• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
YuriLowell said:
So what do I do to figure out how to open the 3rd dungeon. I talked to the guy at the riverbank, but he says swing by if you learn anything new after I talked to him.

IIRC, you have to talk to the tofu shop lady, then pick the...second option, I think. You might have to wait a day between talking to the old lady, I think.

zoku88

Volcynika said:
The one where you're saving
Rise.
Oh yea, that one was kinda tough, but the one after that. Ugh, so bad for me. I hated the boss in that one too, though, I hated fighting the 3rd dungeon boss.

I beat the 4th dungeon a little while ago at lvl 37-ish >.>

Metroidvania said:
IIRC, you have to talk to the tofu shop lady, then pick the...second option, I think. You might have to wait a day between talking to the old lady, I think.

I did talk to her, but she just tells me the dude is down by the riverbank.
This is frustrating.

Volcynika

YuriLowell said:
I did talk to her, but she just tells me the dude is down by the riverbank.
This is frustrating.

Talk to a guy (he's chubby, so easy to pick out) on I think the second floor of the school (he might be in the club section on the 2nd floor), and he'll be the other link.

Darkman M

Guled said:
nice, but if I date more then on at the same time the SL will still get broken right?

Nah only way s-links are broken in this game is by answering certain questions wrong during certain events.

jsrv

Got the game a few days ago, massive improvement over Persona 3. The polish in this game is jaw-dropping. Might even top Valkyria Chronicles for me for my favorite game of 2008. :D

Fought
shadow yukiko
at level 12/12/9, damn near impossible. I think I got it down to 50%. Guess I should level up more.

So, I just beat the 2nd optional boss. Harder than the first, but I've still felt like both optional bosses so far have kind of been pushovers. I was hoping for more of a challenge. Do they get harder later on?

KuwabaraTheMan said:
So, I just beat the 2nd optional boss. Harder than the first, but I've still felt like both optional bosses so far have kind of been pushovers. I was hoping for more of a challenge. Do they get harder later on?

I thought the first optional boss was pretty hard. Well, I was level 17 (or was it 18?) when I beat it though. But it gave me a pretty good beating the first few times due to Rampage going off right as I was about to kill it.

Yaweee

KuwabaraTheMan said:

No, not really. If you make it to the end of the following dungeon and go back, they'll be a complete pushover. If you try to fight them right away, they'll probably be rough.

Really weird night of fusing, was trying to get my Empress S.Link up (god I hate doing these.) and needed to clear out my lists for some of the larger fusions, went to fuse a fortune persona, can't remember what it was and got a lvl 60 friggen fool one, NICE, considering I'm only at level 53.

Later, As I'm trying to make a Black Frost, I keep trying to fuse a lvl 20 Anzu with a lvl 4 asparas to get a Jack Frost with Auto-Sukukaja, I get a fuck up again, BOOM Hokuto-Whatever the fuck, the dude in the block of rock, like 30 levels higher than I owuld have gotten. Ok, no prob, they're cheap to buy back, so I go again. SECOND WILD CARD IN A ROW!!!! Holy shit, I get Decabria, who ends up at a higher level than me.

I've gotten the wild card 4 times in this game, three of them were tonight.

On the less bright side, getting my empress S. Link up to Lvl 7 has been a drain on my finances, I am poor as fuck now, how do I make money quickly, as I am running out of time.

I'm on 11/6.

Also, how the hell do I get a huge fish? Is it all luck? Trying to do Hermit 10.

Yaweee

bishopcruz said:
Really weird night of fusing, was trying to get my Empress S.Link up (god I hate doing these.) and needed to clear out my lists for some of the larger fusions, went to fuse a fortune persona, can't remember what it was and got a lvl 60 friggen fool one, NICE, considering I'm only at level 53.

Later, As I'm trying to make a Black Frost, I keep trying to fuse a lvl 20 Anzu with a lvl 4 asparas to get a Jack Frost with Auto-Sukukaja, I get a fuck up again, BOOM Hokuto-Whatever the fuck, the dude in the block of rock, like 30 levels higher than I owuld have gotten. Ok, no prob, they're cheap to buy back, so I go again. SECOND WILD CARD IN A ROW!!!! Holy shit, I get Decabria, who ends up at a higher level than me.

On the less bright side, getting my empress S. Link up to Lvl 7 has been a drain on my finances, I am poor as fuck now, how do I make money quickly, as I am running out of time.

I'm on 11/6.

Also, how the hell do I get a huge fish? Is it all luck? Trying to do Hermit 10.

For the huge fish, it has to be on a rainy day or night, I think. Watch the time difference between ripples and vibrations: Huge Fish are about 4-5 seconds, and once you turn in the huge fish, use the new rod to catch the Guardian (5-6 spacing).

You can tell which fish will bite based on vibrations, so if it is a small one (short spacings), press circle to draw back in a recast for a new fish.

Metroidvania

Rainy days.

Wait for a noticeable larger rumble if you have dualshock....if the rumble is weak, just press circle before the bait is dragged down, it resets the system without losing bait.

Or you can buy a huge fish from Tanaka at times.

Tamanon

Banned
bishopcruz said:

I'm on 11/6.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Huge Fish on one of the Tanaka hours, otherwise they pop up when raining more often....yup, there were 2 sold on October 9th from the shopping network.

@Zoku88

Oh yeah, the guide was completely wrong in that. The main diff in P4 to P3 is that in P3 you didn't get a choice in whether you banged the girls r not, if you wanted MAX S. Link you HAD to. In P4, you get the option to be monogamous, I just choose to not be.

Oct. Spoilers
Which makes the cultural festival awesome, as I play my guy as someone who just doesn't give a fuck, as he's already slept with just about everyone but Ai and Naoto. I can sit at the girl's side of the date table, because I'm already sleeping with Chie and Yukiko.

I do wish it would open up other options in storyline dialogue. Like in the (post festival)
Hot springs, I would have loved to have been, "I've already seen all of you neked, so WTF? Seriously."

Edit: Wow, 3 replies. Thanks a lot. I missed the Tanaka shit. Damn.

Yaweee said:
No, not really. If you make it to the end of the following dungeon and go back, they'll be a complete pushover. If you try to fight them right away, they'll probably be rough.

Well, I've fought both of them right as soon as I beat the dungeons, which is why I expected them to be harder than they were.

The second one kind of was, but I still beat it in one try.

It's odd, since the storyline bosses are a lot more difficult. I normally expect the opposite.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So, am I doing something really wrong or will shadows actually see me behind their backs now when I'm approaching? I just got
Chie's persona
and I'm on my second time in
Yukiko's Castle
but I haven't been able to get an advantage at the start of battle by surprising the enemy at all (they managed to do it twice on me though). I looked around a bit but couldn't find any mention of it, so it's likely I'm messing up somewhow...

Metroidvania

Fuu said:
So, am I doing something really wrong or will shadows actually see me behind their backs now when I'm approaching? I just got
Chie's persona
Yukiko's Castle
but I haven't been able to get an advantage at the start of battle by surprising the enemy at all (they managed to surprise me twice though). I looked around a bit but couldn't find any mention of it, so it's likely I'm messing up somewhow...

Supposedly, advantage/disadvantage is based off your level and the enemies, to some extent.

I've only ever gotten advantage when I was higher levelled, had the one arcana card, or once in a blue moon.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Fuu said:
Chie's persona
Yukiko's Castle
but I haven't been able to get an advantage at the start of battle by surprising the enemy at all (they managed to do it twice on me though). I looked around a bit but couldn't find any mention of it, so it's likely I'm messing up somewhow...

Their ability to detect you is basically determined entirely by your level relative to theirs now. If you go back to an early location you can basically walk right up to a shadow's face and smack them without them even getting alerted.

Blackjack

Metroidvania said:
Supposedly, advantage/disadvantage is based off your level and the enemies, to some extent.

I've only ever gotten advantage when I was higher levelled, had the one arcana card, or once in a blue moon.
Go up behind them and hit them before they turn around. They will ALWAYS see you, until your level is a lot higher than theirs, but as long as you hit them from the back, you'll be fine.

Yaweee

Fuu said:
Chie's persona
Yukiko's Castle

No, it's true. You have to take advantage of your range and their turning radius to get the initiative. Their detection radius and 'startled' duration are dependent on their relative level (as is the size of them. If they're HUGE, they'll see you further away. If they're tiny, you're over-leveled and probably won't get much exp.)

-----------

And done.

So, how about that Raidou 2?

Fuu

Thanks for the info guys.

Hmm, this sucks imo. I liked to surprise them from behind in P3 and it was nice how it was a certain thing every time since having the advantage at the start is damn important in Persona. Being level based like that isn't adequate to me, but I'll have to live with it... At least hitting then before the battle starts still has some significance, I guess.

This and the new camera are the only things bothering me for now (I feel that the farther one from P3 was nicer than the new behind the back one). I'm loving the new tweaks like being able to check the skills descriptions on the Persona menu, equipping stuff on the characters right after buying it at the shop, save points everywhere, etc. Well, back to playing.

Boulayman

New to the persona world, is there any way to save within the dungeon ? I am in the
shadow kanji world and I got owned due to an annoying regular encounter due to some tiger, I beat him thatn the game added some kind of extra one to fight (I HATE it when it does that) and that one seemes weak at first then all of a sudden he killed in one shot the MC who had close to full health... So frustrating.. .But the game is soo good

latest SMT moment, the first dungeon.

Reached the boss with little sp over all for my party, and not many HP items. Fight pretty much trickled down to me needing to plan out each turn and every move for survival. Chie almost died, Yosuke ran out of much needed healing, and I nearly died from fear infliction twice. Only a SMT game can give you a worthwhile nail biting turn based experience. Whoo!

Urban Scholar said:
latest SMT moment, the first dungeon.

Reached the boss with little sp over all for my party, and not many HP items. Fight pretty much trickled down to me needing to plan out each turn and every move for survival. Chie almost died, Yosuke ran out of much needed healing, and I nearly died from fear infliction twice. Only a SMT game can give you a worthwhile nail biting turn based experience. Whoo!

My last SMT moment was fingthing the main boss of the fourth dungeon, I had to use a Soma during that bitch IIRC, and nearly died at least 3 times. I also love the SMT games, because sometimes you actually need to use items. You also don't feel like you are saving them for some mythical last boss or shit like that either.

It's also the only series where I keep friggen RUN AWAY items on me at all times. You never know when you are going to run into a bad set of regular enemies, get surprised, or need to run, just to survive. Holy hell, this game is evil.

Guled said:
nice, but if I date more then on at the same time the SL will still get broken right?

They're not "official" girlfriends until level 8 or so and once you max them out they're not going anywhere. Honestly it seems a lot easier than in P3, which is good.

School Camping trip:
Man, that was great. So much comedy, and just full of great character moments. Kanji's is becoming one of my favorites, and the river scene was all kinds of awesome.:lol

Fuu

Tried it a bit more and now I fully get what Blackjack said and what Yaweee meant by the turning radius. Even if they notice me I can still get them by their backs and I'll have the advantage. I was under the wrong impression that if they "!" notice me my chances of getting the advantage were gone but it doesn't work like that as I can still do it. Thanks again everyone, no problems with this new system now.

I'm sleepy as hell though, it's late here and I have work tomorrow. It's at these times that I wish there was a suspend save function in every RPG. :lol

firex

YuriLowell said:
So what do I do to figure out how to open the 3rd dungeon. I talked to the guy at the riverbank, but he says swing by if you learn anything new after I talked to him.
I didn't see this answered. Basically, exhaust all the guy's options. Ask him everything. Then you should know what to do.

lupin23rd

Two hours into this or so, my first SMT game, although I watched my friend wrestle through P3 last year (god I hate that one song that the game has). So far, enjoying myself and glad I picked it up.

Any suggestions for a first-timer? I'm worried with the whole calendar system that I am going to miss shit easily. With my backlog I'm not sure I want to play through this more than once anytime soon, but I also don't want to use a walkthrough if possible.

JEKKI

lupin23rd said:
Any suggestions for a first-timer? I'm worried with the whole calendar system that I am going to miss shit easily. With my backlog I'm not sure I want to play through this more than once anytime soon, but I also don't want to use a walkthrough if possible.
lol, well if u dont wanna use a walkthru then the only thing u can rely on is luck.

my tips are... always do social links! never do dungeon unless u really need to. For the first dungeon the best days are
The first available day, 4/27, and 4/29 - 3 days altogether

I jus beat that dungeon btw! I dont gotta step into another one until
5/20
so I got hella time to do S Links!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So what happens if I don't join a sport? Is there a time limit for when I can join one? Cuz I don't really feel like working on the strength link right now

Tamanon

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
So what happens if I don't join a sport? Is there a time limit for when I can join one? Cuz I don't really feel like working on the strength link right now

Nothing, you can join whenever you want. Although you need to get the Strength link up to 4 to open up Moon.

Tamanon said:
Nothing, you can join whenever you want. Although you need to get the Strength link up to 4 to open up Moon.

Of course, you need to get your courage up to Brave to actually start on Moon, anyways.

But I would recommend starting the sports team relatively early on. That's just me, though.

epmode

grandjedi6 said:
Strength is a good one to work on early since it boosts a stat as the link increases. Do it do it do it

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well I suppose I might as well start the sports club since I can't find Chie. Isn't she suppose to be on the rooftop on school days? (its a Thursday btw).

...Perhaps I do need to get that Doublejump guide afterall :lol

Tamanon

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Well I suppose I might as well start the sports club since I can't find Chie. Isn't she suppose to be on the rooftop on school days? (its a Thursday btw).

...Perhaps I do need to get that Doublejump guide afterall :lol

The party members are more sporatic in what days they're available, especially if you're in mid-mission.

Boulayman

Tetsuo9 said:
its a trap!

What do you mean it's a trap ? Should I just escape those battles with that particular one ? I also ended up fighting something called wealth hand at some point, looked fairly inoffensive then owned my team and escaped... And is there a fast way to get rid of those fat cops with a key in their stomach ? They're tough ....

So many questions...

Yaweee

Blackjack said:
Just finished, with the True Ending. Amazing game, great ending. HORRIBLE last boss, though. So fucking easy.
I don't know if I got lucky or what, but its attacks connected less than half the time, even BEFORE Sukukaja and Sukunda
:lol

What level were you at? That was not an issue for me at all, but I was only level
75, whereas I beat the previous dungeon at 73 (on expert, but I don't believe difficulty messes with hit % at all).

Tamanon

Banned
Boulayman said:
What do you mean it's a trap ? Should I just escape those battles with that particular one ? I also ended up fighting something called wealth hand at some point, looked fairly inoffensive then owned my team and escaped... And is there a fast way to get rid of those fat cops with a key in their stomach ? They're tough ....

So many questions...

The Last Resort ones are a little tricky, since they don't do anything unless they're at low health at which point they destroy you.

The way to handle them is to deal damage with Yosuke or Yukiko one turn. Then the next turn knock them down and All Out attack them. You must kill them somewhere between 50% and 0% health otherwise, boom.

And the fat cops are susceptible to confusion, Skull Cracker them. Also, I think they're weak to either Hama or Mudo skills.

Boulayman

Tamanon said:
The Last Resort ones are a little tricky, since they don't do anything unless they're at low health at which point they destroy you.

The way to handle them is to deal damage with Yosuke or Yukiko one turn. Then the next turn knock them down and All Out attack them. You must kill them somewhere between 50% and 0% health otherwise, boom.

And the fat cops are susceptible to confusion, Skull Cracker them. Also, I think they're weak to either Hama or Mudo skills.

Yeah, I noticed the confusion one a little while ago, makes it FAR easier... I tried it out of desperation... So different from final fantasy games where status spells are useless since they always miss. what's up with that greedy fox ? more than 20000 yen for healing ???

Thanks for the help about the last resort ones, the first time I encountered them I was able to beat them fairly easily since my turn started out with the MC so I just zioed them then finished them off. Not I know why I got wiped out during the next turn :) Just got some kind of curse that makes all the battle start with advantage to the enemy, which makes the battle a hell of a lot harder so I'll just call it quite and return in a few days then. Oh and while we're at it, how did you deal with those tigers ? I just had to use a vanishing ball since they both want on rampage on me within the first turn (couldn't even do anything since that curse made it advantage to them)

Blackjack

Yaweee said:
What level were you at? That was not an issue for me at all, but I was only level
75, whereas I beat the previous dungeon at 73 (on expert, but I don't believe difficulty messes with hit % at all).
I was ~80 or so.
It did decent damage, when it actually hit. It was kind of hilarious, actually. First round it went before anyone else, uses Megidolaon. I'm like "oh, shit" -- four misses.
:lol Also on Expert, for the record.

Tamanon

Banned
Boulayman said:
Yeah, I noticed the confusion one a little while ago, makes it FAR easier... I tried it out of desperation... So different from final fantasy games where status spells are useless since they always miss. what's up with that greedy fox ? more than 20000 yen for healing ???

Thanks for the help about the last resort ones, the first time I encountered them I was able to beat them fairly easily since my turn started out with the MC so I just zioed them then finished them off. Not I know why I got wiped out during the next turn :) Just got some kind of curse that makes all the battle start with advantage to the enemy, which makes the battle a hell of a lot harder so I'll just call it quite and return in a few days then. Oh and while we're at it, how did you deal with those tigers ? I just had to use a vanishing ball since they both want on rampage on me within the first turn (couldn't even do anything since that curse made it advantage to them)

Tigers get their skull cracked!

Yaweee

Blackjack said:
I was ~80 or so.
It did decent damage, when it actually hit. It was kind of hilarious, actually. First round it went before anyone else, uses Megidolaon. I'm like "oh, shit" -- four misses.
:lol Also on Expert, for the record.

ooooooooooooooh, lol, never mind. I had three of my members with that Pillar accessory that keeps them from dodging. Perhaps the fight would have been easier without those equipped.

Top Bottom