• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Volcynika

Y2Kev said:
tips on second dungeon main boss plz :)

Kill Nice Guy FIRST. He's gonna work on buffing/healing Shadow Kanji. Have someone with Dekaja (like Yosuke) to remove the stat boosts Shadow Kanji gets, and use Dekunda and Sekunda if you have it. Then go after Tough Guy. Shadow Kanji will then be fairly easy, but he does have some underhanded tactics (an all-out electric attack, a method of enraging party members then putting up a physical reflect shield). This is an endurance fight, so you gotta be able to take the hits in stride and keep your HP up.

Y2Kev said:
tips on second dungeon main boss plz :)

The way I did it was concentrating on killing Nice Guy first. Rakunda him and then have everyone take him out. Just ignore Tough Guy, and go after Shadow Kanji after that. Use debuffs, and whenever he charges up, have the Main Character to guard to protect a possible instant death (which is possible).

That worked for me.

Blackjack

daegan said:
The fox S.Link breaks the game a bit - I'm about to rescue
Rise
on the first possible night :eek:
Wait until you get it up to rank 10 and you can restore everyone from practically zero to full for only 14000. :D

So, I decided to save my game and overwrite my previous one like I always do and THIS time for some reason my game save failed and there was no more game save there. I'm playing on a PS3 FYI. I try to save my game again to find out that I'm out of space on my virtual memory card, and of course it's the only one I have created on my console. I can't save my game now and I am SOFA KING PISSED right now. :(

zoku88

KuwabaraTheMan said:
The way I did it was concentrating on killing Nice Guy first. Rakunda him and then have everyone take him out. Just ignore Tough Guy, and go after Shadow Kanji after that. Use debuffs, and whenever he charges up, have the Main Character to guard to protect a possible instant death (which is possible).

That worked for me.
I did something similar

But I took out the Shadow Kanji last.

daegan

polyh3dron said:
So, I decided to save my game and overwrite my previous one like I always do and THIS time for some reason my game save failed and there was no more game save there. I'm playing on a PS3 FYI. I try to save my game again to find out that I'm out of space on my virtual memory card, and of course it's the only one I have created on my console. I can't save my game now and I am SOFA KING PISSED right now. :(

sometimes on my 80gb it'll be like "there's no mem card" or the file will just be missing or something. big saves i copy to a second "card", like at the end of a session.

also not being able to see where i am in the bottom left is a little annoying.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
For some reason the dungeon crawling in this is not as engaging as in P3, the loot in this game fucking sucks. I'm getting Peach fucking Seeds in the 5th dungeon, that doesn't heal for shit anymore. I never get weapons, and most of the accessories I get are lame. Also needing keys to unlock chest SUCKS. I'm really missing the split up thing from P3, too. Also you can't get money from chests anymore. :(

For all the talk about traps, there are barely any. Unless that changes when playing on hard, it's kind of disappointing.

I was one that didn't mind the dungeon crawling in P3, but here it kind of overstays its welcome. Thankfully, most of the dungeons are short and the music kicks some serious ass. The designs are also unique, at least.

keanerie

shadow kanji (on expert)
is killing me...everyone's level 21

is this doable or am i going to have to load up an old save or grind a bit

daegan

Error said:
For some reason the dungeon crawling in this is not as engaging as in P3, the loot in this game fucking sucks. I'm getting Peach fucking Seeds in the 5th dungeon, that doesn't heal for shit anymore. I never get weapons, and most of the accessories I get are lame. Also needing keys to unlock chest SUCKS. I'm really missing the split up thing from P3, too. Also you can't get money from chests anymore. :(

For all the talk about traps, there are barely any. Unless that changes when playing on hard, it's kind of disappointing.

I was one that didn't mind the dungeon crawling in P3, but here it kind of overstays its welcome. Thankfully, most of the dungeons are short and the music kicks some serious ass. The designs are also unique, at least.

I miss the splits too. Money chests are an Arcana Chance bonus.

keanerie said:
shadow kanji (on expert)
is killing me...everyone's level 21

is this doable or am i going to have to load up an old save or grind a bit

I was Level 25 on normal when I finally beat that one. So yeah, I would recommend leveling up a bit more. Probably beatable at a lower level depending on your items/strategy, but 21 seems underleveled, either way.

jsrv

Question: is there any way to reset Personas registered in your compendium to default level/skills? New game+ maybe?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
jsrv said:
Question: is there any way to reset Personas registered in your compendium to default level/skills? New game+ maybe?

Nope, new game+ keeps your compendium as is.

The only way to "reset" that I know of is to fuse/dismiss a persona, and remake it later, and register the new, lower level one once you acquire it from dungeon-crawling/fusing.

Shouta

Most of the money you earn in the game is really from killing enemies and selling the junk they drop. I did that and started buying extra items that I used only in emergencies. I did want some more equipment from time to time but I did ok with money on Expert.

Alts

5/17 Midnight channel
That was unmistakably Kanji...
not that there's anything wrong with that

I had a lot of difficulty with the boss in the castle, particularly because I was so low on an SP regenerating items. Is it just uncharacteristically hard for its placement in the game or should I expect similar stuff for the next dungeon?

Man, fuck this game, I just spent about 30 mins trying to guess the right choices for the normal ending path, it wouldn't be so bad if I couldjust save before them and not on the the day before.

Acid08

Banned
Hey JRPGS. QUIT IT WITH THE FUCKING SAVE POINTS. Give me a motherfucking quicksave so I can save whenever the fuck I want.

Darkman M

Prime crotch said:
Man, fuck this game, I just spent about 30 mins trying to guess the right choices for the normal ending path, it wouldn't be so bad if I couldjust save before them and not on the the day before.

Theres more to that if you want the True Ending :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
just got through with Rice's dungeon ..

:eek:

this game is so freaking awesome, the boss's animations were . well .. awesome ?

also, its pretty creepy that im playing this game in the middle of a rainy season where im at...

Ledsen

Darkman M said:
Theres more to that if you want the True Ending :lol

Is there a guide for that? I don't wantto go through the game only to find out I missed doing something that's required for the true ending.

So I am trying to make Yukiko part of my harem, but I dunno if its working. Is it just one question I need to answer correctly during a scene at SLink Level 8?

Chorazin

Acid08 said:
Hey JRPGS. QUIT IT WITH THE FUCKING SAVE POINTS. Give me a motherfucking quicksave so I can save whenever the fuck I want.

WTF? There is a save point in almost every area of the game. Use a Goho-M if you gotta quit, you get to come right back to the same level you left.

Totakeke

Well, I finished the game today, true ending and all. No spoilers but perhaps you don't want to read this if you want the rest of the game to remain a mystery. A question first, is there much of a point to a 2nd play through or is there anything that would require lvl80+ personas other than the hidden boss?

Overall it didn't grab me as much as Persona 3 did, maybe it was because I played it on normal and finished dungeons very quickly which kinda lost all the tension to be had in the story. The story also felt weaker compared to P3, it didn't affect people other than your group and your family, so the consequences of failing didn't seem as bad. This was also emphasized by the weak bad endings, as they were mostly a subset of the better endings unlike P3's bad ending which was really different. If you went through the worse endings first and then proceed to the true ending, the impact will be lessened because you already had seen most of the stuffs before, kinda disappointing.

The gameplay did improve quite a lot, especially the skill and persona changes. But still, the bosses and mini bosses on normal are too easy for me while the dungeon parts are still okay. I would have problems trudging through the later levels of the dungeons because of the shadows one shotting my party members, but have no problem beating the bosses at all. The only one I remember having trouble with was Kanji's shadow. Still, it was an addicting game and took a week of my life, definitely well worth it. Next game should use a different system though, I feel that this iteration was held back by trying too hard to not use the same plot devices while being stuck with the same structure as P3 did, ending up with a less engaging and coherent story, if that makes any sense.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I love the fact that Yosuke listens to music with his headphones while in the dungeons. I'd do the same.

2DMention

Banned
Finally managed to beat
Yukkio's
persona boss in the castle by spamming phys. attacks, using an attack buff for the party, and healing. I used lvl. 8 ukoback for fire resistance and was lvl. 15 for everybody else.

I should've started my game on beginner. :( I just want to enjoy the story. I'm 8 hours in, so it's too late to start over.

Crystalkoen

For whoever was asking, this is a MegaTen title. EXPECT difficult bosses, it's a hallmark of the series. And don't think leveling up will help too much. Most of the bosses are won with strategy, both in persona fusion and abilities, and what your team does in a given fight.

Kinda obvious, I feel, that they upped the difficulty of the game to account for you being able to control your teammates. I've not fought a boss yet where I didn't control at least one ally, possibly all three of them, but I won't argue. Makes the game fun.

As for save points, in most JRPGs, they're put in as a convenience, usually. "Here's a spot where you can save your game, since you've been at it for awhile and all." This game? They're not there SPECIFICALLY as a hinderance. Adds to the whole tension of making even the regular fights possibly lethal, especially if you're not using fusion to its fullest extent.

Advice for those cubes in the second dungeon that use
Last Resort: They will use Stand By if there's other enemies alive. As soon as they get a turn and are the last opponent standing, they'll blow up, regardless of HP remaining. The thing with Last Resort is that it hits EVERYONE. Friend AND Foe. So they won't use it if they have friends of their own.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The save point issue could be remedied by having a suspend save function, a.k.a. temp saving. You need to stop, you use the temporary save, when you come back and load that save it gets deleted. Would encourage me to play the game even when I have little time instead of only when I have lots of free hours ahead.

I'm actually getting kind of tired of wishing games to have this feature (along with skippable scenes) so don't pay much attention to this.

On an unrelated note, I'd love to search pictures and make gifs from videos for this game but I must remind myself that I shouldn't do this before I finish it. I mean, I needed to confirm if Teddie's name was Teddie or Teddy the other day and a simple google search threw a spoiler at me. :lol A similar thing happened when I needed an image of Ryoji while playing P3.

Volcynika

chandoog said:
just got through with ---- dungeon ..

:eek:

this game is so freaking awesome, the boss's animations were . well .. awesome ?

also, its pretty creepy that im playing this game in the middle of a rainy season where im at...

Probably should refer to dungeons still as the number, rather than who you're saving (and spell it right :p )

Crystalkoen

Fuu said:
The save point issue could be remedied by having a suspend save function, a.k.a. temp saving. You need to stop, you use the temporary save, when you come back and load that save it gets deleted. Would encourage me to play the game even when I have little time instead of only when I have lots of free hours ahead.

That can be covered a bit by keeping a persona with Traesto on it, or a bunch of the items that do the same, since you always have the option of returning to the last explored floor. That's become a required fusion spell for me since one of my early personas learned it. Same with Growth 1 (and subsequent growths later in the game... that persona tends to get put into EVERYTHING I can, summoned and resummoned until it's been whored into the ground).

On an unrelated note, I'd love to search pictures and make gifs from videos for this game
I've wanted to do something like this as well, perhaps get a "dancing" Chie gif, her combat animation, for avatar purposes. Alas, I lack the equipment to do such a thing, and want to avoid searching for images of similar in case spoilers occur.

Volcynika

Also, relating to Margaret, am I going to have to wait to be able to
create a Matador with Mahama
because right now I can't think of an easy way to do that.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
2DMention said:
Finally managed to beat
Yukkio's
persona boss in the castle by spamming phys. attacks, using an attack buff for the party, and healing. I used lvl. 8 ukoback for fire resistance and was lvl. 15 for everybody else.

I should've started my game on beginner. :( I just want to enjoy the story. I'm 8 hours in, so it's too late to start over.
It wasn't that much different for me at the same level on beginner. That's just the way of the game. After persona 3 i expected as much though so i'm not too annoyed. Plus on beginner if i get totally tired of beating a boss i can use one of my traestro gems and get the second wind i need to kill them.

Ok...
seriously is the detective prince a girl? I ask because my perception is being thrown off and many JRPGs have proven me wrong before. I checked my guide and saw serious relationship option so I'm guessing yes
?

Darkman M

Urban Scholar said:
Ok...
seriously is the detective prince a girl? I ask because my perception is being thrown off and many JRPGs have proven me wrong before. I checked my guide and saw serious relationship option so I'm guessing yes
?

Correct.

Yaweee

Volcynika said:
Also, relating to Margaret, am I going to have to wait to be able to
create a Matador with Mahama
because right now I can't think of an easy way to do that.

Her fusion requests are rarely straight forward, meaning you'll normally have to fuse the required skill onto an intermediate persona, then fuse that one into what she wants. Triples do wonders for that kind of mechanic, but are far from necessary.

Darkman M

Ledsen said:
Is there a guide for that? I don't wantto go through the game only to find out I missed doing something that's required for the true ending.

Yeah, im sure there is a faq or something on gamefaqs or something, you wont need to worry about this until very endgame though.

Durante

I'm on vacation now, and I just played Persona 4 for about 13 hours straight with 2 small breaks. It's been a while since I did something crazy like that for any game.

However, unlike when I first posted in this thread, I can now think of a few things that actually got worse IMHO compared to P3 (it's still an overwhelming improvement in most aspects). The biggest "downgrade" for me was the switch (for all the battle remarks) from Mamiko Noto's wunderful Fuuka voice acting to Kuma's screeching -- but
I just finished getting rid of that (I suspected/hoped it wouldn't last for the entire game)
Another thing that's a bit annoying is how dense/slow/ultimately stupid the whole group is portrayed when it comes to solving the mysteries -- but that is often the case with detective stories even in other media.

Other stuff:
- clearing each dungeon on the first day it's available makes for too large chunks of crawling and sim, but that's mostly my own fault (the powergamer in me doesn't want to "waste" afternoons/nights)
- giving many of the S-links additional gameplay benefits beyond the persona bonus/unlocking is perhaps my favourite improvement -- that or manual battle mode
- the Devil S-link is amusing

Fuu said:
On an unrelated note, I'd love to search pictures and make gifs from videos for this game but I must remind myself that I shouldn't do this before I finish it.
If you want any rather frequent scene I can do that for you -- as I said I'm on vacation right now, and I already have everathing set up for when I made my avatar :D

Darkman M

Volcynika said:
Needs more GALACTIC PUNT. That move is the best thing in the entire universe!

Yeah,
Kanji's
is is awesome too being it hit's multiple enemies and what he says when he does the move :lol

birdchili

Error said:
For some reason the dungeon crawling in this is not as engaging as in P3
yup. there are definitely a few ways that it's less fun than p3, though I'd argue that the loot was sucky in p3 as well (i do wish they had fixed this).

dungeon design is still (so far) just as terrible as before, with very little interesting about *how* you move around in them. i think the stalking shadows is actually less fun now than it was, though i'm still getting the hang of it...

having to get quests by randomly talking to everyone is far more annoying than just getting them in the velvet room. now i need to talk to every random npc constantly to make sure i have all of the quests that relate to the dungeon i'm working on? i did almost all of the p3 quests, but i think i'm going to pretty-much skip them in p4.

still having fun, of course... i hope that whatever atlus is working on for smt4 is different enough that i don't feel like i'm playing the same thing again though.

Darkman M

birdchili said:
yup. there are definitely a few ways that it's less fun than p3, though I'd argue that the loot was sucky in p3 as well (i do wish they had fixed this).

dungeon design is still (so far) just as terrible as before, with very little interesting about *how* you move around in them. i think the stalking shadows is actually less fun now than it was, though i'm still getting the hang of it...

having to get quests by randomly talking to everyone is far more annoying than just getting them in the velvet room. now i need to talk to every random npc constantly to make sure i have all of the quests that relate to the dungeon i'm working on? i did almost all of the p3 quests, but i think i'm going to pretty-much skip them in p4.

still having fun, of course... i hope that whatever atlus is working on for smt4 is different enough that i don't feel like i'm playing the same thing again though.

Keep playing, some of the dungeon designs are just beautiful and the music to go along with them.

Volcynika

birdchili said:

I think the quest thing was more a trade-off, since you can
now start a social link with Margaret.
But yeah, talking to everyone randomly might prove to be a little annoying for some.

Durante

(In reply to birdchili)
I agree on the dungeons, they really cheaped out on that. There is slightly more variation than there was in P3, but that's not saying much and the improvement is largely confined to visuals. There is a lot more that could technically be done with random dungeons -- heck there are games over a decade old that have significantly more gameplay variation in their randomly generated dungeons.

epmode

Darkman M said:
Keep playing, some of the dungeon designs are just beautiful and the music to go along with them.
Yeah, but they all play almost exactly the same. Other games handle random dungeons much better than Persona.

Dungeon design has never been a strong point for the series.

Top Bottom