• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Kweh

Nice, just fought the boss in the
castle when trying to rescue Yukiko, and it wiped my party out real fast, with his posion strike, hitting for ~100.

Welcome to Persona 4! I actually got pretty far in P3 too.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Holy Order Sol said:
Regarding Personas and ther abilities, I found that physical-based Personas/skills were much more useful in P4 than in any other SMT game for some reason.
They sure are. I used to completely ignore such skills in P3 because of the HP loss but now I'm using them all the time while being glad they don't use SP.

Vorador

Banned
Kweh said:
castle when trying to rescue Yukiko, and it wiped my party out real fast, with his posion strike, hitting for ~100.

Use
a null fire Persona or with Red Wall, make Chie Guard often

It isn't that difficult, just annoying.

Sushen

I've never played P3 even though I own a brandnew copy of P3FES since the summer. I'm starting to understand what's the big deal of this series. It's a shame that it came out for the last gen system. Anyway, I'm playing the game in beginner mode (call me whatever, I don't care), is there easy mode in P3 as well? Once I beat this game and take some break, I'll definitely try P3, now.

Link1110

Aww, man. My favorite character,
Morooka
just got
killed.
I'm shocked no one has brought up the fact that it might've been a
copycat killer. If it didn't happen in the TV, why couldn't anyone else have done it.

vilmer_

DAMMIT!! I recently unlocked dungeon 4, and I figured I'd go in there a couple of times to check it out and get the mini boss out of the way, and then go back to working on my S-Links for a little bit. Well, I finally decide to get up to the main boss and have a crack at the BASTARD... Needless to say he's royally kicking my ass (party is around 39ish), so I figured I'd wait an extra day or two and get back at him. Lo and behold, the freaking FOG SET IN and now I'm in a bit of a pickle :lol I saved right before him and apparently the next night is when the fog sets in, so I don't have much room to work with :/ Should I just go back a week and maybe grind out a few more levels, or should I keep trying the boss? I actually got him to about half health before he
put up his freaking barrier again

Ending spoilers:

The whole confrontation with Izanami was KICKASS. In P3, while the MC was presented as being this catalyst that could potentially destroy/rebirth the world, it really felt like the MC took no action, like he just sat around and watched everything happen. I mean, lots of that is probably a personal thing with the whole silent protagonist concept, but I felt that P4 did that SO much better. I felt like, as a character, the P4 MC was a lot more defined and impressive. It really felt like the MC's actions really mattered, and that he was really involved in the story, unlike the constant "I kind of don't care" image of P3's MC with his hands in his pockets and headphones. I just really think the whole Izanagi/Izanami relationship really reflected that, and that was a great choice, mythos-wise.

I want to do a Second Cycle, but I'm gonna force myself to play through P1 and P2 first. :lol

Guled

Kweh said:

do a tri fusion with Slime (with all its skills learned), Ukobach (with all its skills learned), and angel to get Archangel. make sure it has resist fire and Red wall, and level it up to lvl 12 so it can learn Media

Link1110

Text error. When
Rise
(I think) joined, it said "
She
ll be useful in your fight against the shadows." Wrong game.

firex

Tenks said:
Rushing was alot more important in P3 because you could conserve your allies SP by using it. If you didn't rush they would hardly ever use their standard attack and rushing was really the only control you could put on them. So if you encountered an enemy that was vulnerable to Garu you'd rush the MC/Mitsuru/Aki so then you'd arrive to Yukari to just Magaru (or in most cases tactic set to 'knock down' and she'd just garu one by one) the enemies without having Mitsu or Aki waste HP/SP accomplishing nothing.

Also it appears in P4 when you rush they don't focus on one enemy. They like to spread the love it seems.
huh? I never had that problem in P3 at all. Conserve SP = they won't cast spells, period. There's another tactic you learn that will have them attack your target only, and as long as they know it's immune to their spells, they'll just melee it. Or if they know it's weak to their melee, they'll melee to knock enemies down.

Although, I didn't run into really retarded party AI until The Answer in P3, and then that part was horrible. Way worse than the main game for whatever reason.

Vorador

Banned
vilmer_ said:
DAMMIT!! I recently unlocked dungeon 4, and I figured I'd go in there a couple of times to check it out and get the mini boss out of the way, and then go back to working on my S-Links for a little bit. Well, I finally decide to get up to the main boss and have a crack at the BASTARD... Needless to say he's royally kicking my ass (party is around 39ish), so I figured I'd wait an extra day or two and get back at him. Lo and behold, the freaking FOG SET IN and now I'm in a bit of a pickle :lol I saved right before him and apparently the next night is when the fog sets in, so I don't have much room to work with :/ Should I just go back a week and maybe grind out a few more levels, or should I keep trying the boss? I actually got him to about half health before he
put up his freaking barrier again

Killed him at 43, a bit overleveled. It's important to have
Mediarama and a Persona with Me Patra to cure fear to the party and also the skill/item to cure exhaustion. Just be aware of what type of elemental skill he is going to use to defend yourself against it (hint: when the real Shadow appears he will use a * Wall of the element he is going to use to attack). It's important since every time a character is downed he will use Megidola and do a ton of damage to the entire group

Sushen said:
I've never played P3 even though I own a brandnew copy of P3FES since the summer. I'm starting to understand what's the big deal of this series. It's a shame that it came out for the last gen system. Anyway, I'm playing the game in beginner mode (call me whatever, I don't care), is there easy mode in P3 as well? Once I beat this game and take some break, I'll definitely try P3, now.

Yes, P3 FES also has beginner mode.

I think I'm going really slowly with this game for some reason. I'm at about 50 hours into it and I haven't got to the the fourth dungeon yet. The social links and the dungeon crawling taking up the same time slot is really killing me too. I'm only at about rank 7 with Yosuke, and Chie. Those are the ones I've gotten the furthest with too.

I'm worried I missed my opportunity to date Chie. When does that option pop up? Don't tell me I have to get her to rank 10 before I get out of the friend zone, and get into the dating ranks?

I must say though that with the exception of maybe Aigis, pretty much every character in P4 is way more interesting than the P3 cast. Teddie is hilarious after that third dungeon.

Tamanon

Banned
Big Icarus said:
I think I'm going really slowly with this game for some reason. I'm at about 50 hours into it and I haven't got to the the fourth dungeon yet. The social links and the dungeon crawling taking up the same time slot is really killing me too. I'm only at about rank 7 with Yosuke, and Chie. Those are the ones I've gotten the furthest with too.

I'm worried I missed my opportunity to date Chie. When does that option pop up? Don't tell me I have to get her to rank 10 before I get out of the friend zone, and get into the dating ranks?

I must say though that with the exception of maybe Aigis, pretty much every character in P4 is way more interesting than the P3 cast. Teddie is hilarious after that third dungeon.

Chie should be rank 9 for dating. Most of them are.

Help with Rise

I found the photographer guy at Samegawa river, and we wants more information before he gives me what I need to I can relay it to Teddie. Who the hell am I suppose to talk to?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
firex said:
huh? I never had that problem in P3 at all. Conserve SP = they won't cast spells, period. There's another tactic you learn that will have them attack your target only, and as long as they know it's immune to their spells, they'll just melee it. Or if they know it's weak to their melee, they'll melee to knock enemies down.
To me it was more about the random easy encounters where you can't be bothered to change the usual tactics you're using for that area. A simple triangle press = finishing a quick fight without any unnecessary sp loss. Rush also made the attack animations quicker.

Volcynika

Angelus Errare said:
I found the photographer guy at Samegawa river, and we wants more information before he gives me what I need to I can relay it to Teddie. Who the hell am I suppose to talk to?

Go to the school, I think second floor (might be in the practice building). He's a bit chubby, so he's easy to distinguish, he's a fan of Rise and will give you some more info.

dragonlife29 said:
SMT'd? :p

I personally never let my skills change in any of the games; in P4, I didn't activate the Arcana Cards, either.

I'm too much of a pussy :p
I just pulled a reverse moon. 8 battles of gaining nothing but 1 EXP. :lol Lord, I was pissed. And I'm trying to train up Kanji so he can take part in dungeon 5.

On another note, I hate the fifth dungeon's shuffle time.

Boulayman

Big Icarus said:

I would love to know how you are able to 'slow down' your progression ? I am at about 20 hours of gameplay and well on my way to finishing what I guess is the third dungeon ?

Rise's one, I am not sure if you guys are counting the very first one with that satonaki girl, when Yosuke gets his persona. My S-links dinda suck, my bests are at around 6, haven't even started Kanji'one yet, not sure how and my stats are not that great either, 3/5 for everything xcpt diligence where I have 2/5

Yaweee

crowphoenix said:
I just pulled a reverse moon. 8 battles of gaining nothing but 1 EXP. :lol Lord, I was pissed. And I'm trying to train up Kanji so he can take part in dungeon 5.

On another note, I hate the fifth dungeon's shuffle time.

About 1/3rd through the game, I realized the answer was always NO for Arcana Chance, except if you were low on SP and drew Judgment or Death.

Roulette Shuffle Time blows ass, big time.

Yaweee said:
About 1/3rd through the game, I realized the answer was always NO for Arcana Chance, except if you were low on SP and drew Judgment or Death.

Roulette Shuffle Time blows ass, big time.

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to get upright Arcana about 80-90% of the time.

It's seemed pretty unbalanced, since I don't seem to get the negative effects that often.

Or have I just had a long string of good luck?

Boulayman

Volcynika said:
I'd take an arcana chance every now and then, but it's always FUCKING HIEROPHANT. 99% of the time, I swear.

I have been fairly lucky in arcana chance so far (full map, extra money for treasure and so forth), I have only gotten a bad one (no analysis available) and a VERY bad one (advantage to the enemy for all fights). I just left the dungeon when I got that one.

Edit: yeah, I am exactly in the same situation as KuwabaraTheMan

Volcynika

Boulayman said:
I have been fairly lucky in arcana chance so far (full map, extra money for treasure and so forth), I have only gotten a bad one (no analysis available) and a VERY bad one (advantage to the enemy for all fights). I just left the dungeon when I got that one.

Even when I do get an arcana chance, the odds of it being upside-down seem incredibly low.

Tamanon

Banned
2DMention said:
I have to say I think it really sucks that you can't get an XP or Yen bonus from shuffle time.

Eh, I think they succeeded in this game at making the XP levels pretty good for both the characters and the Personas. You no longer NEED XP bonuses.

Just got SMT'd. Ran into three of those cop types, the white one, all three cast rampage and all three double shotted the MC, which killed him. Damn, I hate those bastards.

Volcynika said:
Even when I do get an arcana chance, the odds of it being upside-down seem incredibly low.

With the moon arcana chance, I can gain 5-7 levels on one run through the dungeon. To me, that's really too good a possibility to pass up.

Tenks

Tamanon said:
Eh, I think they succeeded in this game at making the XP levels pretty good for both the characters and the Personas. You no longer NEED XP bonuses.

Not to mention at the end of P3 after you finish clearing the Tartarus and the optional floors open up I remember grinding this hourglass dudes who were weak to normal attacks (I can't remember which type, maybe pierce) then selecting the XP bonus card at the shuffle. I swear I'd get like 4-5 levels every time. I got my Lucifer/Satan in no time doing that.

Ever since I got that enemy advantage I don't do the arcana chance that often (it only seems to occur once every two flours or thereabout anyway) but I used it more than a dozen times and I only got those 2 bad ones

Hm in general I will normally take my arcana chance. I usually select the rightside up one and usually the benefits are better than the penalties. There are a few that I simply do not execute though -- those being:

Hermit -- The inverse is a shitload worse than the rightside
Magician -- I don't really want to turn my 'ma' skills into medium single damage spells
Empress -- At best it will save me 1 or 2 media since I keep my HP usually very high. The inverse will cost me around 5 or 6.
Judgement -- Its a judgement call (LAWL PUN!!!) If most of my party is over 30% SP I don't take it, other wise I do

Here is, via GameFaqs, the list of arcana cards and effects (I don't think this needs to be spoilered...)

============================
Fool
Effect: Change Arcana

Magician
Positive Effect: Increase Persona Skill
Negative Effect: Decrease Persona Skill

Example: If the Persona you carry have the skill Mazio, it'll
change into Ziodyne and vice versa.

Priestess
Positive Effect:Everything is Analyzed
Negative Effect: Disable analysis

* Positive Effect does not affect Bosses.

Empress
Positive Effect:Restore all HP
Negative Effect:All members HP becomes 1

Emperor
Positive Effect:Increase Player initiative
Negative Effect:Increase Enemy initiative

Hierophant
Positive Effect: Disable Negative Arcana Cards.
Negative Effect:Higher chance of recieving Negative Cards

Lovers
Positive Effect: Decrease Stronger shadows existances
Negative Effect:Increase Stronger shadows existances

* The lovers arcana, will only replace shadows from
the same dungeon.
Chariot
Positive Effect:Increase Persona Agility
Negative Effect: Decrease Persona Agility

Justice
Positive Effect:Increase Persona Strength
Negative Effect: Decrease Persona Strength
Hermit
Positive Effect:Fully reveals Map
Negative Effect:Map Becomes Hidden

Fortune
Positive Effect:Increase Persona Luck
Negative Effect: Decrease Persona Luck

Strength
Positive Effect:Increase Persona Magic
Negative Effect: Decrease Persona Magic

Hanged Man
Positive Effect:Increase Persona Endurance
Negative Effect: Decrease Persona Endurance

Death
Death: Positive:All SP Restored. HP becomes 1. Warps out of Dungeon
Negative:All HP Restored. SP becomes 1. Warps out of Dungeon

* The dungeon you were currently in will be replaced with a new one.
Temperance
Positive Effect:Increase amount of yen recieve per battle.
Negative Effect:Reduce the amount of yen to 1 per battle.

Devil
Positive Effect:Increase Persona level
Negative Effect: Decrease Persona level

Tower
Positive Effect:Find yen in treasure boxes.
Negative Effect:Randomly find monsters in Treasure.

Star
Positive Effect:Increase chance of getting of "One More" on shuffle.
Negative Effect: Decrease chance of getting of "One More" on shuffle.

Star
Positive Effect:Increase amount of EXP recieve per battle.
Negative Effect:Reduce the amount of EXP to 1 per battle.
Sun
Positive Effect:Increase chance of getting a persona on shuffle.
Negative Effect:Increase the chance of getting nothing on shuffle.
Judgement
Positive Effect:Restore all SP
Negative Effect:party's SP will be reduced to 1

Boulayman

Volcynika said:

Wouldn't that be linked to the luck stat of the persona the MC is currently equipped with ?

Ever since I got that enemy advantage I don't do the arcana chance that often (it only seems to occur once every two flours or thereabout anyway) but I used it more than a dozen times and I only got those 2 bad ones.

Edit: Thanks for the list Tenks

Yaweee

Boulayman said:
Wouldn't that be linked to the luck stat of the persona the MC is currently equipped with ?

Ever since I got that enemy advantage I don't do the arcana chance that often (it only seems to occur once every two flours or thereabout anyway) but I used it more than a dozen times and I only got those 2 bad ones.

Edit: Thanks for the list Tenks

It might also be linked to level, as well. I've noticed that Arcana Chance showed up more frequently when I returned to older areas (above and beyond the increased odds of shuffle time). I'd say my success rate was somewhere between1/2 and 2/3rds, but I seem to have been a lower level than many people

Volcynika

:lol :lol :lol

(4th dungeon spoilers)

Fought the hand, and after he summoned Almighty hand for a second time, I used wind on him to hit the Almighty Hand's weakness with the protag, and Chie Galactic Punted the main enemy out of the match. I nearly fell out of my chair

vilmer_

Vorador said:
Killed him at 43, a bit overleveled. It's important to have
Mediarama and a Persona with Me Patra to cure fear to the party and also the skill/item to cure exhaustion. Just be aware of what type of elemental skill he is going to use to defend yourself against it (hint: when the real Shadow appears he will use a * Wall of the element he is going to use to attack). It's important since every time a character is downed he will use Megidola and do a ton of damage to the entire group

It looks as though I've gotten myself in a devastating situation... I spent some time leveling up my main party to 42/43 (Mediarama for Yukiko) and while doing this, I spent most of my yen getting healed by the fox. Now, I'm back at the boss, with absolutely no SP at all, except for my MC, and no snuff souls, etc and only 25,000 yen (so I can't get healing via the wolf). On top of that, I can't leave and come back the next day, because as soon as I leave for home, the fog sets in. GAH!!

Volcynika

vilmer_ said:
It looks as though I've gotten myself in a devastating situation... I spent some time leveling up my main party to 42/43 (Mediarama for Yukiko) and while doing this, I spent most of my yen getting healed by the fox. Now, I'm back at the boss, with absolutely no SP at all, except for my MC, and no snuff souls, etc and only 25,000 yen (so I can't get healing via the wolf). On top of that, I can't leave and come back the next day, because as soon as I leave for home, the fog sets in. GAH!!

Go to earlier dungeons, and find an upright Judgement or upright Death Arcana Chance. You can get your SP filled up, and if its the Death one, you can just heal with minimal loss. It'll consume a bit of time possibly, but much better than having to go all the way back.

vilmer, I was in this exact same situation. Do as Volcynica says, it's a pain in the ass but it's definitely possible.

Volcynica : lol, I had the same thing happen to me in that fight. :lol

And as much as I miss Mitsuru's "BOOT TO THE HEAD",
Naoto
's critical hit is freaking cool.

Dude, time for another SMT BUUUUUULLL-SHIT alert. True ending spoiler.

I was fighting the last boss. Like, the LAAAAST boss. And, I was not only beating her, I was beating the fucking SHIT outta her. My MC never got below 400 the whole fight. Seriously, I was one round from beating her, then she did "invitation to Yomi" and it didn't affect anybody, but me. What a crock of motherfucking shit.

Yaweee

vilmer_ said:

Just make a few runs through the dungeon, and kill only the gold enemies. You should get... 12k per enemy in that dungeon, I think.

Guled

I got to the second dungeon and I'm just wondering if Kenji
is gay?
Anyway, I was also wondering if you guys beat a dungeon in one shot or take a couple of days to beat it?

Blackjack

Guled said:
is gay?
Anyway, I was also wondering if you guys beat a dungeon in one shot or take a couple of days to beat it?
Bi at most

Vorador

Banned
Volcynika said:
:lol :lol :lol

(4th dungeon spoilers)

Fought the hand, and after he summoned Almighty hand for a second time, I used wind on him to hit the Almighty Hand's weakness with the protag, and Chie Galactic Punted the main enemy out of the match. I nearly fell out of my chair

Holy shit that happened to me too. It was hilarious :lol :lol :lol :lol

By the way. Those who have finished that dungeon come back to check
the skeleton in the lair, it gives the Gaia Sword for the MC and it looks like your average old school sword xDDDD

Guled said:
is gay?

Major Spoilers if you are interested in my theory. It will spoil, though.

Kanji is not gay, but he does have an effeminate side that he tries to hide by acting like a total badass and a prick all the time. So, knowing that he has this girly side to him, and after meeting Naota and being attracted to "him," he began to really doubt his sexuality. in reality, he was attracted to "him" because of the gentle feminine features she has. But, for all he knew, he was attracted to the gentle feminine features of a really girly boy. Think: Zapp Brannigan when Leela joined the military. "oh thank GOD!" So, no, he's not gay, but, like was said before, at most, he's bi. And, verifiably bi-curious.

Guled

vas_a_morir said:
Major Spoilers if you are interested in my theory. It will spoil, though.

Kanji is not gay, but he does have an effeminate side that he tries to hide by acting like a total badass and a prick all the time. So, knowing that he has this girly side to him, and after meeting Naota and being attracted to "him," he began to really doubt his sexuality. in reality, he was attracted to "him" because of the gentle feminine features she has. But, for all he knew, he was attracted to the gentle feminine features of a really girly boy. Think: Zapp Brannigan when Leela joined the military. "oh thank GOD!" So, no, he's not gay, but, like was said before, at most, he's bi. And, verifiably bi-curious.
So Naota is a girl? that makes sense then

vilmer_

Thanks guys! I ended up finding a Judgement Arcana not too far into Yukiko's Castle :D Now I have a full tank heading into fight that little asshole! On another note, I was under the impression that there had to be consecutive rainy days before the fog set in. I didn't know that it could happen after a certain amount of rainy days... I've certainly learned my lesson now :p

vas_a_morir said:
Dude, time for another SMT BUUUUUULLL-SHIT alert. True ending spoiler.

I was fighting the last boss. Like, the LAAAAST boss. And, I was not only beating her, I was beating the fucking SHIT outta her. My MC never got below 400 the whole fight. Seriously, I was one round from beating her, then she did "invitation to Yomi" and it didn't affect anybody, but me. What a crock of motherfucking shit.

I was SO close to having that happen to me. My biggest problem was running out of SP, haha.

Top Bottom