• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

epmode

News Bot said:
I wish the game told you when the S. Links were to show up at the points where you can finally interact with them. It only has the days for the Strength and Sun arcanas. :mad:
That's what the strategy guide's for.

You can open up a few S-Links from the jobs whcih are entirely predictable. I don't think the other S-Links follow any set schedule (except for Hermit which is pretty much always available).

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah it's actually more realist in this game, the S. Links only follow a strict schedule if they have a reason to, otherwise they just pop up now and again.

Tamanon said:
To Yosuke:p

And to the next post, the crafting items aren't used in quests, when you get the quests, the mobs drop the quest items.

Strange.
I have a friend who is trying to go back and get the wrench that gives him 40 extra SP, but I dont know if she can go back until she finished up Yukiko's castle.

Tamanon

Banned
YuriLowell said:
Strange.
I have a friend who is trying to go back and get the wrench that gives him 40 extra SP, but I dont know if she can go back until she finished up Yukiko's castle.

Nope, once Yukiko's castle opens up a second time you can go back to Yosuke's place. I would've killed for that 40 SP in Yukiko's castle though.:lol

epmode

Blackjack said:
No, they follow a schedule. The only irregular ones are Justice and Hierophant.
I'm checking the monthly listings now. Some links are more predictible than others but most vary from week to week. Moon and Hanged Man in particular.

Even the main party members are somewhat unpredictable (and that's without taking into account the irregularities brought on by the monthly mysteries).

Tamanon said:
Nope, once Yukiko's castle opens up a second time you can go back to Yosuke's place. I would've killed for that 40 SP in Yukiko's castle though.:lol

For sure. Once you get Yukiko and her weapon that adds to her SP the game becomes a lot more manageable. Although, Yosuke still ended up running out of SP before anyone else in the second dungeon from spamming Magaru and once you reach that point you suddenly have a lot more important things to worry about in dungeons then SP conservation.

Blackjack

epmode said:
I'm checking the monthly listings now. Some links are more predictible than others but most vary from week to week. Moon and Hanged Man in particular.

Even the main party members are somewhat unpredictable (and that's without taking into account the irregularities brought on by the monthly mysteries).
Hm. I never saw anyone break schedule that I can remember (barring, like you said, the mystery times when party members weren't around and then exams week). Pretty much no one shows up when it rains (you can basically only do Sun Empress and Hermit as daytime links during the rain), so that could be it

Blackjack

Yaweee said:
Elemental Amps, Boosts, and Vows, or similar items: Do any of them stack, or is the highest percent that counts only?
I think it works like this:

Boost and Amp - Stack
Boost and Vow - Stack
Amp and Vow - Stack
Boost and Amp and Vow - DO NOT stack

Crystalkoen

This game'll be the end of me... was late to work this morning because I was up until 3 last night playing, and slept through my 6:50 AM alarm.

Finished up the second dungeon boss, and I must say...
Seriously? Stat boosts, Power Charge, and Swift Strike? Whatever developer was behind that boss is a seriously sadistic S.O.B.
Can't really argue that much, though. I'm drinking up the difficulty and thoroughly enjoying it, even if it does take 2-3 attempts to take out some of these bosses. Finished D2 boss at level 22, too. That probably didn't help the fight at all.

Just got the Dilligence needed to do the Hospital Janitor job, and all I have to say about that is
Helloooooo Nurse!

Love both of the Dojima storylines, too. Only 3-4 ranks into each, but it really makes for endearing characters.

Also thrilled to see Tanaka still bringing his amazing commodities over the airwaves. Anyone know of any other non-spoiler easter eggs/nods to prior games in this one? All I have so far is a Phoenix Ranger Featherman R reference and Tanaka's Amazing Commodities on Sundays.

DiddyBop

my order from amazon.ca finally arrived today in pristine condition,it came boxed with plastic bags of air and the game and artbook were in a bubble wrap envelop inside the box under the plastic bags with air in them,bravo amazon/atlus.

anyways,gonna sink my teeth into this later,should i start on beginner or do normal? how hard is normal? i have p3 and fes but i never finished either due to the repetiveness wearing me down,but the changes in this game has made me wanna play again since i do love the concept. so im not really a beginner but i dont wanna get frustrated while playing this game,but on the same hand i dont want to be a cakewalk,which difficulty do you ppl use?

Tamanon

Banned
Crystalkoen said:
This game'll be the end of me... was late to work this morning because I was up until 3 last night playing, and slept through my 6:50 AM alarm.

Finished up the second dungeon boss, and I must say...
Seriously? Stat boosts, Power Charge, and Swift Strike? Whatever developer was behind that boss is a seriously sadistic S.O.B.
Can't really argue that much, though. I'm drinking up the difficulty and thoroughly enjoying it, even if it does take 2-3 attempts to take out some of these bosses. Finished D2 boss at level 22, too. That probably didn't help the fight at all.

Just got the Dilligence needed to do the Hospital Janitor job, and all I have to say about that is
Helloooooo Nurse!

Love both of the Dojima storylines, too. Only 3-4 ranks into each, but it really makes for endearing characters.

Also thrilled to see Tanaka still bringing his amazing commodities over the airwaves. Anyone know of any other non-spoiler easter eggs/nods to prior games in this one? All I have so far is a Phoenix Ranger Featherman R reference and Tanaka's Amazing Commodities on Sundays.

I guess it's not a spoiler, but there's some music from P3 at a certain point, and a pink alligator in a storybook.

Yaweee

Blackjack said:
I think it works like this:

Boost and Amp - Stack
Boost and Vow - Stack
Amp and Vow - Stack
Boost and Amp and Vow - DO NOT stack

Hmm... so the highest 2 out of 3 percentage wise?

---

Another question: What controls the fox's moods? I've maxed it out, but sometimes he grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs, and sometimes he's happy, and I think that's related to how much he charges.

Beardz

Well,

I played Persona 1 and I really like it, but missed Persona 2 and 3; I need to play persona 3 to understand persona 4?

Offtopic:

I missed Nocturne too, what do you think about that game?

Was anyone able to come in at the top of their class on the first mid-terms? I got every question right and my knowledge was leveled up to rank 3 and I still just made it in the top ten. Is it even possible the first time through the game or do I have to wait for a replay?

aku08

this game is awesome, i just finished the first dungeon and what started as a frustration but ended up as my favorite aspect of the game is that at any given fight - my party can be wiped out. i dont know how many times i feel like im cruising and my health is good, my sp is still decent then BAM! - a couple of miscues, a couple of unluckiness - my whole party is wiped out. every fight keeps me on my toes. i like it.

Volcynika

aku08 said:
this game is awesome, i just finished the first dungeon and what started as a frustration but ended up as my favorite aspect of the game is that at any given fight - my party can be wiped out. i dont know how many times i feel like im cruising and my health is good, my sp is still decent then BAM! - a couple of miscues, a couple of unluckiness - my whole party is wiped out. every fight keeps me on my toes. i like it.

I'll say it again, that's why I <3 SMT.

joelseph

Beardz said:
I played Persona 1 and I really like it, but missed Persona 2 and 3; I need to play persona 3 to understand persona 4?

Nope. You are good to go. Get your relaxing substance of choice and enjoy!

Crystalkoen

DiddyBop said:
my order from amazon.ca finally arrived today in pristine condition,it came boxed with plastic bags of air and the game and artbook were in a bubble wrap envelop inside the box under the plastic bags with air in them,bravo amazon/atlus.

anyways,gonna sink my teeth into this later,should i start on beginner or do normal? how hard is normal? i have p3 and fes but i never finished either due to the repetiveness wearing me down,but the changes in this game has made me wanna play again since i do love the concept. so im not really a beginner but i dont wanna get frustrated while playing this game,but on the same hand i dont want to be a cakewalk,which difficulty do you ppl use?

I'm playing through on Normal, and to my thinking as a SMT veteran it's a fair challenge, without being overly difficult. I guess one of the main things with difficulty would revolve around how much time you want to spend listening to Opera music staring at Igor's face while trying to get specific skill sets on any given Persona to make things a lot easier.

Tamanon said:
...and a pink alligator in a storybook.
Nice to see his book got published, then. That ended up being one of my favorite S Links in P3.
Before the aforementioned nods, I had been wondering whether or not the game took place in the same world/continuity as P3.

Beardz: All of the MegaTen titles are pretty much stand-alone, with the exception of Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. If you've played prior games, you'll recognize characters/references present in Persona 4 (Even Persona 3 had a few), but if you've not, you won't miss anything important to the story line.

at any given fight - my party can be wiped out.
Yeah, I had one of those last night. Fight that got a 5-pack of reinforcements when I was already getting low on SP. I barely survived, and then spent the next 10 minutes frantically trying to avoid fights to get to the save point I KNEW was coming.

birdchili

fights that aren't dangerous need to be entirely removed from turn-based rpgs.

there's a great inter-fight dynamic going on so far in p4 too. you need to conserve sp in every fight so you can stay in the dungeon longer, so you rarely want to go "all out" if you can do something less "costly" that gets the job done (making things bufu useful even once bufula is available, for example).

it's even more important to make each trip to the tv count in p4 (vs p3) because it cuts into your social life much more than it did in p3 (where it mostly just hurt your sleep).

jasonng

aku08 said:
this game is awesome, i just finished the first dungeon and what started as a frustration but ended up as my favorite aspect of the game is that at any given fight - my party can be wiped out.

Funny, this is exactly the reason why I'm completely frustrated with this game. I enjoy the feeling of making progress. I don't care about getting wiped as long as I feel like it's my fault for losing. But when you've taken every precaution to avoid a game over, you can still get tossed and lose everything you did in the last 20 minutes or so.

For example, I saved my game right before the boss battle. My first attempt fighting the boss is always a test run to see what works and what doesn't. So from that, I figured out that I need to level up a bit. I leave and come back another in-game day so my characters have full hp/sp. To make sure shit doesn't hit the fan, I would only grind as far as one floor below the save point. I get a few levels along with some dungeon items (to me it's always worth the hassle to look for items, especially if they can replenish your sp) and as I'm returning to the save point, I get wiped. Not because I was low on HP and SP but because I'm fighting enemies that would go three times in a row because they keep exploiting my teammates' weaknesses.

I've beaten P3 so I should be used to this but I don't get that feeling of being wiped at any moment towards of the end of P3, where I'm already heavily invested into the game. As for P4, this is still just the beginning so it's really making me care less about this game.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
birdchili said:
fights that aren't dangerous need to be entirely removed from turn-based rpgs.

there's a great inter-fight dynamic going on so far in p4 too. you need to conserve sp in every fight so you can stay in the dungeon longer, so you rarely want to go "all out" if you can do something less "costly" that gets the job done (making things bufu useful even once bufula is available, for example).

it's even more important to make each trip to the tv count in p4 (vs p3) because it cuts into your social life much more than it did in p3 (where it mostly just hurt your sleep).
This is one of the things that kept me engaged the most in P3 and will probably be the case again in P4: the fact that you have to pay attention in every fight. The weakness of the enemies and your own, what attacks and skills to use, lower magic still being important, keeping an eye on your sp, thinking if fighting that bigass random monster with lots of hp but little xp or running from it is the best choice... Too many RPGs keep you choosing only attack these days and I feel that's what makes them a borefest after the middle. I'm always glad this is not the case here.

birdchili

jasonng said:
I'm fighting enemies that would go three times in a row because they keep exploiting my teammates' weaknesses.
the only time this is truly dangerous is when you're exploring a new area (ie: unknown monsters), or if you get surprise attacked (which is pretty-much your fault (though it certainly happens to me)). for a known set of creatures, you now have "guard" which eliminates elemental weaknesses of a character. if you're not planning on finishing the fight in the first round, you might want to ensure that vulnerable characters aren't giving the shadows extra turns.

i've definitely been wiped out by random encounters (once, so far, i think)... you need to guess at strengths/weaknesses based on how an enemy looks, and try and find patterns based on the arcana it belongs to. the combat would be pretty dull without the difficulty, frankly.

Alts

Does using the bathroom at school do anything this time around. I tried it out, and I pondered about the contents of my fridge, and when I checked it at home, there was ramen in there, but I couldn't eat it. Coincidence, or are they connected?

Alts said:
Does using the bathroom at school do anything this time around. I tried it out, and I pondered about the contents of my fridge, and when I checked it at home, there was ramen in there, but I couldn't eat it. Coincidence, or are they connected?
I think it's just a way to get clues about S. Links and such.

Ourobolus

Banned
There are plenty of reasons why I love SMT games, but one of the most prominent reasons is also the most frustrating.

Here it is: my latest SMT moment.

So, I had finally made it to
Shadow Kanji
. I realized that I was pretty underlevelled, as I tend to be (I think someone said that Doublejump recommends 27, I was 21). So, I lost a few times to see how he would act during the fight.
HOLY HELL AT THE RANDOMNESS OF HIS ATTACKS.
. Anyway, I go level up once, get some SP items, heal at the fox, and head back on up. I manage to beat
Nice Guy
, and then
Tough Guy
was a piece of cake. The entire time, the boss luckily seemed to rely on his single-member attacks. I get him down to about 200 HP, and then BAM! Swift Strike, double hit, unguarded, on the MC. Down he goes. It missed everyone else.

Sigh...I hate and love shit like this, because I know it'll be freaking sweet when I actually beat him.

Volcynika

Ourobolus said:
There are plenty of reasons why I love SMT games, but one of the most prominent reasons is also the most frustrating.

Here it is: my latest SMT moment.

So, I had finally made it to
Shadow Kanji
. I realized that I was pretty underlevelled, as I tend to be (I think someone said that Doublejump recommends 27, I was 21). So, I lost a few times to see how he would act during the fight.
HOLY HELL AT THE RANDOMNESS OF HIS ATTACKS.
. Anyway, I go level up once, get some SP items, heal at the fox, and head back on up. I manage to beat
Nice Guy
, and then
Tough Guy
was a piece of cake. The entire time, the boss luckily seemed to rely on his single-member attacks. I get him down to about 200 HP, and then BAM! Swift Strike, double hit, unguarded, on the MC. Down he goes. It missed everyone else.

Sigh...I hate and love shit like this, because I know it'll be freaking sweet when I actually beat him.

That fight had its moments, especially when
he uses skills to enrage your party, then puts up a physical reflect shield.
So annoying.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hate guides recommending levels because I am ALWAYS behind. I've explored every inch of every dungeon (and some floors even twice) and there is nooo way I'd hit 27 before the second boss unless I ground 4-5 levels.

Volcynika

Y2Kev said:
I hate guides recommending levels because I am ALWAYS behind. I've explored every inch of every dungeon (and some floors even twice) and there is nooo way I'd hit 27 before the second boss unless I ground 4-5 levels.

27? Yeesh, I beat him at like 24.

Ourobolus

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Yeah, the level recommendations never mattered to me, especially in SMT games, where weaknesses/strengths play such a huge role in strategy.

Volcynika

Ourobolus said:
Yeah, the level recommendations never mattered to me, especially in SMT games, where weaknesses/strengths play such a huge role in strategy.

It only matters to me slightly, since you need some higher HP/SP to bear some of the bigger attacks, and I thought the second boss was more of an endurance fight, so you gotta have enough health and stuff to last a while.

Y2Kev said:

I agree, level 27 is a tad excessive. I beat him with everyone around level 22-23 on expert. The trick is to guard whenever he uses power charge, and always nullify the bonus of heat riser with dekaja. Jiraiya has it I believe.

Tetsuo9

Y2Kev said:
Don't believe those lies, i'm nearly at the end of the game and I almost haven't grinded. The only thing I did is explore each floor of the dungeon completely and fight the boss when I confidently killed everything in the last floor of the dungeon. If that failed, then it means fusion time.

I just want to say that I love the game. I don't want the game to finish :(.

Ourobolus

Banned
frostythecat said:
I agree, level 27 is a tad excessive. I beat him with everyone around level 22-23 on expert. The trick is to guard whenever he uses power charge, and always nullify the bonus of heat riser with dekaja. Jiraiya has it I believe.

Yeah, my problem was that it was a choice between guarding that turn, or healing my party who was poisoned and had 50% health. :lol I chose the latter.

birdchili

fusion and strategy over leveling for the first dungeon boss, anyway...

first attempt was a total party kill, teleport down and fuse, killed again...

leave the dungeon and come back with full hp/sp.

two more tries with the same lineup and slightly varied strategies and i got it. very satisfying.

of course the optional boss is just stupid. it seems to be there just so people who love grinding have something to aspire to.

aku08

jasonng said:
To make sure shit doesn't hit the fan, I would only grind as far as one floor below the save point. I get a few levels along with some dungeon items (to me it's always worth the hassle to look for items, especially if they can replenish your sp) and as I'm returning to the save point, I get wiped. Not because I was low on HP and SP but because I'm fighting enemies that would go three times in a row because they keep exploiting my teammates' weaknesses.

but it goes both ways tho. i dont know how many times ive wiped out a whole group on one turn by spamming a spell that their weak against until all of them are on their backs, then the whole group pounces on them.

careksims

Yes I'm late, but Amazon finally delivered my game/art book and awesome on the ar tbook. Bigger than the P3 one :D Very happy! This plus the Social Link pack makes it a great way to end this year. :D

Yaweee

Well, that 'feature' pisses the hell out of me.

(Endgame stuff)
I beat the boss too soon, so I get to miss out on the rest of the S. Link days. Hooray! I don't know if I want to go back and do them or not; beating the final final dungeon might be annoying without the Rank 10 bonuses. Then, before I entered the dungeon, I got blocked from doing S. Links with any of my teammates.

At least wasted phases weren't as big an issue as they were in P3. I read a book unnecessarily one night, and that was the only time I 'skipped' a phase towards no useful end.

Ourobolus

Banned
Thank god. Finally beat
Shadow Kanji
at Lv 22.
Man, I got really lucky towards the end. He Swift Striked my party (Yukiko was already dead), missed both Yosuke and Chie, and doubled up on my guarding MC for about 120. Then he wasted a turn enraging Chie, so I was free to use Garula and Sonic Punch. Then he used Tetrakarn, which let me finish him off with one more Garula.

Whew. Definitely satisfying.

epmode

OK, I know that most of the elemental boost skills stack, but how about Counter? Like do Counter (10% chance) and Couterstrike (15%) stack at all? Or does Counterstrike just totally supercede Counter?

edit: Gamefaqs to the rescue:

9b. Stackable effects [009b0]

Despite what the DJ guide says, there are certain effects provided by passive
skills or accessories that are stackable according to the following rules, with
(+) denoting a stackable combination and (-) a non-stackable one:

1. A passive skill and an accessory providing the same effect NEVER stack.
Examples:
(-) Fire Boost and Fire Bracers
(-) Fire Amp and Agni Bracers
(-) Apt Pupil and Omega Drive (quadruples critical hit chance? I wish)

2. Barring Rule 1, elemental (Fire/Ice/Elec/Wind) effects DO stack.
Examples:
(+) Fire Boost and Fire Amp
(+) Fire Boost and Agni Bracers
(+) Fire Amp and Fire Bracers

3. Again barring Rule 1, HP and SP regenerative effects DO stack and take
effect in succession.
Examples:
(+) Regenerate 1, Regenerate 2, Regenerate 3
(+) Regenerate 1, Regenerate 2, Space Badge
(+) Invigorate 1, Invigorate 2, Invigorate 3
(+) Mage's Mark, Invigorate 2, Invigorate 3
(+) Space Badge, Spring of Life (Junpei)

4. All other multi-tiered effects do NOT stack. The highest-tiered effect takes
precedence.
Examples:
(-) Growth 1, Growth 2, Growth 3 (only Growth 3 takes effect)
(-) Counter, Counterstrike, High Counter (only High Counter takes effect)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I don't think Atlus fully considered the implications of the Fusion Forecast when they implemented it. It's not even July and I've managed to get Victory Cry (twice!), several extremely powerful physical attacks, and a selection of Repel [Element] skills.

All that for a net outlay of about 60 minutes and 50,000 yen.

So what do I do to figure out how to open the 3rd dungeon. I talked to the guy at the riverbank, but he says swing by if you learn anything new after I talked to him.

Top Bottom