• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Shanks

I don't think I have ever laughed out loud to a game as much as I have this one.

"Please God, let it be a girl. Number....................1!"
"Number 1!?!"
"......I meant number 2!"

Mugen

Banned
I like how you can manually control you party members now, but can you switch persona for them too? I always felt that it was kinda pointless to have over 160 persona in P3, yet the main character is the only one who can use them. You can get do a lot of customization with the various skills, but all your party members are stuck with same crap skills.

Tetsuo9

Mugen said:
I like how you can manually control you party members now, but can you switch persona for them too? I always felt that it was kinda pointless to have over 160 persona in P3, yet the main character is the only one who can use them. You can get do a lot of customization with the various skills, but all your party members are stuck with same crap skills.
only the MC can change personas, but I tell you that secondary chars don't really get many crap skills.

Shouta

Speaking of undubs, there is one reason I'd play it myself and that's to compare the English script and the original Japanese script at the same time. Loved doing that with NIS SRPGs and Gust games. On the other hand, I don't know if want to go through P4 again without the max stats from my JP save. =(

Tokubetsu

Would any of you guys reccomend actually doing the optional boss fight for the 2nd dungeon? is the weapon I can get for yukiko worth it?

Heretic

Tokubetsu said:
Would any of you guys reccomend actually doing the optional boss fight for the 2nd dungeon? is the weapon I can get for yukiko worth it?

If I remember correctly
if you do ALL the optional bosses, you can fight someone in new game +

So do all the optional bosses =)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
A 4-element Neko Shogun makes every battle absolutely adorable.

Dungeon 4 is awesome.

Chie just asked to do a follow-up attack 4 times in a row. It felt good to finally be able to tell the poor girl "Yes, you can handle this one."

These are my observations involving the number 4. I was thinking of looking for a fourth, but that would just be creepy and obsessive.

Tokubetsu

4am and I just open a chest that decreases SP :lol . Scared the shit out of me with my headphones on.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK?!?!? I Pulled one of those special card shuffle things and changed one of my persona's abilities from media to dia. How the fuck is that fair?

Vorador

Banned
ixix said:
A 4-element Neko Shogun makes every battle absolutely adorable.

I should try to fuse one :lol.

I just finished the 4º dungeon. It left a bitter aftertaste, but the afterwards event was completely hilarious. :lol :lol :lol

firex

Y2Kev said:
MC is lvl 36. I just started dungeon 4 (which is hilarious). What's the level I should aim for to fight the boss?
41 worked for me, which didn't require doing anything more than clearing that dungeon normally, and I also had a Mediarama persona like Tamanon says. actually, here's basically what I used for the fight:
Primary: Black Frost with Marakukaja and Masukunda
Secondary: Undine with Mediarama and Me Patra
There's a point in the fight where the boss will change its element and attack with a specific one. In my case that wound up being ice, usually, so Undine was a big help. I used my standard Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko party and if he attacked anyone's weakness (though at this point Chie didn't have a weakness for me) I had them guard, and if not, I had them cast their strongest single target spell (mainly because I lucked out and got 2 Blizzard Vows and a Storm Vow in the dungeon). You can tell what element he will use based upon his Wall spell, but he won't use that element in the same turn that he casts a Wall spell. Similarly, at one point he will do Stagnant Air and then try different status effects (mainly fear, but he'll also use an attack that can dizzy someone, I think). If he hits anyone with fear, next turn he uses Ghastly Wail if you don't cure it before he acts, which is game over if the main is hit by fear. That's why you want 2 Me Patras (yourself and Yukiko) in case one of those two is feared and can't cure everyone.
There's another phase to this fight where he'll attack, attack + exhaust someone, or hit everyone for 200+ (without Rakukaja) which is where Mediarama can really help. You may want Nervundi, or you can buy a lot of Royal Jelly instead. I noticed my characters had a pretty good dodge rate on those attacks after a Sukunda. Basically in my case, if someone was hit with exhaustion, either they cured it their turn or someone else cured it before their turn (especially if it was Yuki who got hit, since she went last in my party).

yeah screw undubs, it's not like the japanese cast is any better, even with english actors spouting senpai back and forth

One thing that still annoys me is the difference betwen the ingame models and their 2D counterparts, Kanji and Dojima especially are way taller and beefier on 2D cutscenes.

So, it's around 3:30 in the morning...instead of sleeping, I went ahead and got the true ending :D

It was such a breeze! It's probably because I was overleveled--85 with everyone, to be exact. The ending was nice...I just wish Atlus would do away with silent protagonists and their nods and "Mm"s to make it even nicer. My heart strings were tugged when everyone was saying their goodbyes and stuff...and a little bit when the friends chased after the train =( The picture, too. I don't know about the rest of you, but I want more Inaba, Kanji, Yukiko, Yosuke, Chie, Naoto, Teddie, and Rise =(

My freakin' God...I love this game. Starting on Expert soon. Can't wait :D I kinda got attached with my set-in-stone team, so I'll probably stick to them next playthrough, too, since they were so damn effective (Kanji, Yukiko, Yosuke)...but I do want to try out the others to see their interactions on the battlefield since I never gave them a chance XD

Nich, I know you've already heard this from others, but I also really loved the dub in P4 (Meh...I liked P3's as well...>_>).

I love you guys at Atlus. Like, seriously

Prime crotch said:
yeah screw undubs, it's not like the japanese cast is any better, even with english actors spouting senpai back and forth

One thing that still annoys me is the difference betwen the ingame models and their 2D counterparts, Kanji and Dojima especially are way taller and beefier on 2D cutscenes.
Yeah, seriously. Kanji's a tiny bit passable...but WTF--Ryotaro is pretty much a different character :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Tokubetsu said:
EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK?!?!? I Pulled one of those special card shuffle things and changed one of my persona's abilities from media to dia. How the fuck is that fair?
There are some nice results but when the arcana goes bad it's REALLY bad. It already made my HP go down to 1 with every character while being expelled from the dungeon, and another time I was getting 1 yen after every battle. Media transforming into dia is reset worthy though. :lol

Tokubetsu said:

this is Persona dude

About the music (End of November spoilers, too) :

"Alone" really does a pretty good job at replicating the effect "Living With Determination" had in P3, except for the fact that it's not a remix of another track.

Tokubetsu said:
4am and I just open a chest that decreases SP :lol . Scared the shit out of me with my headphones on.

I had that (Luckily it was on a persona I was about to trash and it was only Maragi to Agi.)

On the flipside I had one of my main personas get their Mabufu upgraded to Bufula.

firex

Fuu said:
There are some nice results but when the arcana goes bad it's REALLY bad. It already made my HP go down to 1 with every character while being expelled from the dungeon, and another time I was getting 1 yen after every battle. Media transforming into dia is reset worthy though. :lol
That one's actually not too bad if you're talking about the upright Death card. It should also refill your SP, and you can use that break to heal up (probably with Yukiko since she has tons of SP) and then go back to the entrance and save, and then re-enter the dungeon at the floor you got booted out of. Although it'd suck to get it on your first battle, like the time I got reversed Judgment on my first battle in a dungeon.

I still don't really like the arcana cards that much, but they aren't too bad. I would've been fine with keeping P3's shuffle time (including conditions to activate it) and adding penalty cards, personally. Maybe even penalty cards in place of wand cards.

edit: Oh yeah, I had an actual question regarding the game if anyone can answer:
What days is Naoto available for her social link? Just got her to join the team.

Fuu

firex said:
That one's actually not too bad if you're talking about the upright Death card. It should also refill your SP, and you can use that break to heal up (probably with Yukiko since she has tons of SP) and then go back to the entrance and save, and then re-enter the dungeon at the floor you got booted out of. Although it'd suck to get it on your first battle, like the time I got reversed Judgment on my first battle in a dungeon.
Yup, it does fill the SP but I got it pretty early in the dungeon as you said and my SP was already quite filled up. It didn't mess up with my progress much anyway, I actually laugh when the game screws me over like that (unless it's insta-killing me after many hours without saving).

Tenks

Fuu said:
Yup, it does fill the SP but I got it pretty early in the dungeon as you said and my SP was already quite filled up. It didn't mess up with my progress much anyway, I actually laugh when the game screws me over like that (unless it's insta-killing me after many hours without saving).

Thats the Death arcana card in the upright. I usually look forward to that one especially if I get it on floor 6 or so when my SP is starting to dip.

All you really have to do is media a few times then jump back to where you started. Though the death card will also randomize the dungeon again.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy Order Sol said:

"Alone" really does a pretty good job at replicating the effect "Living With Determination" had in P3, except for the fact that it's not a remix of another track.

"Smile" is still easily the best track in the game, so relaxing for some reason. "Back side of the TV" is excellent as well.

Fuu

Tenks said:
Thats the Death arcana card in the upright. I usually look forward to that one especially if I get it on floor 6 or so when my SP is starting to dip.

All you really have to do is media a few times then jump back to where you started. Though the death card will also randomize the dungeon again.
I know, but it's still useless when you recently started exploring the dungeon and has both HP and SP almost at the max. I was just saying the effects I got that didn't work as advantages at the time, it's indeed good to get it when you're low on SP.

By the way, anyone knows what's the effect of the upside down Death arcana?

Volcynika

Fuu said:
I know, but it's still useless when you recently started exploring the dungeon and has both HP and SP almost at the max. I was just saying the effects I got that didn't work as advantages at the time, it's indeed good to get it when you're low on SP.

By the way, anyone knows what's the effect of the upside down Death arcana?

Your HP is filled to the max and your SP drops to 1.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Man, I died for like the third time or something on the first level due to me being impatient (becasue I've already died two times before!) and using the rush command throughout fights :/

Fuu

ItsInMyVeins said:
Man, I died for like the third time or something on the first level due to me being impatient (becasue I've already died two times before!) and using the rush command throughout fights :/
Yeah, shouldn't use rush when you're not highly sure already of what will go on in the fight. Are you dying on normal fights? Sometimes a group of enemies isn't worth the trouble, then just run away.

Vorador

Banned
Volcynika said:
I thought that only happened when your HP dropped to 1, not your SP. I haven't had an upside down Death yet, though.

I've had only one Death upside down. And it did all three, healing my HP, dropping my SP to 1 and kicking me out.

PD: I never use Rush. It's pointless since most enemies aren't especially vulnerable to physical attacks, and the fights usually end earlier using ma- skills.

Fuu

Vorador said:
PD: I never use Rush. It's pointless since most enemies aren't especially vulnerable to physical attacks, and the fights usually end earlier using ma- skills.
Me neither, at least never on the current dugeon. I only use it when I'm walking around an eariler area and most of the enemies go down with one or two physical hits, regardless of weaknesses.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Fuu said:
Yeah, shouldn't use rush when you're not highly sure already of what will go on in the fight. Are you dying on normal fights? Sometimes a group of enemies isn't worth the trouble, then just run away.

My MC didn't have much life left but I was sure he'd be able to take one more hit before he went down. The monster had almost nothing left, so all I needed to defeat it was one hit. Too bad that the enemy got the chance to attack first and did more damage than I expected :/

Vorador

Banned
Fuu said:
Forgot to mention that I said wow at the prices of the
healing Fox

That was a nasty surprise after P3. :lol

Also money is far more of an issuein P4 than in P3. In P3 at the end of the game i had amassed millions of yens, in P4 i've never had more than 100k

Tenks

Rushing was alot more important in P3 because you could conserve your allies SP by using it. If you didn't rush they would hardly ever use their standard attack and rushing was really the only control you could put on them. So if you encountered an enemy that was vulnerable to Garu you'd rush the MC/Mitsuru/Aki so then you'd arrive to Yukari to just Magaru (or in most cases tactic set to 'knock down' and she'd just garu one by one) the enemies without having Mitsu or Aki waste HP/SP accomplishing nothing.

Also it appears in P4 when you rush they don't focus on one enemy. They like to spread the love it seems.

Also money is far more of an issuein P4 than in P3. In P3 at the end of the game i had amassed millions of yens, in P4 i've never had more than 100k

I attribute this to the shuffle system. In P3 if you needed to upgrade your equipment you'd just select a few item cards from the shuffle and then you'd have just-as-good equipment to what you'd buy in the store. Obviously you don't have this luxury in P4.

Fuu

ItsInMyVeins said:
My MC didn't have much life left but I was sure he'd be able to take one more hit before he went down. The monster had almost nothing left, so all I needed to defeat it was one hit. Too bad that the enemy got the chance to attack first and did more damage than I expected :/
Man, that's bad, I know the feeling. After playing P3 for so long I hardly take any chances in P4, even if the enemy looks like he's about to go down I don't hold myself back too much because sometimes they can (and they will) still dodge my attack and make me die a cheap death or lose a bunch of hp at the very end of the battle.

Using a spell that will get the job done is still a better option than having to waste a lot of sp in healing after the enemy surprises you with some tricks.

Tenks said:
Rushing was alot more important in P3 because you could conserve your allies SP by using it. If you didn't rush they would hardly ever use their standard attack and rushing was really the only control you could put on them. So if you encountered an enemy that was vulnerable to Garu you'd rush the MC/Mitsuru/Aki so then you'd arrive to Yukari to just Magaru (or in most cases tactic set to 'knock down' and she'd just garu one by one) the enemies without having Mitsu or Aki waste HP/SP accomplishing nothing.

Also it appears in P4 when you rush they don't focus on one enemy. They like to spread the love it seems.
Good point about conserving sp in P3, it was indeed more important. I also noticed that they spread the attacks in rush now, I basically only use it when there's one enemy left so I can save some seconds.

Vorador said:
That was a nasty surprise after P3. :lol

The lack of a money card in the shuffle really hurts my pocket. :(

epmode

Holy Order Sol said:

The P3 song is SO MUCH BETTER. I was kind of sad when I heard the P4 equivalent.

edit: Oh god, listening to the P3 one now. It wins, it wins.

Vorador

Banned
Tenks said:
I attribute this to the shuffle system. In P3 if you needed to upgrade your equipment you'd just select a few item cards from the shuffle and then you'd have just-as-good equipment to what you'd buy in the store. Obviously you don't have this luxury in P4.

Also the money chests. I remember getting more than 500k in one lucky swoop. :lol

I get this game from amazon today. I wanna know how long does it take for them game to get into it? Is it one of those Jrpgs where its just a glorified tutorial the first 5 hours?

inner-G

Banned
Cat in the Hat said:
I get this game from amazon today. I wanna know how long does it take for them game to get into it? Is it one of those Jrpgs where its just a glorified tutorial the first 5 hours?
well, maybe the first 2 or 3 hours :D

Theres sooo much crap in the game though, you kind of need it. Especially if you didn't play P3.

TimeKillr

I played for about 20 hours now..

I adore it. I love the little tweaks to the combat system, such as

- If you hit a single enemy with a weakness with a ma- skill, you'll get a 1 More (had to hit everyone in P3)

- Hama and Mudo skills have a 100% rate when the enemy is weak against that element - I can't believe it wasn't that way in P3. The number of times where I missed with Mudo and Hama in P3 is astounding :(

- All-Out attacks have less restrictive conditions to be activated - in P3 many times I ended up with a battlefield that only had Down enemies and All-Out didn't activate due to some weird conditions

Although I don't like some other things

- Enemies with no weaknesses: there are a few in the first and second dungeons. Man I hate those - I love to optimize my fights and such quite a bit and those enemies (especially in the second dungeon - there was one that had a high encounter rate and it pissed me off) just throw me off balance.

- Down is weird now, with 2 states and no way to exploit it. In P3, you could mow through some enemies by abusing the Down status; just exploit a weakness once, don't follow up, heal. It'll get back up but lose a turn, then you can Down it again, etc. In P4, Dizzy eats up a single turn, but they get back up in their second and immediately attack. There's no way to make sure they stay down. It's not a huge deal but it would've helped in many battles :)

The cast is.. weird. I prefer the whole cast of P4 to P3, but some of the most standout characters in P3 (Mitsuru, for instance) are not really reflected into P4. Basically, the P4 cast is more even with no characters that stand out greatly. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't feel a connection as strong as I used to with the characters.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
About rushing, id say i rush whenever the enemies have no weakness that is easily exploitable and aren't resistant to physical that way my MC can gain back some SP for a few turns with invigorate and by the time i'm done i just throw on a media/mediarama and still have more sp than when i started the battle.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got my P4 and artbook yesterday. Amazed that Canada Post delivered on Sunday. The package arrived in town (Ottawa) on Tuesday, and I only got it Sunday. They must be really backed up.

Fuu

TimeKillr said:
- Hama and Mudo skills have a 100% rate when the enemy is weak against that element - I can't believe it wasn't that way in P3. The number of times where I missed with Mudo and Hama in P3 is astounding :(.
:0

I didn't know it now had a 100% chance for the weak to them enemies! I've been avoiding using hama and mudo because of how they worked in P3 but I'll make sure to spam both while figuring out weaknesses from now on.

Being able to get 1 more turn even if you miss other enemies or only one of them is weak to the element is so gratifying.

epmode said:
The P3 song is SO MUCH BETTER. I was kind of sad when I heard the P4 equivalent.

edit: Oh god, listening to the P3 one now. It wins, it wins.

I wish they went for another remix of I'll Face Myself in that fashion but Alone is still good.

Regarding Personas and ther abilities, I found that physical-based Personas/skills were much more useful in P4 than in any other SMT game for some reason.

Top Bottom