Energy Boost, plus he seems to get healing spells earlier. I might just stick with Yukiko so that Chie isn't redundant as a froster.

Darkman: He's referring to some choices waaaaaay early on in the game that require high courage to do, those are only on a second or third playthrough.

Ahhh i see, yukiko is definitely where it's at when it comes to healing.

I might be doing it wrong by using Direct Command, but i've been sorta using my main character "Raidou Clarkson" (top gears Jeremy Clarkson i might add!) as my all around badass.

I try to keep a persona with every type of element skill and healing skills. It becomes useful in a pinch

Blackjack

Tamanon said:

Teddie vs. Yukiko:
Teddie starts off getting healing spells earlier, but won't learn Samarecarm and Mediarahan until levels 63 and 70 respectively, versus Yukiko's 59 and 65 for the same spells. Adding in the facts that Me Patra is better than Energy Shower (Rage and Confusion are two of the worst status effects there are) and Yukiko learns Salvation (on level 72), the choice for best healer is pretty obvious

I can't comment in terms of stats, since I don't use Teddie at all, but I'm pretty sure Yukiko has higher Magic, and way more SP so she can do more than just conserve for healing, although I think Teddie has a fairly impressive SP pool himself.

Tamanon

Banned
Good points. The other option is to just be in charge of healing myself since Mediarama + Divine Grace you can get around level 40 or so. Then load up with Kanji, Chie and Yosuke....although Kanji kinda blows.:(

Blackjack

Tamanon said:
Good points. The other option is to just be in charge of healing myself since Mediarama + Divine Grace you can get around level 40 or so. Then load up with Kanji, Chie and Yosuke....although Kanji kinda blows.:(
My Kanji is awesome :( Like, magic damage comparable to Yosuke--which is really only 20-30 less than Yukiko + Massive HP. I do wish he had some sort of SP to speak of, though. :lol

But really you should just use the characters you like the most.

Man, the 5/20 scene with Nanako
when Dojima yelled at her and she started crying. That was so sad. I really have started to love her character. I thought she'd just be an annoying little kid, but she's awesome.

Tamanon said:

Man, for reasons like this and many others, I can really see myself giving this game multiple playthroughs. Freaking lifestealer.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Man, for reasons like this and many others, I can really see myself giving this game multiple playthroughs. Freaking lifestealer.

By now this isnt spoilers, but if playing the game twice, or three times is the only way I can see "Courage" needed answers, count me out.

I might try it for a few hours on hard, but thats only to make sure I still have two testies.

jlh

Okay I may have missed this because I only skimmed through the thread for fear of spoilers. But I'm having a hard time in Yukiko's Castle.

I am currently on the 5th floor but everytime I try to move to one of the doors to open it the game warps my party someplace else on the floor. How do I move around the warps to get to the boss I'm supposed to fight on the 5th floor?

Tamanon

Banned
jlh said:
Okay I may have missed this because I only skimmed through the thread for fear of spoilers. But I'm having a hard time in Yukiko's Castle.

I am currently on the 5th floor but everytime I try to move to one of the doors to open it the game warps my party someplace else on the floor. How do I move around the warps to get to the boss I'm supposed to fight on the 5th floor?

You'll want the eastern door, the way to reach it is to go clockwise until you hit the teleporter outside of it, then when it ports you south, turn around and go back counterclockwise.

Once you beat the boss, the teleporters shut off.

jlh

Tamanon said:
You'll want the eastern door, the way to reach it is to go clockwise until you hit the teleporter outside of it, then when it ports you south, turn around and go back counterclockwise.

Once you beat the boss, the teleporters shut off.

Thanks a lot!

I've been running around in circles for hours trying to figure that out.

I'm in shock right now.
END GAME SPOILERS
I was fighting the real final boss. I basically had them beat. I was on their second form and they had just a little bit of health left. All of a sudden they pulled out two attacks they hadn't used, nor did I know they even possessed and one (or two I guess) hit KOed my whole party at full health. What. The. Fuck? FULL HEALTH! What the hell else do they want me to do?

Top Bottom