• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

firex

man, dungeon #5 dropped a crazy good accessory that almost breaks the game for me. Granted, there's better, but since it basically grants Invigorate 2 on whoever equips it, I don't have to really worry about SP in dungeons.

speaking of dungeons, spoiler gameplay question:
Is there an optional dungeon like Monad block that lets you level up super fast to fuse the higher level stuff? Because I'm like level 53 or 54 and I'm in the Heaven dungeon already, so I know it's relatively late in the game.

Darkman M

firex said:
man, dungeon #5 dropped a crazy good accessory that almost breaks the game for me. Granted, there's better, but since it basically grants Invigorate 2 on whoever equips it, I don't have to really worry about SP in dungeons.

speaking of dungeons, spoiler gameplay question:
Is there an optional dungeon like Monad block that lets you level up super fast to fuse the higher level stuff? Because I'm like level 53 or 54 and I'm in the Heaven dungeon already, so I know it's relatively late in the game.

I actually found a chakara ring in one of the golden chest, which cuts SP use in half! That was on my first run though currently im about half way through my second run.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Vorador said:
I envy you guys, most of the stuff i've found on golden chests is crap :(

its still probably better then finding more chest key's to unlock more chests in a golden one >_>

firex

I found horrible stuff until dungeon 5, then I started getting actual useful stuff. although the claw I got for Teddie is debatable... mainly because I swear, weapon attack value is meaningless compared to p3.

Wow, talk about lucky. Within like 5 minutes :

- Upright Magician turned Decarabia's Megidola into Megidolaon
- Encountered a Luxury Hand. First turn, it attacks, misses, falls -> AOA -> KO.

epmode

eXistor said:
I could be wrong, but I think the loot is a lot better if it's raining.
As far as I can tell, a rainy day only allows the rainy day bonus enemies to spawn. You can unlock better equipment at the store with the materials they drop. The golden chests seem the same, regardless of the weather.

totowhoa

Banned
Argh, Dungeon 5 question. I got to somewhere around floor 6-8, where I stumbled into the second (or was it third?) door that required I.D. to enter with no stairs on that floor. Figured I missed another mid-boss like in the last dungeon, but I thoroughly searched all the way down to floor 2 or 3 with no luck at all. What the heck am I doing wrong here?

In other news, dungeon 5 is by far the most well done yet, visually speaking. I felt like most of the dungeons (including the 4th, as cool as it was) were repeats with different skins for the most part. This one actually looks a bit more different all around. Especially loving the music as well.

firex

To get the keys for dungeon 5, you'll find the first on the 8th floor I think (or 7th, but either way it was near the end) and then you backtrack to the previous floor and get the other key.

totowhoa

Banned
For fuck's sake, how did I miss it? In a chest I guess? I thought I got them all with treasure radar. Oh well, time to go back up and find it.

Edit: unless it's in that damn locked chest on the top floor...
Edit 2: apparently it wasn't locked. Guess I shouldn't have skipped it earlier when I was keyless :D Thanks, firex!

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
firex said:
That + Cool breeze and my MC has full sp most of the time. At least now i can retire my sarasvati with invigorate 2.

Tenks

firex said:
To get the keys for dungeon 5, you'll find the first on the 8th floor I think (or 7th, but either way it was near the end) and then you backtrack to the previous floor and get the other key.

You can also trade fish for keys at the old man

Tenks

Guled said:
Dose fishing waste a time block? I never really tried it, is it useful?

It does but not a very important time block. It uses the time block during the evening when you return home. You can then head out to fish again.

Fishing is better with the more diligence you have. The more diligence you have the more fish you can catch per trip. Its not the most useful thing in the world but he does sometimes have some good items for trade. Like I said he also will trade fish for keys which translate into items.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
the fishing mini game is nothing but a chore !

it took me over a thousand retries before i caught the guardian...

Tenks

Oh well I completely missed the point then haha

I was sitting here wondering why they're discussing finding keys/treasure on certain floors in a randomly generated environment

totowhoa

Banned
Dungeon 5 bosses = mega letdown. Ah well! It has had the best enemy encounters in the game thus far, without a doubt. It felt similar to the first time I played through an SMT game (which was Nocturne). It was tough to abuse weaknesses. Granted, the reason I had so much trouble with that my first time through Nocturne was 'cause I played it like a final fantasy game for the first 10 hours or so :D

It was nice going through a dungeon with enemies that had few obvious weaknesses and lots of null/repel.

Yaweee

#6 on Gamasutra's Game of the Year list

3.5/4 from the associated press, but I had absolutely no idea they do reviews. It probably won't get counted on the aggregate sites.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
Sklorenz said:
Dungeon 5 bosses = mega letdown. Ah well! It has had the best enemy encounters in the game thus far, without a doubt. It felt similar to the first time I played through an SMT game (which was Nocturne). It was tough to abuse weaknesses. Granted, the reason I had so much trouble with that my first time through Nocturne was 'cause I played it like a final fantasy game for the first 10 hours or so :D

It was nice going through a dungeon with enemies that had few obvious weaknesses and lots of null/repel.
Yay so the top floor boss is easy for once?

totowhoa

Banned
NoitoraJirugajr said:
Yay so the top floor boss is easy for once?

Easier, yes, assuming you've got full SP. I did not have to grind a single level to kill it (and the MC was at 49 or 50). It still takes a good 20 minutes to kill, though :D

Ledsen

Sklorenz said:

I can't believe you have the patience to find all the weaknesses by yourself, all the while risking swift death! I just use a guide :p :p

Tetsuo9

Ledsen said:
I can't believe you have the patience to find all the weaknesses by yourself, all the while risking swift death! I just use a guide :p :p
You are having half the fun!. I didn't use a guide at all until THAT point.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Call me crazy but I have fun finding the weaknesses by myself. And it's so satisfying to get it right in the first try.

Ikael

As a newcomer to the series, I just came here to post that this is my most wanted game bar none. Persona 3 made me fell in love with JRPGs again, even if havent finished. Still, there are some issues that I have with Persona 4 for what the people have said:

- I do love the way you can dosify to grind and see story at your own pace that the persona 3 system offered. Is this "more frantic" approach too much forced?

- I thought that persona 3 great missed opportunity was to make each character (specially secondary characters) interactuate more between each other and being able to alter the outcome of their stories depending on this. Is that possibility present on Persona 4?

- The way you enter the battle (prepared, unprepared, or surprising the enemy) does still makes so much of a huge difference?

totowhoa

Banned
NoitoraJirugajr said:
No way, guide gets rid of half the annoyance and frustration.

The whole purpose of playing SMT! I've yet to use a guide to get past anything challenging or for fusion... I have a lot of fun with the challenge. I don't think I've died too much so far, anyway. Maybe a dozen times or so, and I'm between dungeons five and six. Dying just encourages me, even if I'm running the risk of breaking a controller at times :D

Volcynika

Sklorenz said:
The whole purpose of playing SMT! I've yet to use a guide to get past anything challenging or for fusion... I have a lot of fun with the challenge. I don't think I've died too much so far, anyway. Maybe a dozen times or so, and I'm between dungeons five and six. Dying just encourages me, even if I'm running the risk of breaking a controller at times :D

:lol

I have the guide and I still use GAF's advice moreso than that! I loves my SMT taking my party and going "DIE."

totowhoa

Banned
Volcynika said:
:lol

I have the guide and I still use GAF's advice moreso than that! I loves my SMT taking my party and going "DIE."

:D

I had fewer problems when you can start fusing 4+ personas at dungeon 4 with resistance to physical and instant death, among other things. I try to remember to keep something like that as my default persona when initially entering a new portion of a dungeon. Also, that accessory that prevents one-shots once per battle.

Volcynika

Sklorenz said:
:D

Gets much easier when you can start fusing 4+ personas at dungeon 4 with resistance to physical and instant death, among other things. I try to remember to keep something like that as my default persona when initially entering a new portion of a dungeon. Also, that accessory that prevents one-shots once per battle.

Yeah I got lucky earlier, I used Magarula on the enemies, they all reflected it back at the Protag. Luckily, that Persona nulled wind attacks, so my heart started beating again after I realized that.

I'm up to the 2nd dungeon story-boss and only now realized that if you hit a downed enemy, it makes them dizzy, which acts much like the 'downed' status in P3 where they lose turns.

I'm not sure if it's specific to hitting them with their weakness or not. For example, I used magaru on a group of wind-weak shadows and they went down. I cast magaru again on my extra turn and they all got dizzy.

Kevtones

Maxed out my first S-Link with Yosuke. Kind of funny how it ends :lol

And this Mitsuro Kubo character kind of freaks me out. His eyes really disturb me.

Joule

nakedsushi said:
I'm up to the 2nd dungeon story-boss and only now realized that if you hit a downed enemy, it makes them dizzy, which acts much like the 'downed' status in P3 where they lose turns.

I'm not sure if it's specific to hitting them with their weakness or not. For example, I used magaru on a group of wind-weak shadows and they went down. I cast magaru again on my extra turn and they all got dizzy.

If you hit an enemy with their weakness after being downed it's 100% dizzy. If you hit a downed enemy with a physical attack it's 50% chance of dizzy.

Kevtones said:
Maxed out my first S-Link with Yosuke. Kind of funny how it ends :lol

And this Mitsuro Kubo character kind of freaks me out. His eyes really disturb me.

He reminds me of someone from the Gorillaz.

also kinda O/T, but I want to play more SMT games, should I start with DDS or Nocturne?

Volcynika

YuriLowell said:
He reminds me of someone from the Gorillaz.

also kinda O/T, but I want to play more SMT games, should I start with DDS or Nocturne?

If you're looking for less frustration, I'd recommend DDS. Haven't beaten Nocturne (fuck the Matador), but if you go for DDS, make sure you get the second one too. Nocturne seems less character focused (since you're only one person with your demons), but it's a great game too.

2DMention

Banned
I don't use the guide unless I'm looking up boss strategies. The only way to do the quests is to talk to every NPC every day w/o a guide.

What do you guys do on Rainy days? I try to get the beef bowl special whenever I can.

I recently started the Janitor job
Looks like the character for Devil is just as interesting for P3

Part of the fun of these games is to see the characterizations for the different Tarot cards.

Is it worth it early on to use the
Fox
to heal in the dungeons?

Volcynika

2DMention said:
I don't use the guide unless I'm looking up boss strategies. The only way to do the quests is to talk to every NPC every day w/o a guide.

What do you guys do on Rainy days? I try to get the beef bowl special whenever I can.

I recently started the Janitor job
Looks like the character for Devil is just as interesting for P3

Part of the fun of these games is to see the characterizations for the different Tarot cards.

Is it worth it early on to use the
Fox
to heal in the dungeons?

I'm rank 4 on the
Devil
and it's so far been....uh...odd, to say the least. As for healing, it's VERY expensive, unless you
level up the Hermit social link

A time-consuming yet cheaper way to heal:
Go to earlier dungeons -- Find an upright Judgement or Death Arcana Chance, and your SP gets filled up. If it's upright Death, healing yourself with SP is very easy and not too costly (especially for someone like Yukiko, who has a ton)

Top Bottom