• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm...question on the "contract"...

Igor mentions that it will be formed soon after you enter in your name, but IIRC, I can't recall any actual contract being made, even when your power is awakened.

Is it more of an intuitive thing this time, rather than a signed one like P3, or am I missing something?

Also.....If they do make a P4:FES of any kind, it'd be amazing for everyone to go the the MC's city. Heck, do it for P5, even.

Also, this spoiler regarding Margaret's being the velvet car.....

I'd read on Wiki that she mentions that Elizabeth went to see if the latter could free the protagonist of P3, has anyone else seen this? I didn't in my maxing of her s-link, so I'm guessing it might occur during the second playthrough where you can fight her in heaven during the true ending...

Tamanon

Banned
Metroidvania said:
Hmm...question on the "contract"...

Igor mentions that it will be formed soon after you enter in your name, but IIRC, I can't recall any actual contract being made, even when your power is awakened.

Is it more of an intuitive thing this time, rather than a signed one like P3, or am I missing something?

Also.....If they do make a P4:FES of any kind, it'd be amazing for everyone to go the the MC's city. Heck, do it for P5, even.

Also, this spoiler regarding Margaret's being the velvet car.....

I'd read on Wiki that she mentions that Elizabeth went to see if the latter could free the protagonist of P3, has anyone else seen this? I didn't in my maxing of her s-link, so I'm guessing it might occur during the second playthrough where you can fight her in heaven during the true ending...

I thought the contract was
The one you agree to with Teddie

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
vas_a_morir said:
I'm sorry, will you please ignore them.

I thought it was "I'm sorry, I want the music louder."

Or "faster." Never could quite figure that out.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not really sure why they're apologizing, either.

Y2Kev said:
Music in dungeon 3 is hot

Seriously.

Speaking of Dungeon 3,
was it just me or was that mini-boss the easiest yet? It had an extremely easily exploited weakness, and no really powerful attack

On the other hand, it's amazing how this game will make every single encounter pulse pounding. I just got to the save point at the end of Dungeon 3, and I spent the last 20 encounters with my heart racing hoping I wouldn't get a game over and lose an hour plus of progress.

Took a lot of allies taking mortal blows, too. Thank god for no Last Resort or Mudo.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
5th dungeon spoilers

wow that was so fucking obvious, still the voice actress did a great job. I think figuring this out in the JP version would've been harder since sometimes women voice males in anime/games.

I bet Kanji's breath a huge air relief knowing that Naoto is actually a girl
:lol

Tetsuo9

Error said:
5th dungeon spoilers

I bet Kanji's breath a huge air relief knowing that Naoto is actually a girl
:lol
Actually we reached the conclusion that this doesn't seem to be an issue in Inaba.

firex

fuck the motherfucking cocksucker who put that boss at the end of that dungeon, btw. I'm seriously killing the son of a bitch who designed it and raping his entire family, then pissing on their corpses. god, fuck ghastly wail, and fuck being able to beat that boss without looking up a fucking fusion guide to figure out how to make a persona with Null Fear and no elemental weaknesses unless you just ass-backwards stumble into one.

Blackjack

firex said:
fuck the motherfucking cocksucker who put that boss at the end of that dungeon, btw. I'm seriously killing the son of a bitch who designed it and raping his entire family, then pissing on their corpses. god, fuck ghastly wail, and fuck being able to beat that boss without looking up a fucking fusion guide to figure out how to make a persona with Null Fear and no elemental weaknesses unless you just ass-backwards stumble into one.
Which one.

firex

it only uses ghastly wail during the stagnant air spam phase, on a turn after it afflicts people with fear (if you don't cure it). I've had that wipe me out like 3 times because of my whole party getting hit by it, and everyone cowering in fear. the only other thing that killed me was an incredibly cheap turn where he got a critical hit on someone and used megidola when I was going to cast mediarama, and it killed the main character.

because, you know, having a fully healthy party except for the main character, and having Yukiko know recarm means there's no way I could just revive him and not have to fast forward through a cutscene for the 5th time.

Error

firex said:
Yatagarusu gets Null fear but you need to have the Sun S.Link at rank 6.

And yeah, hated the shit out of that boss fight. It's visually neat, but otherwise so retarded.

Oh and I'm doing Naoto's S.link for sure, it has to be hilarious.

zoku88

Blackjack said:
Can't be, that one was easy as hell. :p

But for real, if it was, then I honestly never even knew it HAD Ghastly Wail.
I think I may have the numbering one, what boss are you talking about?

In spoilers, of course.

Yaweee

firex said:
because, you know, having a fully healthy party except for the main character, and having Yukiko know recarm means there's no way I could just revive him and not have to fast forward through a cutscene for the 5th time.

That annoys me too. The mechanic makes sense in the main SMT series or DS where the MC is often the only human party member, but P2 got along just fine without that crap, as did DDS.

Argghhhh at unskippable cutscenes. The opening to the game is still like an hour long when holding down triangle.

What level are you at trying to beat that boss? Status ailment % drops off quite a bit per level.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i started playing this game last night, i'm really digging it. the changes between Persona 3 and Persona 4 are pretty apparent but still make them seem like the same game.

I havent actually played any of the dungeon crawling yet, though, so i'll still have to see how it is compared to P3.

So far, i give it a thumbs up.

RyoHazuki

4th dungeon question:
How do I get past the sealed door to get to the boss? Please don't tell me there's a key in one of those golden chests because I don't have any chest keys to open them.

Blackjack

RyoHazuki said:
4th dungeon question:
How do I get past the sealed door to get to the boss? Please don't tell me there's a key in one of those golden chests because I don't have any chest keys to open them.
Go back to the 7th floor and find the miniboss.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
sorry if this was already posted ..

Gamespy Review

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game that can be enjoyed on many different levels. It's an intriguing look at a high school student carving out a life for himself in a new town. It's also a fascinating murder mystery thriller filled with plot twists and shocking moments. It also happens to be a challenging dungeon crawler that will test your knowledge over the game's combat system to its limits. Persona 4 does all those things and does them very well. This is an RPG that succeeds on many different levels and is one of the best games of the year.

Pros:
* Stylish art direction and character designs
* Deep gameplay mechanics
* A captivating slice of life in rural Japan
* Superbly written storyline

Cons:
* Repetitive dungeon corridors look bland
* Combat can be incredibly difficult on the normal setting

Read Full Review >>

zoku88

Blackjack said:
Oh bloody >_<

I died so many times on the 4th dungeon boss >.>

Megidola could basically one-hit my party and almost every battle, he got a lucky shot in... cept the 2nd time when he basically did that whail thing and killed my MC even though he had one or two hits left...

zoku88 said:
Oh bloody >_<

I died so many times on the 4th dungeon boss >.>

Megidola could basically one-hit my party and almost every battle, he got a lucky shot in... cept the 2nd time when he basically did that whail thing and killed my MC even though he had one or two hits left...

You probably need to be a slightly higher level than. A critical attack + Megidola should not one shot your character. Also, higher level somewhat increases your resistance to status attacks. This boss was a tad weird for me. I found the mitsuo the hero much more troublesome for me, as two attacks (160+ attack, Enervation attack or a 200+ group attack) was scarier then anything the baby could come up with. Also, a trick I used was to get a persona with the reflect magic skill and cast it on the ally that I knew that was about to get his weakness exposed. It also helps if you are using a no weak Persona like Dis or Black Frost. I fused an Alrune (Moon) and have her pass the Reflect Magic skill to Dis which had Agidyne + Magic Charge.

If you worry about random critical killing you. Sukunda and Masukunda will help, as well as tarunda and maturanda. Persona is great in that status effects, as well as stat up spells are always useful and deadly.

zoku88

frostythecat said:
You probably need to be a slightly higher level than. A critical attack + Megidola should not one shot your character. Also, higher level somewhat increases your resistance to status attacks. This boss was a tad weird for me. I found the mitsuo the hero much more troublesome for me, as two attacks (160+ attack, Enervation attack or a 200+ group attack) was scarier then anything the baby could come up with. Also, a trick I used was to get a persona with the reflect magic skill and cast it on the ally that I knew that was about to get his weakness exposed. It also helps if you are using a no weak Persona like Dis or Black Frost. I fused an Alrune (Moon) and have her pass the Reflect Magic skill to Dis which had Agidyne + Magic Charge.

If you worry about random critical killing you. Sukunda and Masukunda will help, as well as tarunda and maturanda. Persona is great in that status effects, as well as stat up spells are always useful and deadly.
I've already beaten the boss. I also don't grind in RPGs, so yea... I believe every battle you get to should be beatable at your current level (or else, you shouldn't be able to get to that point.) This battle was, so that's ok ^^

The Hero is easy. Rakunda + Tarunda makes it a non-threat.

I've already beaten the boss. I also don't grind in RPGs, so yea... I believe every battle you get to should be beatable at your current level (or else, you shouldn't be able to get to that point.) This battle was, so that's ok ^^

The Hero is easy. Rakunda + Tarunda makes it a non-threat.

The damage I posted was after Tarunda was cast. I was playing on Expert though. Makarakarn made the baby so much easier then the Hero. The only time my characters died was when he attack for 160 then gigadyne for another 200 and did not miss. The only way I could deal with that was 2 Mediarama + Sukunda + Tarunda. The hero was annoying as he reformed it 4 times, as I couldn't deal enough damage to stop it. Perhaps I was under leveled myself.

Ugh, Dungeon 3

I had Shadow Teddie down to a sliver of his health, and I couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 turns away from victory. But of course he had used Ice Break to get rid of my immunity, and then did a Mabufula. So frustrating.

I guess I'll try again tomorrow after work. I should be able to beat it since I came so close this time.

Error

Ah that's so lame.

Culture festival spoilers

Naoto dropped out of the Swimsuit contest
LAME

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
that slutty teacher just warned me not to fall for jailbait :lol :lol , this game is so awesome.

Shit, shit, shit! Someone help me out in getting the best ending! Well, at least I think this is how the ending's decided. Anyway, I'm talking about...

I'm at the hospital right now, and the choice-making happens in Namatame's room. I immediately reset because I skipped a whole bunch of months! WTF! (I only saw a little of the anime cutscene, too) I had to go through ALL the text again, and even with holding down the triangle, it took over 10 minutes--maybe even around 20! The only choice I haven't tried is "I can't be here" as a reply to Yosuke's "What do you think?" shtick. I know there's more gameplay, dammit, and I want to experience it! These other endings are fucking horrible! No way am I taking this underwhelming shit after 70 hours! HELL NO!

Hopefully I wake up to an answer so I can try later; thanks in advance, guys!

firex

Yaweee said:
That annoys me too. The mechanic makes sense in the main SMT series or DS where the MC is often the only human party member, but P2 got along just fine without that crap, as did DDS.

Argghhhh at unskippable cutscenes. The opening to the game is still like an hour long when holding down triangle.

What level are you at trying to beat that boss? Status ailment % drops off quite a bit per level.
I'm level 41. and for anyone wondering, triangle more or less auto-advances the voiced cutscenes and skips through them. It's just as fast as mashing X, maybe faster. and in P1 the main character could die and be revived, too... I think. I forget, because it's been like a decade since I played it.

Tetsuo9

dragonlife29 said:
Shit, shit, shit! Someone help me out in getting the best ending! Well, at least I think this is how the ending's decided. Anyway, I'm talking about...

I'm at the hospital right now, and the choice-making happens in Namatame's room. I immediately reset because I skipped a whole bunch of months! WTF! (I only saw a little of the anime cutscene, too) I had to go through ALL the text again, and even with holding down the triangle, it took over 10 minutes--maybe even around 20! The only choice I haven't tried is "I can't be here" as a reply to Yosuke's "What do you think?" shtick. I know there's more gameplay, dammit, and I want to experience it! These other endings are fucking horrible! No way am I taking this underwhelming shit after 70 hours! HELL NO!

Hopefully I wake up to an answer so I can try later; thanks in advance, guys!
Question 1: Option 3
Question 2: Option 1
Question 3: Option 3
Question 4: Option 2
Question 5: Option 3
Question 6: Option 2

Later there are more events and choices that will give you the bad ending, so save often and watch out.

Totakeke

Unfortunately all the antagonists are a letdown, the story had much more potential with the background mythology too. The later parts just feel tacked on.

Error said:
Ah that's so lame.

Culture festival spoilers

Naoto dropped out of the Swimsuit contest
LAME

Especially how they hinted that
She has large tits and hides them.

This game has my favorite music of any game. Note: i hated hated hated mass destruction.

Darkman M

vas_a_morir said:
Especially how they hinted that
She has large tits and hides them.

This game has my favorite music of any game. Note: i hated hated hated mass destruction.

During the second cycle play through i hear if you get her in a serious relationship she will wear different clothing during the xmas get together.

I am in the last month and I must say I loved the characters, storyline and events. The overall pacing of the game was pretty bad though, especially in the last few months.

I would have also enjoyed longer dungeons or something, since it seemed like 3/4 of my time was spent doing social stuff with 1/4 spent dungeon crawling.

Fuck you game! Mind charge + Megidolaeon = everyone survives except for MC who was guarding?!
Second time in a row, I bring the boss down to it's knees and then this happens.

Tamanon

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Fuck you game! Mind charge + Megidolaeon = everyone survives except for MC who was guarding?!
Second time in a row, I bring the boss down to it's knees and then this happens.

I'm thinking.....you might want to check what armor you're wearing. Or if your persona has low endurance.

Ourobolus

Banned
Regarding the True Ending, are there indicators in the game that lead you along that path? As in, if you actually pay attention, can you get the ending w/o a guide?

Wait so how many endings are there? I just beat it and
didn't fight the giant Eye boss or Izanami. (I was spoiled to them via Youtube) So I take it killing Namatame leads to the bad ending, letting him live gets you the true ending and hesitating on what's right or wrong gives you my very unresolved neutral ending. So are there just the three endings then?

Ugh. I can't believe I have to play it all over again for the other endings. Well at least I'll have second cycle data carried over to make things easier. :/

Top Bottom