• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So Nich, since you're around (and nobody asked in the readermail on last week's Retronauts), do you guys do any localizing of the animated cutscenes, and if so, how? I've noticed that sometimes critical elements of the cutscenes are in English-- for example, the name and logo of the soda early in Persona 4. Is this stuff redone or is the team in Japan using English for some of the scenes?

grandjedi6 said:
Atlus's Persona 4 wallpaper sucks so I decided to make my own:

(click for bigger, size = 1280x800)

This is going to replace wallpaper right now :)

I'll just have to resize it for my monitor though :p

Yaweee

So, I went until October without realizing you could run around outside the Dojima Residence. I thought selecting it on the map would just give me the option of ending the phase.

Did I miss anything useful, except for free bait?

Is this the cat needed for the Ailurophobe? I've been stuck on that quest for months.

Tamanon

Banned
Yaweee said:
So, I went until October without realizing you could run around outside the Dojima Residence. I thought selecting it on the map would just give me the option of ending the phase.

Did I miss anything useful, except for free bait?

Is this the cat needed for the Ailurophobe? I've been stuck on that quest for months.

Yes, that's the cat you need. Also you can play with him to increase understanding and expression.

Tamanon said:
Yes, that's the cat you need. Also you can play with him to increase understanding and expression.

I've been hoping that when working with Fox on quests he will bring the recovery cost down by ALOT. I tested it with Rank 2 a few nights ago and it was going to cost me 45,000 yen.

iDoubleSpy said:
I've been hoping that when working with Fox on quests he will bring the recovery cost down by ALOT. I tested it with Rank 2 a few nights ago and it was going to cost me 45,000 yen.

I got him to rank 4 or 5 and he's still super fucking expensive. You'd probably have to max him out for him to be helpful. It's usually just better to go home and recover then go back to the dungeon the next day. It doesn't help that his quests are basically "go help this person" then wander around town talking to everyone till you luck across the person he was actually talking about. Then figure out what the hell they want.

Tenks

*sigh* was in dungeon2 for about 45 minutes getting a bunch of XP and items then the MC got hit by a mudo spell. Now I remember why these games piss me off from time to time. *sigh*

NichM

Banned
Y2Kev said:
So Nich, since you're around (and nobody asked in the readermail on last week's Retronauts), do you guys do any localizing of the animated cutscenes, and if so, how? I've noticed that sometimes critical elements of the cutscenes are in English-- for example, the name and logo of the soda early in Persona 4. Is this stuff redone or is the team in Japan using English for some of the scenes?

As you probably saw in the same cutscene, if something is really critical (I dunno if a soda label counts...) we'll add a subtitle, like for Dojima's text message to the MC. But we don't have the ability to go into the animation scenes and make changes to the art, so subtitles are the best we can do.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your question. No, the team in Japan just likes to use English here and there. It wasn't our input.

Finished up the third dungeon tonight. I'm glad I went when I did. The fog set in sooner after that than I expected.

Also
that Teddie shadow was freaky as hell.

Shearie

Something that has left me perplexed is if there is any difference between glancing through a book or giving it your complete attention. It doesn't seem like there is anything different unless my theory holds true that if you have multiple books, you can glance through several of them to slightly raise different attributes. Since I get books right when they come out and read them to completion before a new one is released, I haven't had a chance yet to test out my theory.

So does anyone know if there is any difference between the two options?

Two questions:

a) If I sucked balls at P3, but enjoyed what I played (and hated that there was only one dungeon). Will I enjoy P4?

b) Would someone who isn't very familiar with these games NEED a strategy guide?

Yaweee

Shearie said:
Something that has left me perplexed is if there is any difference between glancing through a book or giving it your complete attention. It doesn't seem like there is anything different unless my theory holds true that if you have multiple books, you can glance through several of them to slightly raise different attributes. Since I get books right when they come out and read them to completion before a new one is released, I've haven't had a chance yet to test out my theory.

They give the same rewards per phase, but you finish the book sooner if you glance through it (which means you get less total points, but you can move on to a different book faster.

----------

Tower:

"Wow, you're a little prick."

I picked it. It wasn't the right answer, but it should have been.

--------

Jimmy Stav said:
Two questions:

a) If I sucked balls at P3, but enjoyed what I played (and hated that there was only one dungeon). Will I enjoy P4?

b) Would someone who isn't very familiar with these games NEED a strategy guide?

a) Though I can't say whether or not you'll like it, there are numerous dungeons, each with their own distinct visual designs and music. Most floors are randomly created like in P3, while a few are preset. The major boos fights are almost all better designed than anything out of P3, and the story develops more consistently and in more interesting ways.

b) No.

-----

I wish the game had walk-by scenes near the beginning like FES did. I really liked those.

-----

I hate how the music cuts out at the calendar transition during exam weeks. It didn't do that in P3, did it?

Volcynika

Shearie said:
Something that has left me perplexed is if there is any difference between glancing through a book or giving it your complete attention. It doesn't seem like there is anything different unless my theory holds true that if you have multiple books, you can glance through several of them to slightly raise different attributes. Since I get books right when they come out and read them to completion before a new one is released, I've haven't had a chance yet to test out my theory.

There's not. I haven't tried both, but the guide says reading thoroughly just gives you a sample from the book's text.

EDIT: Yawee is more right than I am!

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Jimmy Stav said:
Two questions:

Depends.

There's multiple dungeons, but they all have the same random-ish feel to them. They keep me satisfied visually, anyway.

And as long as you've got a handle on weak vs strong elements, and can think a few turns ahead for the boss fights, you should be ok without one. Unless you're a completionist.

Shearie

They give the same rewards per phase, but you finish the book sooner if you glance through it (which means you get less total points, but you can move on to a different book faster.

That doesn't make sense to me since you you can pick what book you want to read when you sit at the couch, unless you can't pick another book to read once you start one. I wouldn't know since I've never had more than one book at the same time.

Darkman M

Tenks said:
*sigh* was in dungeon2 for about 45 minutes getting a bunch of XP and items then the MC got hit by a mudo spell. Now I remember why these games piss me off from time to time. *sigh*

:lol That happened to me early on in the game, but once you get your social links up with your party members they will take the fall for you.

I remember being in a battle that i got caught switching to a persona with a weakness, the shadows immediately started exploiting it nd one by one all my party members stepped in and took the mortal blow for me and i ended up surviving the battle, it was really awesome how it happened.

Volcynika

Shearie said:
That doesn't make sense to me since you you can pick what book you want to read when you sit at the couch, unless you can't pick another book to read once you start one. I wouldn't know since I've never had more than one book at the same time.

I've had two books at once, and it wouldn't let me choose which one to read. I could only read the one I was currently in the middle of.

Shearie

:lol That happened to me early on in the game, but once you get your social links up with your party members they will take the fall for you.

Your allies can't take the fall for you if you're hit with a group attack spell though.

rainking187 said:
I got him to rank 4 or 5 and he's still super fucking expensive. You'd probably have to max him out for him to be helpful. It's usually just better to go home and recover then go back to the dungeon the next day. It doesn't help that his quests are basically "go help this person" then wander around town talking to everyone till you luck across the person he was actually talking about. Then figure out what the hell they want.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm just about to turn in a quest to rank him up then I think I'll sit on it untill spring break.

Jimmy Stav said:
Two questions:

A) I hated how stupid the AI would sometimes which I would say made you "suck". It feels alot more controlled since you can Direct Command everyone is P4. I find myself smacking my head because of player error.

B) I would say Yes. There is alot of depth to the game, but If you are someone who likes to enjoy an experience without peaking at the "Best" solution for every problem, then No.

That being said there is alot to grasp from the first 5 ACTUAL hours of gameplay.

Acid08

Banned
Put 6 straight hours in today. Gonna make some food and then probably play more. My dormant hate of instant death spells came out today though. I powered through 4 floors of a dungeon today. Went up about 3 levels and got a ton of great new Persona's I really wanted to fuse. Ran out of Goho-H btw. Pick a fight with a monster, boom instant death spell, and I lost 2 hours of play time, experience, items, and Persona's. I wanted to murder a child.

Acid08 said:
Put 6 straight hours in today. Gonna make some food and then probably play more. My dormant hate of instant death spells came out today though. I powered through 4 floors of a dungeon today. Went up about 3 levels and got a ton of great new Persona's I really wanted to fuse. Ran out of Goho-H btw. Pick a fight with a monster, boom instant death spell, and I lost 2 hours of play time, experience, items, and Persona's. I wanted to murder a child.

I feel you on that one. Shame it happened to me 3 times though

MoogPaul

Are there any specialty armor in P4 that changes the looks of the characters like the swim trunks or maid outfits?

edit: and on sundays can I call people to hang out or do you have to wait for people to call you like P3? I thought I heard somewhere you could...

MoogPaul said:
Are there any specialty armor in P4 that changes the looks of the characters like the swim trunks or maid outfits?

I've been looking forward to that also. Chei wouldn't do so fine in a maid outfit, but Yukiko on the other hand :p

Tamanon

Banned
There aren't any outfits that change appearance.

And on Sundays you don't call others, but there are some scripted calls. Plus many of your party members are available for regular S Link stuff on Sundays. So you can still rank up then.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
NichM said:
As you probably saw in the same cutscene, if something is really critical (I dunno if a soda label counts...) we'll add a subtitle, like for Dojima's text message to the MC. But we don't have the ability to go into the animation scenes and make changes to the art, so subtitles are the best we can do.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your question. No, the team in Japan just likes to use English here and there. It wasn't our input.

Dude, I guess you might not be the one to talk to about stuff like this, but you guys gotta make these games come out in a faster pace in Europa. I mean, Persona 3 came out like year(s?) after the US version. I know P4 is gonna get released here, but with the diffuse date "2009". Which meant I had to, for the first time, import a PS2-game from the US.

Acid08 said:

I think I started a thread about the instant death-spells here on GAF once.. Here it is.

A lot of the replies were like "bibubibue, you can easily always avoid it, part of the game, it's great, yada yada, bibubibue".

eXistor

Just started the game yesterday and went through the intro-stuff (which really sets the mood well btw). I can't really comment on anything yet, but I had ordered the guide along with the game and I just have to ask:

Are all Double Jump guides like this? If so, then I can't imagine going back to other guides. I can't quite vouch for the info on the inside yet, but just the size of the guide (same size and thickness as a dvd case) is just so logical. They also manage to avoid spoilers pretty much altogether.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Phew. Gotta level up a bit more for the final boss, but it's been one hell of a ride.

Thank God I waited until I was done with finals, it's been wake up, play this, go to work, come back, eat, and play til 2 a.m., everday.

Only thing that I apparently missed is that with the fortune s-link......
in that I apparently need to wait until the 2nd cycle to get Naoto as a significant other....either that or I fucked something up while not reading the guide, which is subsequently wrong :p

Ledsen

ItsInMyVeins said:
Dude, I guess you might not be the one to talk to about stuff like this, but you guys gotta make these games come out in a faster pace in Europa. I mean, Persona 3 came out like year(s?) after the US version. I know P4 is gonna get released here, but with the diffuse date "2009". Which meant I had to, for the first time, import a PS2-game from the US.

Since Squenix, not Atlus, is publishing this in Europe, I doubt NichM can tell you anything at all about that. He's not the "you guys" in this case ;)

itsinmyveins

Ledsen said:
Since Squenix, not Atlus, is publishing this in Europe, I doubt NichM can tell you anything at all about that. He's not the "you guys" in this case ;)

Yeah, I suspected that, but I assumed Atlus has a say in all of it, even though not directly. I wasn't really talking about P4 either, since it's already been somewhat scheduled, more like the upcoming ones and other games from Atlus. I'm just saying that it'd be cool if we didn't have to wait for a year extra to play a PS2 game already out in the US.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ItsInMyVeins said:
Yeah, I suspected that, but I assumed Atlus has a say in all of it, even though not directly. I wasn't really talking about P4 either, since it's already been somewhat scheduled, more like the upcoming ones and other games from Atlus. I'm just saying that it'd be cool if we didn't have to wait for a year extra to play a PS2 game already out in the US.
Atlus Japan maybe but I doubt Atlus USA has any control over what releases in Europe.

itsinmyveins

grandjedi6 said:
Atlus Japan maybe but I doubt Atlus USA has any control over what releases in Europe.

Of course not, but he can tell Atlus Japan what the dilly is, man!

It ought to be obvious, but releasing PS2-games years after their release in Japan isn't the most awesome stratgey imho. If you do that I'm sure a lot of the possible market in EU has either forgotten about the game or imported it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
started playing the game finally, i have a question, im in the first castle dungeon, i'm not seeing any option to have my party split up and look for things like they could in P3.

is that feature scrapped or will i get to do that later on ? because that was a real time saver.

also, i was sort of expecting chea to be a little high pitched, you know, the way she looks she should have a more squeakish voice.

Ledsen

ItsInMyVeins said:
Of course not, but he can tell Atlus Japan what the dilly is, man!

It ought to be obvious, but releasing PS2-games years after their release in Japan isn't the most awesome stratgey imho. If you do that I'm sure a lot of the possible market in EU has either forgotten about the game or imported it.

I doubt it's part of their strategy to release games a year late in Europe. More likely then not it's unavoidable due to translation being a timesink for text-heavy games such as Persona.

Duelist

So I started playing this a couple of days ago. I literally just finished
Yukiko's Castle

This game is in the position to surpass P3:FES for me already. Everything just seems more polished and stylized. Although if I had one gripe, it'd be that music that plays whenever you explore the town. I can see that grating on my nerves very easily with 100+ hours of play time.

Oh, and I think the voice acting is pretty solid across the board.

itsinmyveins

Ledsen said:
I doubt it's part of their strategy to release games a year late in Europe. More likely then not it's unavoidable due to translation being a timesink for text-heavy games such as Persona.

Did they add german, spanish and french to P3? If so, I can see why it took so long, even though it's annoying for me who'll play the english version either way. And the reason for games taking a long time to be released here can depend on a lot of various reasons other than language issues, I'm guessing.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Volcynika said:
What's a quick and easy combo to do the first part of
Margaret's request?
Use Sylph as the base. It's got Sukukaja as one of it's skills. Try until Ippon-Datara inherits it.

Kevtones

Cleared the second dungeon, I struggled a bit with the enemies for a bit (on my runs) but then I remembered about all my accrued weapon crafting items that I hadn't cashed in :lol. I I DOMINATED the boss at level 25 and I'm currently on 5/27. I really like the Dojima S-Link for some reason too...

Top Bottom