• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
Is there a new game plus, and what does it entail?

Yes there is. You carry over your stats, your compendium, your money and the items Margaret gives you. Also some of the S. Links have added events/discussions. Useful if you get the bad ending especially.

Ok so I'm a Persona whore from way back when but I seem to be running into a problem with this game. Since so many S.Links are
Stat
dependent, I'm having a tough time deciding whether its better to spend the time upping my stats so I can open new S.Links
Moon, Devil etc
or is better to focus on the S.Links I have now, I'm at the beginning of June btw.

Confessing that I need help with an RPG, moreover a SMT RPG is like giving birth to me so any non spoiler filled advice would be fantastico!

Tamanon

Banned
I find it's better to balance them. You can work on stats at night. There's no real cut-and-dry way of doing things. It's more varied now.

Tetsuo9

Ourobolus said:
Regarding the True Ending, are there indicators in the game that lead you along that path? As in, if you actually pay attention, can you get the ending w/o a guide?
I tried 2 times before reading a guide, in the second time I was very close. It's not because it's that hard it's because every time you try you have to
skip 10 or so minutes of storyline with triangle pressed

Ourobolus

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
Ok so I'm a Persona whore from way back when but I seem to be running into a problem with this game. Since so many S.Links are
Stat
dependent, I'm having a tough time deciding whether its better to spend the time upping my stats so I can open new S.Links
Moon, Devil etc
or is better to focus on the S.Links I have now, I'm at the beginning of June btw.

Confessing that I need help with an RPG, moreover a SMT RPG is like giving birth to me so any non spoiler filled advice would be fantastico!

It's better to open an S.Link earlier than later. There will be some days were the ones you want to work on are unavailable, so it's to your benefit to just go ahead and use the time to add a level to the other ones.

Stats will come. Night time, plus a few days where you make some sacrifices with S.Links.

Tenks

I'm at:
Rescued Kanji and Rise was just kidnapped

I'm going to give P4 high scores - very high scores - but I still don't feel for these characters like I did for the ones in P3. Maybe that'll change since during the middle portion of P3 there was very little story and I could give less than two shits about them. At the end of P3 I just kind of sat there staring at the screen for like 5 minutes in shock. Hopefully I'll feel the same about P4.

I also preferred Yukari and Mitsuru to the tag team of Chie and Yukiko. I found the P3 supporting females much more entertaining
If Yukiko busts out into a laughing fit again over nothing I'm going to dropkick her cunt
. I also got my first s.rank10 (Strength) and was kind of let down with how it progressed. Was kind of cheesey and very unfulfilling in the end. I liked the athlete slink in P3 more.

Yaweee

diablopanqueque said:
Wait so how many endings are there? I just beat it and
didn't fight the giant Eye boss or Izanami. (I was spoiled to them via Youtube) So I take it killing Namatame leads to the bad ending, letting him live gets you the true ending and hesitating on what's right or wrong gives you my very unresolved neutral ending. So are there just the three endings then?

Ugh. I can't believe I have to play it all over again for the other endings. Well at least I'll have second cycle data carried over to make things easier. :/

You don't have to replay the game. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SAVE AFTER ANY DECISIONS THAT GET YOU ANYTHING BUT THE 'TRUE' ENDING'.

However, if you save your 'Game Complete' data over your main file, you're fucked. I think Atlus is a bunch of dumb asses for even having that option on the bad endings, as its just begging for people to screw themselves over.

There are
four
endings.

Tenks said:
I'm at:
Rescued Kanji and Rise was just kidnapped

You're going through the slowest paced and least eventful part of the game right now. It gets much, much, much better.

Yaweee said:
You don't have to replay the game. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SAVE AFTER ANY DECISIONS THAT GET YOU ANYTHING BUT THE 'TRUE' ENDING'.

However, if you save your 'Game Complete' data over your main file, you're fucked. I think Atlus is a bunch of dumb asses for even having that option on the bad endings, as its just begging for people to screw themselves over.

There are
four
endings.

Whoops. Already saved over it. Oh well, I was gonna go ahead and aim for the bad ending this time anyway since I think I got the "neutral" ending. Then after that I'll go for a true ending playthrough. I have time to kill and I only maxed out one S. Link (devil) for my first playthrough anyway so I have a lot left to do.

What's the
fourth ending though? I guess it would be better to specifically ask how you "activate" each ending.

"I do not comprehend."

Deliberate DDS reference ?

lol that's exactly what I thought to. I miss the DDS cast. :(

A bit off topic:

First, is SMT: Devil Summoner any good. Saw it in store for $49.99 today.
Also, is $79.99 too much for a copy of Persona 2? I saw this in the same store.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DoctorWho said:
A bit off topic:

You can get Devil Summoner for like... $10 new now.

Tenks

DoctorWho said:
A bit off topic:

I can't answer #2
I got mine for $40 off the reprint!
but SMT Devil Summoner is the weakest in the SMT franchise. You are much better off spending $50 elsewhere and I'm surprised it still carries that price tag. Last time I saw it at Meijer it was $25 on clearance
and I still didn't buy it

DoctorWho said:
A bit off topic:

1. No, it's complete rubbish. Boring "detective" gameplay and an overly simplistic battle system holds it back. I wouldn't even get it for the story. The 2nd one looks a bit more promising though (at least gameplay wise).

2. That's overpriced. I believe Amazon has a reprint for 30-40. I should sell my copy...the story was great but the gameplay is too dated for me to replay it.

Sallokin

DoctorWho said:
Really? I'm glad I didn't bite.

It's absolutely worth 10 bucks though. It's not the best SMT game, but it's not awful either.

EDIT: Diablo obviously disagrees with me lol.

Persona 2 is currently 60+ bucks on Amazon.

Tetsuo9

Yaweee said:

There are
four
endings.

You're going through the slowest paced and least eventful part of the game right now. It gets much, much, much better.
Wow I didn't even thougth that someone could save your new game data on the same save file of your game. I didn't knew that there were multiple endings when I got to that point but I instantly saved in a new file.

Kagari said:
You can get Devil Summoner for like... $10 new now.

And it really isn't so bad, I mean sure it may not be fantastic but its not Star Ocean 3. At the same time, playing DS 1 in preparation for DS 2 is a good idea....

YOU HEAR ME ATLUS!!!??!

Kevtones

In June still, it baffles me how some of you've gotten through already :lol

I prefer the characters of this game because for the most part, the writing is far superior. Plus, the dynamic of home life vs. school life is really well established and I'm genuinely intrigued by the Nanako (Nomadic child I swear to god) and the Dojima. The question answers are far better this time around too.

Also, I need help boosting my understanding, where can I do this???

Tetsuo9 said:
Question 1: Option 3
Question 2: Option 1
Question 3: Option 3
Question 4: Option 2
Question 5: Option 3
Question 6: Option 2

Later there are more events and choices that will give you the bad ending, so save often and watch out.
Thank you very much for the answers and heads up! =)

Kevtones

Holy Order Sol said:
"I do not comprehend." :lol

Deliberate DDS reference ?

:lol Awesome. It bugged the shit out of me when he said that DDS.

Also, I love the follow up attack by Chie called 'Galactic Punt' :lol Very Dragon Warrior style animation to go along with it :D

firex

Kevtones said:
In June still, it baffles me how some of you've gotten through already :lol

I prefer the characters of this game because for the most part, the writing is far superior. Plus, the dynamic of home life vs. school life is really well established and I'm genuinely intrigued by the Nanako (Nomadic child I swear to god) and the Dojima. The question answers are far better this time around too.

Also, I need help boosting my understanding, where can I do this???
The best way to boost understanding daytime is either the rainy day beef bowl challenge (save at shopping district south first, and reset if you don't get understanding as a boost) or day care after school, and origami/reading the timid teacher series at night in your room.

I made it to the 5th dungeon and the event leading up to it pretty much confirmed my suspicions when I heard
Naoto's
voice actor more in depth. but man, this dungeon seems way tougher than the others so far. Maybe it's just these early fights, but almost every enemy reflects at least two types of damage, or drains one, and they have very few weaknesses if any. I just hope the bosses aren't too hard, so I can skip through most of the dungeon and get to the end. I'm just glad I have a Black Frost now since that persona seems pretty overpowered.

and I also have a ton of social links near maxed. I already maxed out Chie and Yukiko's links, and the family links, and Rise and Yosuke are both at like rank 8 or 9. I like the upgraded personas for your party members this time around, too. They're actually different compared to P3.

Tamanon

Banned
I assume they gave Teddie and Yukiko's personas weaknesses even in the advanced form so people wouldn't just pigenhole those 2 into every party with their powerful magic and healing spells.

Yaweee

firex said:
I made it to the 5th dungeon and the event leading up to it pretty much confirmed my suspicions when I heard
Naoto's
voice actor more in depth. but man, this dungeon seems way tougher than the others so far. Maybe it's just these early fights, but almost every enemy reflects at least two types of damage, or drains one, and they have very few weaknesses if any. I just hope the bosses aren't too hard, so I can skip through most of the dungeon and get to the end. I'm just glad I have a Black Frost now since that persona seems pretty overpowered.

The fifth dungeon is interesting; the random encounters are hard (with regards to how their attacks and weaknesses are designed), but the bosses aren't. However, that is the point in the game where the boss' HP assumes -dyne levels of damage output. Even if you don't die, damn, those fights are looooong.

Kevtones

firex said:
The best way to boost understanding daytime is either the rainy day beef bowl challenge (save at shopping district south first, and reset if you don't get understanding as a boost) or day care after school, and origami/reading the timid teacher series at night in your room./QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks! I kinda forgot about the whole restaurant deal to boost stats (that I used heavily in P3). Not sure why but all the other ways to boost distracted me from it. Can't believe I forgot :p. Thanks again :)

Tokubetsu

I know I'm still extremely early in the game but is it just me or does the general atmosphere/tone of this game seem lighter than P3?

MoogPaul

Atlus needs to learn from Nippon Ichi and give me some SMT PSX on the PSP. A ground up Persona PSP would be preferred, but a port would be satisfactory.

2DMention said:
Would this be considered a roguelike?
eh, I guess. P3 is more rougelike than P4 though.

Tetsuo9

RyoHazuki said:
Anyone know when I can start hanging out with
Kanji?
I'm already in the 4th dungeon.
Any day that you see kanji in Practice building 1st floor, go to classrom 2nd floor and talk to a girl that will talk about some things about kanji, then go talk to him

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The shadow
teddie
fight took me forever. I was immune to all of his attacks, but he was just so hard to chip away at. Fought him for 20 min.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
I know others have said this already but dear god the music in dungeon 3 is horrible. I was just telling myself I have to start playing with the actual in game sounds again and then that shows up. I realize it fits the atmosphere but ugh i hate those club type techno beats.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really miss Mass Destruction. The way it was structured seemed so much more...repeatable to me. The way Reach Out for the Truth opens kinds of grates on me with the vocals starting every battle. I dunno. I love the jazzy feel more than the jpop/rock thing.

Does anyone how many more dungeons there are after you complete
Naoto's
dungeon?

I DON'T WANT IT TO END.

The game went by far too fast.

frostythecat said:
Does anyone how many more dungeons there are after you complete
Naoto's
dungeon?

I DON'T WANT IT TO END.

The game went by far too fast.

Fastest 80 hours I've ever spent. And somehow, I still made out like a bandit on my finals.

Dammit, I hate spoiler tags, but: (Teddie spoiler)

Dude, Bishounen Teddie freaks me right the fuck out. A person shouldn't sound like that. And act like that. Like, when he talks about playing with Nana-chan all the time, it makes sense if you think of him as a cuddly mascot, but as a Frenchy blouse-wearing shemale, it seems rather odd think for a teenager to say.

Teddie is an odd character for me. I really liked him in the beginning. Then he got creepier as time went on. Also, the sparkles annoy the hell out of me.

FredFish

Tokubetsu said:
"Deli-bear-ating" :lol . As a huge fan of all things cute and a massive cat lover, Teddie makes my face hurt =[

The "squished" Teddie just after the shadow Rise fight is one of the most bizarrely endearing things I've ever seen. His "human" construct is too slick by half though sadly

iDoubleSpy said:
I know someone posted tips for beating Shadow Kanji, but can anyone give me some tips without me searching?

I'm fighting him right now

Focus on beating Nice Guy right away. Use Rakunda to make it go faster. Don't worry about Tough Guy at all, since you just need to beat Shadow Kanji to win. Use Rakunda on him, and if you have the skill that lowers the opponent's hit/evasion rate, use that. Whenever he charges up, have the main character guard, since the attack can potentially kill you if they all hit.

That's about how I did it. I was at Level 25 or so at the time.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Focus on beating Nice Guy right away. Use Rakunda to make it go faster. Don't worry about Tough Guy at all, since you just need to beat Shadow Kanji to win. Use Rakunda on him, and if you have the skill that lowers the opponent's hit/evasion rate, use that. Whenever he charges up, have the main character guard, since the attack can potentially kill you if they all hit.

That's about how I did it. I was at Level 25 or so at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkulyWMNYbg

Success! Thank you

Tamanon

Banned
FredFish said:
The "squished" Teddie just after the shadow Rise fight is one of the most bizarrely endearing things I've ever seen. His "human" construct is too slick by half though sadly

I loved that part of the character. The voice actor did great work imitating a
crushed flat Teddie
:lol

Top Bottom