• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Guled

dam, after playing for like 1.5 hours, a lone enemy comes and ends up killing my MC with Last Resort :( I really hate that attack. Other then that I really like the game, better then P3 in my eyes. But even though P4 has better graphics, P3 did have a better color pallet

Alts

5/22
Just beat
Shadow Kanji
at Level 21 (1 day through the dungeon). Feels great to really earn those victories.

Tetsuo9 said:
3 moar :)

Awesome, I can't believe there are that many more. I was getting kinda sad/depressed as I thought the game was coming to an end soon. The last time I had this feeling was the end of Baten Kaitos: Origins, except that one was worse as I knew that another one was probably not going to be made.

Tetsuo9

frostythecat said:
Awesome, I can't believe there are that many more. I was getting kinda sad/depressed as I thought the game was coming to an end soon. The last time I had this feeling was the end of Baten Kaitos: Origins, except that one was worse as I knew that another one was probably not going to be made.
Cheer up, a road of awesome lies ahead :D.

I just finished the game completely, I love the game. Now i'm going to take a persona break but i'm definitely playing a new game+.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So I join the music club only to encounter a character so annoying that I decided to reset. Then I instead joined the drama club only to encounter a character voiced by the person who did Gaz from Invader Zim. I think the choice is obvious.

Can anyone tell me how to fuse/attain Pabilsag? At least, I think that's spelled correctly...anyway, he's of the Emperor Arcana, and I need him to get
Trumpeter

Oh, and endgame soilers:

I only knew it was Adachi because I accidentally looked at his page in the art book :lol Still, I'm glad I'm slow and only realized it a few scenes beforehand. Right now I'm tackling his dungeon...yay!

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
grandjedi6 said:
So I join the music club only to encounter a character so annoying that I decided to reset. Then I instead joined the drama club only to encounter a character voiced by the person who did Gaz from Invader Zim. I think the choice is obvious.
WHAT!!??
The music girl is so awesome. I just got rank 9 and formed a serious relationship ;3 She is so kawaiiii!!

Tendo

Never played a persona or smt game before but the hype and retronauts sold me on it and picked it up today. The girl working at EB said I really need the guide as the game is confusing. Should I snag it? For the record she is a friend of mine and wasn't harking for a sale. she's playing it right now as well.

I don't need to collect everything or do EVERYTHING. Should I just go through it and experiance it as it happens?

Tamanon

Banned
For someone new to Persona, the guide might be more useful, since the boss fights can get rather tricky. Plus all the weird names for stuff. Not to mention later on if need be you can hock it on ebay or something for a higher price once it goes out of print.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tendo said:
Never played a persona or smt game before but the hype and retronauts sold me on it and picked it up today. The girl working at EB said I really need the guide as the game is confusing. Should I snag it? For the record she is a friend of mine and wasn't harking for a sale. she's playing it right now as well.

I don't need to collect everything or do EVERYTHING. Should I just go through it and experiance it as it happens?

If you don't need to collect everything or do everything, then no you don't need the guide. I'd still recommend it though, because DoubleJumpBooks makes really great guides, so it's more than worth it if you're the collector type.

Tetsuo9

The guide is good from what I heard but there's no need for that, if you have questions just ask the manual+gfaq+gaf.

You are good to go with this game because you choose what to do.

FredFish

Tendo said:

Just play it. Frankly if you have the guide it may well ruin the experience. I always do an "untainted" run first time through then graze gamefaqs to get an idea of what I missed, play through again tidying up a bit and THEN read a full walk-through. I really don't understand how some people slavishly follow a guide to do 100% on their first play but then again I thought Romancing Saga was a great game so... :D

Tendo

Yeah you guys have cured my fears. Because of the choose your own adventure style I wanted to do my own thing and I KNOW if i had the guide I'd never make a choice without consulting it first. She made it sound like I'd miss huge story elements and make the game near unplayable. Time to dive in to this beast!

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
If you are like me and don't consider boss strategies spoilers then you will LOVE the guide. It has a day planner at the beginning of each month that lists each social link that is available for each day and other events and what answers to pick etc so you gain maximum bonus for everything. Plus the enemy weakness charts and boss strategies and what to do for each quest etc makes it invaluable.

DiddyBop

so i think im at the firstr dungeon,im trying to rescue the inn owner's daughter(sorry i cant keep up with all these japanese names lol) anyways,i reach the 5th floor and anytime i try to make progress the screen turns white and im transported to a diferent part of the floor. do i have to wait until its foggy before i rescue her? like can i only do rescues on foggy days? kinda like events only happen on full moons in p3?

Volcynika

DiddyBop said:
so i think im at the firstr dungeon,im trying to rescue the inn owner's daughter(sorry i cant keep up with all these japanese names lol) anyways,i reach the 5th floor and anytime i try to make progress the screen turns white and im transported to a diferent part of the floor. do i have to wait until its foggy before i rescue her? like can i only do rescues on foggy days? kinda like events only happen on full moons in p3?

That's the gimmick of that floor.

Head backwards after warping to reach a door

DiddyBop

so i can do the rescue before the next foggy day? i just got to solve that puzzle and i will be able to rescue her? and there is also a locked door on that same floor,whats that about?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Tendo said:
Yeah you guys have cured my fears. Because of the choose your own adventure style I wanted to do my own thing and I KNOW if i had the guide I'd never make a choice without consulting it first. She made it sound like I'd miss huge story elements and make the game near unplayable. Time to dive in to this beast!

Desperately flailing about and dying ignominiously is the best part of your first Megaten experience. Try to savor it.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
dragonlife29 said:
Can anyone tell me how to fuse/attain Pabilsag? At least, I think that's spelled correctly...anyway, he's of the Emperor Arcana, and I need him to get
Trumpeter

Oh, and endgame soilers:

I only knew it was Adachi because I accidentally looked at his page in the art book :lol Still, I'm glad I'm slow and only realized it a few scenes beforehand. Right now I'm tackling his dungeon...yay!
Can we mark boss spoilers and story spoilers separate in this thread?? I just read that and spoiled it although im really not annoyed at all that i know who the killer is now.

Tamanon

Banned
NoitoraJirugajr said:
Can we mark boss spoilers and story spoilers separate in this thread?? I just read that and spoiled it although im really not annoyed at all that i know who the killer is now.

To be fair, he does say "endgame spoilers" :p

Tetsuo9

NoitoraJirugajr said:
but men it clearly says endgame spoilers :(. Sorry to heard that.

Volcynika

Quick question, I'll tag it since it's easy to decipher (question for those that completed the game):

Is there any part of the game where you HAVE to use certain members, or you're restricted from using certain people? Just tell me yes or no.

Finally cleared Dungeon 3. What an intense boss fight. I just barely won in the end.

Really crazy dungeon, with everything that happens with Teddie at the end. But really good. Definitely the craziest boss fights yet.

Joule

About Teddie
I wonder if I should of seen it coming that when he said he wasn't hollow anymore a bishonen pops out.

Tamanon

Banned
Volcynika said:
Quick question, I'll tag it since it's easy to decipher (question for those that completed the game):

Is there any part of the game where you HAVE to use certain members, or you're restricted from using certain people? Just tell me yes or no.

Nope. It's not like P3 in that way.

Tamanon

Banned
I gotta admit, one of the best uses of Persona 3's music in this game is during the school trip in September:
Playing the creepy evil guy music while Teddie plots from the shadows menacingly
:lol

Volcynika

Fiiiiiiiiiinally just beat
Shadow Teddie.
What a long fight.

He was easier since I leveled up a bit to withstand his attacks, though I had to use an Amrita Soda since he dizzied 2 people before his Nihil Hand attack or whatever.

daegan

those of you who've finished:

Are the choices I'm going to have to make to get the True Ending obvious? I've only just done the fight with
Shadow Teddie
so keep it clean :D

Man, the July cutscene after Dungeon 3. That was crazy. (And long...that must have been at least 45 minutes long)

Teddie's new body...I died.:lol

Plot twists are crazy, too. I kind of had suspicions about Morooka, and I certainly didn't expect him to die so suddenly. Now the mystery has gotten a lot deeper, and I can't wait to find out more. I'm loving Rise's development, too.

Question. People keep saying to start Kanji's Social Link you have to talk to some girl on the second floor, but I've checked a bunch of times and never found anyone talking about him. I see him on the 1st floor of the Practice Building sometimes, but no chance to start a Social Link.

So, is there something obvious I'm missing?

Volcynika said:
Fiiiiiiiiiinally just beat
Shadow Teddie.
What a long fight.

He was easier since I leveled up a bit to withstand his attacks, though I had to use an Amrita Soda since he dizzied 2 people before his Nihil Hand attack or whatever.

Having the Main Character
equip a Persona that nullified Ice attacks helped me a lot, even though he used Ice Break on me.

Tamanon

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Man, the July cutscene after Dungeon 3. That was crazy. (And long...that must have been at least 45 minutes long)

Teddie's new body...I died.:lol

Plot twists are crazy, too. I kind of had suspicions about Morooka, and I certainly didn't expect him to die so suddenly. Now the mystery has gotten a lot deeper, and I can't wait to find out more. I'm loving Rise's development, too.

Question. People keep saying to start Kanji's Social Link you have to talk to some girl on the second floor, but I've checked a bunch of times and never found anyone talking about him. I see him on the 1st floor of the Practice Building sometimes, but no chance to start a Social Link.

So, is there something obvious I'm missing?

Having the Main Character
equip a Persona that nullified Ice attacks helped me a lot, even though he used Ice Break on me.

On the second floor, should be right near where the Sun girl stands, there'll be a girl standing there. She might not mention Kanji by name, but she'll mention somebody bullying kids. Then you go talk to Kanji and things'll begin.

2DMention

Banned
Just got to the part where you find out that
Kanji
is the next victim.

His
homosexual complex
is a first for video games, isn't it?

I'm getting to the point where I'm getting more social link and stat building options. It's hard to decide what to do, so I just try a little of everything to read the text.

Just play it. Frankly if you have the guide it may well ruin the experience. I always do an "untainted" run first time through then graze gamefaqs to get an idea of what I missed, play through again tidying up a bit and THEN read a full walk-through. I really don't understand how some people slavishly follow a guide to do 100% on their first play but then again I thought Romancing Saga was a great game so...

I'm that way too. First time through I just do what seems fun and try to experience the story. The only time I look at the guide is for help with bosses.

Is it worth it to do the basketball or soccer social links? I was never much for using physical attacks in P3. I'm more of a spell guy. There's not too many enemies that have phys. attacks for weaknesses. I also don't like the idea of sacrificing HP for damage. SOmething like that only belongs in beat em ups when you hit jump + attack.

Tamanon

Banned
Strength is more varied in this game. It's not all Phys-only personas. Plus the Strength S. Link builds your diligence and gives you a shot at several books you can't find anywhere else to boost your stats.

Plus the physical attacks are actually much better in this game since they're not split into 3 types.

Acid08

Banned
Ps3 deleted my 20 hour save. Not sure if I want to start again. I'm so fucking pissed.

Edit: I guess I'm going to start over. I kinda want to start on beginner though so that I can get through my previous parts faster. But then again Im afraid the game will get boring without challenge. I'm seriously so fucking angry. Anyone know how much difference there is between difficulties?

2DMention said:
Is it worth it to do the basketball or soccer social links? I was never much for using physical attacks in P3. I'm more of a spell guy. There's not too many enemies that have phys. attacks for weaknesses. I also don't like the idea of sacrificing HP for damage. SOmething like that only belongs in beat em ups when you hit jump + attack.

The Basketball Social Link is highly enjoyable, in my opinion, regardless of if you plan to use Strength persona.

Also, you need to do one of them in order to open up the Moon Social Link.

Yaweee

daegan said:
those of you who've finished:

Are the choices I'm going to have to make to get the True Ending obvious? I've only just done the fight with
Shadow Teddie
so keep it clean :D

The true ending is basically hidden in such a way that 90% of players would never find it and just assume that their current ending is all that there is. Fortunately, as long as you don't save your New Game+ data over your save, you can go back to a safe point and proceed differently, but, still, I don't like that the satisfying conclusion is hidden like that.

Acid08 said:
Ps3 deleted my 20 hour save. Not sure if I want to start again. I'm so fucking pissed.

Edit: I guess I'm going to start over. I kinda want to start on beginner though so that I can get through my previous parts faster. But then again Im afraid the game will get boring without challenge. I'm seriously so fucking angry. Anyone know how much difference there is between difficulties?

Normal <-> Easy, no differences except the 10 continues that you get for the entire 80 hour game. Good luck pacing their usage.

Normal <-> Expert, I think only 50% extra damage. Not positive, though; all of the other PS2 SMT games have had various other factors (like everything costs extra, or in the case of P3, stacking damage multipliers for knocked down and other status ailments), but P4 is less elaborate in that regard.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Acid08 said:
I'll just do it on normal then.

Are there any other easy ways to raise courage besides eating from the fridge?
-Eating at Aiya's (75% chance, restart if it doens't happen I suppose).
-read the courage books (A great man, etc.)

Tamanon

Banned
Also working at the hospital at night, beating the optional bosses and such. Courage is pretty easy to raise, usually my second stat after Expression.

Acid08

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
-Eating at Aiya's (75% chance, restart if it doens't happen I suppose).
-read the courage books (A great man, etc.)
Where are the courage books? Sorry I was 20 hours in at the Kanji dungeon and my fucking save was deleted. I'm trying to get all my info straight so I can go through the already played parts faster.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before too but can someone tell me the dates when the ending-changing decisions take place so i can save before it ?

the way im playing i only save once for every few days, im currently in the middle of October, i'm pretty sure there aint gonna be any choices like that any time soon, but i'd still like to know in advance since i've heard there's 3 endings in this game.

Blackjack

Tamanon said:
Also working at the hospital at night, beating the optional bosses and such. Courage is pretty easy to raise, usually my second stat after Expression.
Expression was always my lowest stat. And the last one to max out (in December, at that)

chandoog said:
hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before too but can someone tell me the dates when the ending-changing decisions take place so i can save before it ?

the way im playing i only save once for every few days, im currently in the middle of October, i'm pretty sure there aint gonna be any choices like that any time soon, but i'd still like to know in advance since i've heard there's 3 endings in this game.
Save on December 2.

Tamanon

Banned
Blackjack said:
Expression was always my lowest stat. And the last one to max out (in December, at that)

Save on December 2.

Wait...if you maxed out in December, does that mean that
You never maxed out Nanako's S. Link?

Top Bottom