• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
Eltacoman said:
Dear god, 5 hours in and I only just finished the first dungeon. Someone please give me a reason to continue.

Because you finished the front-loaded portion of the story. Now you're in the story-dungeon-story-dungeon mode.

Eltacoman said:
Dear god, 5 hours in and I only just finished the first dungeon. Someone please give me a reason to continue.

It took me more than 5 hours, iirc. Three hours just to get through the first two boss battles, before you even gain full-time control.

The game gets consistently better, in my opinion. Especially as the story picks up, and you get more to do.

Tenks

Halp:

Shadow Teddie. Do I need something to cure Silence? I currently have none and my party is very light on healing (only Yukiko) so if she gets silence'd I'm pretty fucked. I don't really want to waste a day to just buy some echos but I guess if I must I must.

At first I thought he was going to be a bitch then it dawned on me to just guard with Yukiko after he mind charges since he always casts Mabufula after that.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Durante said:
I don't want to undo their job -- in fact I very much appreciate what they do, I'd even claim that playing with Japanese VA gives you additional appreciation for that! Like translating Kuma's horrible Japanese puns into Teddy's equally horrible English puns that fit the same situation (thus maintaining the character). They did an exceptional job on that and I can't believe that's easy.

I guess I just don't see the big evil of playing undubs of games you bought. Even if you go with the legality angle it exactly mirrors the situation of downloading no-disc cracks for PC games you bought or ripping PSP games you bought to memory stick. All these are things that customers do to improve their experience that are not in the intention of the seller and illegal in many jurisdictions. Yet they are still perfectly acceptable on GAF -- and rightfully so, since they are not immoral and don't hurt developers in any way.

But I don't want to derail the thread further.
Actually the legality argument does work for this case, but not in the way you are thinking. You purchased a product with an english dub but are replacing it with the Japanese dub. However the Japanese voice actors are not getting represented by buying the english copy. It's not like the two examples you cited because those two simply involve moving the data you payed for while this example involves editing the data and adding in data you did not pay for.

And either way, it's just silly. With a dub as good as Persona 4's there is no reason for an undub other than mild curiosity which can easily be solved with youtube videos and such. If someone hates the dub that much or prefers the Japanese dub that much, they should just buy the Japanese version then.

Tetsuo9

Tenks said:
Halp:

Shadow Teddie. Do I need something to cure Silence? I currently have none and my party is very light on healing (only Yukiko) so if she gets silence'd I'm pretty fucked. I don't really want to waste a day to just buy some echos but I guess if I must I must.

At first I thought he was going to be a bitch then it dawned on me to just guard with Yukiko after he mind charges since he always casts Mabufula after that.

Just buy some, in fact buy some of all that status healing items.

Durante

NichM:
That person is obviously an extremist, but I feel it's a bit unfair to judge all your fans that prefer -- even if ever so slightly -- the undub by one such person. For example, I never said (and don't believe for a moment) that the localized Persona 4 VA is "1996-era garbage".

To clarify, I played the unmodified version of Digital Devil Saga without any misgivings and enjoyed it immensily -- in fact in my post history you might see me bring it up as an example of a good dub, right after the very few great ones like FF12.

On the other hand, I do think the Persona games are a bit of a special case. They are supposed to take place in Japan and make massive references to Japanese culture. Some of those are invariably lost in the translation (and I hope you understand that I mean this regardless of the (high) quality of that effort), even if the localization makes big allowances like keeping (some) honorifics or using (some) Japanese words directly (eg. hatsumode -- that surprised me).

I said before I don't want to derail the thread too much and I meant it, but I really wanted to clarify that there is a large spectrum of opinions between "give me Japanese or give me death (lolz 1996 QUALITY)" and "I speak English I never ever want to hear or see anything else, the mere option offends me".

Joule

Yaweee said:
Haha, the reason I asked was because I too kept track. I played on expert, and you are consistently 4 (or in once case, 3) levels higher than me, and I did most of them in one day as well.

I had similar levels to Durante at times but it's a little skewed since I constantly use Persona 10+ levels under my MC's level. I just can't break the habit of getting all skills before moving on.

Tenks

Wait, what? People are actually bitching about the VA in P4? These are probably the same people who are never happy about anything in their entire lives. The VA in P4 is top notch and I don't feel anyone's voice is over the top or does not align with how the character looks. I'd almost go as far to say this is some of the best VA I have ever heard in a JP -> NA game. Then again I thought P3's VA was pretty damn good as well. These have to be the same people who complain endlessly about screen tearing (btw all these game's I've played with "unplayable" screen tearing ... yeah I've never noticed) and jaggies.

I really don't know what these people expect from Atlus. It's pretty easy to insult and throw stones but when you offer zero solutions you aren't doing anything. Bitching for the sake of bitching generally pisses me off.

Guled

NichM said:
They hurt our feelings, for one. I've quoted this before on the P3 undub, and here it is again on the release notes for the P4 undub:

"Unplayable"? GTFO with that. We worked really hard to make sure P4's dub would be better than P3's--I personally think we did a pretty good job--and people like him (and you, saying you're "improving your experience" by stripping out a major part of the localization) just assume it's 1996-era garbage without ever giving it a chance. There are parts in the finished product of P4 where I laughed out loud not because of the text onscreen, but because the VA nailed the line so perfectly. When you play the undub, you turn up your nose at all that.
no matter how good the VA is they will always be assholes like that, don't let it effect the hard work you guys put in to localize the game, you guys did a great job

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
NichM said:
They hurt our feelings, for one.
I don't want to get into this argument but I must use this opportunity to say you all did an amazing job here, Nich.

I already liked the P3 dub but the work in P4 has been really outstanding so far. I've lost count of the times I've smiled or laughed out loud with so many lines being delivered in a fun way (both in text and audio). Congrats to all involved, and make sure you guys always give more weight to constructive than to destructive criticism.

Durante

Tenks said:
Wait, what? People are actually bitching about the VA in P4? [snip rant]
No, I haven't seen anyone even come close to doing that in this thread. I'm easily the most ardent of the GAFers on the "undub side" and I've had nothing but praise for Atlus' work. There seems to be someone on the internet who does hate it, but there's probably someone for every crazy opinion you can think of.

Tenks said:
I really don't know what these people expect from Atlus. It's pretty easy to insult and throw stones but when you offer zero solutions you aren't doing anything.
I think the solution offered by the group that you are so wailing against is quite simple -- dual audio. Of course, in cases where that's technically impossible (like I assume Persona 4) there is little to be done (I do wonder how a say $25 more expensive 2 DVD ultra special addition would fare but that's probably a pipe dream given publishing realities. I would certainly buy 2 copies).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
And, Nich, if you're still here:

Fuu said:
Anedoctal evidence aside, do we have any info on how the game is doing in sales? Maybe Nich can throw us a bone here (even if not in solid numbers, a "good, ok or bad" would be nice)?
Can you tell us anything?

NichM said:
"Unplayable"? GTFO with that. We worked really hard to make sure P4's dub would be better than P3's--I personally think we did a pretty good job--and people like him (and you, saying you're "improving your experience" by stripping out a major part of the localization) just assume it's 1996-era garbage without ever giving it a chance. There are parts in the finished product of P4 where I laughed out loud not because of the text onscreen, but because the VA nailed the line so perfectly. When you play the undub, you turn up your nose at all that.

Hell yah. Kanji's VA in particular is fucking ace.

Tenks

Durante said:
I think the solution offered by the group that you are so wailing against is quite simple -- dual audio. Of course, in cases where that's technically impossible (like I assume Persona 4) there is little to be done (I do wonder how a say $25 more expensive 2 DVD ultra special addition would fare but that's probably a pipe dream given publishing realities. I would certainly buy 2 copies).

I thought they've already stated this would be technically impossible on a DVD. Though at least you are offering solutions but I wasn't directly calling you out. I more went on an anti basement dwelling anime elitist rant.

Gaf confession: I love JRPG but I cannot stand to watch a second of anime

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Maybe I'm not understanding something here. I am under the impression that this "undub" here is just the North American version of the game with the English voice acting removed and the Japanese voice acting inserted in its place.

If so. . . what, exactly, is the point? If someone understands Japanese well enough to understand the Japanese voice acting, they're fully capable of playing the Japanese version of the game. If someone doesn't understand Japanese well enough to understand the Japanese voice acting then they're not gaining anything from the undub. The text -- the only thing an English-only undub player can understand -- is still the localized version. It is not necessarily an exact translation of the Japanese dialogue.

So what's the point? You're not getting a "more authentic" experience by playing an undub any more than you would be getting a "more literary" experience by playing a version of the game wherein all the voice acting was replaced by excerpts from an audiobook version of The Great Gatsby.

NichM

Banned
Fuu said:
And, Nich, if you're still here:

Can you tell us anything?

I don't have specifics, but I think it's doing pretty well. As far as I know, it's at least meeting our expectations.

And Durante, the guy I quoted wasn't some random wacko. He created your undub. And you wonder why I associate that sentiment with undubs...

NichM said:
They hurt our feelings, for one. I've quoted this before on the P3 undub, and here it is again on the release notes for the P4 undub

There's no denying that this guy is a douche but it doesn't mean that whoever is interested in an undub version is such an asshole.
Personally I don't have a reason to look for P4 undub though, I tried that with P3 out of curiosity and couldn't stand it for very long because Japanese Yukari sounds like she's gonna faint any minute most of the time, I could barely hear her anyway.

grandjedi6

ixix said:
Maybe I'm not understanding something here. I am under the impression that this "undub" here is just the North American version of the game with the English voice acting removed and the Japanese voice acting inserted in its place.

If so. . . what, exactly, is the point? If someone understands Japanese well enough to understand the Japanese voice acting, they're fully capable of playing the Japanese version of the game. If someone doesn't understand Japanese well enough to understand the Japanese voice acting then they're not gaining anything from the undub. The text -- the only thing an English-only undub player can understand -- is still the localized version. It is not necessarily an exact translation of the Japanese dialogue.

So what's the point? You're not getting a "more authentic" experience by playing an undub any more than you would be getting a "more literary" experience by playing a version of the game wherein all the voice acting was replaced by excerpts from an audiobook version of The Great Gatsby.
I call them lazy japanophiles

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hearby sentence him to 100 kicks to the face :lol

Undubbers be crazy, this is such a great dub.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
NichM said:
They hurt our feelings, for one. I've quoted this before on the P3 undub, and here it is again on the release notes for the P4 undub:

Completely agree with you.

P4 english VA is amazing, only japanophile nerds that can't tell good VA if it hit them in the face think otherwise.

Tamanon

Banned
Although Yosuke's VA on an all-out attack screaming "Get out of our way!" is the exact same voice and inflection/emphasis as his VA in Code Geass as Suzaku yelling "Get out of my way!":lol

Still a great cast, very well done. I think it's because they used a lot of folks who have done a ton of work in the industry and the anime industry.

Boulayman

Tamanon said:
Although Yosuke's VA on an all-out attack screaming "Get out of our way!" is the exact same voice and inflection/emphasis as his VA in Code Geass as Suzaku yelling "Get out of my way!":lol

Still a great cast, very well done. I think it's because they used a lot of folks who have done a ton of work in the industry and the anime industry.

Yosuke's VA also reminded me of Ichigo from Bleach for some reason :)

I agree it's a very good cast (not just the cast but also the ingame text is clear concise and often funny :)), that friend of mine who has the japanese version told me he HATED Teddy's voice in the japanese one (calling it the worst ever) and that both his voice and his jokes got really improved by the translation/adaptation. I was wondering if a regular high schooler in japan is supposed to know the answers to those questions they sometimes ask in class ? Some of them are fairly easy but others are pretty tough, had to google them

Tamanon

Banned
Boulayman said:
Yosuke's VA also reminded me of Ichigo from Bleach for some reason :)

I agree it's a very good cast (not just the cast but also the ingame text is clear concise and often funny :)), that friend of mine who has the japanese version told me he HATED Teddy's voice in the japanese one (calling it the worst ever) and that both his voice and his jokes got really improved by the translation/adaptation. I was wondering if a regular high schooler in japan is supposed to know the answers to those questions they sometimes ask in class ? Some of them are fairly easy but others are pretty tough, had to google them

He's someone else minor in Bleach. Although he did play Sasuke in Naruto also.

Ichigo's VA is actually the MC in P4.:lol

Volcynika

No one told me about the 4th dungeon how you can
skip the midboss! I made my way up to floor 10 and wondered what was going on :lol Now I have to go back down and beat him.

Boulayman

grandjedi6 said:
Are you sure its Yosuke who reminded you of Ichigo? :lol

Hmmm ? Well, I have only heard Bleach's english cast once (when I went to see the movie memories of something at the theater, it was pretty cool because before the movie they had a featurette introducing all the voice cast). But he does give me a Bleach vibe (maybe not Ichigo ^^)

Boulayman

Tamanon said:
He's someone else minor in Bleach. Although he did play Sasuke in Naruto also.

Ichigo's VA is actually the MC in P4.:lol

Lol, I was way off base then, but I don't think I ever heard the voice of the MC ! Will it be like Kojima and the voice of god :lol

grandjedi6

Boulayman said:
Hmmm ? Well, I have only heard Bleach's english cast once (when I went to see the movie memories of something at the theater). But he does give me a Bleach vibe (maybe not Ichigo ^^)
Well its just kinda funny that you say Yosuke reminds you of Ichigo's voice when Ichigo's actual voice is used for 2 other main characters.

Boulayman

grandjedi6 said:
Well its just kinda funny that you say Yosuke reminds you of Ichigo's voice when Ichigo's actual voice is used for 2 other main characters.

Lol, I guess that if Jon was to grade my voice recognition ability he would do exactly what your avatar shows :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Finally able to get back to this... and to make things better I got my copy of the SMT Nocturne guide back today :D

grandjedi6

Boulayman said:
Lol, I guess that if Jon was to grade my voice recognition ability he would do exactly what your avatar shows :D
You're probably recognizing Yosuke's voice from something else. Yuri Lowenthal does alot of videogame voice work.

I can't remember off the top of my head though exactly which voice he's using in Persona 4

2DMention

Banned
Wow! There was a big gap in time between going into the TV between
Kanji
and
Rise
. I must've power leveled about 6-7 S. Links and boosted a bunch of stats. I try to eat the beef bowl special on rainy days and buy the stuff from the shopping channel every week. I've also done a fair bit of fishing. Is fishing really worth it?

Do any of you visit the TV between new victims? I only go once there's a new victim.

And one other thing -

Kanji still needs to come out of the closet, even after he got his persona. The sad thing is, I'm almost as insecure about my masclinity as that guy

Durante

Volcynika said:
No one told me about the 4th dungeon how you can
skip the midboss! I made my way up to floor 10 and wondered what was going on Now I have to go back down and beat him.
I always fully explore the non-random parts of the dungeons since they are a nice change of pace from the endless random floors. But I thought that part was a very nice touch
especially considering the "oldschool" theme of the fourth dungeon. Before I got to it I was wondering why GAF would love one specific dungeon so much but it became immediatly clear upon seeing the "title screen" :lol

2DMention said:
Wow! There was a big gap in time between going into the TV between
Kanji
and
Rise
I thought that as well at the time, but it's not even the largest gap. It's one of the drawbacks of finishing all the dungeons as soon as they unlock: the dungeon-crawl-blocks and the sim-gameplay-blocks can get into the range of 6+ hours.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
@nich

screw the haters, the dub is awesome. That's fact.

also, have you guys ever considered putting up videos of the NA voice sessions, or some bloopers (ala the Legacy of Kain games) during them on your site ? those would be pretty fun to watch.

grandjedi6 said:
You're probably recognizing Yosuke's voice from something else. Yuri Lowenthal does alot of videogame voice work.

I can't remember off the top of my head though exactly which voice he's using in Persona 4

woah, yosuke = prince of persia :eek:

bad ass ..

some thoughts on the finale
so I beat the game with both the good and "true" endings a little while ago, i have to say personally i thought the ending and such was done much better then the scenario's in P3. The game went to another level for me once the whole nanako incident happened because that's what P3 lacked imo, a real personal motive for the MC.

I have to say that getting the true ending was pretty hidden, a regular player would probably never even realize that another dungeon exists, since i've been reading about it here i just assumed there was something more to do and kept going around until i triggered the true ending path.

When the boss started casting thousand curses on me continuously i shat my pants, didn't know it was supposed to be scripted :p

The ending was pretty well done but it would have been better if the hero wasn't a mute, i mean the tradition is getting pretty old guys. Everyone running with the train to see you off was a really nice moment.

I still think it would have been a thousand times cooler if you saw the P3 MC sitting on the seat next to you on the train.

now a general quesiton, what is igor supposed to be anyway ? i mean the guy knows everything.

Sallokin

Was reading the past page or so regarding the undub. I honestly can't fathom how people would find the P4 dub terrible in any way. I feel like it's been rock solid for the 20 or so hours I've put in to it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Looking forward to receiving DDS1 in the mail this week as well, though I won't be able to get to it for at least 3 or 4 months.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MC is lvl 36. I just started dungeon 4 (which is hilarious). What's the level I should aim for to fight the boss?

Tamanon

Banned
Y2Kev said:
MC is lvl 36. I just started dungeon 4 (which is hilarious). What's the level I should aim for to fight the boss?

I beat that boss around level 40 or 41, although depending on your character mix, 43 might be better. You *NEED* Mediarama.

I've never understood some people's need for the Japanese VA, because NA VA kills the subtle Japanese cultural nuances. I really doesn't make a difference because chances are if you're listening to the Japanese VA.....you're reading subtitles which doesn't convert any more so than someone READING those same subtitles. Unless you speak / understand Japanese....something will be lost in translation. I mean, my Japanese is decent as is my korean. But when my friends tell me they'd rather just listen to the Japanese voicing in some games because they don't want to lose anything in translation. I always have to point out the fact they're reading a subtitle.....which is a translation.....meaning something was just lost.

zoku88

Y2Kev said:
Lol, I think I ended up beating that dungeon at 37 :lol

Of course, Im playing on Normal, so...

Top Bottom