• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
YuriLowell said:
Okay I think I am around 26 so I am good to go.

Who are you using in your party?

ME,Yukiko,Chie,and Kanji

I can't play without Yosuke. He's just too useful being a heavy hitter, having tons of SP, Dekaja and even spot healing.

Plus he's got Suzaku's VA from Code Geass.

Blackjack

YuriLowell said:
Okay I think I am around 26 so I am good to go.

Who are you using in your party?

ME,Yukiko,Chie,and Kanji
I stuck with Me, Kanji, Yosuke, and Yukiko. There is nothing we cannot overcome.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Tamanon said:
I can't play without Yosuke. He's just too useful being a heavy hitter, having tons of SP, Dekaja and even spot healing.

Plus he's got Suzaku's VA from Code Geass.

Ha, he really helped me, but the only problem was, since he always went first, and always ended up using some form of garu, he was always out of sp before anyone else. :p

Metroidvania said:
Ha, he really helped me, but the only problem was, since he always went first, and always ended up using some form of garu, he was always out of sp before anyone else. :p

Am I the only one that directly controls all of my characters?
This decreases deaths due to stupidity of the AI.

Metroidvania

YuriLowell said:
Am I the only one that directly controls all of my characters?
This decreases deaths due to stupidity of the AI.

Nah, I had him on direct control as well. Still ended up using too much sp, I use it as a crutch rather than relying on status skills like I should.

I still rely on SP, but not quite as heavily when I first started.

I want to know if anyone is still letting the AI control the characters.

Wow, hmm yeah this is harder. I'm only on the ending of I guess it's the first dungeon and getting owned. I'm guessing level 10 just isn't high enough for the final bird boss.

zoku88

YuriLowell said:

I am, except for boss battles because I need to be able to tell the characters to guard... :-/

Hmm...my party consists of Kanji, Yukiko, and Yosuke; It's been the same combination for every dungeon since I switched Chie for Kanji (<3)--they are an awesome combo, and I don't feel like I need any of the other characters, to be honest.

OMG...I love Kanji :D Too awesome.

frankthurk said:
Wow, hmm yeah this is harder. I'm only on the ending of I guess it's the first dungeon and getting owned. I'm guessing level 10 just isn't high enough for the final bird boss.
Yeah, 10 is way too low--I myself was 17 when I beat it (after losing a lot when I was a lower level). Strategy goes out the window if you're too low since you wouldn't even be able to take some of the hits. Level up in the two previous floors, and make sure to have Goho-Ms with you and Vanish Balls in case of emergency/to go home and rest and try again. I usually grind until my characters' SP is getting too low.

Crystalkoen

Any half/half icon means Partly. Partly sunny/cloudy, only raining half the day, etc. You'll know when the Midnight Channel is available based on whether the icon's Rain during the Evening time. And yeah, a few days straight of rain means fog's coming afterward.

And I have to say, Reach Out to the Truth is far better than Mass Destruction for battle music. Hell, I like the entire soundtrack more than I did P3. Persuing my True Self (and any remixes/resamples) beats the everliving shit out of Burn My Dread and its incarnations.

vilmer_

YuriLowell said:

I stopped using AI party control at the first dungeon boss. Don't think I can go back now, some battles will be extremely difficult letting the AI do the work.

Crystalkoen said:
Any half/half icon means Partly. Partly sunny/cloudy, only raining half the day, etc. You'll know when the Midnight Channel is available based on whether the icon's Rain during the Evening time. And yeah, a few days straight of rain means fog's coming afterward.

And I have to say, Reach Out to the Truth is far better than Mass Destruction for battle music. Hell, I like the entire soundtrack more than I did P3. Persuing my True Self (and any remixes/resamples) beats the everliving shit out of Burn My Dread and its incarnations.
Fuck yes!

FUCK yes! Burn my Dread was pretty horrible =/ P4's music FTW :D

firex

So arcana cards seem entirely fucking worthless due to the penalties being way more severe than the bonuses. Thanks for ruining shuffle time, atlus. also the main character blows, no matter what I fuse with him. I guess I just need to level more, but it sucks. at least I'll enjoy fucking over this game on a replay with overpowered personas and way higher levels.

Tamanon

Banned
firex said:
So arcana cards seem entirely fucking worthless due to the penalties being way more severe than the bonuses. Thanks for ruining shuffle time, atlus. also the main character blows, no matter what I fuse with him. I guess I just need to level more, but it sucks. at least I'll enjoy fucking over this game on a replay with overpowered personas and way higher levels.

The only penalty that is more severe than the bonus seems to be Emperor and Moon ones, IMO. That's why they give you the option of grabbing your persona card and just ignoring arcana.

Metroidvania

Tamanon said:
The only penalty that is more severe than the bonus seems to be Emperor and Moon ones, IMO. That's why they give you the option of grabbing your persona card and just ignoring arcana.

I just ignored arcana pretty much the whole time, but if you think about it, they're essentially the other exp, money, sp regen, etc.... cards from P3, only this time, there's a risk involved.

firex

well, wait, I got a reversed Death once and that was almost good. maybe I just need to approach the game differently, but the worst ever was a reversed... I forget what, Judgment maybe, where I went from fresh into a dungeon at full SP to half SP after one battle. at this point I'm just trying to figure out what all the arcana cards do so I know what to avoid, and so far I'll avoid all of them but Hermit, since Hermit is useless either way.

birdchili

i need to stop coming in here. it's killer trying to avoid all of the posts talking about stuff i don't want to know about.

shuffle time sucks, and it sucked in p3 as well. there's never any really difficult decisions to make, and the minigame itself isn't particularly satisfying.

and it's probably forum-prestige-limiting to say this here, but there's *plenty* of bad music in both games. i *am* rather pleased to see the p3 battle music replaced, in spite of the joy i got singing it around the house in order to drive the lady nuts.

best new thing so far is the square button:) most of the other changes are good, but not earthshatteringly-so.

Tamanon

Banned
firex said:
well, wait, I got a reversed Death once and that was almost good. maybe I just need to approach the game differently, but the worst ever was a reversed... I forget what, Judgment maybe, where I went from fresh into a dungeon at full SP to half SP after one battle. at this point I'm just trying to figure out what all the arcana cards do so I know what to avoid, and so far I'll avoid all of them but Hermit, since Hermit is useless either way.

Judgement is AWESOME if you're already partway through the dungeon. Then the halving isn't that bad since you were close to leaving anyways, but filling up everyone's SP is grand. It's just about when you can afford to risk them.

Definitely don't avoid Heirophant, if it's positive then you ignore any reversed ones, if it's negative, then you just ignore arcana the entire time until it wears off.

I feel like an idiot, reflected a maragion back on myself and died. Mother fucker this fifth dungeon is a bitch. I miss being able to find out what enemies' weaknesses are. I'm generally scared shitless to use any of the intsta death abilities, not only because they are expensive, but because a reflect can kill me. Or waste a homunculus.

On another note any tips for geting chest keys? I used to have tons early on, but now they never appear in chests any more.

Also, do the dungeons keep getting bigger and bigger or is it just me?

Tamanon

Banned
The dungeons actually seemed to get smaller to me, heh. Chest keys you can get from the golden monsters also. They drop a hefty amount of Yen and a key each time. Otherwise, check the fish trader and the vending machines on rainy days.

It seems to take me longer to go up and down each floor. Want to beath this one so I can finish my pimp chain of the girls. Already banged Yukiko, and the drama girl, Rise is just about there, Chie's at level 7, and I'm about halfway through Ai.

Still concerned that I'm gonna run out of time though. Probably because in P3 I missed maxing out Mitsuru by ONE FRIGGEN DAY.

Tamanon said:
The dungeons actually seemed to get smaller to me, heh. Chest keys you can get from the golden monsters also. They drop a hefty amount of Yen and a key each time. Otherwise, check the fish trader and the vending machines on rainy days.
You are crazy :p They definitely get bigger, room-wise. Of course, I always explore each one to completion before moving on, so maybe that's why it feels so long...

I have to wait until Christmas for this, and my iPhone. I'll see you guys then. Until then, I'll just be unfairly teased by the bumpage of this thread.

Great things await! :D

Man, the top floors of Dungeon 2 seem to be getting pretty brutal for me. I've got a few days left to try and finish it, but I was hoping that I could get the rest done in one go and work on Social Links.

FSLink

Banned
at this point I'm just trying to figure out what all the arcana cards do so I know what to avoid, and so far I'll avoid all of them but Hermit, since Hermit is useless either way.
Really? I wouldn't say Hermit is useless...maybe because I rely a lot on the map. Plus, getting it face up can make it easy to rush to the last level, save, and then grind faster with the stronger enemies.

Blackjack

Hahaha, oh man, I just got fuckowned.

December boss (but really just skills, no plot or anything):
He used that skill that made it so no attacks could reach him, then he used Mind Charge and Tarukaja. Then he used his giant eye beam attack. Then he did 1100 damage to everyone on my team. And then I went :mad: and decided to try again later.

Ahh! Just made it to the beginning of September. I can't WAIT for this trip to
Port Island
! I love little things like this. :)

Although, I feel like I've REALLY slacked off in the S-Link department. I've only got one maxed, which is Chie, and I've got a lot (like 8) between 7-9, but I've never even picked up the Kanji S-Link. o_O Is there gonna be any way for me to recover? Haha, August went by so quickly!

drtomoe123 said:
Ahh! Just made it to the beginning of September. I can't WAIT for this trip to
Port Island
! I love little things like this. :)

Although, I feel like I've REALLY slacked off in the S-Link department. I've only got one maxed, which is Chie, and I've got a lot (like 8) between 7-9, but I've never even picked up the Kanji S-Link. o_O Is there gonna be any way for me to recover? Haha, August went by so quickly!

There's always next cycle. :F

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I played that one bit like 4 times. I think I lost 3 hours of progress. But I am finally moving again. Up to 5F and then put it down and saved :D

Y2Kev said:
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK ghastly wail is GAHSEASE

I just finished a few floors of the second dungeon where those assholes nailed my main character with it TWICE, both times equipped with a dark resistant persona but he just happened to be affected by fear and it killed him instantly. In the exact same spot. I finally made it alllllll the way up to floor 7 and used a Goho-M... I don't know if I've ever been more happy to save a game.

kiryogi

Banned
Woo finally! Got in my design works. Complete!

p4collection.png

I think all I'm missing is the JP OST. But I'll live. Oh, forgot to toss in the DJ guide too but I got it XD

2DMention

Banned
Having some trouble with the castle boss. Strat guide says fusion Slime, Okoback & angel to get resist physical, fire + Red Wall. But when I try, the resulting persona is lvl 24 and has maybe one of those skills. That multi-hit fire attack DESTROYS my party.

Any tips? I probably need to grind - I'm around lvl 14. Angel is 7, Slime is 7, as is okoback.

2DMention said:
Having some trouble with the castle boss. Strat guide says fusion Slime, Okoback & angel to get resist physical, fire + Red Wall. But when I try, the resulting persona is lvl 24 and has maybe one of those skills. That multi-hit fire attack DESTROYS my party.

Any tips? I probably need to grind - I'm around lvl 14. Angel is 7, Slime is 7, as is okoback.

get some higher level persona, your stats are low and they are reflected by the persona. what tactics are you using for the battle? set your teammates to direct command. you should focus on buffing and debuffing asap and then having Chie deliver constant phys damage to Shadow Yuki until she goes down. Down the Prince when you think he's going to heal Yuki.

Man, I finally beat the 2nd dungeon. Freaking intense final boss fight. This game sure can make some crazy bosses.

Kanji's cutscene afterwards is great, too. So awesome.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Man, I finally beat the 2nd dungeon. Freaking intense final boss fight. This game sure can make some crazy bosses.

Kanji's cutscene afterwards is great, too. So awesome.
Just wait until the 3rd boss. Took me over 40 minutes to beat it, with no SP recovery items left and only
Yukiko (is this even spoiler-worthy?)
with any SP at the end. Not saying you'll need to grind for the 3rd boss, but it might be a good idea to not wait until the last day before taking it on, if you need to retreat for one day.

Is it just me, or are Arcana Chance cards upright 90% of the time? Has anyone noticed this? If so, there's not really any point to decline an Arcana Chance unless you have a better card activated or if it's a Death card.

Man, I just beat the 4th dungeon (5th boss). It was brutal! By far the hardest fight in the game so far.

Mitsuo the Hero reformed like 4 times (as I was unable to deal enough damage the baby enough to prevent that). The 160+ damage regular attack and 200+ Gigadyne and especially the Exhaustion attack kept me on my toes throughout the entire battle. I found that the shell was much more difficult then the actual baby where all I had to fear was the Ghastly Wail combo.

Man this game is awesome. I hope the bosses and dungeons keeps on getting better and better. Though I must admit, summer time is relatively boring, I hope the plot picks up its pace.

AniHawk

And now I have Persona 4. I wasn't planning on buying it, but now I have it. I hope you're happy you smarmy little bastards.

Movement

AniHawk said:
And now I have Persona 4. I wasn't planning on buying it, but now I have it. I hope you're happy you smarmy little bastards.

(neutral) AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(Today, 09:48 PM)

Metroidvania

Chowfahn said:
Is it just me, or are Arcana Chance cards upright 90% of the time? Has anyone noticed this? If so, there's not really any point to decline an Arcana Chance unless you have a better card activated or if it's a Death card.

Wait until you get a moon, emperor, and judgement negative, all in a row, before you say such things.

Incidentally, I know positive death restores your sp, takes you down to 1 hp, and kicks you out of the dungeon....does reverse actually kill you?

Holy shit. 6/06:
I didn't see the whole 'victims were all on TV thing' coming, at all. And now that they discovered it, it all seems so obvious. *slaps head*

This game keeps giving me some great twists in what is going on.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
JESUS, the event at 9/9 had me rolling.

So... if I'm Yukiko's boyfriend now, I can't get intimate with Rise? What happens if you want to get it on with a girl while being another girl's boyfriend?

I want to be clear on the consequences, just in case!

kiryogi

Banned
Error said:
JESUS, the event at 9/9 had me rolling.

So... if I'm Yukiko's boyfriend now, I can't get intimate with Rise? What happens if you want to get it on with a girl while being another girl's boyfriend?

I want to be clear on the consequences, just in case!

nothing really. I was able to court all of the girls. There's some interaction moments, but nothing like P3's broken arcana.

Ok holy crap/shit:
I'm not far, trying to
rescue Yukiko
because I decided to restart and change up my procedure. I'm reading in the DJ guide to defeat the first boss I should TRIANGLE fuse a lvl. 7 Ukobach and lvl. 7 Slime with an Angel to create an Archangel which inherits resist fire, physical, red wall...

When I go into the triangle fusion menu I absolutely cannot get this combination to even create an Archangel? Must be I don't quite understand this fusion setup...

Anyone offer some advice? Thanks

Top Bottom