• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the family s.links are great, for once they managed to make a little kid not annoying. Nanako is adorable.

Durante, I will fucking love you if you help this Kanji-obsessed son of a bitch with some Kanji .gif love...it would help with the bitter sting of
not being able to get in an intimate relationship with him :(

I like Tamanon's .gif, so I was thinking maybe his intro stuff :p Maybe his summoning animation for
Rokuten Maoh
--you know, when his face appears.

Do you find them or make them? If you make them, I don't want to bother you; if you found them, can you show them to me?

Oh, does anyone else really like "A New World Fool"? It's such an interesting piece! :D It plays
On the Heaven boss fight and Magatsu Inaba
. I love it. "The Almighty" is awesome, too! It's the final battle theme.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Metroidvania said:
Yeah, but only on specific nights....IIRC, it takes a while from establishment to be given the chance to rank up.
oh good. Because Nanako was the first time I spent an event with someone (! over their heads) and they didn't rank up. I thought I wasted an evening.

grandjedi6 said:
oh good. Because Nanako was the first time I spent an event with someone (! over their heads) and they didn't rank up. I thought I wasted an evening.
Naw, that just means you didn't have enough S-link experience with them.
Try to have a persona of their Arcana to speed the process up.

Guled

I still don't get the triangle fusion thing. The SG tells me to fuse Angle, Ukobach, and slime to get archangel but instead I get something else? How do the levels come into play?

Tetsuo9

Dragonlife, as a fellow kanji lover I have to tell you that you should not name the antagonists in that tricky spoiler :lol.

grandjedi6 said:

It seems to happen more often when you get further up the ranks, at least as far as I can tell.

Tamanon

Banned
It also happens more often if you don't pick the optimal answer, or if you don't have a persona of the arcana type. Some just take a while to build up, especially the night-time ones.

crowphoenix said:
Why did I read your whole post, dragonlife? :lol Not that the last set surprises me.
Goddammit...sorry ='(

Tetsuo9 said:
Dragonlife, as a fellow kanji lover I have to tell you that you should not name the antagonists in that tricky spoiler :lol.
Yeah, I edited it :(

Yaweee

Gamerankings has enough reviews up to call this the 43rd highest rated game of all time. However, the 93 +/- 1 is so tight that it's likely to move each time a review comes in. Also, 4th highest rated game of the year, behind GTA4, BioshockPS3, and LBP.

The biggest problem I have with the (endgame spoilerz)

Adachi was sold to us through the game as this super well rounded, sometimes clumsy, but actually he was sort of a charismatic guy. He doesn't fit the profile of a serial killer, and especially since his motives for doing what he did are so poorly explained or justified ("Lolz, I was bored."). I dunno. I guess "lame" is the word I'd use. However, I hear the true ending kinda makes thinks a bit more interesting.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
crowphoenix said:
Naw, that just means you didn't have enough S-link experience with them.
Try to have a persona of their Arcana to speed the process up.
KuwabaraTheMan said:
It seems to happen more often when you get further up the ranks, at least as far as I can tell.
Tamanon said:
It also happens more often if you don't pick the optimal answer, or if you don't have a persona of the arcana type. Some just take a while to build up, especially the night-time ones.
urrk, so much to juggle. What is it now, 7 social links I'm trying to do at once? And didn't someone say Justice and Hiero are time limited? (please say no)

btw, what knowledge ranking do you need to get a good score on the midterms? I'm pretty sure I answered all the questions right but I wasn't able to get the ranking above 2 before time was up.

Tamanon

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
urrk, so much to juggle. What is it now, 7 social links I'm trying to do at once? And didn't someone say Judgement and Hiero are time limited? (please say no)

btw, what knowledge ranking do you need to get a good score on the midterms? I'm pretty sure I answered all the questions right but I wasn't able to get the ranking above 2 before time was up.

I'm pretty sure you need a 3 knowledge to get the high score on the 1st exam. And Justice and Heiro are time-limited, but lots of time. Just do them whenever they pop up and you'll be just fine. I maxed them out in early September.

Tetsuo9

vas_a_morir said:
The biggest problem I have with the (endgame spoilerz)

Adachi was sold to us through the game as this super well rounded, sometimes clumsy, but actually he was sort of a charismatic guy. He doesn't fit the profile of a serial killer, and especially since his motives for doing what he did are so poorly explained or justified ("Lolz, I was bored."). I dunno. I guess "lame" is the word I'd use. However, I hear the true ending kinda makes thinks a bit more interesting.
Ending spoilers
But in fact he did have a grudge against society because of being canned in that town for a "little mistake" and he also found people and socieaty fake, etc. And finally, as he explains, he really didn't do too many things as the killer, he basically conspired to make things happen.

dragonlife29 said:
Goddammit...sorry ='(
It wasn't that bad of a spoiler. There's still a lot of gray in it. I was more chuckling at my inability not to highlight spoiler tags unless I'm thinking about it.

grandjedi6 said:
urrk, so much to juggle. What is it now, 7 social links I'm trying to do at once? And didn't someone say Justice and Hiero are time limited? (please say no)

There are limited in the sense that they are only offered every so often and you need certain skills leveled up, but they aren't in the sense that you might do one for, say, Chie, when those are available.

Blackjack

crowphoenix said:
There are limited in the sense that they are only offered every so often and you need certain skills leveled up, but they aren't in the sense that you might do one for, say, Chie, when those are available.
Also, neither can be worked on after early November

Blackjack said:
Also, neither can be worked on after early November
Thanks for that. I need to get on them. Both are at
about 5 in early august. I still need to raise those stats a bit.
Can I make it?

Just started Dungeon 4.

I love the feel of this dungeon. The old school video game motif, the retro music, the way the doors open up. It's great.

Ledsen

Tokubetsu said:
I think someone might have brought it up earlier but I'm having trouble getting the drop on enemies. Any advice?

When you see them, run towards them full speed. Look at yours and the enemies shadows. When they're a couple of meters from you, strike. You should get them before they get you.

Volcynika

Discovered issue in 80GB PS3 models (the MGS 4 bundle)

You can't tell what floor you're on in dungeons, the lower left black bar has zero text on it.

D:

Tetsuo9

dragonlife29 said:
Oh, does anyone else really like "A New World Fool"? It's such an interesting piece! :D It plays
On the Heaven boss fight and Magatsu Inaba
. I love it. "The Almighty" is awesome, too! It's the final battle theme.

I think this songs are from P3 but I don't know if they are available on the bonus cd from persona 3. Anyway I liked this game ost a lot so I'm thinking in buying the japanese cd. Dungeon music was always awesome, but I really liked #7 dungeon
Magatsu Inaba
music, it made me feel so motivated to rush the dungeon for some reason :lol.

Guled

Guled said:
I still don't get the triangle fusion thing. The strategy guide tells me to fuse Angle, Ukobach, and Slime to get Archangel but instead I get something else? How do the levels of the persona come into play?
?

firex

My favorite track (so far anyway) is Heartbeat, Heartbreak, although I really like this game's music a lot overall. but I also liked P3's music a lot overall, and in general I just like Meguro soundtracks because he tries different stuff and it always seems to fit the games. He's kind of like the avant-garde Koichi Sugiyama or something, because his soundtracks really do sound like they're designed around the games and not just songs that he made on contract, and the director/programmers placed at their own whims.

The cast of this game is so much more enjoyable than P3's imo. For one, no Fuuka. Also, nobody's really snooty (yet. I still have to save
Naoto
) like Yukari and Mitsuru could be sometimes in P3, or dickish like Junpei is for about 1/3 of P3's story (granted, it's the first 1/3 where he's an annoying punk, so he becomes awesome later when the story gets better). About the only character that's gotten on my nerves sometimes is Yosuke, just because he won't stop bringing up Kanji's shadow revelation at the most assholish moments possible, and he's seriously creepy as hell about hitting on the girls. I'm also liking the lack of weird sci-fi stuff (so far) in the story. As much as I loved Aigis in P3 (easily my favorite character in the cast), stuff like Aigis and Mitsuru's magic motorcycle that worked in the dark hour felt weird in comparison to the fucked up general nature of P3's story.

FredFish said:
Fsck Ghastly Wail. I threw a controller.

I had died three times before to Mitsuo's levitating abortion because I had the wrong supporting character in the party for his random elemental attack. The evil fsck seemed to know I had changed my line-up each time after reloads and picked the attack my new member was weak to. Of course that led to a Crit and the follow up Megidola. Finally I got lucky and made it past his second, reconstructed "Character" when he hit everyone with Fear. I didn't have Yukiko in the party and I didn't have a Persona with Me Patra in reserve so...wheels came off, party jumped the shark, bedtime for bonzo etc. etc. etc.

Yeah it sucked but moments like that are one of the reasons I love SMT. I'll tweak my Persona bull-pen, maybe do some Fusions and get him later today. The victory will be that much sweeter for having been spanked so relentlessly

I feel for you. Because I had something similar happen to me.

I was overlevelled for the boss, but that stupid Ghastly Wail killed my MC (and him alone) leaving me to restart the fight 3 times.

Tamanon

Banned
The only snootiness I've encountered has been some S. Links. *cough*Ai*cough*

In Dungeon 6 now, the music is so dang relaxing, which is odd since it's definitely the dungeon that makes you want to finish it as quick as possible. Not just for the occupant, but also because the random battles are kicks in the teeth around every bend.:lol

Tetsuo9

Tamanon said:
The only snootiness I've encountered has been some S. Links. *cough*Ai*cough*

In Dungeon 6 now, the music is so dang relaxing, which is odd since it's definitely the dungeon that makes you want to finish it as quick as possible. Not just for the occupant, but also because the random battles are kicks in the teeth around every bend.:lol
That's true! :lol. I think it was one of the hardest iirc.

lunlunqq

Fucking fuck!!! My MC used a group instant kill spell on a group of enemies who reflected it back onto the MC himself and killed him!!! Game over and I lost hours of progress!!! Fuck !@#$%^%$#$%^&!!!!!!!!

Tamanon

Banned
lunlunqq said:
Fucking fuck!!! My MC used a group instant kill spell on a group of enemies who reflected it back onto the MC himself and killed him!!! Game over and I lost hours of progress!!! Fuck !@#$%^%$#$%^&!!!!!!!!

Rule of Hama/Mudo spells. Never use them if your persona isn't immune to them.

Unless you're absolutely sure they don't reflect or have a Karn spell up.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh, and on the subject of Hama/Mudo spells. Let me chime in with how happy I am that when a shadow is listed as weak to those spells, that means they'll hit almost 100% of the time. Nothing was more frustrating than playing P3 and watching MISS MISS MISS MISS against supposedly weak to mudo enemies.

Alts

Tamanon said:
Oh, and on the subject of Hama/Mudo spells. Let me chime in with how happy I am that when a shadow is listed as weak to those spells, that means they'll hit almost 100% of the time. Nothing was more frustrating than playing P3 and watching MISS MISS MISS MISS against supposedly weak to mudo enemies.

I have yet to miss with either Hama or Mudo( on enemies weak to the respective spell), and that fact is making me consider whether Hamaon/Mudoon and the hama/Mudo Boost skills are worth the space.

Erudite

Tamanon said:

Thanks for the heads up. I would've went with my strategy in P3, ignoring Mudo/Hama weaknesses, if I hadn't read this. More often than not, like you said, I would see MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS in P3.

Boulayman

Shadow kanji is WAY too hard

Level 21, checked this thread for tactics and that's pretty much exactly what I had been doing during my seven tries to beat him (focus on M. Nice guy use that defence lowering skill, use diamond shield item and guard my MC during most turns). I am always able to beat M. Nice guy but then Kanji keeps doing his $!*&/&/? swift strike attack at the end of every single turn and since yukiko's media can only cure 50 to 60 hp I end up using all my revival beads and I can't even get him lower than 75% of his insanely large health. What am I doing wrong ?

Alts

Boulayman said:
Shadow kanji is WAY too hard

Yukiko casts media every turn or agi when possible.
Yosuke casts dekaja on SK when applicable (should be every turn)
MC wears phys resistant persona. Casts rakunda on NG. Uses physical attacks on NG. Never block.
Chie uses Assault Dive on NG.

All but MC block turn AFTER SK uses power charge.

Once NG goes down, the battle is a breeze. Just block with Yosuke every third turn when SK HP < 50%.

Edit: Oops, it seems I only read half your post. I thought the part after killing NG was easy. I took out tough guy, and then moved to SK. Try using Tarunda or Sukunda to ease the pain a bit. Rampage should not be doing a lot of damage when he is debuffed.

Boulayman

The part after NG comes down (been using rakunda from MC and Agilao from Yukiko mostly + some physical attack from yousuke and Chie to bring NG down) is actually when I am having trouble, it might be because I am just too underleveled and weakned after bringing down NG
I forgot what dekaja is supposed to do and am not sure which persona are physically resistant

I have:

-Ippon datara (who seems to be weak as hell to physical attacks) lvl 18
-Xiezhai 17 (which is the one I have been using in this battle)
-Izanagi 14
-Mokoi 13
-Jack Frost 18

Oh, I just saw you edited your message, yeah that rampage has been very annoying for me since it adds up quite a lot of damage to the already damaging swift strike

Btw, I find Chie to be amazingly useless, will she become more useful later on ?

Tamanon

Banned
Boulayman said:
The part after NG comes down (been using rakunda from MC and Agilao from Yukiko mostly + some physical attack from yousuke and Chie to bring NG down) is actually when I am having trouble, it might be because I am just too underleveled and weakned after bringing down NG
I forgot what dekaja is supposed to do and am not sure which persona are physically resistant

I have:

-Izanagi 14
-Mokoi 13
-Jack Frost 18

Oh, I just saw you edited your message, yeah that rampage has been very annoying for me since it adds up quite a lot of damage to the already damaging swift strike

Btw, I find Chie to be amazingly useless, will she become more useful later on ?

Dekaja gets rid of that Heat Riser buff which makes Kanji beat the shit out of you. The way you tell if they're physically resistant is by looking at the Persona screen, if the far left box has a Str, it's strong against physical, if it has a Wk, then you're weak against it.

Also, you might want to see if your armor is still the original T-shirt or not.

Alts

Boulayman said:

I have:

-Izanagi 14
-Mokoi 13
-Jack Frost 18

1) Dekaja debuffs the enemy. Yosuke should have it. It removes the stat boosts from Heat Riser. This is crucial.

2)Fuse an Eligor or an Ara Mitama. Preferably latter due to rakunda.

3)I meant swift strike. Neither move should be doing major damage to you if the enemies are not buffed, or even better, stricken with Tarunda.

4) Chie was crucial in that battle for me. Assault Dive on NG, and Bufu on the others. I am not much further than you are, so I can't speak with any certainty about endgame.

Calen

Boulayman said:
I find that Chie does the most phys damage of any of my guys. Keep her shoes upgraded and I think she's great. It helps that she can buff her own attack, too.

Boulayman

Wow, thanks guys, a lot of answers :)

No, I did upgrade my armor so it's not that original t-shirt anymore :)

That's the thing, Chie doesn't have Assault dive yet (she's at level 20, assault dive is at 22)
Yeah, Yosuke does have that one, never used it before

I just went to the velvet room and noticed a persona that could be really nice for this battle by fusing Xiezhai and Jaco frost, it's called Rakhasha and I am at level 4 for that S link, it's says Str for the physical attack box (the one at the leftmost), unfortunately I am two levels too low so I think I'll just level up in floor 10 and gain two levels so I'll be able to get that persona and to get that Assault dive attack you guys speak so well of

I am at June 2nd so I still have two more days before it's too late I think

Edit: for her shoes I am using the ones I got from a tanaka sunday show. Didn't buy the punk shoes, they're expensive as hell

Alts

If you can kill NG without Dekaja, I am pretty confident that you can beat him now that you do know what Dekaja does. Rakshasa is a great persona. It too was a few levels too far when I fought SK so I used Eligor.

Completely unrelated to everything else, Spacy Girl might be the best random NPC ever.

Tetsuo9

Calen said:
I find that Chie does the most phys damage of any of my guys. Keep her shoes upgraded and I think she's great. It helps that she can buff her own attack, too.
Yes, she was a great damage dealer at the endgame using Agneyastra/god hand with power charge, and fully attack/hit buffed. It helps too that his 2nd persona doesn't have weakness.

Tokubetsu

How do books work? I just bought a great man or something and read it "thoroughly." Did I make the right choice? Will the book ever finish if i keep reading it on days?

ashism

Tokubetsu said:
How do books work? I just bought a great man or something and read it "thoroughly." Did I make the right choice? Will the book ever finish if i keep reading it on days?
I finished the book. It takes a few nights, but you do finish it. I read it thoroughly each time too.

What level knowledge do I have to have to ace the first test on 5/10?

Top Bottom