• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

vas_a_morir said:
Major Spoilers if you are interested in my theory. It will spoil, though.

Kanji is not gay, but he does have an effeminate side that he tries to hide by acting like a total badass and a prick all the time. So, knowing that he has this girly side to him, and after meeting Naota and being attracted to "him," he began to really doubt his sexuality. in reality, he was attracted to "him" because of the gentle feminine features she has. But, for all he knew, he was attracted to the gentle feminine features of a really girly boy. Think: Zapp Brannigan when Leela joined the military. "oh thank GOD!" So, no, he's not gay, but, like was said before, at most, he's bi. And, verifiably bi-curious.
What about when we first see them together, though? "He's interested in me? He's a guy...a-and I'm a guy..." (meh, something like that); he still went to meet her under that assumption, so...I'll say Bi/Bi-curious since he does act certain ways around the girls (camp scene, anyone?)

Boulayman said:
I would love to know how you are able to 'slow down' your progression ? I am at about 20 hours of gameplay and well on my way to finishing what I guess is the third dungeon ?

Rise's one, I am not sure if you guys are counting the very first one with that satonaki girl, when Yosuke gets his persona. My S-links dinda suck, my bests are at around 6, haven't even started Kanji'one yet, not sure how and my stats are not that great either, 3/5 for everything xcpt diligence where I have 2/5

I'm grinding a lot. I usually find that I'm over-leveled when I play JRPGs. For some reason the tedium never sets in for me. In P3 I wound up having a Lucifer and Satan with victory cry before I even opened up Monad.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
TimeKillr said:
- Down is weird now, with 2 states and no way to exploit it. In P3, you could mow through some enemies by abusing the Down status; just exploit a weakness once, don't follow up, heal. It'll get back up but lose a turn, then you can Down it again, etc. In P4, Dizzy eats up a single turn, but they get back up in their second and immediately attack. There's no way to make sure they stay down. It's not a huge deal but it would've helped in many battles :)
Took me a while (second dungeon) but I just accidentally noticed that if you hit an enemy that is down he keeps being down until it's his turn again. This way a character that doesn't have a spell that fits the weakness of the next standing enemy can lower the downed enemy HP even more before the all out attack instead of waiting around. I think it's an ok trade-off for them not losing a turn while down (if they lost a turn like in P3 it would still be better though).

crowphoenix said:
Just got SMT'd. Ran into three of those cop types, the white one, all three cast rampage and all three double shotted the MC, which killed him. Damn, I hate those bastards.
Fuck those cops. They love to get critical hits all over me.

firex

So I made it to the 6th dungeon (11/06) and all I can say is holy shit, great way to raise the stakes of the story. I knew it was coming, but I still felt tense when it happened.

Boulayman

Fuu said:
Took me a while (second dungeon) but I just accidentally noticed that if you hit an enemy that is down he keeps being down until it's his turn again. This way a character that doesn't have a spell that fits the weakness of the next standing enemy can lower the downed enemy HP even more before the all out attack instead of waiting around. I think it's an ok trade-off for them not losing a turn while down (if they lost a turn like in P3 it would still be better though).

Those cops are the ennemies I hate the most, no weakness whatsoever, tough to deal with can deal quite a lot of damage !

Ugh, the second dungeon is giving me a lot of trouble. After beating the miniboss I rushed to the boss' floor. Big mistake, the enemies up there are way too strong for my party and they don't give nearly enough experience. Is it just me or do the enemies just not give enough experience? I guess I'll have to start from the first floor and work my way up. -_- My guys are at lvl 23.

Fuu said:

Make an Ippon-Datara and rape them with Mudo.

Fuu

ZephyrFate said:
Make an Ippon-Datara and rape them with Mudo.
I've actually just made one in my last play but they haven't appeared for a few floors now. They've probably chickened out. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Fuu said:
I've actually just made one in my last play but they haven't appeared for a few floors now. They've probably chickened out. :lol

Actually the dungeons are really floor-specific when it comes to shadows. They'll typically only have a certain type of shadows every couple floors.

I'm really running low on chest keys and SP granting items. Any suggestions? I mean, I know I can run back through the previous dungeons for chest keys. I was more refering to if anyone had any takes on which one might be less stingy.

Volcynika

crowphoenix said:
I'm really running low on chest keys and SP granting items. Any suggestions? I mean, I know I can run back through the previous dungeons for chest keys. I was more refering to if anyone had any takes on which one might be less stingy.

Pat the fox's head!

:p

Tamanon

Banned
Also don't use your chest keys in the first few dungeons. Plus some quests give more keys.

Man, in dungeon 6 you start getting great items from the locked chest, got an accessory that increased SP by 30% in there.

Volcynika

Was about to finish dungeon 4 on the first day available, but I'm going back to get some armor and a few more items, since the boss pisses me off a bit.

I'll probably do it both ways, but what do you guys think?

Should I start a new cycle on Expert, or just start a brand new game on Expert? I'm ready for a challenge, since choosing Normal was too easy for me (but still enjoyable; I guess I underestimated my SMT abilities a bit). The reason I'm debating this is because on a new cycle, the Protagonist can use Personas that are a higher level than him, right?

Hmm...I'll probably just go at it anew on Expert. Although, it will kind of suck having to get my traits back up ='(

Fuu

Will finish the second dungeon tomorrow, had to stop to play some coop stuff with my brother.

Damn, the rare hand is a bitch in P4, I miss the times I only had to worry about a probable escape before getting it down for an all-out attack. Any tricks for killing them faster?

Tamanon said:
Actually the dungeons are really floor-specific when it comes to shadows. They'll typically only have a certain type of shadows every couple floors.
I see. Wasn't paying much attention to that, I'm glad I won't have to deal with them or those tigers for now then, and when I meet both again I'll be on a higher level.

Teknoman

Once again, the main battle theme is so catchy. Gonna be hearing the lyrics in my head for days.

Victory music is cool too. Reminds me of an upbeat version of "Level Up" from DDS2.

Tenks

Oh god

I could not stop laughing when Teddie was sitting in that vibrating chair. He looked so hilarious, Teddie is my favorite atlus mascot.

One thing that is weird that I've noticed... if you're in a battle with two different Shadows that have different weaknesses, and you knock down the rest of the Shadows except for one, then kill that one normally, you DO NOT get an AOA prompt. At all.

That is really annoying.

2DMention

Banned
The theme of the is it 3rd?
Rise
is hilarious. I really like the music too. From the strategy guide, it doesn't look like the bosses are that hard either.

Yaweee

ZephyrFate said:
One thing that is weird that I've noticed... if you're in a battle with two different Shadows that have different weaknesses, and you knock down the rest of the Shadows except for one, then kill that one normally, you DO NOT get an AOA prompt. At all.

That is really annoying.

The reason is that the condition is NOT that all enemies are down; it's that all enemies are down AND you've been given an extra turn, kind of like subduing all the enemies and using the momentum to finish them off.

God some of the things you can say back to people are just so damn hilarious / mean in a funny way.

Yukiko - Why do the chefs take the knife away from me?

MC -
"Because they care about you"
"If you burn the house down..."
"You're not good at cooking"

:lol

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Yes i just maxed out Justice and
When she says "oh yeah lets make a salad" you are allowed to say "I eat salad for breakfast!!" and i picked that and she goes "ehhH? *is confused*
It's also nice how you generally don't have to pick a specific response so you can go and pick the wierd stuff. Also in Magiciain
I made him cry and i got an option to hold him and he says "what the hell freak that is for girls"

Yes. Finally beat it. You know the drill:

When he was on the train by himself, I would have personally donated 20 dollars to Atlus if he said his one and only line, "God damn were those kids dorks."

Anyway, GOTY confirmed and all that jazz. Also, best soundtrack all year, my favorite on the PS2. However, I still think Mario Galaxy is my favorite soundtrack this decade. I haven't checked it out yet, but I hope all the special boss fight music is available. Every one of them were incredible boss battle tracks, especially the last two.

Joule

The Dojima family s.links are so good. Really reminds me of Jigoku Shoujo season one. Definitely my favourite links thus far.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
*Scream* dungeon 5 has by far the best music in the game so far!! Dungeon 4 had good music but this one is the best. I wish the first 3 had such good music like DDS or Nocturne style instead.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah Dungeon 5's music was great. The dungeon design actually worked for what it was, as opposed to looking like a skin in Dungeon 3.

Tamanon said:
Yeah Dungeon 5's music was great. The dungeon design actually worked for what it was, as opposed to looking like a skin in Dungeon 3.

that jazzy part in the middle, right? That part was so great. That dungeon has my second favorite design. If I hat to rank the top 3, it would be:

Joule

Culture Festival
I thought MC looked pretty good in that pageant. Knew Teddie would take that no problem. Serious dry talk down in the female pageant. It's all snap snap snap oh bitch you didn't.:lol

Teknoman

Volcynika said:
So they say Naoto is a guy, but honestly, the VA sounds like a girl...

D:

I was looking around before I started playing, and apparently Naoto is a girl...just one of those female characters that everyone thinks is a guy until certain events take place. Kinda like Faris from FFV I guess. At least thats what i've been lead to believe.

DiddyBop

great game so far,ive put in about 13 hours over the span of 3 days,im hooked!:lol this game is so much more streamlined than p3,i love all the changes theyve made(expect for the shuffle time). the story is pretty interesting so far and the s.links i have so far have been good.

is it possible to get into a love triangle with yukiko and chie? if so:lol . im kinda leaning toward chie though,can you even date ppl within your lil investigation group?

Volcynika

DiddyBop said:
great game so far,ive put in about 13 hours over the span of 3 days,im hooked!:lol this game is so much more streamlined than p3,i love all the changes theyve made(expect for the shuffle time). the story is pretty interesting so far and the s.links i have so far have been good.

is it possible to get into a love triangle with yukiko and chie? if so:lol . im kinda leaning toward chie though,can you even date ppl within your lil investigation group?

You can get with any of the girls you party up with.

Yukiko and Chie sexy parties for me! (Already maxed them both)

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Problem: I can't find a single copy of Persona 3 FES (or the original) anywhere. I've checked:

Argos, Amazon UK, Ebay, Tesco, Dixons, Currys, Zavvi, HMV Gameplay, Play and a zillion other retailers, both online and off, and it's out of stock everywhere.

Question: Shall I just hold out until the UK release of Persona 4 (in February)? Is it conidered a full-on improvement, or is Persona 3 FES superior in some regards?

Hmm, so I'm in the second dungeon, have no Gobu things that send me back to the beginning, and I'm running low on SP. I've defeated the mini boss and I'm two levels lower than that... should I try to turn around and go back to the beginning or keep pressing forward hoping I make it before running fully out of SP? It sucks having no way back...

Volcynika

frankthurk said:
Hmm, so I'm in the second dungeon, have no Gobu things that send me back to the beginning, and I'm running low on SP. I've defeated the mini boss and I'm two levels lower than that... should I try to turn around and go back to the beginning or keep pressing forward hoping I make it before running fully out of SP? It sucks having no way back...

If you can make it to the boss floor, there's a save point, and you can go back to the entrance from there. Start learning how to dodge enemies and hope there isn't a wall in the path you take!

DiddyBop

Cataferal said:
Problem: I can't find a single copy of Persona 3 FES (or the original) anywhere. I've checked:

Argos, Amazon UK, Ebay, Tesco, Dixons, Currys, Zavvi, HMV Gameplay, Play and a zillion other retailers, both online and off, and it's out of stock everywhere.

Question: Shall I just hold out until the UK release of Persona 4 (in February)? Is it conidered a full-on improvement, or is Persona 3 FES superior in some regards?
plenty on amazon.ca and videogamesplus.ca which supposedly ships to europe. and personally,the gameplay mechanics in p4 are so improved over p3 that i could never go back. i had both p3 and p3 fes but could never finish them,and i already know i'll be completing p4 because im already hooked,the improvements they made help out a lot.

in terms of music,characters,plot,etc between the two games is a matter of opinion,but the gameplay in p4 is superior.

jsrv

I just beat the fourth dungeon (Was it? Void something? I don't remember), the boss was really hard, I actually ran out of SP and had to use 2 snuff souls and 1 chewing soul, and I think I was overleveled even (41).

So does it get harder? I don't think they'd let you cheat your way through like in Persona 3 with Armageddon or whatever that spell/ability was that made the game very easy :D

Tokubetsu

Cataferal said:

Get P4 but I'd still try to get P3. There a couple of things I prefer in 3 so far and I definitely feel like I preferred the characters/atmosphere of the P3 over 4 thus far but as someone above me said, this is all opinion and you should experience both for yourself.

Top Bottom