• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Kryptonic

I have never played any SMT games but put about 7 hours into P4 this weekend and enjoying it quite a bit. Hopefully I'll stick with it and actually finish the game. Most RPG's I usually lose interest about halfway through.

Kweh

Just got the game today, and starting it, it's asking me to put in my last name, but won't let me confirm it? I have to go over 2 lines or something? I am crap at making up names though!

Yaweee

Kweh said:
Just got the game today, and starting it, it's asking me to put in my last name, but won't let me confirm it? I have to go over 2 lines or something? I am crap at making up names though!

You need to enter your Last Name on the top line, and First Name on the bottom line, before you are allowed to hit 'confirm'.

TimeKillr

bryehn said:
My game/expansion finally shipped from amazon.ca :D

I just checked my amazon.ca order status and FINALLY

Shipment #1: Shipping Soon
1 of: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 [Video Game]
1 of: Persona 4 Social Link Expansion Pack [Accessory]

It's about time, Amazon.

Tamanon said:
Weakness can't be abused as much by you or the enemy. You get the extra attack, but they don't also lose their turn. Also if you're weak to something, Guarding negates it, so if you know they're going to cast a spell, you can preserve some health.

They lose their turn if you exploit their weakness while they're down :/

JEKKI

I've played this game like 3 times so far... started on friday and played a couple times yesterday...

I swear, every time I turn the game on I jus HAVE TO watch the opening video!!

it's so good!! before the game came out I watched it on youtube a lot also!!

Does anyone know if there is any benefit to building the 2nd unfinished model (the first was for one of the hermit s.links). That is, is there any benefits other then diligence. I really don't want to waste 6-7 nights on this thing unless necessary. I'm right before the second exams and really want to study, fish, or do some night s.links.

Volcynika

JEKKI said:
I've played this game like 3 times so far... started on friday and played a couple times yesterday...

I swear, every time I turn the game on I jus HAVE TO watch the opening video!!

it's so good!! before the game came out I watched it on youtube a lot also!!

:lol

I always watch it when I start up the game myself.

Ok where in the hell is the person I need to help on the ema's request about improving someone's expretion? This town ain't that big and I still can't find him/her.

Blackjack

Prime crotch said:
Ok where in the hell is the person I need to help on the ema's request about improving someone's expretion? This town ain't that big and I still can't find him/her.
If it's the one I'm thinking of
school roof on non-rainy days

Let me also ask the Persona vets to give tips for Rookies....

I plan on tearing into this game tonight, but I'd like to make sure I start out strong. Any general or specific help would be appreciated....

Yaweee

Whoompthereitis said:
Let me also ask the Persona vets to give tips for Rookies....

I plan on tearing into this game tonight, but I'd like to make sure I start out strong. Any general or specific help would be appreciated....

1) Don't run around with a Persona that has a simple weakness (Physical or any of the four basic elements). Instant death spells are not very prominent early on, so being weak against those are safe.

2) Buy a lot of Goho-M's. Warp out of the dungeon to save regularly, as you can instantly return to your highest floor whenever.

3) Hit enemies with their weakness, and go for knockdown attacks.

4) You cannot restore SP easily for the first few dungeons, so make use of your physical attacks. Yeah, they use up HP, but it is a hell of a lot easier to to recover.

5) Fuse constantly. Fill up your Persona inventory, and fuse up something better. More useful skills, fewer weakness, more resistances, or just plain level are what make things 'better'. Don't develop any sort of emotional attachment to them, and keep in mind the nice exp boost from your social links.

6) Don't waste many phases buffing stats when you could be doing social links.

---

My understanding is lagging and I want to have it maxed by the time I complete the other night S. Links. How do I improve it, except for Day Care?

Blackjack

Yaweee said:
My understanding is lagging and I want to have it maxed by the time I complete the other night S. Links. How do I improve it, except for Day Care?
Day Care, folding origami cranes (part time job), books, rainy day meat bowl challenge at Aiya, and probably some other ways I'm forgetting.

Majmun

I've flipped a bad arcana card and all my battles only earn me 1 EXP?

How long does this curse last? It's pissing me off.

Stupid question, but I need to know before I get it. Are the stupidly long stretches between save points and/or something interesting happening from Persona 3 gone? I had to stop P3 because I just didn't have the time on a consistent basis to finish it.

Majmun

Blackjack said:
Taking a new Arcana Chance should have gotten rid of it, no?

I have equipped some Personae that I don't want to get rid off. So no... :(

Is a cursed Arcana a timed thing, or does it wear off after an amount of baatles? Mine wore off after six battles..

Blackjack

Second said:
I have equipped some Personae that I don't want to get rid off. So no... :(

Is a cursed Arcana a timed thing, or does it wear off after an amount of baatles? Mine wore off after six battles..
Eh? You don't need to get rid of Persona for an Arcana chance...

RyoHazuki

Don't know if this has been answered in this thread but can you reverse social links like in P3 by not hanging out with people for a while?

Yaweee

RyoHazuki said:
Don't know if this has been answered in this thread but can you reverse social links like in P3 by not hanging out with people for a while?

No. And it is all the more fantastic for it.

R Squared said:
Stupid question, but I need to know before I get it. Are the stupidly long stretches between save points and/or something interesting happening from Persona 3 gone? I had to stop P3 because I just didn't have the time on a consistent basis to finish it.

The game does a substantially better job of keeping the story interesting as you progress, instead of 'Big Bad Shadows one by one until we kill all twelve'. However, there is still a lot of downtown during the middle months, with about five weeks between dungeon deadlines. Also, you don't always have access to the dungeons, with sometimes 2-3 weeks after a deadline where the next dungeon hasn't yet opened up, leaving any dungeon exploration useful only towards leveling, quests, or the extra bosses that spawn where the major ones were.

I suspect that it picks up more near the end (instead of slowing down like P3), but the pacing is one of major complaints.

Yaweee said:
No. And it is all the more fantastic for it.

The game does a substantially better job of keeping the story interesting as you progress, instead of 'Big Bad Shadows one by one until we kill all twelve'. However, there is still a lot of downtown during the middle months, with about five weeks between dungeon deadlines. Also, you don't always have access to the dungeons, with sometimes 2-3 weeks after a deadline where the next dungeon hasn't yet opened up, leaving any dungeon exploration useful only towards leveling, quests, or the extra bosses that spawn where the major ones were.

I suspect that it picks up more near the end, but the pacing is one of major complaints.

Awesome, thanks. I loved Persona 3, but time constraints killed the game for me. I'm sure I can take the few downtime weeks, if I'm rewarded with an amazing JRPG.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Guled said:
Every day's great at your Junes! ♫♪♪
-STFU
-You're pretty good at singing ◄
-Have I reminded you lately about how your Dad is never around to love you?

Y2Kev said:
Someone really needs to call CPS on Dojima.

If only for the fact that his daughter is obviously so starved for contact with the outside world that she gets excited at the mere mention of a trip to the equivalent of Wal-Mart.

First Post!

Anyway, I'm about to finish the 2nd dungeon, but I've been mainly working on social link guide and quest guide.

I'm only about 15 hours into and I am already starting to feel the burn. The story is pretty deep and am interested in how far it goes before I start scratching my head.

hopefully I can keep this thread alive, its the reason I joined

Evlar

Banned
iDoubleSpy said:
First Post!

Anyway, I'm about to finish the 2nd dungeon, but I've been mainly working on social link guide and quest guide.

I'm only about 15 hours into and I am already starting to feel the burn. The story is pretty deep and am interested in how far it goes before I start scratching my head.

hopefully I can keep this thread alive, its the reason I joined
Welcome to GAF. Looking at the P3 threads I don't think you have to worry about keeping this one alive.

Evlar said:
Welcome to GAF. Looking at the P3 threads I don't think you have to worry about keeping this one alive.

I am torn between finishing P3 Fes or just carry on with P4. I loved the characters of P3 and even don't mind the whole 1 dungeon system.

P4 just has so much more charm, and the small things like direct commands make my stress fade away.

Crystalkoen

baphometbones said:
If only for the fact that his daughter is obviously so starved for contact with the outside world that she gets excited at the mere mention of a trip to the equivalent of Wal-Mart.

I dunno. If you lived in a backwater hickville such as Inaba, and were 6 years old, I imagine a trip to the local department store would be incredibly awesome.

As for the game itself, love it. It addresses everything I had a problem with from P3 (mainly game mechanic issues, no idea on recurring enemy types yet), and went way above my expectations for a sequel. Just finished the first dungeon's optional boss, just learned about the second person being abducted (that's available to be saved), but not to the point of going into the TV after them.

The key to that first optional boss?
Getting lucky. Rampage hits the entire party for 1-3 hits. If you get lucky and it only hits 1-2 times while you have Tarunda on him, you can usually survive unless he chains it. In the end, I did it at level 18 with a Resist Physical/Tarunda Cu Sith, and my main character was the only one alive, 1 turn from dying. Physical Mirrors are a big help for keeping Yukiko up.

But yeah, got about 18 hours into the game right now, and I can safely say it's my favorite RPG of all time, possibly favorite game outright.

In closing...
Every day's great at your Junes! ♫♪♪

Crystalkoen said:
I dunno. If you lived in a backwater hickville such as Inaba, and were 6 years old, I imagine a trip to the local department store would be incredibly awesome.

I feel bad for her, so I try to hang out with her whenever possible. I just hope I start to get more freedom with my choice when hanging out with her.

Top Bottom