• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Boulayman

Hey guys, I was able to beat Shadow Kanji easily due to your advice ! Equiping a physical resistance persona + using Yousuke's Dekaja made the battle a breeze :)

I am about to start Rise's one now (just need to find that hint). One thing though, I am doing fairly well I think for most of the stats xcpt for my diligence one, that one really sucks, the sports club doesn't really seem to raise it for some reason :(

Spoilerized as requested by Volcynika

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Guys, can we start using the spoiler tag more, mainly on the names of the Shadows and story related things? Pretty please?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Shanks said:
I'm pretty sure it comes in a sleeve but I'm curious. Does the side b of the soundtrack come in a case or a paper sleeve?

It comes in a jewel case.

FredFish

ixix said:
So it's summer vacation and I need to get my Expression stat up to continue the Justice Social Link. But I don't have any books that boost it and I can't do the Sun Social Link since it's summer. And, of course, it's the one stat that the meat bowl challenge can't raise.

Any other quick and dirty ways to up it? I'm getting flashbacks to when my Social Link progress hopelessly derailed in the summer in Persona 3.

You can do translation at night as previously stated but there is a better (always get "significant[or substantial?] increase" option available during the day if it's sunny. You need to take the "Dojima Residence" loc from the travel hub screen and pet the cat in the alley next to the house. Bonus potential of getting Understanding raised as well.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
FredFish said:
You can do translation at night as previously stated but there is a better (always get "significant[or substantial?] increase" option available during the day if it's sunny. You need to take the "Dojima Residence" loc from the travel hub screen and pet the cat in the alley next to the house. Bonus potential of getting Understanding raised as well.
Nice one about the cat, thanks for the tip.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
FredFish said:

Ooh, that's handy to know. But as it turns out I was one round of translating away from hitting rank 5 in expression.

Looks like the Social Link train is back on the rails.

ashism

Has anyone done Quest 7: Desk Refurbishing? I can't find the tabletop anywhere. Gamefaq's guide says it's on floor 6 or 7 in Yukiko's Castle.

Anyone find the Laughing Table?

Volcynika

Boulayman

Spoiler tag that stuff. I've already gotten past that, but others exist that haven't.

Actually, even more users need to spoiler tag their stuff, like wangman31888. Yeesh.

iammeiam

So, um, if this is my first serious attempt at a SMT game (I got a little way into P3 before getting distracted), would I do myself serious harm by picking the 'Beginner' level? It doesn't appear to effect the story, and a training-wheels introduction to the apparently complex layered battle system seems like it could be a good thing.

Durante

@iammeiam:
You don't miss out on anything other than suspense/frustration (depending on your disposition) by picking "Beginner".

Though I'll probably incur the wrath of some I must say I don't consider the battle system all that complex/layered. When you get down to it you have
- elemental strengths/weaknesses
- buffs/debuffs/ailments
just like in most other JRPGs. The only differences are
- game over on MC death (which is what usually bothers people new to these games most)
- what happens when you exploit weaknesses (which makes most enemies you have already analyzed not even get a turn against you)
- Persona management/fusion (which seems horribly complex at first but is really just an extension of any other resource management)

Yaweee

Durante said:
@iammeiam:
You don't miss out on anything other than suspense/frustration (depending on your disposition) by picking "Beginner".

Though I'll probably incur the wrath of some I must say I don't consider the battle system all that complex/layered. When you get down to it you have
- elemental strengths/weaknesses
- buffs/debuffs/ailments
just like in most other JRPGs. The only differences are
- game over on MC death (which is what usually bothers people new to these games most)
- what happens when you exploit weaknesses (which makes most enemies you have already analyzed not even get a turn against you)
- Persona management/fusion (which seems horribly complex at first but is really just an extension of any other resource management)

The biggest difference is that the game is constructed where all those subtleties actually matter. You can't just run in with the default or Shuffle-won Personas, you can't run around with an exposed weakness, and you can't survive with using debuffs and the appropriate weaknesses. JRPGs have a long history being way too easy, but SMT is one of the few series that actually makes the player think for the average battle.

Darkman M

Yaweee said:
The biggest difference is that the game is constructed where all those subtleties actually matter. You can't just run in with the default or Shuffle-won Personas, you can't run around with an exposed weakness, and you can't survive with using debuffs and the appropriate weaknesses. JRPGs have a long history being way too easy, but SMT is one of the few series that actually makes the player think for the average battle.

Bolded for Truth.

Guled

I'm just wondering how many dungeon are there in the game? Also, P4 is way harder then P3, I would say one of the hardest RPG's I've played in a while, at least grinding is really fun so going back for a couple of extra levels is fine

firex

Blackjack said:
:lol WHAT. :lol

My level 84 Kanji has, like, 70+ strength and 30 Magic.
I was saying Yosuke grows into magic abilities and out of melee like Akihiko. Maybe it was a little hard to figure out from context, but just looking at their skill list should make that pretty obvious.

Durante

Yaweee said:
You can't just run in with the default or Shuffle-won Personas
I've done just that for the vast majority of Persona 3 and for 4 up to the point where I am (4th dungeon completed).

Yaweee said:
but SMT is one of the few series that actually makes the player think for the average battle.
And that's something I would contest. The average battle happens according to a very simple scheme for me:
Code:
if(known_enemies)
  if(weaknesses)
    do
      exploit_weaknesses(all) // optimally do this based on party skills/sp
    until(all_down)
    all_out_attack()
  else
    press_triangle()
  end
else
  if(got_advantage)
    test_all_elements() //cast a hit-all elemental spell with each party member
  else
    flee_or_vanish() // this may not be always or even most of the time be strictly necessary but is the safest choice 
  end
end
That is, of course, superior to the press_x() scheme for some JRPGs, but still not as deep or exciting as many claim.

Tetsuo9

bu bu I played with almost only strength and heal magic/buffs!

So I read there's an undub version released now?, How can I make one?, do I need the japanese game too?.

btw looking at youtube videos i'm thorn about yukiko's voice actors, both versions sounds so great to me :(.

Durante

Tetsuo9 said:
So I read there's an undub version released now?, How can I make one?, do I need the japanese game too?.

btw looking at youtube videos i'm thorn about yukiko's voice actors, both versions sounds so great to me :(.
There has been an undub since a few days after the release. The Japanese VA for Yukiko's "drunk" scene (
during the trip to P3's island
) is amazing.

Yaweee

Durante said:
I've done just that for the vast majority of Persona 3 and for 4 up to the point where I am (4th dungeon completed).

And that's something I would contest. The average battle happens according to a very simple scheme for me:

That is, of course, superior to the press_x() scheme for some JRPGs, but still not as deep or exciting as many claim.

I do agree that it is pretty formulaic, and could use a lot more variety. Better than most JRPGs, but there's not enough variety in the encounters, especially when Atlus uses the same basic battle system for 2-3 games in a row (Nocturne/DDS, and P4/P4)

You really are using default Persona? What levels have you beaten each of the dungeons at?

Tetsuo9

Durante said:
There has been an undub since a few days after the release. The Japanese VA for Yukiko's "drunk" scene (
during the trip to P3's island
) is amazing.
searching in youtube I don't find it, damn :(.

I really hope that with the next generation atlus games we can start seeing dubed and original japanese VA in every game, I hope!.

Durante

Yaweee said:
You really are using default Persona? What levels have you beaten each of the dungeons at?
Luckily for you I actually write stuff like that down! (Don't ask)
Dungeon 1 - 3 days- Clvl 16
Dungeon 2 - 1 day - Clvl 27
Dungeon 3 - 1 day - Clvl 35
Dungeon 4 - 1 day - Clvl 43 (did try at 40 first and actually failed after 1 hour of battle or so. Bastard)

Yaweee

Durante said:
Luckily for you I actually write stuff like that down! (Don't ask)
Dungeon 1 - 3 days- Clvl 16
Dungeon 2 - 1 day - Clvl 27
Dungeon 3 - 1 day - Clvl 35
Dungeon 4 - 1 day - Clvl 43 (did try at 40 first and actually failed after 1 hour of battle or so. Bastard)

Haha, the reason I asked was because I too kept track. I played on expert, and you are consistently 4 (or in once case, 3) levels higher than me, and I did most of them in one day as well.

Boulayman

QUick question about the undubbed thingy. If I finish the game with my dubbed version, will I be able to transfer my saves for the undubbed version (if I get a hold of it ?), is there a new game + in persona 4 ?

FredFish

Durante said:
...Dungeon 4 - 1 day - Clvl 43 (did try at 40 first and actually failed after 1 hour of battle or so. Bastard)

Heh. I HAD to beat that fight at lvl 39 because I had boxed myself in doing s.link and trait stuff which left me only two days to beat the dungeon. It really sucked because MC was 37 and support was a couple lvls behind him excepting
Rise
when I started the dungeon which meant I had to avoid a lot of fights working my way to the top in time. A couple pages back I had a rant about the end fight and yeah it was a really long, very draining battle
I needed to use a Soma near the end after I had broken his "shell" the third time; I was completely out of gas

NichM

Banned
Boulayman said:
QUick question about the undubbed thingy. If I finish the game with my dubbed version, will I be able to transfer my saves for the undubbed version (if I get a hold of it ?), is there a new game + in persona 4 ?

No, and the undub will also brick your system after deleting all the saved games on your card/HD.

Boulayman

grandjedi6 said:
Undub? Oh com'n now, is there even a reason for it?

Actually I think they did a great job with the dubbed version, Yosuke is particularly awesome :)

But a few posts ago, some guy was mentioning how Yukiko's voice was great in japanese and it made me want to hear it.

Thanks for the warning (though I find it suspiciously over the edge ^^), I'll stick with my dubbed version, I guess I let my 'anime fanboyish can't watch any anime is it's not in japanese with english subtitles' get the better of me.

Tetsuo9

grandjedi6 said:
Undub? Oh com'n now, is there even a reason for it?
Curiosity I guess? (because of watching anime or something). The dub is awesome and I loved it, finished the game and all, but still I wonder how the original VA was.

Fortunately I just found some dude that basically recorded all his japanese playthrough in youtube, search for MasterLL, really good scenes and VA in the japanese version too.

:lol @ 6/13 for me

Yukiko came to me at lunchtime asking to do stuff. I was thinking, well since she asked I might as well finish up my social link.

Then every school social link I have came to me one after another. I was like "damn did you fools line up waiting to ask me!?"

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Durante said:
Huh? No, it's amazing.

It's annoying to die twice on the first level when you think you'll breeze through it, because one strong enemy decides that mind charge + maragi or whatever takes my entire team out instantely :/

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Boulayman said:
Actually I think they did a great job with the dubbed version, Yosuke is particularly awesome :)

But a few posts ago, some guy was mentioning how Yukiko's voice was great in japanese and it made me want to hear it.

Thanks for the warning (though I find it suspiciously over the edge ^^), I'll stick with my dubbed version, I guess I let my 'anime fanboyish can't watch any anime is it's not in japanese with english subtitles' get the better of me.

Youtube man!

EDIT: Tetsuo has the right idea
Durante said:
Wanting to play with the original audio? I do wonder why Nich's so violently opposed to it, I wouldn't have bought P4 if I hadn't expected an undub to happen.

Huh? No, it's amazing.
If you want the undub so bad then buy the Japanese version. And of course Nich is opposed to it, Atlus is a localizer and you want to undo their job.

Wow, I just finished the last story dungeon, and I've got some thoughts/questions.

And I have to say that it was the easiest "final" boss that I've ever faced in an SMT game. Now, that may not be because of the game, but maybe because I'm loving the shit out of P4, and I my levels were okay (MC at 81, everyone else around 76). The only party member I didn't finish was Naoto, she was on Lv7 SLink, and I ended up screwing around and fighting Adachi on 12/14 just to test the waters with the boss, and I ended up beating it, so unfortunately I didn't get to finish her SLink. So anyways, I'm on 3/20, so would you guys recommend doing the Izanami dungeon? Is it harder than the rest of the game?

Overall, I've LOVEDLOVEDLOVED this game so far. I'll get more thoughts down when I've really finished it.

Boulayman

Thanks Tetsuo9 and grandjedi6, I'll finish the game first in dubbed version than I'll rewatch it on youtube with that MasterLL thingy. But grandjedi6, you were suggesting the japanese version too, did the japanese version have english subtitles ? I only took an intro level jap class so I don't think I could handle a whole rpg in japanese without subs. A friend of mine has both the japanese and american versions. If that's the case I can just ask him to lend that to me (but I think then I'll have to play it on my old ps2 since I think the ps3 is region locked for ps2 games). But that quite possibly may never happen since I have a HUGE backlog of games waiting to be played (I have only played 20 minutes of GTA 4 and I have had it for 6 months...) so I guess I'll just stick to youtube ^^

Yaweee

drtomoe123 said:
Wow, I just finished the last story dungeon, and I've got some thoughts/questions.

And I have to say that it was the easiest "final" boss that I've ever faced in an SMT game. Now, that may not be because of the game, but maybe because I'm loving the shit out of P4, and I my levels were okay (MC at 81, everyone else around 76). The only party member I didn't finish was Naoto, she was on Lv7 SLink, and I ended up screwing around and fighting Adachi on 12/14 just to test the waters with the boss, and I ended up beating it, so unfortunately I didn't get to finish her SLink. So anyways, I'm on 3/20, so would you guys recommend doing the Izanami dungeon? Is it harder than the rest of the game?

Overall, I've LOVEDLOVEDLOVED this game so far. I'll get more thoughts down when I've really finished it.

It was the easiest because you were way overleveled. That and the next dungeon are mostly the same level, so it will be a complete breeze.

Yaweee said:
It was the easiest because you were way overleveled. That and the next dungeon are mostly the same level, so it will be a complete breeze.

Alright, I'm not gonna complain because I LOVE grinding in SMT games. :lol

However, I probably wont' feel that way for long...I found me a cheap copy of Persona 1...so I'm gonna start on that next week and play through P1 and P2. :lol

Durante

grandjedi6 said:
If you want the undub so bad then buy the Japanese version. And of course Nich is opposed to it, Atlus is a localizer and you want to undo their job.
I don't want to undo their job -- in fact I very much appreciate what they do, I'd even claim that playing with Japanese VA gives you additional appreciation for that! Like translating Kuma's horrible Japanese puns into Teddy's equally horrible English puns that fit the same situation (thus maintaining the character). They did an exceptional job on that and I can't believe that's easy.

I guess I just don't see the big evil of playing undubs of games you bought. Even if you go with the legality angle it exactly mirrors the situation of downloading no-disc cracks for PC games you bought or ripping PSP games you bought to memory stick. All these are things that customers do to improve their experience that are not in the intention of the seller and illegal in many jurisdictions. Yet they are still perfectly acceptable on GAF -- and rightfully so, since they are not immoral and don't hurt developers in any way.

But I don't want to derail the thread further.

Getting back on track, for anyone that asked for captures of specific scenes some pages ago I have them all on a list and will work on it the next time I get into the dungeons. (I did the fourth one on the first day and with suimmer break and all manner of stuff inbetween I still haven't got access to a new one!)

NichM

Banned
Durante said:
I guess I just don't see the big evil of playing undubs of games you bought. Even if you go with the legality angle it exactly mirrors the situation of downloading no-disc cracks for PC games you bought or ripping PSP games you bought to memory stick. All these are things that customers do to improve their experience that are not in the intention of the seller and illegal in many jurisdictions. Yet they are still perfectly acceptable on GAF -- and rightfully so, since they are not immoral and don't hurt developers in any way.

They hurt our feelings, for one. I've quoted this before on the P3 undub, and here it is again on the release notes for the P4 undub:

some asshole said:
Please stop ruining your games with such horrible english dubs!
We are forced to go to extremes like this because you
are making the games we love unplayable!

"Unplayable"? GTFO with that. We worked really hard to make sure P4's dub would be better than P3's--I personally think we did a pretty good job--and people like him (and you, saying you're "improving your experience" by stripping out a major part of the localization) just assume it's 1996-era garbage without ever giving it a chance. There are parts in the finished product of P4 where I laughed out loud not because of the text onscreen, but because the VA nailed the line so perfectly. When you play the undub, you turn up your nose at all that.

Tetsuo9

Wow that was the release note of a pirated version?, what a douchebag :lol.

Keep doing that awesome job Atlus usa!.

About that end game spoiler:
big eye wasn't that difficult but he killed me once in that fucking moment that many people died, after the first or second fog

NichM said:
They hurt our feelings, for one. I've quoted this before on the P3 undub, and here it is again on the release notes for the P4 undub:

"Unplayable"? GTFO with that. We worked really hard to make sure P4's dub would be better than P3's--I personally think we did a pretty good job--and people like him (and you, saying you're "improving your experience" by stripping out a major part of the localization) just assume it's 1996-era garbage without ever giving it a chance. There are parts in the finished product of P4 where I laughed out loud not because of the text onscreen, but because the VA nailed the line so perfectly. When you play the undub, you turn up your nose at all that.

I completely agree. P4 is one of the few voice acted jRPGs that has EVER made me laugh out loud. Yeah, some games like Star Ocean 2 were somewhere near "unplayable" because of the dub, but like Nich said, P4 is NOT some piece of 1996-era garbage.

Top Bottom