• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

birdchili

Volcynika said:
I think the quest thing was more a trade-off...
except that there's nothing that would have prevented them from doing this in p3 without changing the quest structure?

I don't think that the random dungeon designs add anything to the game (unlike in many roguelikes). It lets atlus do less dungeon designing, but they could make things *way* more compelling by manually configuring the levels so they felt a bit more like real places (they could do this without creating any extra art).

If you're going to make the designs random, you need to make the shape/configuration of rooms and hallways relevant to the gameplay so you need to pay attention. That's not the case here at all (so far).

I'm not going to get nearly enough time to play this on my holidays...:(

Volcynika

birdchili said:
except that there's nothing that would have prevented them from doing this in p3 without changing the quest structure?

I don't think that the random dungeon designs add anything to the game (unlike in many roguelikes). It lets atlus do less dungeon designing, but they could make things *way* more compelling by manually configuring the levels so they felt a bit more like real places (they could do this without creating any extra art).

If you're going to make the designs random, you need to make the shape/configuration of rooms and hallways relevant to the gameplay so you need to pay attention. That's not the case here at all (so far).

I'm not going to get nearly enough time to play this on my holidays...:(

I don't design games, so I'm just theorizing!

:p

aku08

man, the optional boss in
yukiko's castle
is kicking my ass. i hate that
king - he has that 'attack all' move that wipes out my entire party in one turn
. so i guess i need to level up some more, i have a question tho - does all the optional boss stay there through out the game? can i just come back to him later?

Volcynika

aku08 said:
yukiko's castle
. so i guess i need to level up some more, i have a question tho - does all the optional boss stay there through out the game? can i just come back to him later?

I'm about to beat the third dungeon, and he's still there, for what it's worth.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Durante said:
If you want any rather frequent scene I can do that for you -- as I said I'm on vacation right now, and I already have everathing set up for when I made my avatar :D
That would be great! :D I'm not far in the game but by now I'd really like a gif of Yosuke's victory move where he takes the headphone off and shakes his hair, if possible. Any size would be fine (or character costume), but avatar size would be ideal. It's probably in one of the old trailers, but a direct capture would be much better. :)

birdchili

Volcynika said:
I don't design games, so I'm just theorizing!

:p
i don't design games either, but i'm an enthusiastic critic:) (particularly of games i actually *like*, of course)

i'm glad to see stuff like persona (and especially smt3) doing well - i wish we got more compelling turn-based rpgs with systems as focused as this.

firex

so I beat the third dungeon the same day I unlocked it. it was pretty easy... although I got some very lucky arcana card draws that helped. On the next to last floor, I got an upright Judgement card when I was planning on reaching the save point, warping out, and fighting the boss another day with full HP/SP. much earlier, about halfway through, I got upright Death, which wasn't bad because Sarasvati is ridiculously overpowered even without fusing her with anything special, so the hero was able to use that full SP recharge to heal the party and then regenerate while battling my way to the end of the dungeon.

I think I'm liking this cast of characters a lot more than P3's, at least so far. I really liked Aigis in P3, and I thought some of the "main" characters in SEES (basically Yukari, Junpei and Mitsuru) were interesting, but there's nobody on the investigation team so far that I hate. And there were plenty of times in P3 where I didn't like Ken or Fuuka.

Of course, I already know that someone else will join later, which the intro video kind of spoils:
He's in the montage with everyone else's animated silhouettes, so it's a dead giveaway to me that I should group him with the rest of the team.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
aku08 said:
yukiko's castle
I just killed him at around level 17 and he wasn't really that tough. If you save before fighting him he doesn't always use his kill everyone move. I started out the fight by lowering his defense and raising chie's attack so her bufu can do more damage (he is weakest to ice) and then pounded away on him and won and he never used the attack. It is much better to go back earlier because you get a reward that might be useless later on.

aku08

NoitoraJirugajr said:
I just killed him at around level 17 and he wasn't really that tough. If you save before fighting him he doesn't always use his kill everyone move. I started out the fight by lowering his defense and raising chie's attack so her bufu can do more damage (he is weakest to ice) and then pounded away on him and won and he never used the attack. It is much better to go back earlier because you get a reward that might be useless later on.

yeah, i tried 5 times, and he used that move five straight times, hehehe, i guess i have bad luck. i'll try again tonight, thanks for the tip.

(and one minor gripe - i wish it wouldve been possible for the other guys to use revival bread on your main character as opposed to instant game over.)

Blackjack

aku08 said:
(and one minor gripe - i wish it wouldve been possible for the other guys to use revival bread on your main character as opposed to instant game over.)
Yeah. Game Over on MC Death didn't make sense in Persona 3, and it doesn't make sense here, either.

Boulayman

NoitoraJirugajr said:

I am at Kanji's dungeaon right now. How do you go back to yukiko's one ? I have all my quests to be completed in that one and the bear doesn't really leave me a choice ?

Blackjack

Boulayman said:
I am at Kanji's dungeaon right now. How do you go back to yukiko's one ? I have all my quests to be completed in that one and the bear doesn't really leave me a choice ?
Talk to Yukiko or Chie.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay Shadow
Kanji
, I'm level 25 with a level 26 matador and a level 26 strong physical Rakshasha. You're going to get it in the butt.

not that you wouldn't like that anyway~ lolz

Tenks

NoitoraJirugajr said:

Does using attack raise buff increase magical damage as well? I played all of P3 and could never actually figure it out.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Tenks said:
Does using attack raise buff increase magical damage as well? I played all of P3 and could never actually figure it out.
Sure seems to for me just like defense down makes magic do more damage. Its nice that they don't have separate buffs/debuffs.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I got Persona 4 but forgot to post in this thread.

I just finished the Final Exam of the spring semester, reached dungeon 4 (of awesomeness), and just maxed out Yukiko. The next girl I am going after will be Rise.

Does dating girls affect the storyline of dialogue in any way? It was pretty disturbing to have a dialogue with Chie and she mentions that Yukiko has no boyfriend. What the hell? My silent protagonist is her boyfriend.

Grr......

Chorazin

Blackjack said:
Yeah. Game Over on MC Death didn't make sense in Persona 3, and it doesn't make sense here, either.

I know, they should just have the next availible party member raise you regardless of your control option for them, provided you have a resurrection item or spell.

Tamanon

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

I just finished the Final Exam of the spring semester, reached dungeon 4 (of awesomeness), and just maxed out Yukiko. The next girl I am going after will be Rise.

Does dating girls affect the storyline of dialogue in any way? It was pretty disturbing to have a dialogue with Chie and she mentions that Yukiko has no boyfriend. What the hell? My silent protagonist is her boyfriend.

Grr......

Keep in mind, the girls don't tell anyone about dating you. That's made clear in some dungeon conversations when one mentions leaving their sock in your room and the other gets all surprised.:lol

Durante

Hcoregamer00 said:
Does dating girls affect the storyline of dialogue in any way? It was pretty disturbing to have a dialogue with Chie and she mentions that Yukiko has no boyfriend. What the hell?
It doesn't seem so. I've not yet reached the 4th dungeon but already maxed Chie and Yukiko, and it doesn't seem to affect the "main story" scenes at all. Also, it seems like -- as with P3 -- it's no problem to maximize multiple s-links on the romance path as long as you finish one before going too far with another.

Tamanon said:
Keep in mind, the girls don't tell anyone about dating you. That's made clear in some dungeon conversations when one mentions leaving their sock in your room and the other gets all surprised.:lol
Ah I see :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Tamanon said:

Holy Moly, that sounds great.

If that is one thing I love in Persona 4, it is that you can whore out the MC to everyone.

Durante said:
It doesn't seem so. I've not yet reached the 4th dungeon but already maxed Chie and Yukiko, and it doesn't seem to affect the "main story" scenes at all. Also, it seems like -- as with P3 -- it's no problem to maximize multiple s-links on the romance path as long as you finish one before going too far with another.

Too bad it doesn't affect the main story, it would be pretty cool to have the dialogue change to fix the relationships. After all, I spent so much time getting Yukiko that it should change the story.

I also love how the game hides sex with any of the female characters, they "stay with you" for an extended period of time. LOL

Do they want to stay away from the nerd rage of knowing that the Main Character is banging every girl once you get to level 10 on the romance route?

Chorazin

Hcoregamer00 said:

Grr......

Sadly, no. She might be letting the MC....sizzle her grilled steak, to borrow a Inaba colloquialism, outside of scripted events, but inside she'll be paired up with the designer's choice.

Crystalkoen

Durante, I like that avatar, but was wondering if you know a way (using a model viewer or the like) to get a front view that's not from a large distance/involving a targetting reticle?

Durante

Crystalkoen said:
Durante, I like that avatar, but was wondering if you know a way (using a model viewer or the like) to get a front view that's not from a large distance/involving a targetting reticle?
No. Otherwise that would be my avatar ;)
I did try it by running up closely against a wall in exploration mode and then waiting for her to jump but didn't manage to get a good camera angle using that method.

aku08 said:
cool avatar, but i cant help but see two red balls licking chie over and over again. :lol
I never thought of that, but now that you say it... once you see it you can't unsee it :/

aku08

Durante said:
No. Otherwise that would be my avatar ;)
I did try it by running up closely against a wall in exploration mode and then waiting for her to jump but didn't manage to get a good camera angle using that method.

cool avatar, but i cant help but see two red balls licking chie over and over again. :lol

How come the previous characters designs look significantly older on the sketches? Especially Rise and Kanji, were they supposed to have different backgrounds?

Yaweee

Prime crotch said:
How come the previous characters designs look significantly older on the sketches? Especially Rise and Kanji, were they supposed to have different backgrounds?

I really liked the alternate designs for Rise, Yukiko, and Kanji. Like you say, it's hard to imagine the gangster version of Kanji having the same story and characterization, but it's such a good design that I hope Soejima uses it at some point in the future. Trinity Soul got some of P3's hand me downs, so he has no aversion to using his scrapheap.

inner-G

Banned
momolicious said:
Are the videos in the game compressed? It seems that way, it does not look HD clear at all. The voices seem compressed also.
umm... 99% of all video on discs is compressed. Unless its just RAW data.

DVD and Blu-Ray players all require compression. DVD uses MPEG2 usually, and blu-ray uses either mpeg 2 or AVC I believe.

FredFish

Teddie!

Wow the Rise boss fight is spectacular (and not because of her shadow's lurid posturing). A challenging fight where she mixes up her damage types followed by SHADOW FREAKIN TEDDIE! I was working him down when I got caught switching Persona to an Ice weak Unicorn right before he unleashed a Charged up Mabufula. Down goes MC and I had to call it a night since it was almost 4 am. I'll be back tonight shadow teddie and you'll get yours!

Y2Kev

So who should be in my party now? I rescued
Kanji.
I always have Yukiko for healing and Chie is really powerful...but Yosuke has dekaja. Should I swap out Yosuke? Or is the new guy not worth it?

FredFish

Y2Kev said:
Kanji.
I always have Yukiko for healing and Chie is really powerful...but Yosuke has dekaja. Should I swap out Yosuke? Or is the new guy not worth it?

New guy has tons of HPs and good stats but after using him for a bit I went back to Yosuke. Dia is a crappy heal but having Yos use it between battles (or during battle in extremis) to top off the party instead of using items or another characters SP really helps keep the dungeoning going. YMMV

edit: something of a follow-up but the dirth of SP items is a real downer. I'm hoping the Pharmacy has that for sale if and when it opens up

Blackjack

Y2Kev said:
Kanji.
Use the three you like the most.

FredFish said:
edit: something of a follow-up but the dirth of SP items is a real downer. I'm hoping the Pharmacy has that for sale if and when it opens up
The item shop/Pharmacy is available right from the start. It's the shop right past the tofu place (it goes Blacksmith -- Tofu -- Pharmacy)

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Ugh i totally ignored the game's suggestions to investigate and now im going to be cutting the second major dungeon really close because it seems that each part of the investigation must be a day apart. If you beat the first dungeon, make sure you do the investigation stuff when you are first able to and don't slack like me :(

FredFish

Blackjack said:
The item shop/Pharmacy is available right from the start. It's the shop right past the tofu place (it goes Blacksmith -- Tofu -- Pharmacy)

Not the item shop in South but the actual "Pharmacy" in the North shopping district. It's across the street from Aiya restaurant. You can "examine" it but get something like "sign says its closed for business"

Blackjack

FredFish said:
Not the item shop in South but the actual "Pharmacy" in the North shopping district. It's across the street from Aiya restaurant. You can "examine" it but get something like "sign says its closed for business"
Oh, yeah, nothing like that. Just the one item shop.

Y2Kev

Blackjack said:
Use the three you like the most.

I like Yosuke's skills but new kid seems like he'd be powerful.

Volcynika

Just got whooped in the third dungeon by the main boss:
Shadow Rise was fairly easy, but Shadow Teddie used Heat Wave and lowered defense to kill the protag right from the get go.

Blackjack

Y2Kev said:
I'm not dating ugly girls here, I'm building a killing machine. :D
Honestly, once you get that fifth character (including MC here), the game is...really not all that difficult. I think I maybe died three times, total after that point (and like 589054 before it :lol ). They're all effective enough to be viable party members.

Yaweee

Blackjack said:
Honestly, once you get that fifth character (including MC here), the game is...really not all that difficult. I think I maybe died three times, total after that point (and like 589054 before it :lol ). They're all effective enough to be viable party members.

I completely agree. I kept track of my deaths, and there were 22 in the first half, and only seven in the second half. (on expert, just like Blackjack.)

The lead-up to and wait after the second and third dungeons is the low point of the game, but the boss of the second dungeon is probably the best fight.

birdchili

Y2Kev said:
I'm not dating ugly girls here, I'm building a killing machine. :D
this is what we call "having the right priorities". the fate of the world is hanging in the balance (well... presumably it will be revealed at some point that that's what's happening).

i did my rp early-on in persona 3. i started having more fun when i started being more calculating. now i'm role playing a cynical manipulative schemer, with a fancy daytimer and a quest to save the world (he's got a good heart overall you see - he's just got to use a lot of folk for the greater good).

FredFish said:

There wasn't a whole lot about P4 that disappointed me, but this is definitely part of it. What's the point of having all these stores that never open? I really wanted to see what they would have in the hobby shop.

Blackjack

rainking187 said:
There wasn't a whole lot about P4 that disappointed me, but this is definitely part of it. What's the point of having all these stores that never open? I really wanted to see what they would have in the hobby shop.
The point was to show all the local businesses being crushed by Junes.

Top Bottom